Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: Bollywood Kung-Fu!!

Pooja Batra

Pooja Batra trains in mixed martial arts, keen on action films
    Pooja Batra said that she is training for mixed martial arts and is eager to do action films.
    By: IANS | Mumbai | Published:June 24, 2016 4:45 pm

Pooja Batra said that she is training for mixed martial arts and is eager to do action films.
    Actor Pooja Batra says that she is training for mixed martial arts and is eager to do action films.
    “I’d love to do action now because I am training in mixed martial arts, so I am basically looking towards action-oriented films,” Pooja said at the screening of the film 7 Hours To Go here.
    Best remembered for acting in films such as Virasat and Haseena Maan Jaayegi, Pooja went away from the spotlight in the mid-2000s.
    Asked about her absence from the industry, she said: “I’m in Hollywood right now. I’m in a Hollywood film titled One Under The Sun which had premiered at Cannes. Maybe that’s why you see less of me. But I had done ABCD 2 last year and this year I have done a Punjabi film, Killer Punjabi.”
    Asked when she will be returning to Bollywood in a full-fledged role, she said: “I don’t know. When I’ll get a good role, then I will definitely return. ”
    Pooja’s last full-fledged role in a Hindi film was in Taj Mahal: An Eternal Love Story which released in 2006.
    I don't know Pooja, but good for her.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Taapsee Pannu

Taapsee taking martial arts lessons for Naam Shabana
    BY INDIA NEW ENGLAND NEWS • OCTOBER 6, 2016

Mumbai–Actress Taapsee Pannu is learning the nuances of martial arts for filmmaker Neeraj Pandey’s new production “Naam Shabana”.

TAAPSEE PANNU

She last worked with Pandey in the 2015 film “Baby”, which saw her doing some stunts. But with “Naam Shabana”, she will be taking her action scenes to a new level.

Taapsee is learning mixed martial arts and a bit of Japanese martial art Aikido, apart from self-defence system Krav Maga for the movie.

A fitness freak, she is loving every bit of being trained in these forms as she finds it thrilling.

“Continuing with Krav Maga, I have also started training in basics of Aikido and MMA. It’s getting tougher and harder from what I did for ‘Baby’. It has been a month of training and I train for one and half to two hours every day, barring the days I am shooting for 12 hours,” Taapsee said in a statement.

She also said that “all these three forms have been chosen for a specific reason and when you will see the film, you will realise why.” (IANS)
    MMA & Aikido. Odd mix.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Bollywood Kung-Fu!!

AUDIENCES HAVE FREEDOM TO SEE WHAT THEY WANT: RAM MADHVANI
    IANS | Jan 3, 2017, 03.39 PM IST

After garnering critical acclaim for his film Neerja, Ram Madhvani is working on a web series titled Bodhidharma: Master of Shaolin. The director feels going digital is the future, and says that audience is no longer stifled by the practice of setting time aside to watch particular content.

Madhvani along with lyricist, screenwriter and ad guru Prasoon Joshi, is working on the action series, based on the story of a warrior prince of the sixth century who became the founder of the Shaolin Temple in China and the founder of martial arts.

The show -- which is one of the Indian original shows for Amazon Prime Video -- is expected to be a visual spectacle with martial arts, music backed by great storytelling.

Madhvani says he wanted to make a film on the same story initially.

"Prasoon Joshi and I have been working on a feature film called 'Bodhi Dharma Master of Shaolin'. And as Prasoon kept writing, we realised that it was becoming longer than what a feature film length normally is," Madhvani told IANS over an email from Mumbai.

Talking about his decision to go digital, he said, "Digital is the future and content viewing on the digital platform is where the world and India is going and we are very excited to be at the forefront of this."

Madhvani said, "The audience is no longer hand cuffed by appointment viewing and have the freedom to see what they want, when they want, at a very reasonable cost".

He explained that this "not only expands the audience base but is very liberating for both the audience and the creators".

Many people see Hollywood as a threat to Bollywood. But for Madhvani it doesn't hold true.

"India is a pluralistic society and our past has told us that we somehow can invite, assimilate and yet be our own. We as Indians see no contradictions in that idea of being rooted in our culture, yet embracing the best of any other. That's true whether it's for food or films. We know that we need to speak to our audience in our ways within our culture," he said.

For now, Madhvani is busy with the ten-episode web series.
    I think Neerja is available on Netflix. Been jonzing for a dose of Bollywood, but that one didn't look like it was going to have any dance numbers. Might check it out anyway now.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Prabhudheva in Eng Mang Sang

This is Tollywood but so few here know the difference that it doesn't seem worth launching a separate thread...

Prabhudheva plays a Kung Fu Master in his next

Sharanya CR | TNN | Feb 3, 2017, 01.00 AM IST

Prabhudheva plays a Kung Fu Master in his next
    After the success of Devi(L), actor-director Prabhudheva has finalised his next film as an actor. He has been signed on to play the lead in Eng Mang Sang, which will be directed by newcomer MS Arjun (who earlier worked as an AD for Mundasupatti). Talking about the film, Arjun says, "The film is a period drama that travels from the 1970s to the 1980s. Prabhudheva plays a Kung Fu Master and Thankar Bachan plays his father. The father wants that his son be like Bruce Lee, and sends him to China to learn Kung Fu to solve some issues back in his hometown. RJ Balaji will be playing Prabhudheva's friend in the film. We will begin shooting for the film from February 17 in Chennai. We will be finalising rest of the cast in a couple of days."
    Kung Fu Yoga should be added to this list.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Samantha Ruth Prabhu

This again is Tollywood not Bollywood, but only a few here know the difference.

After Shruti Haasan, Samantha Ruth Prabhu shows off her martial arts skills.
    Samantha Ruth Prabhu's new hobby is Silambam. We are worried for Naga Chaitanya.
    By: Express Web Desk | New Delhi | Updated: April 20, 2017 4:27 pm

Samantha Prabhu’s new hobby is Silambam, a martial art form.

Samantha Ruth Prabhu has taught herself Tamil Nadu’s famous martial art skills, Silambam. The actor posted a video on Instagram showing off her martial art moves, putting her fans in a state of shock. While we do not know if she is prepping up for a film but we are surely impressed how good she is getting at it. In fact, the actor herself seems to be enjoying it quite a bit and is encouraging people to adopt a new habit every day.
    Before her, we saw Shruti Hasaan showing off her fighting skills with a couple of videos on Instagram. The actor is working on director Sundar C’s project, called Sangamithra, which would also star Arya and Jayam Ravi together for the first time on the silver screen. With Shruti and Samantha, it seems a new trend is soon going to begin in the south industry to learn some martial art skills.

Meanwhile, Samantha is quite busy juggling projects between Tamil and Telugu film industries. She is working on Irumbu Thirai directed by P. S. Mithran, Aneethi Kathaigal directed by Thiagarajan Kumararaja and Vijay 61 directed by Atlee. Samantha also has Savitri’s biopic in her kitty, which is being directed by Nag Ashwin. The film also stars Keerthy Suresh and would be made in Tamil and Telugu.

Apart from these projects, she is working on Omkar’s upcoming horror comedy, Raju Gari Gadhi 2, which also stars Nagarjuna Akkineni. This is for the first time post her engagement with Naga Chaitanya that they are working together. Samantha got engaged to Naga last year, and by end of this year, the two actors are expected to get married. While Samantha has a lot of projects in Tamil and Telugu industries, Naga Chaitanya has started promotions of his next, Rarandoi Veduka Chudham, which is scheduled for May 19 release.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Aamir Khan

I'm a huge fan of Aamir Khan. He was brilliant in both Dhoom 3 and PK.

Dangal: Aamir Khan tries his hand at martial arts in China
    Aamir Khan was in China recently to promote his movie Dangal.
    Written By Karishma Shetty Mumbai Updated: April 24, 2017 03:18 pm

Aamir Khan was in China where his movie Dangal is slated to release soon. He went there to promote his movie and was greeted by thousands of fans as he attended the Beijing International Film Festival where the movie was being screened.
    Aamir spent some quality time in China and we got our hands on some pictures of the actor from his visit. In the photos, Aamir is seen trying his hand at martial arts. He is seen learning the various poses and we must admit he masters it like a boss.

In the photos, Aamir is seen sporting a grey tee and torn blue jeans and it's shocking to know that the actor is 52 years of age. He is also seen wearing his trademark glasses and his beard is trimmed with the mustache still on.

We're loving these pictures of a fun-filled Aamir Khan. How about you?

Meanwhile, Dangal will be releasing in China on May 5. Aamir's previous movies namely PK, 3 Idiots and Dhoom 3 are the top 3 movies at the China box-office when it comes to Indian films. Looks like the Dangal magic will take over China as well.

Speaking about his movies in China, Aamir had told a leading daily, "I can feel the emotion when I come to China. It is something that I really cherish. I’ve been acting for many years. In the beginning, none of my films were popular in China. Until 3 Idiots released. Then suddenly, I realized that this was very popular in China, especially with the youth in China.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Mrinmayee Godbole

Mrinmayee Godbole learnt Kung Fu

Rishabh Deb | Updated: May 10, 2017, 03.45 PM IST

Mrinmayee Godbole learnt Kung Fu
    Now we all know of some the big names from the Bollywood film fraternity are associated with martial arts, but the Marathi actors are not lagging behind anymore. You won't believe this Marathi Diva also possesses some serious fighting skills. Yes, the leading lady from the film 'Chi Va Chi Sau Ka', Mrinmayee Godbole learnt Kung Fu and this intense Kung Fu session was for the same film. We all will see Mrinmayee doing Kung Fu moves on the big screen.
    Sharing about her 'Kung Fu' training Mrinmayee Godbole said, "So I have done Kalaripayattu in the past and I played basketball for almost ten years (also played on the national level). But I had never done Kung Fu! Lalit and I trained for Kung Fu for one month before we started shooting. I'm supposed to be a blue belt in the film. Though I joined the training sessions late but I made up for the time by practicing super hard and my past of kalari and basketball really helped me in catching up with Lalit. I learnt years' worth of Kung Fu in just over a month so that I could look the part in the film. Our trainer Shrikant Sir made us do very difficult exercises, stretches and strict training. He would make us do push-ups on our knuckles so we had bruised, black and blue knuckles all through the shooting and the film! It was a very hectic and gruelling process and he helped us during the shoot also. We also got hurt and hit each other a lot, not intentionally, but while shooting."
    Kalari, Kung Fu & basketball. Nice.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Munna Michael

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Bollywood Kung-Fu!!

Hold the phone...yet another Bollywood Bruce Lee flick? What the heck is going on in India?

Add Borivali Ka Bruce Lee to Ram Gopal Varma's Bruce Lee, Tollywood's Bruce Lee - The Fighter and ram gopal varma on bruce lee biopic, plus the fact that Shekhar Kapur is directing Shannon Lee's biopic on her dad.

Borivali Ka Bruce Lee is almost complete: Ayesha Takia
    THE HANS INDIA | Jun 20,2017 , 11:41 PM IST

Ayesha Takia

Actress Ayesha Takia, who is busy promoting her new video song 'Zindagi Tujhse Kya Karen Shikvey', says that her comeback film `Borivali Ka Bruce Lee’ is 70 percent complete.

" 'Borivali Ka Bruce Lee' is 70 percent complete. It's a very cute film just like the title suggested. It's a funny film with Kung Fu involved in it. It has a very interesting concept. For a comeback, that's a very cute film, so I am looking forward to it," said Ayesha during an interview on Monday.

Ayesha who took a sabbatical post marriage and motherhood is making her comeback with the video which is very hard hitting and gritty. Speaking about her new video song, she said that her video is very different and not run of the mill kind.

"I am feeling glad that my song is getting appreciation from the audience. We were thinking of making video like five-minute film which will tell a certain story," she said.

"It is not run of the mill kind of video where boy meets girl or romance on the beach. It's a really hard-hitting video with social message," added the `Wanted’ actress.

”Zindagi Tujhse Kya Karen Shikvey" is a part of album titled "Zindagi Yeh Zindagi" and is crooned by Amit Mishra, composed by Raaj Aashoo and written by Murli Agrawal.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Sino-India

Bollywood Kung Fu Yoga

JUL 5, 2017 @ 09:26 PM
    Why China's Moviegoers Have Gone Wild For India
    Rob Cain , CONTRIBUTOR
    Opinions expressed by Forbes Contributors are their own.

Aamir Khan Productions
    Dangal is an Indian film starring Aamir Khan.

Jackie Chan, China’s biggest movie star, has been extremely shrewd in choosing films with broad commercial appeal to his core audience, the moviegoers in the People’s Republic of China. The 63-year-old action star is a perennial favorite at the box office, with credits in such hits as live action films as Skiptrace ($133 million in 2016) and Dragon Blade ($117 million in 2015), and animated films like Kung Fu Panda 3 ($154 million in 2016) and Monkey King: Hero is Back ($153 million in 2015). His stardom stretches back for decades for good reason: he knows how to pick his films.

Given his long track record as a tastemaker, when Chan announced in 2015 that he would shoot an action-adventure comedy film in India called Kung Fu Yoga, the movie world took notice. Originally intended to be the first co-production under the new India-China co-pro treaty, Kung Fu Yoga’s story, written and to be directed by Stanley Tong (CZ12, Rumble in the Bronx) would feature Chan as an archaeology professor who embarks on a quest to find a long-lost Indian treasure, a diamond artifact known as the “Eye of Shiva.” The film co-stars Indian actors Sonu Sood, Disha Patani and Amyra Dastur and was shot largely in India.

Sure enough, when Kung Fu Yoga released in China in January, it not only became a massive box office hit with a $254 million lifetime gross (the sixth-biggest in Chinese history), it also touched off an extraordinary run of hits that had India connections. The first half of 2017 would see three movies with strong India ties (Kung Fu Yoga, Journey to the West: The Demons Strike Back, and Dangal) place among China’s four highest-grossing films, and two more (xXx: Return of Xander Cage and Buddies in India) in the top 11.

All told, five movies that featured Indian actors, Indian settings, or both, earned an aggregate $958 million in China in the first six months of the year, a 24% share of all of China’s movie ticket revenue. That's more than just a coincidence: that's a trend.

Why China's filmgoers have gone gaga for Indian-themed content can't be easily attributed to any single cause, but it can probably be boiled down to three main factors. First is the general audience backlash against half-baked domestic stories with uninspired plots, cardboard characters and humdrum settings.

Second is the gradual emergence in China of a beloved sub-genre, the Aamir Khan film. Khan's Indian movies, starting with his 2009 social comedy 3 Idiots, have found an enthusiastic and rapidly growing audience, with his latest film Dangal, enjoying a record-breaking run of $192 million in collections to date.

Third is what appears to be a growing curiosity about and interest in China's southern neighbor. The two ancient cultures share many values in common, including deep filial piety and appreciation for family, reverence for education, and respect for hard work as a conduit to success. Both countries are also at relatively similar points in their economic development, and thus the struggles Indian movie characters face with regard to such issues as female empowerment, the transition from a rural to an urban society, and the challenges of climbing the socio-economic ladder, all resonate nicely with Indian audiences who confront similar obstacles in their own lives.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Thupparivaalan

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Slightly OT

I'm a fan of Akki because he delivers some entertaining fight scenes and is a major supporter of martial arts in India (search Akshay and you'll see a few mentions of him on this subforum). However, given the subject of this film, I doubt it will have martial arts in it. If it does, well, that'll be one more reason why I luv Bollywood.

Sony to Distribute Bollywood Star Akshay Kumar's 'PadMan' Worldwide
    8:08 AM PST 11/14/2017 by Nyay Bhushan

Sony Pictures/KriArj Entertainment
    Akshay Kumar in 'Padman'

The studio is also a co-producer on the film about an inventor who revolutionized female hygiene in India.
    Sony Pictures Entertainment has acquired global rights to Bollywood superstar Akshay Kumar’s upcoming film PadMan and also come on board as a co-producer.

Directed by R. Balki and featuring actresses Sonam Kapoor and Radhika Apte, the film is inspired by the true story of Arunachalam Muruganantham, who invented a low-cost sanitary pad-making machine and revolutionized cost-effective female hygiene in India.

PadMan, which will get a worldwide release Jan. 26, is based on the book The Legend of Lakshmi Prasad, written by Kumar’s wife and best-selling author Twinkle Khanna. Her banner Mrs Funnybones Movies also worked on the film with Bollywood banner KriArj Entertainment.

“Akshay is the rarest of artists, not only is he the definition of movie star and producer, but what makes him and Twinkle so special is that they have found a way with this film to make a wonderfully affecting and heartwarming movie that also can impact social change,” Columbia Pictures president Sanford Panitch said. “We are looking forward to working with Akshay and Twinkle on many projects.”

As one of India’s most bankable stars, Kumar, 50, has delivered a string of hits, including socially conscious titles such as his previous release, Toilet: A Love Story, which revolved around the importance of sanitation. “Sanford and the Sony Pictures team are ideally placed to take the film to audiences worldwide and we look forward to sharing this journey with them,” said Kumar.

“India is an important and growing market with rich content and dynamic stories that translate worldwide,” added Sony Pictures Entertainment executive vp business affairs, operations and head of local productions Laine Kline, adding, “Akshay, one of the most critically and commercially lauded stars in the country, has a distinct sensibility that we are lucky to work with. We look forward to sharing PadMan's incredible story with audiences around the world."

Back in 2007, Sony became the first Hollywood studio to produce a Bollywood film, Saawariya. Sony Pictures Entertainment India managing director Vivek Krishnani said that PadMan “will lead Sony Pictures India’s film slate for 2018.”
    I searched for a trailer but didn't find anything legitimate - just fan trailers.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Tiger Shroff project

I'm just going to post this hear as another Bollywood rumor.

If you don't know Tiger, he's been discussed here on this thread before, and I reviewed Heropanti on his Baaghi. I should add a Baaghi review there because I watched that about a month or so ago.

Hollywood calling! Tiger Shroff to debut opposite Jackie Chan, Chuck Norris and Bruce Lee's daughter?
    Hollywood's top producer Lawrence Kasanoff is reportedly planning to Tiger Shroff in a mainstream Hollywood film which will also star Jackie Chan, Chuck Norris and Bruce Lee's daughter, Shannon Lee.
    By : Pramod Gaikwad Sep 20, 2018 19:41 IST

Tiger Shroff Instagram

Right from his debut in Heropanti, Tiger Shroff has impressed the Indian audience with his chiselled body and gravity-defying action sequences.

It looks like the 28-year-old actor has also managed to grab the attention of Hollywood's top producer Lawrence Kasanoff who has produced the popular Mortal Kombat series. He is reportedly planning to cast Tiger in a mainstream Hollywood film which will also star Jackie Chan, Chuck Norris and Bruce Lee's daughter, Shannon Lee.

Kasanoff apparently flew to Mumbai over the weekend to discuss the film's script with Sanjay Grover, son of Gulshan Grover, who has been a part of the project for the past one year. Grover, who happens to be a good friend of Tiger, suggested Kasanoff to bring the actor on board for the lead role as a fresh face for the film.

"Along with Larry, a big studio head, some of their associates and Emmy Award-winning writer Sean Catherine Derek of the Batman series had also flown to India. Sanjay Grover, who has been a part of the project for the last one year, was also present at the meetings," a source was quoted as saying by Mumbai Mirror.

"Larry shared the script of his film with Sanjay who suggested they bring on board a fresh new face to play the lead and strongly recommended his childhood buddy Tiger with whom he had studied in school, to play the lead. Larry and his team were impressed with Tiger who they felt has an international look, is trained in martial arts, has a large fan following and has age on his side," the source added that casting an Indian actor in the main lead in a Hollywood film is a first for Larry as well.

Tiger has already become an eye candy for filmmakers after his action-packed film Baaghi 2 which took his performance to a new level altogether. On the work front, the actor will also be seen in the Hindi remake of Sylvester Stallone's Rambo which will be directed by Siddharth Anand. He is currently busy shooting for Karan Johar's upcoming film Student Of The Year 2, directed by Punit Malhotra, along with Ananya Pandey and Tara Sutaria.

It remains to be seen whether Tiger gives his nod to the project and treat his fans by showing off his different side altogether on the silver screen.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Sonu Sood

Hold the phone...TKD has doctorates?

Sonu Sood honoured with Doctorate Degree of Taekwondo
    45-year-old actor Sonu Sood, who is known for leading a healthy lifestyle over the years, was felicitated with honour for his outstanding contribution and support towards taekwondo.
    By: PTI | Mumbai | Updated: September 25, 2018 3:07:20 pm

Sonu Sood was felicitated with honour for his outstanding contribution and support towards taekwondo sport.

Actor Sonu Sood has been honoured with the Doctorate Degree of Taekwondo. The 45-year-old actor actor, who is known for leading a healthy lifestyle over the years, was felicitated with honour for his outstanding contribution and support towards taekwondo.

He was honoured in the presence of Prabhat Sharma, secretary general of Taekwondo Federation of India at the opening ceremony of 107 International Kyorugi Referee Seminar/121st International Kyorugi Referee Refresher Course and 40th International Poomsae Referee Seminar.

“It feels good to see everybody so fit out here, all thanks to the event organisers who have managed to get the taekwondo experts all over the country on the same platform and created the Taekwondo Federation,” Sonu said in a statement.

“It’s great to know that people across all age groups are interested in taekwondo sport and they want to create awareness regarding the same and inspire others. Felicitating these experts would certainly inspire them and others to take up the sport as also a fitness initiative. I really hope such good fitness initiatives inspire the people and help us make a healthy India,” he added.

On the work front, Sonu will be next seen in Rohit Shetty’s Simmba, alongside Ranveer Singh and Sara Ali Khan.
    THREADS
    Bollywood Kung Fu!!
    Tae Kwon Do
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Indie threads

Bollywood action has been progressing a lot lately so I've been launching indie threads instead of just posting them here. I'm going to add some links now, for future reference.

Thugs Of Hindostan

He is Back

Enthiran 2.0
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips