Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Bollywood Kung-Fu!!

Akshay

This article desperately needs a pic of this blonde parkour trainer.

Akshay and his blonde woman
    22 Apr, 2008 08:41 am ISTlINDIATIMES MOVIES

Actor Akshay Kumar is known for his physique... and his women. Never mind his marital status, the link ups don't stop! And we are all aware of Akshay's female trainer, who has been teaching him some great parkour. While most actors seem to prefer male trainers, Akshay has interestingly opted for a female blonde. Now, this surely has nothing to do with his personal preferences, Akki this time means business.

When we met up with the actor and asked him the reason for having hired a woman trainer, he simply said, "It's simple. She is the best in the business. It's a myth that the man who lifts the most weight is the strongest. I want to be strong to be useful and she has many ways and techniques that help me perfect that."

About his fitness funds, trips to the gyms are never as exciting as outdoor adventures and martial arts. "Outdoor adventure, sports and martial arts are arts...it strengthens not only the body but also the gut. It's graceful, informative, creative and gives you a different high. Try it sometimes," suggests Kumar.

Well.. I think somethings are best left to experts..
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

no pics

but pics of burqa-clad girls probably aren't that interesting...

Burqa-clad girls take to martial arts for self-defense in Ahmedabad
    From ANI

Ahmedabad, May 9: Setting an example for conservative families to be confident about their daughters' abilities, a group of about 30 Muslim girls in Ahmedabad city have taken to martial arts and aerobic exercises to train themselves in self-defense and develop physical fitness.

Most of these girls come from conservative families that expect their girls to just get married and take care of their household. But these girls have chosen to redefine what they are capable of in daily life without compromising with their cultural identity.

Residing in Ahmedabad's largest Muslim ghetto at Juhapura, these girls about 20 years of age prefer being Burqa-clad while practicing Karate and Aerobics every afternoon for three hours. Besides, these girls pump iron barbells.

These girls want to be perfectionist and aspire to move ahead in life without compromising on their traditional values and upbringing.

Twenty-year- old Sajeeda Ansari says: "We feel comfortable doing workouts under our Burqa. I have learned so many things. It is not necessary that a girl can be considered modern only if she is clad in western outfits."

Asifa Bora, one of the group members and computer trainer by profession, says: "I am learning it (Karate) for two months to become capable for self-defense and gain fitness. After Godhra riots, we have seen the increasing number of rape and eve-teasing cases in every newspaper and news channels."

"Today, without leaving aside our traditional values, we are learning all this. Today women are leading in every section of the society and parents must boost their daughters to move ahead in life looking beyond the caste factor," she added.

These girls practice for three hours every day during afternoon.

The girls are being trained under Supriya Jatav, a 16-year-old Karate instructor, who has encouraged these girls to learn self-defense techniques.

Supriya belongs to a Hindu family and has won several national and international Karate championship trophies under her belt. She is currently preparing herself for the Commonwealth Karate championship to be held in Scotland.

Supriya is happy about the fact that she could motivate these Burqa-clad girls to learn the self-defense techniques without requiring them to compromise with their traditional values.

"Until and unless somebody takes the initiative we cannot prosper. It is a must for every woman to become self-reliant today unmindful of one' caste or community. If someone is feeling comfortable doing their work without losing their traditional values or belief, no one should have objection. We must come out of caste boundaries and participate in the global world," said Supriya Jatav, the physical fitness and karate instructor.

Habib Khan, the gym instructor, who has been working enthusiastically for the uplift of girls for two years, said: "We should do it with full sportsmanship. Incidents which tend to affect the society at large should not be affect us. We should give importance to the sports over and above the caste and other decisive factors." By Uday Ahavaryu
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

ttt

all hale and hearty? I wasn't familiar with that expression.

Amit Khanna is back in action!
    12 May 2008, 0000 hrs IST,TNN

Amit Khanna is back to shooting after a ligament repair surgery which had kept him out of action for four months.

The actor who was last seen in serials like Dil Chahe More and Karam Apnaa Apnaa will be back on TV soon in an interactive show.

Unlike his mama Govinda, the actor loves to do action scenes. But while preparing for an action film recently, Amit learnt the hard way that it’s not an easy task. It so happened that he was learning Kalari Payatu, the Kerala martial arts, Tai Chi and Kung-fu for one of his films but while practising the moves, he injured his knee.

As a result he was in bed for some time. Says Amit, “I was in the hospital for three days, I was kind of knocked off to keep my sanity. But I’m back now, all hale and hearty,” says Amit, adding, “I have this never-say-die attitude. Also I might make mistakes, but I learn from them,” says the actor. And what are his forthcoming projects? “I have no TV soaps on the anvil at the moment. But I’m working hard now on the format of the TV show that will be on air shortly,” he says.

Amit had also shot for a German film, The Indian Ring, that was shot at exotic locales of Rajasthan some time back. The movie stars German actress Ruth Maria Kubitschek, who has acted in one of the James Bond movies. “We’ve already completed the shooting and the film will be released soon in Germany,” he reveals.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

More on Akshay

I still want to see his blonde parkour trainer....

Akshay-Deepika do martial arts ‘item’
    IANS
    Sunday, May 11, 2008 20:12 IST

Nikhil Advani’s Chandni Chowk to China starring Akshay Kumar and Deepika Padukone, will flaunt some sizzling song and dance sequences.

The team was recently shooting in Bangkok, Shanghai and the Forbidden City for the dance numbers. For one song they hired Dee Dee, a famous Chinese fight choreographer.

This song has been composed by Bappi Lahiri and is a remix of a popular Hindi song. The sequence has lot of martial art stunts and will be a comic number in which Akshay will get beaten up by the fellow dancers.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Om Prakash Thapa, president of Shaolin Wushu Kung-Fu organisation

We need more Bollywood babes here now.

Sawhney trains in martial arts for film
    IANS | Wednesday, 04 June , 2008, 11:58

Bollywood actor Anuj Sawhney, better known for his portrayals of a 'lover trapped in weird circumstances' in comedies such as Nayee Padosan and Funtoosh, is now going for a remarkable transition for his role in the Hindi remake of The Departed.

"I play the character of Matt Damon from the original film," said the actor who got much appreciation from critics for his performance in Kalpana Lajmi's Chingaari.

Anuj has gone through rigorous martial arts training for a yet-to-be-titled movie under Om Prakash Thapa, who is president of Shaolin Wushu Kung-Fu organisation in India.

"The training was for one and a half months from January to mid-February where I was even injured. I suffered a hairline fracture on my shoulder, as a result the shoot got delayed," said Anuj.

Besides this, Anuj has various projects lined up and his next release is Ye Fasaa.

Commenting upon his role in Ye Fasaa, Anuj said: "Other than my new look, people will see a new me in the film. It is an out and out comedy of errors where I play a bohemian character. Circumstances lead to the entry of Tara Sharma in my life. I marry her later. However, my liberal nature forces me to keep lying to her. This leads to varied conflicts, said Anuj.

Aryeman Ramsay plays his best friend in Ye Fasaa, which has been directed by Tarun Kumar and produced by Balabhai Patel of Aashiq Banaya Aapne fame.

He is also in Abbas Mustan's Fraud. "My role in Fraud is that of a comic sidekick to the lead character. The film is 70 per cent finished and also stars Sanjay Dutt, Ajay Devgan and Bipasha Basu."

Anuj has also grabbed a three-film contract with Zee films, the details of which the actor refused to divulge. "I will announce it at the right time."

He will also be seen in 3 Nights 4 Days with Hri****aa Bhatt.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Ask and thou shall receive:
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Jackie Chan approves so you know it must be good !!

tanned and terrific:

this thread is great

Here is My Favorite Bollywood Kung fu clip. Its prolly not official Bollywood, but i think this is pretty uhhh cool uhh yeah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrYlNNy929Y

Peace, TWS
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.

Blog Entries
    Been awhile since I been here!

Check this out, all I can say is, 5hit yeah!":

http://www.grapheine.com/bombaytv/v2/play.php?id=9758

yutyeesam

i Did the bombay TV thing last year.pretty funny, Although my text was all about the illegal sale of hemmoroid cream and how desperately the hero needed some

Peace,TWS
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.

Quote Originally Posted by The Willow Sword View Post
    Here is My Favorite Bollywood Kung fu clip. Its prolly not official Bollywood, but i think this is pretty uhhh cool uhh yeah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrYlNNy929Y

Peace, TWS
    LOL !
    That was awesome

What this thread represents...

Priyanka Chopra - click the article for a pic. Here's some more. Miss World is a TKD practitioner. Where's the CMA practicing beauty queens?

What’s common between Arjan & Priyanka?
    15 Jul 2008, 0000 hrs IST,TNN

It seems that both the stars from Madhur Bhandarkar’s Fashion are often seen discussiong martial arts on the sets.

Incidentally, Priyanka Chopra got herself trained in martial arts for Drona, a film which she is doing with Abhishek Bachchan. A source from the film unit says, “Priyanka was informed by someone on the set that Arjan Bajwa is a Taekwondo expert.

She takes special interest in knowing various forms of martial arts. During the shot breaks, they would talk about how she did her own stunts in the film, and how Arjan practices Taekwondo on a regular basis.”

Priyanka was not aware of the fact that Taekwondo is a blend of Shotokan Karate with other Chinese and Korean martial arts. But finally, she got all information from Arjan. So now we won’t be surprised if we see Arjan and Priyanka in a martial arts film!
    'Martial arts discipline the mind and body'
    13 Jul 2008, 0001 hrs IST,
    Martial arts expert, Yajness Shhetty is a known name in the film industry.

In the last 28 years he has trained many actors in different forms of martial arts. Bollywood’s biggest names, Amitabh Bachchan, Ajay Devgan, Akshay Kumar, Salman Khan, Hrithik Roshan, Govinda, Juhi Chawla, Priyanka Chopra, Isha Koppikar, Karishma Kapoor, have all been trained and prepared for their screen fights under him, and they can vouch for his in-depth knowledge of the arts. Right now he is also training Farhan Akhtar in martial arts for a film besides a host of other newcomers who are making their entry into Bollywood.

Here are some tips given by the martial arts expert to all those interested in training in the art:

1 The person should be mentally prepared to do the exercise. He should dedicate himself whole-heartedly to the training. And he should be flexible enough to perform all types of movements.

2 The person should feel happy about learning the art. He should prepare his body to work in that direction inorder to achieve the goal.

3 Martial art sharpens the memory skills and increases your IQ level.

4 It brings discipline into your lives and makes you more focussed. So the chances of you falling into bad company are less. It throws the negative energies out from your body, and the mind becomes calmer. In other words, it disciplines your mind and body.

5Once you start learning the art, you don’t get panicky when confronted with stressful situations. Your mindset changes and you don’t get worried about silly things.

6 Martial art helps in curing a lot of diseases like arthritis, cough and cold, etc. The martial art called Tai-chi can be practised even by 70 and 80 years old men and women. It helps in straightening their body structure and makes them more energetic even at an old age.

7It is a great tool for self-defence and girls need to learn it the most. The patience, technique and knowledge that you gain after learning martial arts helps you in all types of combat.

8If a person works out everyday in the art form he will feel a lot lighter. He will be free from frustrations, stresses and worries of life.

9 Martial art helps to bring peace in the society. It is not meant to harm anybody. It should be used for the good of people.

10Meditation helps to calm the mind and this is an important feature of martial arts. So when one wakes up in the morning and does the exercises at a time when the world is at peace, the person feels pleasant and peaceful throughout the day.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Should have expected this one...

Search 'fundas' if you don't know...

Kung-fu fundas
    27 Jul 2008, 1507 hrs IST, Norbert Rego,TNN

Are you fighting or are you dancing, is no longer a dreaded question of grace. Now, you can be lithe as well as lethal, with the combination of martial arts, aerobics and a jazzy remix of popular Bollywood songs.

“You need physical and emotional energy to manage relationships, a home and work. That’s why so many new fitness concepts like sports yoga, Bollywood dance and martial arts — society needs to constantly re-energise for go o d h e a l t h and fitness. I l ove my Bollywood dance, tennis and yoga sessions. At the end of the day, energy is what drives life,” says Geetanjali Kirloskar, chairperson, India Japan Initiative.

Self-defence is also creeping in to make exercise forms more robust. “Exercises based on principles of martial arts are popular as one uses less equipment and more of one’s own body weight to exercise. These exercises, once learnt, can be performed anywhere,” says Dr Dilip Nadkarni, orthopedic surgeon and sports medicine consultant, Lilavati Hospital, Mumbai. But warns, “One must ensure proper posture while performing. Sometimes, if the form goes awry, injuries could happen.”

The result is a strength training that is as powerful as it is useful, entertaining as it is addictive. Fitness instructor Reema Sarin has conceptualised and choreographed Bollywood aerobics, better known as the ‘Bollyfit Program’. It consists of dance aerobics steps, synchronised to Bollywood remix numbers. “Each song is carefully chosen and tested at increased speeds of 120 -130 beats per minute (bpm), which is the average speed for fun aerobic classes. For step aerobic classes, songs are remixed at 100 bpm,” she says.

It helps that Bollywood numbers are themselves superlative for the heart rate today. Many of the numbers are catchy, have fast paced tempos, and ensure that dancers get their heart rate up and reach the zone ideal for fat burn. Some of the faster paced songs can give your heart and lungs a great workout.

“It always takes many days and hours of practice to match the right moves to the right song, and to ensure that one gets a good workout, by teaching a well-balanced exercise routine, consisting both of high-impact as well low-impact aerobic moves,” Reema adds.

Choreographers today incorporate a lot of steps, which can help the body gain flexibility and muscle strength apart from a good cardio workout. “But fitness enthusiasts should get their fitness levels assessed before jumping on the high-impact bandwagon,” warns Dr Nadkarni.

“Aerobic kickboxing, the combination of karate and boxing, is one such form of exercise, which with basic kicks, punches, strikes and blocks in an aerobics mode, provides a full-body workout. Hence, it doubles the impact of aerobics,” says Roja Ayengar, Hyderabadbased learner of aerobics.

Cardio kickboxing or aerobic kickboxing is regarded as one of the most efficient calorie burners of all the fitness activities with around 800 calories burned in one hour, whereas regular aerobics burns around 500 calories per hour.

“Aerobic kickboxing is a combination of kicks and punches of martial arts with aerobic exercises to provide benefit of both in form of flexibility, strength, stamina, endurance, muscle building, cardiovascular exercise and weight management, and increase in overall fitness level with added advantage of self-defence,” concludes Dr Arpit Jain, consultant, internal medicine, Artemis Health Institute, Gurgaon.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I can't get past the opening paragraph...

"Welcome to the new world order where girls are no longer willing to take things lying down"???

Martial arts popular with Patna girls
    29 Jul 2008, 0451 hrs IST, Madhuri Kumar,TNN

Power punches are in; fear factor is out. Welcome to the new world order where girls are no longer willing to take things lying down. Instead, they troop down to the nearest patch of green to practise punches and kicks.

Martial arts - the art of self-defence - is fast gaining ground in the state capital and other district towns. Girls are learning judo, karate, taekwondo and other martial art forms to lead life with confidence and dignity.

They are learning a chin punch to stun an assaulter, a temple punch to knock consciousness out of a molester and a back elbow punch to silence a guy acting funny in a bus. They are determined not to let things pass but teach a lesson that eve-teasers and molesters will remember forever.

The martial arts classes are typically not competition-oriented. They focus on self-defence and traditional values of the art, training a person to deliver a kick or punch at the target with force, precision and speed.

"The physical application is not so much muscle power as it is breath control and reaction force," said second dan black belt Karate instructor Hari Om Kumar. His training academy is affiliated to the International Science Martial Arts Confederation.

Pataliputra Sports Club founder Ashok Kumar, a fourth degree dan in Taekwondo and a first-class national refree says, "While girls are coming to learn martial arts, the need is to create more awareness about the art among women as they feel uncertain about learning taekwondo. My students are mostly schoolgirls. But once they finish school, few continue."

Pataliputra Sports Club currently has 17 girls, all from schools like Notre Dame Academy and St Karen's High School.

The Martial Art Federation, founded by Sensei Zuber Ahmed, also has 10 girls among the 50 undergoing training at the institute.

Gautam Kumar, state chief of All Bihar Sei****ukai ****oryu Karate Do Association, says, "Over the years, an increasing number of girls, many from rural areas, have taken up Karate as a means to self-defence."

Sei****ukai, which has statewide branches, has 500 students. Half of them are girls. As the fee - ranging from Rs 150 to Rs 200 - is nominal, the classes attract girls from the not so well-to-do families as well.

There are several other organizations that impart judo and karate training. Among them are the Renshican ****oryu Karate Do Assocition near Tripolia Hospital, Shikokai ****oryu Karate Do Association at Digha and Lee Academy at Boring Road.

Most of these organizations are associated with the All India Karate Do Federation, which in turn is affiliated to the Indian Olympic Association.

Several girls-only schools in Patna have appointed martial arts instructors to teach students the art of self-defence in schools itself.

As karate instructor Ritesh says, "Girls can use martial arts in day-to-day life. Self-defence is nothing but a quick reflex to protect yourself. You don't need to be an expert to deliver the first blow before the attacker does. All you need is confidence and presence of mind. Besides empowering girls to tackle unpleasant situations, training in martial arts also helps to improve their physical fitness."

HRD principal secretary Anjani Kumar Singh says, "In almost all government middle schools, there is provision for imparting training in judo, karate and cycling under National Programme for Education of Girls at Elementary Level (NPEGEL)."

One of the first myth that is broken in these martial art classes is that women do not have the strength to protect themselves. "If you are mentally fit and believe in yourself, you can take care of most situations," said Ashok Kumar, a self-defence trainer.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips