Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

Thread: Jeet Kune Do

Check out the staight blast gym ( www.straightblastgym.com )

Look at his funtional JKD series.

bruce lee

hey i have never done one this things on com. so bare with . As for trainning jeet kune do. linda lee cadwell. bruce lee wife at the time of his death. has tried to keep true. bruce lee went to the extreme. I have know a lot of artist every one seems to think he was the best but he was more of street fighter.

chuck norris

chuck norris and bruce lee were friends. but they ate lunch once aweek one they wre living in the same town. when they stopped at the lights . bruce lee had a board in the front seat. he would beet it to make his hands stronger. it bug chuck alittle. I allways got a laugh on that. but that is extreme.

local jeet kune do

hi my name is anthony i live near st helens, merseyside England and was wondering if anyone knew if there is a jeet kune do club close to there. Any help will be greatly appreciated. anthony

New Orleans Saints rookie defensive end Alex Jenkins - JKD

JKD is an interesting choice for NFL.

Saints rookie Alex Jenkins combines knowledge of martial arts with pass rushing skills

Saints international practice squad player Alex Jenkins (74) during Saints OTA's at the team's headquarters on Thursday, June 1, 2017. (Photo by Michael DeMocker, NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune)
    The Times-Picayune By Herbie Teope, NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune
    on June 05, 2017 at 7:00 AM, updated June 05, 2017 at 7:02 AM

Defensive linemen often utilize numerous tools, such as speed, strength, leverage and the use of hands, to get past an offensive lineman.

So, it is a good thing New Orleans Saints rookie defensive end Alex Jenkins has worked his hands as long as he can remember while growing up in Bath, England.

The 24-year-old Jenkins couldn't avoid the workouts when considering his father, Peter, teaches Jeet Kune Do, a martial arts style founded by the legendary Bruce Lee and has roots in Wing Chun Kung Fu.

"I never took it officially," Jenkins said. "But every time I walked past him in the hallways, he'd grab my hands and start trapping."

The incorporation of hands come in a variety of Jeet Kune Do forms, such as the Pak Sao or Phon Sao, and the movements are designed to block or ensnare an opponent's hands and arms while simultaneously going on the offensive.

The skills learned from his father has translated well for the Saints rookie.

"Something I've been doing my whole life is something that relates to this game heavily, especially at my position," Jenkins said.

Martial arts blended with football isn't new, as some NFL pass rushers, such as Kansas City Chiefs outside linebacker Tamba Hali or Chicago Bears outside linebacker Lamarr Houston, incorporate both areas during offseason workouts.

When informed that Hali, who has trained with Ryron Gracie of the world-renowned Gracie Jiu-Jitsu Academy, and other NFL players are involved in various disciplines of martial arts to improve football skills, Jenkins became intrigued.

"I would definitely love to get into that," he said. "Maybe even get my dad out there because I show him some of the moves and he goes, 'Ah, that's this.' And he'll translate it to some sort of martial art, plus you have to put a little more hips into it in football."

The 6-foot-6, 270-pound Jenkins raises a good point on the game, of course, because while he uses forms of Jeet Kune Do on the football field, his primary goal is to become an NFL player.

Jenkins joins the Saints on a roster exemption as part of the league's new International Player Pathway initiative, which was awarded to the NFC South on a random draft in late May.

Each team in the division is allowed an 11th player on the practice squad, but the player is ineligible to be elevated to the 53-man roster during the regular season.

"It's a mixture of frustration, but then appreciation at the same time because it gives me a chance to learn and really focus on development," Jenkins said. "But being a competitor, an athlete and playing this game, you want to play.

"Ever since I started playing this game, I've always been the top guy, I've always been the guy getting the first-team reps, so it's an adjustment for me being on the sideline and watching. But, it's also a blessing to be able to learn, develop and see where I can be next season, how I can contribute to this team next year."

Jenkins caught the Saints' attention after flashing potential while playing at University of the Incarnate Word in San Antonio, where he was a three-year starter and recorded 3 1/2 sacks in his senior season.

He enjoyed success at UIW leading to his signing with the Saints, but Jenkins quickly realized the difference between college football and transitioning to the NFL level when he arrived days after organized team activities (OTAs) began.

"The speed of the game, the speed of how quickly you have to learn things, the size of the playbook," Jenkins said. "Obviously, I'm coming in a week late for OTAs, so I'm really trying to catch up, but those are definitely the things I think are a lot different than in college."

Jenkins admits to feeling anxious when he first hit the practice field, especially knowing the level of competition and going against NFL offensive linemen.

But it didn't take long for Jenkins to settle down, draw on martial arts skills he learned as a youth and gain the all-important confidence that he belonged.

"I won one of my first pass rushes with a spin," he said. "Soon as you get it out of your system, you feel good. I know I can play at this level."
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Hbd jkd!

HAPPY 50TH ANNIVERSARY, JEET KUNE DO
    "Using no way as way; having no limitation as limitation."

Photo Credit: Bruce Lee Enterprises

Fans of Bruce Lee know that in addition to being a movie star and perhaps the most influential martial artist ever, he is the founder of a groundbreaking philosophy and expression of martial arts known as Jeet Kune Do, or "Way of the Intercepting Fist." But did you know that this week marks the 50th anniversary of Jeet Kune Do?

Fifty years ago, on July 9, 1967, Bruce Lee made his very first mention of something called "Jeet Kune Do," scrawled in the hand-written notes of his day planner. It was apparently his first attempt to put a name or label to his evolving martial expression -- something he was initially reluctant to do.

"Lee wrestled with putting a name to his art as he constantly veered away from any type of crystallization (and thereby limitation) of its essence," according to the official Bruce Lee Facebook page. "However, the simple need to refer to it in some concrete way won out and Jeet Kune Do was born."

Unlike more traditional martial arts, Jeet Kune Do is not fixed or patterned, instead prioritizing the cultivation and honest self-expression of the individual over rigid forms or any organized style. The idea of intercepting is key to Jeet Kune Do, whether it be the interception of your opponent's technique or his intent. The basic guiding principles are simplicity, directness and freedom -- the form of no form.

Or, as Lee put it in 1973's Enter the Dragon, "The art of fighting without fighting."

By the way, Bruce Lee was a prolific writer. He took meticulous notes and filled volumes upon volumes of journals with everything from poems to affirmations and philosophical reflections. With his passing in 1973, he left behind a trove of personal, handwritten insight into the mind and heart of a true iconoclast.

Also: Bruce Lee had magnificent penmanship.
    50 years. Awesome.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    50 years. Awesome.
    Greetings,

That is the worst scratch that I have ever seen by Bruce Lee. Just sayin'

mickey

ttt for 2018!

Hmm, how did this thread escape my attention for so long? It just popped up on a search because I wanted to post the article below, but I'll add to it later with some of the interviews, etc. I've done with some of our more scholarly authors.

In new book, professor explores the benefits of physical play like martial arts
    Q&A with Janet O’Shea, UCLA professor of dance, about ‘Risk, Failure, Play: What Dance Reveals about Martial Arts Training’
    Sidney Kantono | September 19, 2018

UCLA
    For Janet O’Shea, practicing martial arts has allowed her to re-connect with physical play and its benefits.

Janet O’Shea, professor of dance at UCLA, has dedicated her life and career to the study and performance of dance. Inspired by martial artist Bruce Lee in the 1970s and armed with years of dance training, O’Shea began more recently to practice jeet kune do, the martial art that Lee created.

In her newest book, “Risk, Failure, Play: What Dance Reveals about Martial Arts Training,” O’Shea shares insight into her training and writes about the individual and societal benefits of physical play through the martial arts. By engaging in physical play like the martial arts, people can experience mastery, understand and embrace their own vulnerabilities and learn how to be better, more cooperative and sociable members of society.

With the book’s upcoming release, O’Shea, who teaches a Fiat Lux course on empowerment self-defense, spoke with UCLA Newsroom via email about her latest project.

As a writer and dancer, what drew you to the martial arts?

I grew up in the 1970s and Bruce Lee was an icon of my childhood. While I never idolized Lee, I wanted to study his system, jeet kune do, as soon as I knew it existed. It just took me a while to get to it, a time in which I studied and performed dance, trained in Wing Chun kung fu, learned to rockclimb and practiced yoga. I finally got a chance to train in jeet kune do when I learned it was offered by UCLA Recreation, a few years after I began working here in 2008.

Although my dance experience trained me to think with the body, thereby enabling me to pick up martial arts relatively quickly, what really delighted me about martial arts was not their similarity to dance but their differences.

In particular, I was intrigued by the physical exploration of human interaction in martial arts training, particularly in live practices such as sparring and grappling. Live training sets up an intentional and artificial disagreement between two people, which then gets worked out through physical problem solving. I was fascinated by the apparent unpredictability of sparring juxtaposed against experienced fighters’ ability to decode and intercept an opponent’s actions.

What inspired you to write the book?

I found myself devoting many hours a week to martial arts training, roughly the equivalent of a part-time job. As a writer, I rarely experience anything without writing about it. So I was writing free form but I didn’t have a clear shape for the book.

I assumed I would write a martial arts memoir and noticed that most books in that genre lead up to the novice’s inaugural competition fight. Gradually, I realized that I was more interested in training than I was in fighting and I wasn’t sure if having the one (or more than one) fight would tell me something that training didn’t. But if I wasn’t training toward a goal, why was I doing this?

This led me to the understanding that the absence of the goal, in itself, was central. Martial arts practice, for me and I suspect for many others, is intrinsically valuable. It is worthwhile in itself, not because it leads to something else. This intrinsic value, the opportunity it creates for experiencing mastery and navigating failure, its parameters of engagement and its transformation of meaning align martial arts with play. Rough, dynamic physical play is something that, for many adults, gets left by the wayside as goal-oriented activities take over. I was no exception.

Oxford University Press

You mention martial arts as a mix of violence and play, can you explain this intersection?

There’s a commonplace assumption that modern combat sports (boxing, kickboxing, grappling, mixed martial arts) allow people to indulge in violence. By contrast, the assumption is that traditional martial arts transcend violence through discipline, spirituality or ritual.

Instead of making a distinction between martial arts that transcend violence and those that deploy it, I’m suggesting that violence is both the ground of most martial arts training at the very same time that it stands in opposition to it. I started by borrowing from the UK-based public sociology project, Love Fighting Hate Violence, which distinguishes between fighting as consensual and violence as overriding consent. I draw out further differences between fighting and violence by attending to spaces of play; looking at the inversion of meaning attached to kicks, strikes and takedowns on the mat versus on the street; considering the importance of etiquette and gestures such as handshakes, fist bumps and touching gloves; and attending to how rules make the game.

My argument is that play gives us techniques for managing difficult realities with intelligence. In the case of martial arts, that reality is human violence.

How do you think “Risk, Failure, Play” and martial arts will benefit society?

The United States has come to neglect physical play. We’ve outsourced physical play to experts and have relegated it to particular phases of the lifespan. We are also, paradoxically, among the most competitive people in the world: the most likely to see competition as beneficial for individuals and society, the most likely to think success reflects effort and that competition is fair. We have come to dismiss the importance of parameters of fair play in daily life and in politics. All of this has come together to allow us to accept the erosion of democratic norms and to tolerate an economic system that condemns far too many people to permanent failure.

In delving into considerations such as vulnerability and failure, the need for intentional self-restraint and the acceptance of parameters of engagement, I hope to signal just how much competition needs to be managed for it to be beneficial rather than detrimental. So, while competition can sometimes hone focus, generate goodwill and produce pleasure, it only does so when balanced by an ethics of experience that ensures that respect, consent and cooperation matter more than outcome.

Why is physical play such as the martial arts imperative? Are there implications for society if we neglect it?

Physical play, when handled with intention and respect, teaches us about our own vulnerabilities and those of others. It can also, paradoxically, show us how capable we are. Physical play teaches us that it’s all right to fail at the same time that it reminds us that failure has real, and sometimes painful, consequences.

A society that neglects play is a society that devalues cooperation and dynamic exchange; it is a society that foregoes opportunities for interpersonal interaction and for acknowledging the subjectivity of others. A society that neglects play is one that denies vulnerability and attempts to circumvent risk, thereby cultivating fear.

It would be naïve to suggest that we can simply play our way to a more just and equitable world. Play clearly has the opportunity to backfire: it can recreate hierarchies and stimulate inequality, which are excused because it is “just play.” So I’m not simply saying that we should play; I’m saying we need to create opportunities for physical play and that we need to reflect on how we play, considering what realities our playful actions bring into being.

What do you hope people will take away from your book?

I’d be delighted if readers take up or renew their interest in some form of physical play, be that martial arts or another practice that encourages them to negotiate with others and examine their own abilities and limitations. But more than that, I’m hoping that readers will reflect on how, when and what we play. I’m hoping it’ll encourage readers to think about what we teach our kids through how we act at their soccer games, through what it signals to a college or a high school when a landscape centers on the football field, through what we tell ourselves when we watch professional sports but haven’t played a physical game in years.

I’m hoping that “Risk, Failure, Play” will get readers thinking about how disparate concerns such as inadequate leisure time in a neoliberal economy, a decline of civility in the public sphere and a disavowal of failure might be connected. I hope that readers will realize that solutions to larger societal problems can be immediate, things we can enact in our daily lives. And how we just might get to have fun in the process.

Media Contact
    Anne Marie Burke
    310-825-4140
    aburke@arts.ucla.edu

Louise Cale
    310-825-6540
    lcale@arts.ucla.edu
    THREADS:
    Scholarly books on Martial Arts
    Jeet Kune Do
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Our newest exclusive web article

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

great read & photos !

Our WINTER 2019 issue

READ Kung Fu, Fencing and Bruce Lee’s Jeet Kune Do By Gene Ching in our WINTER 2019 issue. Available digitally too via Zinio.

THREADS:
    Jeet Kune Do
    Fencing
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

A 2003 throwback on SCMP

Kung Fu
    What happens when Bruce Lee jeet kune do disciple in jumpsuit meets ‘Muay Thai’ fighter in the ring?
    Tony Valente tests his supposed jeet kune do skills in a fight against karateka Takayuki Kohiruimaki
    The 2003 fight for Japanese kick-boxing promotion K-1 causes stir on social media after resurfacing
    Nicolas Atkin
    Published: 10:00am, 14 Aug, 2019

Tony Valente (left) fights Takayuki Kohiruimaki for K-1 in Japan in 2003. Photos: YouTube/Fight Commentary Breakdowns
    It’s an age-old question – how would Bruce Lee fare in a professional fight?

The martial arts icon actually had one official fight, aged 17 against Gary Elms in a boxing bout in 1958 at St George’s School Gymnasium in Hong Kong.
    The rest has been left to the imaginations of martial arts fans – though a supposed disciple of Lee’s famed jeet kune do style did once test his skills against a supposed “Muay Thai” fighter.
    In 2003, Tony Valente – dressed in full Bruce Lee-style yellow jumpsuit – took on Takayuki “Taishin” Kohiruimaki, a skilled kyokushin karateka, for the Japanese kick-boxing promotion K-1 in 2003.

Takayuki wore traditional Thai ring gear to make it look like a clash of styles, but he’s obviously more trained in karate – which explains why he has no idea how to punch in the Muay Thai style.
    In the first round, Valente throws a few good sidekicks and spinning outside kicks, as Takayuki tries to figure out his opponent’s strange style.

Tony Valente’s strange style gave Takayuki Kohiruimaki a few problems.

He starts to get within Valente’s range to land some punches to the body and head. But the American continuously switches between stances and throws a few spinning backfists, with Takayuki seemingly hesitant to jab as he peppers Valente’s thighs with kicks.
    Late in the second round, though, Takayuki drops Valente with a kick to the left side of the body. But Valente gets to his feet – and so does the crowd, anticipating a finish.
    It doesn’t come immediately, with Valente surviving the rest of the second round. But Takayuki drops him again 50 seconds into the third round with another kick to the body and the referee waves it off.

Takayuki Kohiruimaki walks away after dropping Tony Valente with a body kick.

“Poor example of JKD [jeet kune do], this looked more like a guy with purely a TKD [taekwondo] background that wore a Bruce Lee suit just to stand out,” said one commenter on the video, which was posted on YouTube by Fight Commentary Breakdowns.
    “I think Takayuki took a little while to figure out how to deal with Valente’s style,” another commenter wrote. “Which he did: wait ’til Valente switches to southpaw, then throw the right rear-leg round kick to the body.”
    “Tony Valente is fake,” said another. “His style is not JKD. His style is kick-boxing. He is just a troll trying to be a JKD fighter.”
    THREADS
    Yellow/Black Jumpsuit
    Jeet Kune Do
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips