Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Jeet Kune Do

Cyborg Guest

Cross training huh?

I think that cross training is well worth while. However, I wouldn't call that JKD. My short definition would be "that which is most efficient at getting the job done." Add techniques all that you want but it won't make you more a better fighter.

Any body wanna spar?

azwingchun Guest

What is JKD?

I am not writing this to stir things up, because I know that JKD seems to be a touchy situation with some, and further more I don't study JKD. Though I once read an article online by one on Bruce's Kung Fu brothers (correct me if I am wrong), but I think it may have been Hawkins Cheung. He stated that Bruce fooled everyone (not in so many words, it was implied), he said that Bruce had 3 types of Kung Fu, and that was 1) the style we saw in movies 2) the style he taught to students and did demonstartions with 3) the way he actually fought in the streets (which was pure Wing Chun). Again this isnt to stir anything that was a quote. It also stated that the reason for this was to honor the old traditions of not giving outsiders the secrets of Kung Fu. I don't know if this was true since I nver knew Bruce personally, though it was a pretty interesting story.

Cyborg Guest
    Interesting. I seem to remember Bruce saying that he had 3 styles but they were different than that. 1 - Movie style, 2 - sparring and demo, 3- streetfighting. In a streetfight he could use the straight lead and simply eye gouge. I disagree with the statement about protecting WC's secrets, after all, wasn't that what his fight with Wong Jackman was all about? And remember he was continually revising his method and changing. I was in Karate years ago and thought "yeah, this is the best", then I got exposed to other styles, sparred some and revised, to put it mildly.
    In any case thanks for the info.

Any body wanna spar?

azwingchun Guest

Cyborg

Actually, as far as the fight with Wong Jackman goes, I guess it depends on what story you read or are told. I remember hearing a story by some people who were involved in this, and if memory serves me correctly, even Wong Jackman stated that the challenge had nothing to do with protecting tradition. It was said that it was because Bruce was making statements of being the best and offering challenges. Though I am very familiar with the story you tell, it seems to be the one that has gone down in history. Though it is hard to tell, again I wasn't there. Great example of changed history, watch the Bruce Lee story which Linda Lee (widow of Bruce) had great influence over the movie.

curtis Guest

The movie! what a wast.

It should have been called the Linda Lee story,(the girl in that movie was HOT!!!and I am sorry to say the movie was NOT!!!!) thay had a chance to tell the world the real story, and realy blew it!
    that movie could have realy helped to promote the M/A's much like Bruce did 30yrs ago.
    Why dose HollyWood rune all M/A flicks?

C.A.G.

Daedalus Guest

Correction

Maybe "cross training" is not really the best term to use. How about "unbiased training" towards the end of being a better fighter.

Yeah, that sounds better.

It should come as no surprise that Bruce Lee's streetfighting looked alot like wing chun. That was his base art upon which his JKD was founded. And wing chun alone is a formidable fighting system. If that's what works, use it! That's JKD.
    :)

Spectre Guest

JKD

Jeet Kune Do is about taking your system and trimming away what is ineffective and keeping only that which is useful to you. The key being - what is useful to YOU - not anyone else.

In any style, no one is equally proficient at every technique. Some techniques may not be effective due to an individual's stature, build, physical limitations, etc.. So you strip what is not useful to you and keep only that which makes you truly effective.

JKD is NOT about adding more on top of many techniques to give you more options. Think 'Jack of all trades - Master of none'.

Keep it simple, efficient, and practical.

Continued blessings in your life and your training.

The key to understanding is to open your mind and your heart and then the eyes will follow.

apoweyn Guest
    Well, I think we've safely ruled out the mystery being solved. :)

shaolinboxer Guest

Why does no one talk about intercepting

OK, everybody knows JKD is the way of the intercepting fist.

So, I wonder why, when attempting to define JKD, no one includes this basic fundamental concept of interecepting in their evaluation......all technique compliments tha ability to intercept the intent of the opponent.

"She ain't got no muscles in her teeth."
    - Cat

Daedalus Guest

Lyle

This is just my opinion, but I think that the concept of intercepting may have been one of those things that worked for Bruce that don't necessarily work for everyone else.

Jeet Kune Do has become something different. Better or worse? Who's to say?

Good point though. Is it right to still call it JKD if there are no intercepting skills in your art? :confused:

curtis Guest

what is intercepting ?

Lyle great question.
    I believe it's more question of what is intercepting. If you train to perceive motion (to watch and see a person how they build up for strike.) And then move when or before they actually begin . That could be one definition.
    I see it more as traping.
    You go for the strike. If the secondary intercepts your strike, you flow away from the block and trapp the opponent arms. Then you hit him.
    But it could also be the shutting down of striking lines. (Which is also are traping.)
    If you draw an imaginary line from the opponent's hand to your face. And then use your hand (or fist) to intercept that line, you also effectively trapped the opponent ability to strike. ( Is this what you mean? " On intercepting"?) C.A.G.

RAYNYSC Guest

Hey Curtis,

What make's Jun Fan so different from Jeet Kune Do Concepts?.... If they both have the same roots not to mention share many of the same concepts....

Like I said before It all comes down to individual prefrence regaurdless of how you may see it be it Jun Fan or Jeet Kune Do Concepts....

As they are both expressions of what we have come to know as Jeet Kune Do....
    Think about it there are those out there who define Jun Fan as original Jeet Kune Do because Jun Fan is the method of training & fighting developed & handed down by Bruce Lee....

Now keep in mind that Jun Fan is considerard the base/core of Jeet Kune Do as Jun Fan basics prepare you the individual for your own personal way of combat....

So you see its like I said before It all comes down to the individual prefrence of how you see it or come to understand it....

By the way you mentioned that Howard Williams is the leader of the Jun Fan movement & will try to take over Jeet Kune Do as a system & put it back on track if I read you right whats that all about?....

A fighter will block where a master will attack

RAYNYSC

curtis Guest

what makes it work

Hi Ray. I will keep this short,
    to start with Howard Williams, Inside Kungfu mag. did two articals on him, with in the last two years.(look them up,thay are in there arcives.)

Ok if you put the concepts aside, and look at the system its self,jun fan is whingchun based.(ray go back to one of my first articals, I covered the elements of teaching.)
    Remember we are talking about(a man who wanted to the fastest gun in the west)Bruce Lee did not want anyone to beat him, so he started leaveing small elements out,that made the teckniques work,
    Latter He relised he could give everyone what thay wanted,with out worring about someone being able to beat him,he could teach them to do,but not to understand why. In this way it would be much harder for someone to surpass him.(so he could still be the best.)

Now look whats happened, You now have so many MASTERS that only have peices of the puzel, and who can do,but not teach. now thay are forced to eather go in there own direction,or stop all together. in eather way as the generations go on each one looses a little of what makes it Bruces art.

I suggest that you watch as manny of Bruces students,see what thay all have in common,and conpair them. then if you like, find the one with the most peices and then eather you can try to put the puzel together for your self, Or find someone (like Howard)who can show you the way Bruce did it and why, Then maybe you can put the puzel together for your self.
    No matter what you do ,Please remember J.K.D. was never finished.Perhaps with all the peices you can finnish it(for your self)But Bruce will never finish it.

Now back to the concepts.
    J.K.D. is the adavanced, and Jun Fan is the basics,

Now after years of training, I relize the basics,are the foundation, and the adavanced are nothing more than the refining of those basics.

Have a good day. C.A.G.

JKDJay Guest
    I feel that all martial arts schools that fall under any category vary from school to school. what makes jeet kune do JKD in the eyes of a student at school A might be different than the eyes of a student at school B. It boils down to the teachings and personal development.

What makes Jeet Kune Do, Jeet Kune Do?

The discipline of the individual.

RAYNYSC Guest
    I take it that you feel Howard Willams has the most peices of the JKD puzzle,as other masters only have peices of the JKD puzzle,& can do it but can't teach it,unlike Howard who can show you the way Bruce did it & why....
    Hey thats fine everyone is intitled to there own opinion....

Oh & by the way I have seen a number of original Bruce Lee students & none of them are as in depth to me
    ( Meaning as a whole/complete martial artist ) as Sifu/Guro Dan Inosanto when it come to braking down the concepts & principles of JKD Reguardless if you train JF/JKD or JKD Concepts no one comes close.... Not to mention any of the other martial art systems that Sifu/Guro Inosanto teaches.... :D
    Anyhow the way I see it Dan's the man!....

A fighter will block where a master will attack

RAYNYSC