Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Bollywood Kung-Fu!!

Bollywood babes kicking butt

Must find out more about this Fearless Nadia...
    Babes get fast and furious!
    28 May 2009, 0000 hrs IST, AAKANKSHA NAVAL SHETYE , TNN

The macho men of Bollywood have competition ahead, and it’s from our actresses who’re giving them a tough fight when it comes to doing action on screen.

The past year-and-a-half has seen a surge in B-town hotties foraying into the male bastion of action — to kick the myth of the docile heroine into oblivion. Priyanka Chopra, Aishwarya Bachchan, Bipasha Basu, Kareena Kapoor and Shweta Bharadwaj have all already revealed their daredevil streaks. The genre is catching on with others donning the action-star mantle too in forthcoming films, even risking injury in the bargain, like Nandana Sen did while doing stunt sequences recently.

The year kickstarted with the hottie-on-heels Deepika Padukone indulging in some serious ass-kicking in Chandni Chowk to China. Now other actresses are taking the action to an altogether different level. Sample this: In Soham Shah’s Luck, newcomer Shruti Haasan has done her own stunts, including one where she is suspended mid-air from a height of 2,000 ft.

Another newcomer Aruna Shields will be seen ‘bike bungee jumping’ from one skyscraper to another for the Vivek Oberoi-starrer Prince. Akshay Kumar’s action mania seems to have finally rubbed off on his co-star Katrina Kaif, as she too has joined the action-babes’ bandwagon by performing a dangerous water-skiing stunt in Priyadarshan’s De Dana Dan; as has Lara Dutta, who shot for some high-octane action sequences in Anthony D’Souza’s underwater adventure film Blue. Koena Mitra and Tanushree Dutta will also be seen in butt-kicking avatars. Divya Dutta will do a boxing scene in Chaloo Movie, while Celina Jaitley jumped from a high rise in Run Bhola Run.

“Action is no more the forte of the heroes alone,” say trade pundits. One explains, “Unlike yesteryear heroines, nowadays the actresses are fitter, agile and not afraid to try something new. Exactly what the audiences want. Today the heroine is not just the love-interest, she is also the buddy!” Dia Mirza, who’s playing a femme fatale in Acid Factory, agrees, “They are now treated as near equals; though the hero still is the knight in shining armour, the lady’s definitely no damsel in distress.”

Action choreographer Alan Amin points out that it also largely has to do with the fact that performing such stunts are way much safer today than they ever were. “Technology has minimised the risk to a great extent, but still that cannot take away the credit from the actresses who are ready to take more risks. They are far more prepared and many are quite well-versed with kick-boxing and martial arts. Actresses today can carry off the most intricate stunts with practised ease.”
    Says Soham, “The pre-requisite for any actress is not dancing or singing alone, but also martial arts, kick-boxing and such action-oriented stuff. Today’s women identify more with these types than with the docile ones.” Bipasha agrees.

“Women are capable of much more than singing, dancing and calling out to the heroes when in distress. Luckily, filmmakers have realised it and are giving actresses a chance to be something more than just a glamourous prop in the films,” says the sexy actress who’s action sequences in Race and Aa Dekhe Zaraa set pulses racing. Adds Lara, “The bars are being set higher with each passing film.” Priyanka and Aishwarya, who admitted that they find doing action both challenging and addictive, would undoubtedly agree. Yesteryear action queen Fearless Nadia must feel very proud!
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Tollywood Kung-Fu!!

This works better if you check out some pics of Hamsa Nandini.

Hamsa picks up martial arts

After Nayanthara and Anushka, it’s now the turn of Hamsa Nandini to learn martial

“I had to master all those kicks and punches,” she says. The actress
    of Adinetha fame also mastered art of the ‘sword-fighting’ for her future roles. After learning the tricks of the trade, the actress desires to do more ‘action’ roles. The Pune-based actress is also learning Telugu for a longer stint in Tollywood. “I’ll sign a couple of Telugu films soon,” she signs off.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Here's a long overdue ttt

More on Hamsa, including a pic of her in an odd pseudo-martial arts pose if you follow the link...
    Hamsa takes up martial arts
    IndiaGlitz [Friday, August 14, 2009]

The tall and lanky beauty Hamsa Nandini has caught some attention with her movie “Adhineta”. She is slowly making her presence felt in the industry.

Now according to sources, the tall beauty is taking up martial arts. Sources claim that she has already learnt sword fighting. Meanwhile, the actress who hails from Pune is also learning Telugu. Well looks like she does not want to leave anything to chance and giving her best for her roles.

Even actresses Nayanthara and Anushka are said to have taken to martial arts and perhaps that is one reason for their perfect figures.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Technically, this is Tollywood

But I'm not starting a Tollywood Kung Fu thread. This one here is obscure enough.

Click link if you want to see Ram's sansetsukon.
    Ram is all set for some 'Action'
    B V S Prakash, TNN 24 September 2009, 12:00am IST

Guess who’s kicking some serious butt? Mana Tollywood heartthrob Ram. In his new film, the charming 23-year-old actor got to show off his newly acquired martial skills.

In fact, Ram claims that he even imported a Sansetsukon (a Chinese flail weapon) from the US to get his act right. “It’s the same kind of weapon used in 36th Chamber of Shaolin,” he says with a hint of pride in his voice. The actor practiced hard to get his movements right for the action sequences and insists that the shots would be “much appreciated by everyone in the audience.”

This is not the first time that the actor gets into the action mode. Ram says he has learnt “kung fu for two years before joining films. And the nun chak fight scene in my debut film Devadasu fetched me appreciation,” he informs.

While in Tollywood “action sequences don’t really need brute power and force,” Ram would like to do an “out-and-out action film, very soon.”

In fact Ram’s work life too has been fairly action-packed with the actor working on two films back-to-back. He felt he was “doing 200 films at a time” because he gets “involved in every aspect of filmmaking”. His busy schedule made his friends worried about his well-being. Now he’s looking forward to catching up with “friends” “family” and check out some new films.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Bollywood SHAOLIN WUSHU fu!

Kung-Fu for Rosa Catalano In China
    - Planet Bollywood Special Correspondant
    Rosa Catalano is fit and is becoming fitter as days are passing by. A kick-boxing freak past 4 years, a trained martial arts person, Rosa is now going to try her hands in the oldest and the best form of martial arts, Wushu Kung-Fu from Anan Henan in China.

“I have always been keen into learning martial arts and nothing beats Wushu Kung Fu, from the ancient Shaolin temple. I am really looking forward for this. Many think that martial art is only for self-defense, but according to me, it is a co-ordination between the mind and the body. It makes your body feel good”, explains Rosa Catalano who is also doing great action stuffs in Khatron Ke Khiladi.

It seems our own action Hero Akshay Kumar has really helped her motivation to ascend to great deals while doing the show.

With having a motivation for perfection in martial arts, there seems no barrier for this Italian girl who is also keen in kicking and showing some of her moves in action films. Are our action directors listening?
    This works much better with an image.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

More on Rosa

These Bollywood babes love to train a little for the publicity, which is alright by me. Gives me something to post here. This article is derivative of the previous post, but there's a pic of Rosa in a funky kung fu pose. You have to click it though because MSN has the image protected.

29/09/2009
    Rosa Catalano to learn Wushu Kung-Fu

Rosa Catalano combating fear on 'Khatron ke Khiladi level 2' seems to have taken a leaf out of anchor Akshay Kumar’s book.

A kick-boxing freak for the past four years and trained in martial arts, Rosa is now all rearing to leave for China to try her hands at one of the oldest forms of martial arts, Wushu Kung-Fu from Anan Henan.

"I have always been keen into learning martial arts and nothing beats Wushu Kung Fu, from the ancient Shaolin temple. I am really looking forward for this. Many think that martial art is only for self-defense, but according to me, it is a co-ordination between the mind and the body. It makes your body feel good", said Rosa Catalano.

With having a motivation for perfection in martial arts, there seems no barrier for this Italian girl who is also keen in kicking and showing some of her moves in action films. She sure would be a delight for all those producers who are planning sci-fi and action movies.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Back to Akshay

There are more stories. Akshay is always big news in India.
    Karate kid Akshay honoured
    MEENA IYER , TNN 12 October 2009, 12:00am IST

The Bollywood superstar who goes by the nickname Khiladi Kumar is being honoured with a ‘Katana’ at a ceremony in Mumbai. The renowned Shihan Hirano Osamu, Grandmaster and founder of the Kuyukai International and Mehul Vora, the organiser of the first invitational National Open Karate Championship will honour Akshay with a ‘Katana’ and a sixth degree Black Belt in Kuyukai Gojuryu Karate.

Akki, who is a martial arts expert, is thrilled to be receiving the ‘Katana’, which is the highest honour amongst the Japanese and it is a tradition practiced among Samurai.

Says the superstar, “It’s a privilege to be receiving this honour. Karate is a part of my soul and to be honoured with something as precious as a ‘Katana’ is something I hadn’t even dreamt of.” Says a source from Kuyukai International, “Akshay has always portrayed martial arts in a good light. Many a times he has tried to incorporate martial stunts in his films as well, keeping the tradition alive.”
    IndiaGlitz [Monday, October 12, 2009]

Hereon our Akshay Kumar might be adding a new title to his name. Katana Akshay Kumar.

Ok coming to the news… our rough-tough actor was honoured with ‘Katana’, the highest honour within Japanese, and a sixth degree Black Belt in Kuyukai Gojuryu Karate, for his contribution towards martial arts, said sources. ‘Katana’ is said to be a Samurai tradition. The ceremony was held in Mumbai today. It was graced by Shihan Hirano Osamu, the famous Grandmaster and founder of the Kuyukai International and Mehul Vora, the organiser of the first invitational National Open Karate Championship.

Excited over this achievement, Akki gushed, “It’s a privilege to be receiving this honour. Karate is a part of my soul and to be honoured with something as precious as a ‘Katana’ is something I hadn’t even dreamt of.”

Whereas according to a source from the Kuyukai organisation said that Akki has always portrayed martial arts in a good light. “Many a times, he has tried to incorporate martial stunts in his films as well, keeping the tradition alive,” added the source.

Well done, Akki!!!
    Akshay gets highest martial arts honour
    Chandni Gandhi (Headlines Today)
    Mumbai, October 13, 2009

Akshay Kumar is now Shiyan Akshay Kumar. A trained martial arts expert, the actor has been honoured with a Katana, the symbol of the highest honour in martial arts.

"This day has been a longstanding dream. Karate, along with my father, has made me what I am today. Goju Ryu karate has been the longest love of my life," said Akshay after receiving the honour.

Akshay has also been given a sixth-degree Black Belt in karate for his contribution towards martial arts. "I came into the film industry knowing only martial arts. Now I am doing as much as I can in return," he said.

Akshay wishes to start his own school of karate to encourage other forms of martial arts.

"I wanted to start my own school long ago but never got a decent site. I need about 3 or 4 acres for the project," he said.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

All I have to say is, BY GANEESH !!!
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Arjun Rampal and Amrita Rao

No risk, no fun
    Prithwish Ganguly / DNA
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 23:59 IST

Mumbai: Arjun Rampal and mrita Rao are enrolling themselves for Shaolin Kung Fu classes. However, it's ot for self-defence, but to pull off some high-risk stunts in a forthcoming film. The film titled The Legend Of Kunal is based on the relationship between Emperor Ashoka and his son. It stars Amitabh Bachchan in the lead.

A source says, "Arjun will have to undergo a rigorous training session as there are many fight sequences to be filmed on him. He will flaunt a bare torso and his abs in the film. And Shaolin Kung Fu will make him fit enough to challenge his physical abilities. Amrita, on the other hand, has already started training hard. She will also have many scenes in which she will have to pull off muscle flexing stunts. Apart from this, she is also taking lessons in horse-riding."

While Arjun chose to remain mum about the project, Amrita's spokesperson said, "Amrita's role demands much more than just looking glamourous. She does a lot of stunts. She is training with a Shaolin expert who has been in India for a few months. She trains for 3-4 hours a day. In fact she plans to take this up on a daily basis even after the movie is over as that would help her remain fit."

Directed by Chandraprakash Dwivedi, the film will also have Tabu, who is paired opposite Bachchan.
    Amrita Rao is on the October Maxim
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Akshay pays it back

We need an Akshay for kung fu in America...
    Akshay Kumar foregoes fees for Karate show

In his endeavour to spread awareness about Karate and Martial Arts in general, Akshay Kumar has let go of at least a few lakhs for a TV show. A special 'making' segment has been created for the Karate Championship sponsored by him. However, the actor didn't talk commercials when the channel expressed its desire to air it.

Says a source attached to the channel Colors that would be airing the program titled 'Akshay Kumar Invitational Karate Event', "This is a very special event since Akshay Kumar is sponsoring a Karate Championship for the youngsters. The purpose is to enhance their talent, showcase their skills and represent their country. This is why he didn't even charge a penny for the program. He is not looking for any money here since he feels very strongly about the relevance of Martial Arts and wants all around awareness to be spread about it."

As the actor has always maintained, through this Championship he is looking at more and more youngsters in the country to come closer to Martial Arts. Just like in Singapore where learning Martial Arts is a must for everyone, he wants India too to wake up to this fact and become an expert in self defence.
    Updated on Sunday, November 22, 2009, 14:12 IST
    Spicezee Bureau

Mumbai: Known for his daredevil stunts in B-town flicks, Akshay Kumar is famous for popularising Martial Arts in Bollywood. The star who is celebrated for carrying out his own stunts, was recently stunned when rumour mills hinted that the action star made huge moolah for a Martial Arts show that is currently running on an entertainment channel.

When enquired about the whole incident, while speaking to a news daily, a miffed Akshay retorted, “What packet, I didn’t do this commercially, I made no packet — why do people say that? In fact, it’s pay back time to Martial Arts for me.”

The actor minced no words when he credited his achievements to his parents and Martial Arts as, “Martial Arts is not about kicking ass only, it’s basically about developing self-confidence, mental balance, discipline and respect. I’m not saying do Karate only... you can do anything, take up Judo, follow Aikido, learn Jeet Kune Do, it’s all a good thing, I’m just trying to promote the martial arts as a way of life.”

The macho actor recently held a national level Martial Arts tournament in Mumbai and invited sportsmen from various countries as he added, “They came at my expense, I was their host, and the tournament threw up such surprises. Age does not matter in the Martial Arts, there were fighters from the age of six to 66, all actively participating. One eight-year-old boy who was deaf and dumb and is an orange belt, went on to win the silver medal.”

Incidentally, the same event is being shown on a TV channel to popularise Martial Arts in the country. Well, the star is vocal in persuading the Indian government to make Martial Arts as a compulsory subject in school like, “Between the first standard and tenth, school students must compulsorily do two years of Martial Arts in these nations.”
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    All I have to say is, BY GANEESH !!!

What does one add to say Mumbai!

I need to see some more Bollywood

I haven't seen any Bollywood since CC2C.
    Salman Khan learns sword fighting from Pindaris for VEER!!
    [03 Dec 2009]

Salman Khan, the macho man of bollywood who plays the part of a Pindari warrior in Anil Sharma’s upcoming flick ‘Veer’, learned sword fighting from the original descendants of the community to inject a sense of realism in his dream project.

Salman Khan, who has become fond of Aamir Khan, seems to have imbibed his habit of going to any length to perfectly enact the character and this was amply displayed in sword fighting practice for ‘Veer’. In fact, Salman Khan told his action director to search for the original Pindari people, so that he could learn from them their specialized technique of fighting from a horseback.

Finally, a few families of the almost extinct clan were located in their old areas and brought to train macho Khan. Salman Khan is said to have closely observed their body language and mannerism while on the horse back before enacting the character himself in the film.

Sources close to Salman Khan say that though he had written the script of the flick a long time ago, but the research about Pindari clan began only after the film went on the floors. Salman Khan’s action director Tinu Verma was a great help in this regard, as it was he who did the major part of research on the Pindari warfare, and then directed Salman in accordance with that.

Salman Khan plays a Pindari warrior in year 1875, when India was being ruled by British royalty. The Pindaris had been a great warrior clan, who supported Marathas in their fight against the Mughal dynasty, and in return were allowed to plunder the conquered territories.

But when British took over Delhi from Mughals, the Pindaris came directly in conflict with these foreign rulers. Salman Khan’s character is fighting British during this period. It is during this period that Lord Hastings had struck a death blow on Pindari prestige and killed almost thirty thousand of them.

Miss UK Lisa Lazarus will also play an important role in the flick opposite Salman Khan to give it an authentic British era look on the celluloid. Salman, as a Pindari warrior, will also fight a lion to save the British girl in distress in the jungles.

A newbie Zarine Khan, who is said to be Katrina Kaif’s look alike, plays the main lead opposite Salman Khan. Salman Khan had spotted Zarine on the sets of Subhash Ghai’s ‘Yuvvraaj’ and immediately cast her after Katrina Kaif cited date problems in accepting the flick.

‘Veer’ is complete and will see the light of the day in early part of next year.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Nix on Jackie and Shah Rukh

This would have been huge in Asia.
    Published: Sunday, March 21, 2010 10:21 [IST]
    No Jackie Chan in Ra.One: SRK

There were recent reports in the media that Jackie Chan would be making his Bollywood debut in Shah Rukh Khan superhero film, Ra.One. However, Shah Rukh Khan has said that Jackie will not be a part of his film.

“No Jackie Chan in Ra. One. That’s final now,” Shah Rukh Khan posted on twitter.

International musician Akon has sung a song in the film.

Shah Rukh wrote, “Akon song in the film. May do video later. Don’t know. We have international VFX team working with our own.”

The actor also wrote that he would be performing his own stunts in the film.

“Like to do my stunts…It’s scary but I do them. I am just a regular guy doing an irregular job…so no reason not to be grounded.”

Ra.One, which also stars Kareena Kapoor, is being directed by Anubhav Sinha. Shah Rukh Khan is producing it under his home production Red Chillies Entertainment.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Do Indian Porn starlets count as Bollywood?

http://www.priyaanjalirai.com/v1/ima...ai_pics-09.jpg
    Last edited by ghostexorcist; 03-23-2010 at 02:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ghostexorcist View Post
    Do Indian Porn starlets count as Bollywood?

http://www.priyaanjalirai.com/v1/ima...ai_pics-09.jpg
    They should !
    Wood indeed !!
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !