Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Bollywood Kung-Fu!!

Are we going to have to make a separate thread for Bollywood Femme Fatales?

I followed a link of one of those fine selections to some classic Rajini Kanth (at least I think it's him) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MJpDwJ8sEo - gotta admit now, Bollywood has it's own choreographic style. It reminds me a little of the Mexican masked wrestling flicks - real 'old school' low budget cheesey, but not without merit.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

ttt!

I only copied the first bit - the interview runs 4 pages - the Tom and Jerry bit is like page 3.

ON THE RECORD
    Akshay Kumar, Actor

'I've learnt a lot from Tom & Jerry. It's surprising but a lot of my early stunts were copied from Tom & Jerry'

Posted online: Monday, November 19, 2007 at 0000 hrs Print Email

Actor Akshay Kumar, who has trained in martial arts, started out as an action hero but found he was equally successful doing action, comedy, and even both together. In an interview with The Indian Express Editor-in-Chief Shekhar Gupta on NDTV 24x7\'s Walk the Talk, Akshay Kumar speaks about his early years in Chandni Chowk, learning martial arts in Thailand, the Khiladi mystique, and the tattoo on his back. Excerpts . . .

• My guest this week is the lone man standing in the way of the total condemnation of Hindi cinema. No, he's not a Bachchan or a Roshan. He's Akshay Kumar.

Thank you, Sir.

• It's marvellous to have you on Walk the Talk. You're one of the most popular actors among young people, women, grown-ups, and even old people.

Am I? Thank you very much. I feel very nice about that.

• And you are the most fun star.

Yes, I like doing fun stuff. I like doing things that people enjoy. I love entertaining people. Actually, I didn't realise that. Some of my directors made me realise that I like doing comedy and entertaining people. So I started doing it. It was great.

• You started out being serious. More of a maar-dhaad (kind of hero).

A lot of action and all that. But then everything started changing, thanks to the media, which said, 'He only does action, he's an actor who is just like furniture.' Actually they were being nice, for when I saw some of my old films, I don't think I was furniture but a furniture showroom. It was quite bad. I wanted to change my image, challenge myself, try to do something different.

• We've now caught you on the sets of another fun film.

Yes, that's Tashan. I'm shooting for it. Vijay (Krishna Acharya) is the director. It's a great film for me to do.

• Your fighting image came naturally, because you had learnt martial arts.

Yes.

• And you had the body.

Well, I did, because I loved doing martial arts, which I started learning when I was nine or ten. I was learning here in Bombay. I asked my dad if he could send me somewhere to learn. I think at that time Bangkok was one of the cheapest places where you could go and learn martial arts. My uncle was working there, so I got this opportunity to go there and learn Thai boxing.

• Did you learn it seriously?

Yes, yes, absolutely. When I came back, I started classes here. I used to teach people. I used to train children and grown-ups. I always thought of being a martial arts instructor; never did I think I'll be in the entertainment business.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Blog Entries
    Cool interview, thanks for posting that, Gene!

You've probably seen this, but I thought this was great:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97Iz57Ik9yE
    The 10 Elements of Choy Lay Fut:
    Kum, Na, Gwa, Sau, Chop, Pow, Kup, Biu, Ding, Jong

The 13 Principles of Taijiquan:
    Ward Off, Roll Back, Press, Push, Pluck, Elbow, Shoulder, Split, Forward, Back, Left, Right, Central Equilibrium

And it doesn't hurt to practice stuff from:
    Mounts, Guards, and Side Mounts!

Austin Kung-Fu Academy

Blog Entries
    An homage to Bruce Lee in Bollywood:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNxBd...eature=related

What in the world kind of nunchucks are those???

Ward Off, Roll Back, Press, Push, Pluck, Elbow, Shoulder, Split, Forward, Back, Left, Right, Central Equilibrium

Austin Kung-Fu Academy

Here we go again...

...it's like watching an MMA bout. Fighter A makes the same attack. Fighter B retaliates with the same counter. Only MMA stands for Masala Martial Arts here...

Fighter A's attack:
    Masumi & Akshay's common ground!
    25 Nov 2007, 0000 hrs IST,TNN

Masumi Makhija has been seen in movies like Padmashree Laloo Prasad Yadav, Chupke Se and Maqbool.

Besides these films she also has an important role in Sanjay Gupta’s Dus Kahaniyaan . But hold on, we aren't talking abut her movies, but her common interest that she shares with Akshay Kumar.

We heard that like Akshay she is also into action like martial arts and kick boxing. “Well, we both like martial arts though I can’t speak for him but for me I just love it. I have been practising it for the past eight years now and of late I have got into something called MuayThai which is full contact Thai kick boxing.” Watch out for this new Khiladi girl in making.

Fighter B, care to post another funky Bollywood youtube clip?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Celebs are crazy about martial art

This article isn't really worth posting, but there's a great pic worth checking out. Notable comments:
    Egged on by Partner co-star Salman Khan, actor Govinda has taken up martial art training, in order to lose weight
    Actor Kunal Kapoor religiously practices Goju-Ryu Karate thrice a week.
    Actor and TV show judge isha koppikar prefers the grace of Taekwondo.
    TV star Cezanne Khan, loves Shaolin Kung Fu, and prefers martial arts to weight training.
    That's two blows from fighter A. Fighter B?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Blog Entries
    Sorry about that, was temporarily distracted by the Jerry Springer Sh...I mean, the Southern KF forums!

Check this out: Bollywood Fu, with a femme, a soccer ball, and a dude in an orange tank!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVmCy...eature=related

Dude does a little G-n-P at the end here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mv2anmd_i40

And finally, wanna see Ashwarya Rai as a Duncan Donuts waitress smack a dude in the head with a tray??
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2AvoDceoWE

Austin Kung-Fu Academy

ttt

ok, this one is really off topic, but it's still about India and I've been dying to ttt this, just to bait yys to post more bollywood fu.

Indian troops taught them yoga, learnt martial arts

Chak de, Chak de, say Chinese troops

Kunming(China): Indian troops shared their expertise in yoga with their Chinese counterparts and learnt martial arts skills from them on Saturday, the second day of their first-ever joint military exercise in this capital city of southwestern Yunnan province.

The People’s Liberation Army men’s “Chak De, Chak De” cheers filled the air as they inspired the Indian soldiers during the exercises.

And, a well-executed one earned a “Shabhash” from the Chinese.

The gesture was reciprocated in good measure by the Indian Army personnel who sought to raise the spirits of the PLA soldiers shouting “Chayo, Chayo (come on, buck up)”, and “Pancha, Pancha (well done, well done).”

The day’s training began with the Chinese soldiers being taught yoga exercises by instructors from the Indian Army, kindling great interest in them on techniques to keep the mind calm, an Indian military officer said.

The Indian troops, in turn, were given training in martial arts, both defensive and offensive skills in unarmed combat, by the Chinese after which they went through exercises basically designed to overcome psychological barriers and instil team spirit.

The Chinese soldiers carried out breathtaking manoeuvres amidst explosions and gun-firing, signalling their physical endurance in such critical conditions and winning appreciation from their Indian counterparts.

“Such exercises are aimed at increasing the abilities for perseverance and endurance in situations including a battlefield and anti-terrorism operations,” Capt. Gong Kai of the PLA told PTI.

“Both the armies are very well trained. We can learn from each other,” Maj Gen. Liu Yongxin of the Chengdu Military Region said.

He said terrorism was a “common enemy” not only of both India and China but has threatened the international community as a whole.

The joint training would increase the combat capabilities of both armies and be mutually beneficial apart from building mutual trust, Mr. Liu added.

In a path-breaking confidence-building step, India and China on Friday launched the five-day joint military exercise, “Hand-in-Hand” with focus on the anti-terrorism drill at the Kunming Military Academy.

Nearly 103 troops from the Jammu and Kashmir Light Infantry and an equal number of PLA soldiers are taking part in the exercise, which includes a joint command post and joint battle decision-making. — PTI
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Bollywood wushu...

...shooting in China no less.
    Is that Akshay’s story?
    3 Jan 2008

For long, Akshay had felt that his own success story had the potential to be made into a movie. And now it looks like he’s getting his way.

The film’s nimble-footed hero is a cook who goes to China and encounters further adventures. By now it’s part of the Akshay legend that he served as a cook in Bangkok and earned his way back to Mumbai to make cinematic history. The kitchen-angle isn’t the only similarity between Akshay and the hero from Chandni Chowk. Both are martial-arts practitioners.

Not having done a full action film for over seven years, Akshay has trained in a martial arts form known as Wushu for the film. “It’s a very intricate art practiced on screen by Jet Li and Jackie Chan. Everyone knows Akshay is a big Jackie Chan fan. This is his chance to get even,” says Advani.

“But I can’t say if Chandni Chowk To China is autobiographical. My writer Sridhar Raghavan (who wrote Johnny Gaddar) wrote an original screenplay. If he was inspired by Akshay’s life, he’ll know better,” Advani adds.

The shooting for Chandni Chowk To China will begin on Feb 22 in various parts of the country, including Shanghai.
    Is 'Chandni Chowk To China' Akshay's story?
    Published on January 02, 2008 by Subhash K. Jha

After director Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra, it is Akshay Kumar who is going to relive his childhood memories of Delhi's old quarters in "Chandni Chowk To China". For long, Akshay had felt that his own success story had the potential to be made into a movie. And now it looks like he's getting his way.

Nikhil Advani's new action-adventure-comedy titled "Chandni Chowk To China", the name that the filmmakers have finally settled for, has distinct shades of autobiography in its plot.

The film's nimble-footed hero is a cook who goes to China and encounters further adventures. By now it's part of the Akshay legend that he served as a cook in Bangkok and earned his way back to Mumbai to make cinematic history.

The kitchen-angle isn't the only similarity between Akshay, who still has his father's family in the capital, and the hero from Chandni Chowk. Both are martial-arts practitioners.

Also if you look at the film's leading lady Deepika Padukone she's tall, slim and regal looking... like Akshay's wife Twinkle. A coincidence? Akshay has always liked women who are tall and in-charge.

One reason why China was chosen for Advani's film is to tap Akshay's long-cherished yearning for a full-on martial arts film.

Not having done a full action film for over seven years, Akshay has trained in a martial arts form known as Wushu for the film.

"It's a very intricate art practiced on screen by Jet Li and Jackie Chan. Everyone knows Akshay is a big Jackie Chan fan. This is his chance to get even. Akshay plays a cook who goes to China," Advani told IANS.

"But I can't say if 'Chandni Chowk To China' is autobiographical. My writer Sridhar Raghavan ('Johnny Gaddar' director Sriram's brother) wrote an original screenplay. If he was inspired by Akshay's life, he'll know better," Advani added.

The director has finalised the locations in China and the shooting for 'Chandni Chowk To China' will begin on Feb 22 in various parts of the country, including Shanghai. Advani will wrap it up by May.

About the corny title, the director laughed, "We earlier called our film 'Made In China'. But we all felt 'Chandni Chowk To China' suits the mood better. We've a song with that title in the film. So why not?"
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Training in martial arts is so hip in Bollywood now...

...it reminds me of Hollywood a few years ago when every action film had to promote itself by saying the stars spent months in intensive training.

Hrithik is ok now
    5 Jan 2008, 0000 hrs IST
    Hrithik Roshan. (TOI Photo) More pics

We all know that Hrithik recently injured his knee during the shooting of Jodhaa Akbar while executing an action scene. But, not many know that HR is a trained martial-arts expert.

And just before shooting, he took his martial-arts teacher, Chitah’s help to further hone his fighting skills for the film. Says he, “Hrithik has the best body and acumen towards the martial arts.

His will-power is exemplary and he will soon get over from the injury. When you have a trained body, like Hrithik’s, it knows how to recover fast on its own.” That’s something his fans are looking forward to, for sure.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    There was this film I saw a video for when I was eating in the local Indian joint - had a lot of actors and actresses that I didn't recognize - it was set in Brazil and the video was this intense Capoeira/Drumming/Bollywood dance number. Gotta find that one.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aXR_...eature=related

It's from this movie - Dhoom 2. Same song, different setting.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    I've been dying to ttt this, just to bait yys to post more bollywood fu.
    I just found this!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-InxPME85eM

This one has nothing to do with martial arts, but it's pretty durn funny! It's even funnier for me since this is a song I've known for years:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLpROhIg9eA

Hey, and check it out, Akshay Kumar looks halfway decent as a movie fighter here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2k5cg...eature=related

Austin Kung-Fu Academy

eve teasing

I had to look that term up on wiki.

President asks women to learn judo, karate
    Thursday, 17 January , 2008, 21:42
    New Delhi: President Pratibha Patil on Thursday urged women to learn martial arts like judo and karate for self-defence and self-confidence to face the challenges of discrimination.

"Self-defence is the best defence," Pratibha said. She was addressing the inaugural of the Sixth South Asia Regional Ministerial Conference here.

Pratibha, the first woman President of the country, asked the government to ensure women's security at work places and insisted that strict action should be taken against those who indulge in "reprehensible acts like eve-teasing and molesting."

Urging the women to fight discrimination, Pratibha said: "They should work determinedly for their own empowerment. One important step in this direction is imparting physical education - like judo and karate - for self-defence to girl students from a very early age so as to make them physically strong and to build-up self-confidence to face the challenges of life."

The President's advice came in the wake of increased cases of molestation and rapes reported from different parts of the country.

Women and Child Development Minister Renuka Chowdhury held a meeting of legal experts earlier this week to examine the possibility of initiating more stringent laws to deal with such cases.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

ttt long overdue...

You go, Sharmila, you go, girl.

‘I’m ready to kick ass’
    28 Mar 2008, 0000 hrs IST,

If all goes well, Kannada filmdom will soon see the emergence of another action girl after Malashri.

So even though it’s been a while since her last hit, Krishna, Sharmila Mandre’s confidence remains intact. “I got a lot of projects after Krishna, but I’ve been careful about what I pick. That’s because I like to keep changing my characters from time to time,” she says.

And that’s precisely why she’s done a complete U-turn from her lover girl girl roles and is now indulging in some heavy-duty action in her next film, Navagraha. “I star opposite Darshan and it’s a two-dimensional character. I play this stunt girl who pretends to be this shy and demure girl. I lost a lot of weight for the role and enrolled myself for a martial arts course under Ashok Chandra in Mumbai; I learnt tai chi and kick-boxing,” says an excited Sharmila.

But what made her do a guest appearance in the recent Ee Bandhana, especially since she’s a newcomer? “I did Ee Bandhana for Vijaylaxmi Singh because she’s a family friend. And the song that I did in the film was a big hit. A lot of people complimented me for it, so I don’t think it has made any negative impact on my career,” she says.

The actress also says that she’d now like to do a film with her home banner. “My family has been into film distribution for decades now, while my aunt Sunanda has produced Provoked with Aishwarya Rai Bachchan and has just wrapped up a film with Kangna Ranaut. I was launched by my aunt in the Kannada industry with Sajini. So now she wants to launch me in Tamil as well,” explains the actress.
    So what happened to the film she was supposed to do with Bharathi Raja? “I did consider the offer but they had some conditions before I took up the film that weren’t feasible for me,” explains Sharmila.

Currently though, she’s really happy with the way her career is shaping up.”I’ve realised that it’s versatility that counts in the industry. I want to take my time, explore different aspects of acting and by the end of this year, I’ll probably take up more films and work with really talented people,” she says. Oh yeah, and she also wants to do a film with namma Puneet Rajkumar.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

ttt long overdue...

I remember a similar phenomena happening in China right about when HK was returned. Who wouldn't want martial arts trained female bodyguards? That's been my underlying ultimate goal with my work since I saw Enter the Dragon.

Indian women set to become bodyguards

Mumbai (PTI): Indian women are all set to become bodyguards for jet-setters and corporate honchos with a Mumbai-based private detective and security consultant, Raj Talele being the latest to fulfil their increasing demand in the city.

Talele has announced specially designed workshops for women, training them physically and mentally to work as bodyguards.

Talele has already begun his first batch consisting of 25 women in the month of March and the second batch is all set to commence in May.

"In Mumbai there is a growing demand for women bodyguards for VIPs and celebrities. However in the absence of trained woman power, all vacancies are filled up by men," Talele told PTI.

The participants have to be between 17 and 30 years of age. The intensive physical and mental training sessions is being held at Worli, South central Mumbai for two hours daily. The training will be for a period of two months.

The participants will be taught martial arts like Judo Karate, Yoga and swimming by professionals. "Along with martial arts, the girls will also be taught on how to improve their communication skills and their self-confidence," Talele said.

According to Talele, in many cases, men guard women celebrities too, even though the latter are often uncomfortable with the arrangement, but there is little choice. Talele hopes to fill this void with his workshop.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips