Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Jeet Kune Do

Then I really do find it to redundant to call it Bruce Lee's JKD, it's anyone's concept. A concept that belonged to anyone driven to become a fighter ever since the dawn of man. JKD is then rendered a simple MMA, hehe.

P.S. Laughing Cow, what's your sn on e-budo?
    Milia Macerusk

How about this...?

I don't care what bruce Lee said or wanted!

Does anyone ask what Benjamin Franlin would say about this whole "computer" thing. Maybe this is not what he imagined when he discovered electricity.

Would Edison be ****ed about Halogen bulbs.

I'm sure Alex Bell would be boycotting cell phones?

No one should be "bound" by HOW tecnology started. Advancement and development are crucial.

Demi

www.DemiBarbito.com

Well put

D*mned good post Demi! Couldn't be better said.

-John

That's nice, you're lot of help, thank you for missing the point and overstating the obvious of "freedom of choice." Your opinion most "humbly" accepted. Sigh.... common sense... or lack there of. Oh well. Do me a favor, dont post in this topic, thanks.
    Milia Macerusk

Is this just a terminology-based misunderstanding? The way I learned it, Jun Fan is the particular art that Bruce Lee developed & JKD is the philosophy behind his ecclecticism. So, the manifestation of JKD is up to the individual, but the art of Jun Fan is the fruit of Bruce's own JKD. Something like that?

Jun Fan gung fu is Bruce Lee's method of fighting which evolved from his days in Seattle, Oakland and LA's Chinatown. Jun Fan is Bruce Lee's method of JKD. There are plenty of people around who still teach the authentic Jun Fan, within the OJKD or the JKDC crowd.

Lamar Davis is one person who is into the "original" Jun Fan/JKD method. There are others out there though, it isn't that "rare".

-John

Greetings..

No one "knows" if it's the real deal.. we only know what works, just like Bruce.. trim off the flash, get to the essence.. use whatever works..

Be well..
    TaiChiBob.. "the teacher that is not also a student is neither"

Good post! That's exactly what JKD is supposed to be about! Getting to the essense of what works and dropping what doesn't. This is going to be different for each individual as well.

This is why Lee said to "research our own experience" and to absorb what is useful, etc.

Now, how do you suppose we go about doing our "research"?

For me, that's fairly simple: You SPAR!! Spar with equipment on, go all out and allow all ranges (takedowns and ground-fighting, etc) when sparring. You can then add weapons if you like.

Thoughts?

-John

There's only ONE way to tell:

When attacked by an uncooperative opponent, the moves should WORK.

StickyHands, with all political and philosophical stuff aside, you have asked how you can verfy legitimate JKD instructors.

Here's the simple answer that you're probaby looking for.

Find people with the proper credentials and lineage to the art.

Ryu
    "No judo! NO NO!"

"One who takes pride in shallow knowledge or understanding is like a monkey who delights in adorning itself with garbage."

Attain your highest ability, and continue past it. Emotion becomes movement. Express that which makes you; which guides you. Movement and Mind without hesitation. Physical spirituality...
    This is Jeet Kune Do....

Like................ Ryu himself, I hear.

strike!

Well... That's neither here nor there.

Ryu
    "No judo! NO NO!"

"One who takes pride in shallow knowledge or understanding is like a monkey who delights in adorning itself with garbage."

Attain your highest ability, and continue past it. Emotion becomes movement. Express that which makes you; which guides you. Movement and Mind without hesitation. Physical spirituality...
    This is Jeet Kune Do....

Originally posted by StickyHands
    That's nice, you're lot of help, thank you for missing the point and overstating the obvious of "freedom of choice." Your opinion most "humbly" accepted. Sigh.... common sense... or lack there of. Oh well. Do me a favor, dont post in this topic, thanks.
    StickyHands,

Do the rest of us a favour. Stop responding to any post you don't agree with this way. You're getting responses directly from people with experience in JKD. It may not be the answer you're looking for. But if you came to a discussion forum looking for a specific answer, then I think you're doing it wrong.

If you're looking for a flipping directory of original JKD teachers, just ask for a flipping directory of original JKD teachers. Makes a hell of a lot more sense than telling recognized JKD teachers to not post on your topic.

Stuart B.
    When you assume, you make an ass out of... pretty much just you, really.

strike!

Hello Everyone!

Jun Fan Gung Fu was the art that Bruce Lee taught in the Seattle, Washington kwoon, where he was assisted by Taky Kimura. Jun Fan Gung Fu consists primarily of Wing Chun Gung Fu (probably about 85%-90%) with a few elements from other gung fu systems (10%-15%). Bruce Lee spent five years in Hong Kong learning the Wing Chun system from some of it's best fighters! He chose Wing Chun because of it's raw street effectiveness!

During the Oakland period, Bruce Lee had an encounter with another Chinese martial artist, Wong Jak Man, of the My Jong Law Horn Kuen system of gung fu. Although Bruce Lee won the fight, he was unusually tired and winded when it was over! He felt that it had taken him much too long to get the better of his challenger! This was due to a failure on his part to immediately adjust to the methods of his opponent! This caused him to take more of an interest in physical fitness, as well as closely re examine his art of Jun Fan Gung Fu. He decided that he needed more versatility in his tools and his footwork needed to change to favor more mobility. During this time he composed a letter, saying that he was inventing a new system of fighting that would consist of Wing Chun gung fu, boxing and fencing. This new system was Jeet Kune Do, the "Way of The Intercepting Fist".

During the L. A. Chinatown period, Jeet Kune Do continued to develop. YES, there was a definite curriculum, and YES, the students were required to learn certain things! The kwoon was still called the Jun Fan Gung Fu Institute, but in Dan Inosanto's own words, what was being taught was Jeet Kune Do! Back then, there was no such thing as Jeet Kune Do "concepts", nor did Bruce Lee himself ever use the term "concepts" to describe his method of fighting! All terminology used in Jeet Kune Do was Chinese in Bruce Lee's lifetime, and the instructor was referred to as Sifu!

There is much talk today about Bruce Lee researching other methods of combat. Contrary to a popular way of thinking these days, he was not looking for things to add to his method. He was looking at other arts so that he could develop counters against their best techniques using his Jeet Kune Do! He was well known for using certain students with particular attributes to bring out his own attributes and abilities. He did not care much for teaching, but instead preferred to train himself to higher skill levels!

Much of his writing was geared toward trying to free other martial artists from the bondage and set patterns of what they were "locked" into! The famous "Liberate Yourself From Classical Karate" article was re-written about a dozen or so times before he finally arrived at the version that appeared in the magazine. I have that original magazine! I walked into the newsstand the day it came out and bought it! So as you can see, I've had plenty of time to read, re-read and read it again! I know what it means, and I know exactly where Bruce Lee was coming from with what he was saying! It has become painfully obvious to me that most people still don't have a clue!

One thing that most peole fail to realize is that most of the things that have been published as Bruce Lee's writings are actually just notes that he took from various other publications. This has recently been proven, and has been brought into the light by a book that was written by my good friend Mr. James Bishop! Many people have been shocked when they found out just how much of the material published as Bruce Lee's writings were not actually his at all, but notes taken from other sources! The stuff that has been published as his writings was never intended for publication! Too many people take things out of context based on the importance they place on certain writings! Most of these people are going to feel like idiots when they find all of this out! Most of what was in the Tao of Jeet Kune Do would have never been published had Bruce Lee lived! IT WAS HIS NOTES! NOTHING MORE, NOTHING LESS!

That's why I get so sick and tired of reading all of this philosophical stuff posted on the forums by so many people to try and back up their horribly mis-conceived notions as to what Jeet Kune Do is! Jeet Kune Do is a highly scientific method of self defense, based on highly effective, solid scientific principles that will remain constant from now until the end of time! There is a JKD way to stand (the bai jong position), there is specific JKD footwork and there are specific JKD techniques (punching, striking, kicking, defending, trapping). There is a specific progression to the training! The bottom line is, IF YOU ARE NOT DOING THESE THINGS, THEN YOU ARE NOT DOING JEET KUNE DO! It's just that simple!
    Keep Blasting!
    Sifu Lamar M. Davis II
    Certified Full Instructor
    HARDCORE JEET KUNE DO CHINESE GUNG FU ASSOCIATION
    http://www.HardcoreJKD.com
    Sifu@HardcoreJKD.com

"Hit First, Hit Fast & Hit Hard ....... ALWAYS!"