Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Jeet Kune Do

actually, in rereading your post, i have to concede that your friend didn't say that JKD was telegraphic and easily defeated. he made that observation about the guy he sparred. and that's fair enough.

to answer your question, then, no i don't believe it reflects badly on the style itself. only on that particular individual. and even then, it says he had a bad day. not necessarily that he was a bad practitioner.

it's very difficult to draw meaningful conclusions from one encounter.

stuart b.

Yes, I am 16 years old. My friend is 17. He says that he knows 7 forms of kung fu not styles. As much as I would like to fight someone who knows Jeet Kune Do, it and pretty much all other forms of martial arts are pretty much nonexistant where I live. The only karate is the bullsh*t karate that they teach small children, an extremely watered down version of T'ai Chi, and an incredible kung fu school about 2 hours from where I live. Maybe in the next competitions I partake in I will encounter some JKD.

perhaps, yeah. but, again, no it doesn't mean that JKD is a bad style.

by the way, seven styles of kung fu would be a lot for anyone to learn, nevermind a 17-year-old. seven forms is a bit misleading if he's talking about individual sets (kata, poomse, etc.) within one style. if he is, i've learned about 18 forms. and that's far from extraordinary.

keep an open mind and you'll be fine.

stuart b.

Actually most martial arts can be viewed as predicatable. Some may say that Vunak is predicatable, you know the same old straight blast, elbows knees, head butts. You can also say that Choy Lay Fut kung fu is predicyable with its kwa sao charp combos(singinging type back fist, overhand strike, straight punch). If you want to talk about predicatable, you may want to consider Dan Inosanto, this guy can flow seamlessly into all kind of technqiues from boxing to kicking to trapping to wrestling. But I think Dan is most efficient in kali and silat type stuff.

Vunak makes his stuff work. He can pull it off.
    I have trained with the man himself, and I look nothing like him when I actually train, spar, or fight. My stuff looks more like MMA/NHB
    any sincere individual researches his own experience.

Ryu
    "No judo! NO NO!"

"One who takes pride in shallow knowledge or understanding is like a monkey who delights in adorning itself with garbage."

Attain your highest ability, and continue past it. Emotion becomes movement. Express that which makes you; which guides you. Movement and Mind without hesitation. Physical spirituality...
    This is Jeet Kune Do....

If you want to talk about predicatable, you may want to consider Dan Inosanto,

Are you saying that Dan is or isnt predicatable?

Sounds BS...since I haven't notice many JKDD sparring in competition other than MUY THAI and KICKBOXING events. Vunak is excellent in his trapping. I feel that his students from VA doesn't do anything like him...some are capable at MUY THAI while a few at trapping...others at grappling. Master my ass...still haven't seen many master put themselve in competition to get that type of title or respect.
    A

I was trying to say that if you think that JKD is predictable, then you should consider again and see the seamless flow into a wide range of different techniques.

Legitimite Jeet Kune Do

Well there is the orthodox school of Jeet Kunde Do, derived from Bruce Lee's techniques. But the chance of finding a real intructor knowing the arts of that generation is rare. But searching for the concept Jeet Kunde Do is a lot easier. But eitherway, how do you know that what you're learning really is Jeet Kune Do, the moves that are being taught are actually combat effective and not dojo impressive? Because anyone these days can claim to teach JKD and show you a few jabbs and kicks to the groin, etc. They are lot harder to tell legitimite than a McDojo karate. Thank you.
    Milia Macerusk

Huh?

You learn from your teacher. His art, his method. There is no such thing as Jeet Kune Do.

strike!

Roight... back to square 1 again -_-. Anyone else who had a coffee in the morning and actually read what I posted? No offense. Thanks.
    Milia Macerusk

He's referring to the theory that JKD is what you make of it... thus it can be almost anything. (Not everyone agrees with that, but I'm not willing to argue the point.)

1. There is more than 1 "orthodox" school of JKD as what Bruce taught changed over the years.

2. You can tell the real deal apart from the McDojo's just like you do with everything else. Can they explain why they do something? Or do they do it because they were taught it like that? Do they apply it reallistically? In both learning drills and sparring... Ultimately look for simplicity. Are they refining their technique or adding to it?

3. Take the time to find some of the original students and study with them. Until you can see them in action in person, try to find video's/books/articles by them. Each has a different perspective.

4. I may get banned for this but... look for some other forums! This JKD section is just about dead! www.forumco.com/pauljbax/
    Very politically controversial but you will probably learn alot anyway.

Yes I understand that JKD is purely based on what you make of it. But I also consider that there needs to be a fundamental basis before you develop stuff of your own. And I rather rely on somone of Lee's pedigree than some teacher who learned some muay thai and judo calling it JKD, because it's not JKD, it's muay thai and judo . And the integral aspect of JKD should be Wing Chun, althought Bruce modified it to fit his needs, nonetheless the mother line and the center and central line was still used instead of being discarded. So it would be much more sensible to learn from an instrutor who uses that concept along with calling it a legitimite JKD, otherwise as this gentleman below implied, lol, anything could be JKD -

Originally posted by davethedragon
    i studied with wing chun for about 3 years during that time i learnt about an art that is complete and diverse.
    i am now interested inlearning what other arts have to offer in order to obtain a greater overall perspective.
    i have trained in other different arts including tai chi chuan and systema and find them all fascinating. i also think that there is a lot to offer in learning other arts.
    does this make a jeetkune do practitioner i dont know im just doing my thing and loving every minute of it!!!!
    i love these things!!
    Milia Macerusk

But, ironically, what he did is "actually" JKD.
    Milia Macerusk

From what I know BL never intented for JKD to become a specific style.
    I also don't think that "JKD" was finished or finalised when he died.

As for the WC connection, that is simply the style that he studied in HK.
    But I think his philosophy should hold true regardless of what your base style is.

Cheers.

P.S.: There might soon be another "Ki" thread over on E-Budo, see you there.