Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Bollywood Kung-Fu!!

Madhuri Dixit and Gulaab Gang have dominated the Shaolin newsfeed lately.

Ouch. That is a terrible opening sentence.

The twin force behind ‘Gulaab Gang’
    Madhuri Dixit and Juhi Chawla team up for the first time in women-centric drama
    By Manjusha Radhakrishnan, Senior Reporter
    Published: 10:27 March 6, 2014

Image Credit: Supplied
    Madhuri Dixit scenes in Gulaab Gang

It calls for courage to admit that being in a perpetual state of insecurity is not an easy emotion to deal with. Bollywood actress Juhi Chawla, who features in this week’s release Gulaab Gang, stands proof. In this women-centric drama, she shares screen space with the ‘90s superstar and expert dancer Madhuri Dixit — a role that Chawla would have rejected a decade ago.

“Back then, I wasn’t secure enough about my own ability and whether I should be there,” Chawla said in an interview with tabloid!. She feared there were would be petty comparisons drawn on who got a better role or who came off looking better. Her fears are rational since the two were the most sought-after heroines in the ‘90s and they often lobbied for the same plum acting projects.

“But today, I am not bound by those thoughts. I do things to please myself. And once I had that figured out, I went into the film with the confidence that I can pull it off and together we will make the mark.”

Chawla, who was known for her syrupy girl-next-door roles, has taken on a manipulative politician’s role in Gulaab Gang. According to her, as soon as she made peace with the fact that Dixit who plays the good-hearted Rajjo may walk away with the best lines in the film, it got a lot easier.

Her reasoning? A movie can always be spiced up with a menacing villain. But she wonders if people would buy into her meanness or just “laugh at her attempt”?

Sheer evil

“There are only grey shades. I am just pure evil and the interesting bit is that there’s no reason behind that manipulative behaviour. She didn’t struggle in her childhood nor was she a victim of abuse,” Chawla said.

In complete contrast is Dixit’s character who wields a baton and forms an all-women vigilante group in her village to fight injustices against women. She’s an angel-incarnate who employs aggressive methods to clean up society.

“But it’s not a male bashing film. It’s a film that will entertain and inspire women to take charge. We are saying that education is the key to a better future. Unless there’s knowledge, there’s not going to be any improvement in the situation of women. I believe in that,” Dixit said.

While their cause is noble, in real life, the Gulaab Gang team is battling a lawsuit filed by activist Sampat Lal who claims its makers didn’t get permission to make a film on her life. She formed Gulabi Gang, a group of pink sari-clad women vigilantes from Uttar Pradesh. Based on her allegations, the Delhi High Court has ordered a stay on the release of the film in India until May 8. However, the UAE local distributors have gone ahead with their release in this region.

Ask Dixit about the issue and she adopts a diplomatic stand. “The producers will be able to answer that question, but this film is a salute to all the women who are doing extraordinary work,” Dixit said, quoting Lal and Stop Acid Attacks campaigner Laxmi as the paragons of virtue.

Action scenes

“Gulaab Gang will entertain, educate and inspire,” Dixit said. The mother-of-two, who took a sabbatical from Bollywood in 1999 after her marriage to US-based doctor Sriram Madhav Nene, is back in form. The trailers show her indulging in a fierce hand-to-hand combat, a feat that she pulled off without a body double.

“I knew taekwondo and that helped me a bit because your basics are covered. We also had a shaolin instructor who taught me how to hold the laatis [batons] and use it. The challenging part was to look like at ease with it,” Dixit said.

“You know what, the action was a bit like dancing. You just need to find balance, be fluid and learn to be at ease with your hand and feet,” she added.

Interestingly, the Mumbai-raised star, 46, felt right at home playing a pink sari-clad evangelical spirit from a small town.

“I may now live in a city. But I had uncles and aunts whom I visited in villages often, so it was not a new thing for me … but this film made me realise that there is a large number of people living in villages and their struggles are so different from the small percentage that’s living in the Indian cities in their high-rise apartments. Sometimes our head is in the clouds and we are not aware of what’s going on in these villages,” Dixit said.

Not preachy

While Gulaab Gang aims to inspire, its villain Chawla is clear that her film will never turn preachy.

“Films are primarily for entertainment. There’s a social message but we are presenting it in a different manner … There’s lot of dialogue baazi [conversations that make an impact] in the film. Remember Amitabh Bachchan’s famous movie dialogue that goes Hum jahan khade ho jaate hain, line wahi se shuru hoti hain [Where I stand, the queue beings from there] in Kaalia, nobody speaks like that in real life, but you wish you did during a confrontation. And Gulaab Gang has plenty of such crackling lines that’s packed with action and masala [fiery],” Chawla said.

While the women in Gulaab Gang are shown as a formidable force, the reality for Bollywood actresses when it comes to being courted with meaty roles is grim.

“Good roles for women are few and far between. A role like the one in Gulaab Gang was never offered to me in the past. When you asked me about women-centric films, I couldn’t name one in a snap and that’s not a good sign. Usually, the women in Bollywood films lend beauty and colour. But I hope more women-centric films are made in future. We are up for it,” Chawla said.

Madhuri Dixit indulges in fierce combat scenes in Gulaab Gang, a feat that she pulled off without a body double.
    This movie looks unusual. I'm not sure if I'm intrigued yet.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

f*****g

Actress and VJ Rhea Chakraborty groped in Mumbai, uses martial arts to kick her molester, files FIR
    Mar 20, 2014 at 12:13pm IST

Mumbai: Actress and VJ Rhea Chakraborty proved effectively that every girl should be taught self defence skills early on to defend herself in dangerous situations till help arrived. Rhea, who appeared in the film 'Mere Dad Ki Maruti', tweeted on Wednesday that she was groped by a man in her apartment building.

The man, who she described as "well dressed", groped her while she was taking a stroll in her apartment complex at 5 PM. There were security guards in the vicinity but before they could come to her rescue, Rhea, who is trained in martial arts, kicked her assailant hard and screamed.

She has filed a first information report at the Khar police station and has seen the CCTV footage.

Actress and VJ Rhea Chakraborty proved effectively that every girl should be taught self defence skills early on.

"I won't let this go. Going to file a complaint at Khar police station. Action needs to be taken, or are we waiting for 1000s more to get molested..?" she tweeted.

"Is anyone going to bother, elections are round the corner! Mumbai is suffocatingly unsafe. Can a girl not walk in to her own building at 5 pm? Where is the f*****g guarantee of not getting molested?" she said.
    I like an Bollywood starlet that can say "f*****g"
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Ouch. That is a terrible opening sentence.

This movie looks unusual. I'm not sure if I'm intrigued yet.
    ------------------------
    Have not seen the movie but Madhuri Dixit is still superb specially in dancing and singing
    and acting too.
    joy chaudhuri

Shaolin Sandalwood siren

Know the fitness mantra of Sandalwood sirens
    TNN | Jun 8, 2014, 08.50 AM IST

1 Being a Bengali, food is always a top priority for me. I find it tough to follow a diet. So this year, keeping that in mind, fitness has become a ritual for me.
    A friend trained from China in martial arts has been teaching me Shaolin fitness strategies, which is my kind of workout because it's very artistic and helps me strengthen the body and keep the mind calm. Along with that, I also learn selfdefence, and working out with nunchucks. The variety holds my interest without making the workout monotonous. I look forward to a healthier and more powerful year.

-Aindrita Ray
    India has the world beat when it comes to Shaolin Sandalwood sirens. RESPECT!
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Sonakshi Sinha

Sonakshi Sinha sandalwood siren.

There is also the Bollywood Warrior remake, which I just posted here.

Sonakshi Sinha learns to fight
    Thursday, 12 June 2014 - 6:30am IST | Place: Mumbai | Agency: DNA

Sonakshi Sinha, who is playing a college girl in SR Murugadoss's untitled film, will also be seen doing some action scenes. She will undergo a 30-day martial arts workshop under the guidance of experts from Thailand. The film will go on floors in November.

Says a source close to Sonakshi, "It's a completely heroine-oriented script with the actress doing the kind of action a hero does. Murugadoss has been telling people that Sonakshi is the 'hero' of his film. The action-oriented film will require Sonakshi to undergo an extensive 30-day training in martial arts prior to the shoot. Martial arts experts will be flying down to Mumbai to teach her. She also consulted a few of her friends like Prabhudheva, Akshay Kumar and Shahid Kapoor about the art form. That is why she has been losing a lot of weight - to get a fit and lithe body for the film. While actresses have been known to do lot of action-oriented scenes in films, this will have Sonakshi actually fighting with the villains and fending them off with martial arts techniques."

The actress will start Murugadoss's film after completing Tevar with Arjun Kapoor and Ajay Devgn.

Other actions heroines
    Kangana Ranaut in Revolver Rani
    Madhuri Dixit Nene and Juhi Chawla in Gulab Gang
    Priyanka Chopra in Don and Don 2
    Deepika Padukone in Chandni Chowk To China
    Aiwshwarya Rai Bachchan in Jodha Akbar
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Rani Mukerji

Rani Mukerji: All Indian schools should make martial arts a compulsory subject
    Thu, June 26, 2014 5:20pm UTC by Prateek Sur

Aditya Chopra’s wifey was all praises for Krav Maga, which she performs in Mardaani

Rani Mukerji has garnered a lot of praises for the action sequences in her upcoming film Mardaani. Mrs Aditya Chopra informed that she took special training in an Israeli martial art form called Krav Maga for all the action sequences. Talking about the current state of women safety in India, she stressed on the fact that Krav Maga is not a very tough martial art form and all Indian schools should make martial arts a compulsory subject in the curriculum.

If we recall Akshay Kumar has time and again stressed on the importance of martial arts in, not just the safety and protection, but also the well being of an individual. Rani as well stressed upon the importance of martial arts when she unveiled the trailer of her upcoming film Mardaani recently at YRF Studios. It was not that she was promoting Krav Maga, but she said that not just girls but also boys should be trained in any form of martial arts.

We hope this is not just for the promotion of the film and she as well tries to inspire youngsters to take up martial arts, just like Akshay Kumar does. Hai na peeps?
    The article pic is appropo, but not as flattering as this:
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Why this thread exists here - in a nutshell

Unfortunately (or perhaps not) the YouTube video says "The uploader has not made this video available in your country. Sorry about that." Maybe some of our members here can watch it if they follow the link. Do we have any members in India?

Tiger Shroff wants to play Bruce Lee or Michael Jackson
    Samarth Goyal, Hindustan Times New Delhi, September 17, 2014
    First Published: 13:04 IST(17/9/2014) | Last Updated: 13:51 IST(17/9/2014)

Tiger Shroff recently released a video to pay tribute to Michael Jackson. The video was a mash-up of the song Whistle Baja (from Tiger’s debut film) and Jackson’s hit number, Billie Jean.

The actor has now said he would love to play Michael Jackson if a biopic is ever made on the *legendary singer. "It’s a toss-up between Bruce Lee and Jackson. These two are my heroes, and I would love to play either of them in a biopic. While I grew up watching Lee’s martial arts sequences in films, I have worshipped Jackson ever since I can remember. I would love to portray his life on screen — from the ’80s when he started getting *famous till the time, I hate to say, he passed away in 2009," Tiger says.

About his tribute video for the king of pop, the 23-year-old further said, "Jackson has been my idol. He has been my favourite ever since I started learning dancing. So, for the tribute, I chose Whistle baja, a song that gave me so much *recognition and love, along with Billie Jean."

More so because, "Billie Jean was the song in which Jackson *performed his iconic *moonwalk for the very first time in 1983," Tiger added.

Tiger Shroff was at a suburban cinema, probably catching a movie. We’re just glad Mr Muscles kept his shirt on.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Kriti Sanon

I really enjoy Akki's films. He does deliver some fun fight scenes, even if they are more dance-like than hardcore. He has a great screen presence and can juggle machismo, comedy and drama much better than most action stars.

December 9, 2014
    Updated: December 9, 2014 19:25 IST
    Martial arts to the rescue
    Srinivasa Ramanujam

Kriti Sanon

Kriti Sanon is gearing up for her upcoming Bollywood film with Akshay Kumar

Kriti Sanon is looking forward to her upcoming Bollywood film with Akshay Kumar. In this project, she plays a dance teacher.

“We’re in the preparation stage and shooting starts in January,” says the actress, adding, “I’ll have a few action sequences with him and am currently getting into shape for that. I’m training in kickboxing and martial arts… it’s so exciting. I feel that learning some form of self-defence is vital for women; it makes you confident.”

The actress is also learning Western dance. “I can’t reveal more about it now,” says the Heropanti actress, who has trained in Kathak during her childhood. “But it will be different from the regular dances you see in Bollywood.” An electronics engineering graduate, Kriti wrote her GMAT entrance test before she entered films.

“I got a good score too…but that was only for my parents! Even while preparing for the exams, I knew that I wanted to act in films. I didn’t want to end up sitting at a desk and cribbing that I didn’t follow my dreams,” she says. Kriti has already done a Telugu film and is working on her next now.

Is she interested in Kollywood? “If I get a really good script with an interesting role, why not? The Tamil industry is one of the biggest in the country. As for me, it’s more about role and script; language really doesn’t matter. Ultimately, you’re telling a story.”
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Taapsee Pannu

Taapse exercises martial arts in her next
    TNN | Dec 29, 2014, 08.07 PM IST

Taapse exercises martial arts in her next
    Actress Taapse Pannu, who got trained in Krav Maga - an Israeli martial art, for Akshay Kumar-starrer "Baby", has also put it to use for a fight sequence in her upcoming Tamil film ace Vai Raja Vai".

"Taapsee was more than happy to assist in the sequence owing to her recent exposure to Krav Maga which she learned for 'Baby'. And it was quite easy for her to perform these stunts as she had come fresh off from the sets of 'Baby'," a source close to the actress told.

Contrary to her bubbly and romantic roles, Tapsee is said to be playing a character with negative shades in the film. Directed by Aishwarya Dhanush, the film features Gautham Karthik and Priya Anand in the lead roles. Actor Dhanush will be seen in a cameo.
    The photo with the article was protected and I didn't feel like crawling through the code to extract it, so I'm just grabbing an image I googed for here.

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Slightly OT

Actually, this is Tollywood, but we won't quibble

An Eye On ‘I': Thriller Is Biggest-Ever Tamil Release In U.S. & India (Video)

by Nancy Tartaglione
    January 14, 2015 11:43pm

While Tamil stars and films are perhaps not as well known outside of India as their Bollywood counterparts, they nevertheless have a huge fanbase within India (especially the south) and across the diaspora. Also known as Kollywood, the Tamil industry produces hundreds of feature films per year. The latest high-profile title is big-budget adventure/romance thriller I, from Robot helmer Shanmugham Shankar (commonly known as just Shankar). It opened Wednesday to sell-outs at home and abroad in what is the biggest-ever release for a Tamil-language film (see trailer below). In the U.S., it’s going out via distributor Aascar Film in over 200 theaters with versions in Tamil, Hindi and Telugu. No South Indian film has ever opened this wide in the U.S. market before. In India, the opening is on a record 6,500 screens. As with the major Bollywood films we’ve seen over the past year which have broken out worldwide — especially Aamir Khan’s Christmas release PK — Tamil movies also choose key holiday release dates. Wednesday was the beginning of the four-day Pongal festival which celebrates the end of harvest season and is among the best box office weeks of the year in South India.

The film boasts an impressive roster of talent. It stars Chiyaan Vikram — familiarly known as Vikram as many Tamil talent go by just one name — an award-winning actor who has several hits under his belt including 2010’s Raavanan with Aishwarya Rai, and millions of fans worldwide. Helmer Shankar, whose 1996 Indian and 1998 Jeans were the Indian submissions for the Foreign Language Oscar, is also known for his 2010 blockbuster Robot which is the highest-grossing Tamil film ever in both the U.S. and India. That sci-fi pic played on about 140 screens in North America, grossing $3M (a sequel has been rumored with Aamir Khan potentially taking part). I also has six original songs by Oscar-winning composer AR Rahman. He has worked with Shankar before and recently scored Tamil hit, Lingaa, which opened last month to a $1.4M weekend in the U.S.

Peter Jackson’s Weta Workshop did the creature makeup, and Stan Winston Studios handled animatronics for I. Notably, much of the film was shot in China, and a wide release is planned there with about 12,000 dates all throughout Asia in March. Further, says Naveen Varadarajan, head of U.S. operations for Aascar, this is the last Tamil film to be shot in 35mm.

In I, Vikram plays three characters: bodybuilder Lingesan, top model Lee, and the Hunchback. All are the same person, but change over time. Diya, a supermodel played by Amy Jackson, falls for Lee, who is really Lingesan after a makeover. The Hunchback also comes into play, but saying more would be to give away key plot points of the non-linear story.

I premiered in Malaysia late Tuesday night and the Indian screenings began at 4 AM local on Wednesday, Varadarajan tells me. The premiere was a “full house” and he expects I to go far. Helmer Shankar is all about “content and grandeur… in terms of visual effects, every frame is spot on.” Check it out for yourself in the trailer below:
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Rana Daggubati

'Bahubali' : Rana Duggubati learns mixed martial arts
    IndiaGlitz [Monday, February 16, 2015]

Rana Daggubati went through an intensive martial arts training for six months before commencing shoot of the magnum opus Bahubali. Bahubali is a war film with a lot of action sequences. The lead cast needed to be flexible, swift and quick with the movements along with knowing certain weapon use. A body double was used to shoot it hence actors had to know it all and needed to be trained well.

The training continued on set later. They were trained by Vietnamese martial arts experts Tang, Son and Luck. They were trained in mixed martial arts, weapon training as the film involves a lot of weapon fight. They also helped the cast combat injuries and helped in a speedy recovery process. Training helped them in flexibility, swift movement and fight. Rana trained in scaling walls and Mace weapon use with minimum of 8 hours of training in a day.

Rana confirmed, "Peter Hines the Action Director for Bahubali, had me training with 3 special fighters from Vietnam for about 6 to 8 months. They used a combination of mixed martial arts and weapon training. The actual choreography for the action scenes began after this where several new techniques and methods for horse riding, chariot riding and other period film action requirements. Period action scenes are heavily injury prone so it is better to be trained in advance."

Bahubali will be a pan India release and will be in Hindi as well.
    I'm disappointed they went Vietnamese and didn't train Indian mace. Does Vietnamese martial arts even have a mace?

We ran an article on Indian maces and their connection to Chinese maces last year: The Indian Gada and Chinese Melon Hammers By Harjit Singh Sagoo NOV+DEC 2014
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Madhurima Tuli

A two-fer today - both learning MMA and weapons...

Madhurima Tuli learns mixed martial arts
    V Lakshmi, TNN | Feb 15, 2015, 12.00AM IST

Actress Madhurima Tuli has taken to a new form of exercise.

Instead of sweating it out at the gym, she is busy kicking some punches on the beach. She has been practising mixed martial arts for a week now, and says it's liberating to break a sweat out in the open. Madhurima says, "With this technique, I will be able to both defend myself and attack the enemy. I can strike and grapple, and also deal with weapons. With so many horrible incidents of crimes against women, I think we should be able to deal with the attackers ourselves."

The actress has been learning under an expert every alternate day. "I've started with karate and kung fu and this takes care of my core body and cardio needs as well. So, I don't miss the gym anymore," she smiles. Meanwhile, Madhurima says she misses working on the TV series Kumkum Bhagya. "I had to quit the show because I was shooting Baby. But I watch it religiously even now," she signs off.
    This one needs a better pic, yes?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Karate Kaaran

Jackie Chan Welcomes The Idea Of Remaking The Karate Kid In Tamil!
    Posted by: Avinash Gopinath Updated: Monday, April 27, 2015, 11:23 [
    Earlier there were reports doing rounds that action choreographer Siva widely known as Stunt Siva, who appeared in Kamal Haasan's Vettaiyaadu Vilaiyaadu, has taken to direction with his debut movie titled as Karate Kaaran.

The latest we hear from the sources close to the movie is that Asia's most popular star, Jackie Chan, has sent across his warm wishes to the team of Karate Kaaran.

What does Jackie Chan has to do with stunt Siva's debut movie you might ask, well, as it turns out, Karate Karan is the official remake of Jackie Chan's 2010 movie, The Karate Kid.

Stunt Siva has revealed that he had informed Jackie Chan about the remake to which the Hollywood actor has sent across his congratulations to the entire team. "Jackie Chan is a friend of mine and he wished us good luck when we informed him that we are going to remake The Karate Kid.

The script had to undergo certain changes so that Tamil audience can relate to it", said Siva.

Karate Karan will star Siva's entire family as his sons Kevin and Stephen are said to play the lead roles while Jackie Chan's role in the original will be played by his wife Laani, who is a professional in martial arts.

Siva has also promised that the movie will not be a disappointment as it will be a treat to the family audience. Will Karate Karan manage to attract the kind of response The Karate Kid enjoyed? Let's wait for the movie's release and hope for the best.
    I wonder if Siva is aware that Jackie's version was a remake...

Karate Kid
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Salman Khan jailed for 5 years:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-32603596

Sandeepa Dhar

Sandeepa to perform Jackie Chan inspired stunts in '7 Hours...'
    Last Updated: Wednesday, May 27, 2015 - 15:02

Mumbai: Actress Sandeepa Dhar, best known for her roles in films like “Isi Life Mein”, “Dabangg 2” and “Heropanti”, will next be seen performing daredevil stunts inspired from Chinese Kung fu star Jackie Chan in her upcoming film “7 Hours to Go”.

The 26-year-old, who will play a police officer in the film, trained in MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) from actor Sushant Singh Rajput's trainer Karan Nagari, to give her perfect shot in “7 Hours to go”.

“I'm always a little taken aback, when in this day and age people are surprised that a woman will play an action oriented role. My action stunts will be very different. My stunts in the film will have glimpses of Jackie Chan's action,” Sandeepa said in a statement.

“It would take years of discipline to match up to Jackie, but I am trying to give my best shot and my trainer is quite happy with the progress,” she added.

Directed by Saurabh Varma, “7 Hours to Go”, which also stars Shiv Pandit, Vipin Sharma and Varun Badola, is an investigative thriller set in Mumbai.

The film is currently in post production stage and is expected to release in September.
    Why any eidtor would run an article on Sandeepa and not post a pic completely befuddles me.

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips