Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Bollywood Kung-Fu!!

Blog Entries

Bollywood Kung-Fu!!

LOL @ Bollywood attempting Hong Kong style Kung-Fu action! But still, it was entertaining! Actually, if more Bollywood films did this, I'd actually watch more of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeDFeox88IY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQgvbVMBN2I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fd3BJxySbbM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8qu-clVXSQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twm9xqD-ZB4

The 10 Elements of Choy Lay Fut:
    Kum, Na, Gwa, Sau, Chop, Pow, Kup, Biu, Ding, Jong

The 13 Principles of Taijiquan:
    Ward Off, Roll Back, Press, Push, Pluck, Elbow, Shoulder, Split, Forward, Back, Left, Right, Central Equilibrium

And it doesn't hurt to practice stuff from:
    Mounts, Guards, and Side Mounts!

Austin Kung-Fu Academy

I guess it's all in keeping with the wide range of Indian Cinema themes.

BTW, I remember an Indian movie from the B&W era, about the classic "Sohrab & Rustum" epic. There was a great fight scene showing a wrestling match involving the hero. Very well choreographed. Unfortunately, I can't remember the title and other production details.

Blog Entries
    Yeah, it seemed like every now and again back in the earlier days of Bollywood, they'd have a movie with some combat stuff in it. I wonder if there are any that feature their native martial art, Kalari Payattu?

All I know is that if Bollywood made more films that looked like this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twm9xqD-ZB4

I'd be watching a H3LL of a lot more of it!!

Ward Off, Roll Back, Press, Push, Pluck, Elbow, Shoulder, Split, Forward, Back, Left, Right, Central Equilibrium

Austin Kung-Fu Academy

There's a lot of HK cinema in India

However, I've yet to find any decent fight scenes. Bollywood can choreograph a dance number like no other cinema in the world, but their fight scenes leave a lot to be desired and I'm a fan of the Bollywood genre.

They used to call Rajini Kanth "the Jackie Chan of India". Muthu (1995) was a big film of his. It's almost all up on youtube, but I wasn't about to sift through it to get to the fight scenes (although I recommend the hiccup dance, if you can find it). I did find this Rajini Kanth fight scene - it's just the beginning, but you get the idea.

As for Kaliripayattu, I think Jackie did more to bring this to the forefront than Bollywood. Did you see the DVD extras in the Myth? Great stuff. I'm not sure those made it to the Sony American release DVD.

No discussion of Bollywood kung fu would be complete without dance the kung fu.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Blog Entries
    Gene,

So in the Bollywood movies you've seen, have you seen a prominent female action hero in any?

Women are definitely portrayed in a particular light, and violent action ain't one of them...and women are the centerpoint of all Indian films (most of them are love triangle stories). After all, Aishwarya Rai wasn't chosen to be a Bond girl because she had any talent of any sort.

There is an action scene of Silk Smita, whoever she is:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=La_pHXvuWSY

Other than that, do you forsee Bollywood films ever entertaining the ass kicking kung-fu chick or "girls with guns" thing at all? Don't know if the Indian markets could go for something like that...

Austin Kung-Fu Academy

Nice link

yutyeesam, you just sent me deep into the web world of Silk Smitha. I'd never heard of her before. Sad story, it seems. Wikipedia says she hanged herself a decade ago.

I haven't seen any Femme Fatales in Bollywood yet, but my exploration of that genre is fairly limited, truth be told. Bollywood is freaking huge and I've only focused on the major stuff. Who knows what treasures lie in the less known B films?

Again, I'd say the Myth was stand out. Jackie quite literally turned me on to Mallika Sherawat and her fight alongside Jackie is in my opinion, Jackie's last great fight scene to date. It was brilliant choreography in the way that only Jackie Chan can orchestrate. I'm still hoping he delivers another like again. Anyway, the film was clearly marketed to India more than to America, so maybe Jackie might start a trend. I'm hoping. I'd love to see more Bollywood, especially femme fatales - if you know of anything, recommend some titles. There was this film I saw a video for when I was eating in the local Indian joint - had a lot of actors and actresses that I didn't recognize - it was set in Brazil and the video was this intense Capoeira/Drumming/Bollywood dance number. Gotta find that one.

As for Ash, mind your tongue, yutyeesam, you're talking about my wife in a future life. I'm hoping if I'm good, she'll be for my next incarnation. She so stole my heart in Devdas. That finale scene - omg - that's what Bollywood is about. I get misty just thinking about it. Anyway, did you catch The Last Legion? It's was all about Ash as a kick ass sword swinging full out femme fatale. I enjoyed it, but wouldn't recommend it to anyone else, unless they are a hardened Ash fan and love swords. Not sure there are many more like me in that regard, which is probably a good thing.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Blog Entries

OK, you've sold me...

I'm gonna have to check out The Myth this weekend. I'd heard that it wasn't a good Jackie film, but you have really been giving it the 2 thumbs up! Since I've watched my share of Bollywood, perhaps I will like it too. The Myth is on the agenda for the weekend!

Ah yes, Devdas...no, you're right, Ash was good in it (Madhuri Dixit was better ). Interesting about the Last Legion, I'll have to look into it.

Do you know about Benny Lava?? It's not Bollywood, it's Tollywood!! (Telugu Cinema)
    If you haven't seen it, then prepare to have your life changed forever:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZA1NoOOoaNw

Austin Kung-Fu Academy

You need a bun to bite Benny Lava!

Good one, yutyeesam. Benny Lava was pretty freakin hilarious. Are there more where that came from?

I'd refrain from saying I'm giving The Myth two thumbs up. I found the Myth interesting, but uneven. There's some really good stuff in there, but the film on the whole tries to do way too much and gets all bogged down with itself by the end. The finale CGI fight is disappointing. A Jackie Chan movie should never end in a CGI fight. It should end in some mind boggling death defying stunt. I can easily see why many people didn't like it. People have so many expectations of Jackie now. I think the best stuff was the India scenes, but that's only in the beginning of the film and they never go back for it, so it makes for a premature martial climax, if you will. For the most part, I'd only recommend it to people who are fairly familiar with all of Jackie's work, not just the American films.

Madhuri Dixit was a better dancer, for sure. I just read where Devdas was her last film. That's a shame. I'm eager to hear your take on Last Legion. Like I said, I'd only recommend it to Ash fans, which perhaps for some absurd preposterous reason, you are not, and sword lovers, which you might be. I don't know.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

how about Bollywood Tai Chi?

Koena horse-rides, does Tai Chi for role
    Subhash K. Jha [Wednesday, October 24, 2007]

Mumbai, Oct 25 (IANS) Dusky actress Koena Mitra is busy doing a lot of horse-riding and other rugged activities these days apparently for an international project, details of which she refuses to divulge.

She is said to be playing a sensuous warrior with supernatural powers in an international film entitled "Karn" to be co-produced by Pritish Nandy Communications (PNC).

Koena, who was last seen in "Apna Sapna Money Money", spent May and June in Hong Kong training in Tai Chi and other martial arts. Koena was chosen because PNC's American partners for the project were reportedly looking for someone dusky, husky and athletic. PNC sent them a DVD of the film "Ek Khiladi Ek Haseena" featuring Koena.

"I won't deny that I've been training for a film. But I can't right now reveal what it is. I'll say this though...once you are trained in the international martial arts, your body and mind become toned permanently. You can take on any action role," Koena told IANS.

The Bengali actress, however, claims the rigorous practice sessions are for a cop's role in a Bollywood film by a new director. She also says that she chooses her roles carefully.

"I've always been very careful with my assignments. There's no point in doing a dozen films per year, which come and go. From my first release, Sanjay Gupta's 'Musafir', to my most recent 'Apna Sapna Money Money' for Subhash Ghai, producers and directors have repeated me in their films.

"It's this faith that I've found in Subhash Ghai, Pritish Nandy, Sanjay Gupta and other Bollywood bigwigs that has kept me going. Otherwise, I'd have simply left."

Prod her a bit more about the international project and she sighs: "Why do we place so much importance on international offers? To me, making a name in Bollywood is far more important than trying to find a place abroad."

The character that's she is supposed to play in "Karn" isn't Indian. After John Abraham in Deepa Mehta's "Luna", Koena would be the first Indian actor to break the ethnic barrier.

But it's been a stressful time for Koena on the personal front.

"My father has been unwell and in hospital. I've been flying in and out of Kolkata. In the middle of all this personal trauma I had to fly off to Hong Kong for some intense action training," she said.

So why can't she just get her father over to Mumbai?

"Oh, how I'd love that!" Koena exclaimed. "But my sister studies in Kolkata and my parents can't come away. It would be a dream to have them over with me. But wishes can't be horses," the actress said.
    This article is much more interesting after you've had a look at Koena Mitra.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Blog Entries
    Gene,
    If you enjoyed Benny Lava, then I think you'll also enjoy GIRLY MAAAAN!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtJRNyPK-lc

Interesting take on the Myth. I'll report back on it after the weekend when I see it. I'll look into Last Legion as well if I can this weekend (might be too much Bollywood for the Missus at one time, tho - and she's Indian! )

Madhuri is also a better actress than Ash, doncha think? She shows more versatility and range. By the way, have you seen her spicy little number, Choli Ke Peeche? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHO6mQmeA-o

Sword LOVER? Uh, no...heh! But, I am indeed a fan of good sword work. Dong Fang Bu Bai, baby!

Interesting about Koena Mitra. She's my people (Bengali, from Kolkata). Tai Chi would be awesome. If you look at the movements of the silk reeling in Chen style, and look at the hand movements in Kathak dance and Bengali folk dance, you'll see lots of similarities.

Last edited by yutyeesam; 10-25-2007 at 10:57 PM.

Austin Kung-Fu Academy

Blog Entries

The Myth, et al

Just saw The Myth. Gene, you were right on. The moment he left India the film turned to crap. He should do a film where he stays focused there...he should just try to do a Jackie meets Bollywood - they both have camp in common, so why not?

But yeah, the fight scenes all in India on the glue tarp and with the Kalari guys was pretty sweet.

I just youtubed bits of the Last Legion. Looks pretty darn corny. And Ash with a sword and fighting? I just don't buy it. Perhaps if I didn't know who she was, then it'd be different. But here's a clip:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HIVRnF2CzE

Since you're an Ash fan, you might like Dil Ka Rishta...but it's pretty dang cheezy. I mean, even more'n usual.

I dug Taal. Taal was awesome, b/c the music was top notch. Have you heard the the Anglicized version of the song Ishq Bina from Taal?

Original (from the filmi Taal): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqViYYmzSBg

Anglicized (from the Broadway musical Bombay Dreams): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NV42kCyPsJ4
    (pay no attn to the Doctor Who video lol)

Austin Kung-Fu Academy

Did you see the HK Myth DVD?

It has this special extra that just focuses on the Kalari - shows some traditional katar drills that are just wicked. Plus there's this wild chain whip like weapon - only a quick shot of some guy swinging it around. I've never seen that one and have no idea of what it was. Very cool. The extra is not on American release, only the HK version.

Last Legion is very corny. But it's Ash. With swords. I love corny?

yutyeesam, you're Bollywood fu is kicking my butt. You've forced me to counter by fighting dirty.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Blog Entries
    Ah, that would explain the complete lack of any special features on the disc I rented of The Myth! That would be very cool to see.

From what I've seen of it, Kalari is a very cool martial art, and has been incorporated into dance performances and such. There should be more recognition of it from Bollywood! I've seen that thing that's like a chain whip, it's like a superflexible long piece of sheet metal! Wicked!

That video was funny! It reminded me of Curry and Rice Girl:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95xw65uikXg

Man, have you seen Chori Chori Chupke Chupke? There's a HOT song in there called No. 1 Punjabi (stars Salman Khan and Rani Mukherjee):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utVGndoQ_Hs
    I could totally see having breakaway shots to choreographed scenes of Kalaripayattu done to the beat, in almost a Capoeira like fashion...there's so much potential here!

Austin Kung-Fu Academy

That sounds like it!

It looks like it is flexible, but instead of being made up of tubular metal segments like a chain whip, the segments are like small squares of sheet metal. It looks fairly long. There's only a quick shot of someone swinging it about in the HK Myth special features so I couldn't get a good look at all. What is that?!? Got a name?

BTW, check out this thread Kalari on the southern forum.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Ok, check this out

Here's the thing I think you're talking about at about 1:04. I think the thing I'm talking about is slightly different because it's jointed. I gotta look at that Myth extra again. Maybe my mind is playing tricks on me once more.

And while you're in youtube, you must check this out. It just made my day. It'd be even better if you could explain it to me, yutyeesam.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips