Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Jeet Kune Do

steve/18/ireland Guest
    is jeet kune do thought in ireland and if so where and is there any books on it what are the best ones i want the titles pleases thanks.

curious Guest

Jeet Kune Do: Not intended to be a first art?

A friend of mine once told me that he once read somewhere that Jeet Kune Do was never intended to be an art to start off with, it was meant to improve upon another art. If a Jeet Kune Do guy with two years of experience were to go up against, say, a kenpo guy with one year of experience, nine times out of ten, the kenpo guy would win. Any thoughts on this?

GinSueDog Guest
    Curious,
    Hmmm...doubtful but it all depends on a number of different factors. I know a friend that teaches Kenpo and I could beat him almost everytime with boxing techniques alone. It doesn't really mean my way of fighting is better but it could mean my training is better or I am just a better fighter, or that boxing is better, you get my point I hope. For the most part when you learn Jun Fan JKD it is going to be what Bruce Lee orginally taught and found to be effective with few add ons or changes since. If you learn JKD Concepts then it is going to be different from instructor to instructor according to what they have found to be true and effective. Jeet Kune Do is first a way of developing oneself to be the most effective fighter you can be. It is not fixed on one system or style, but is open to whatever is effective. When you learn from a "JKD" school you are learning a shortcut of what the instructor has found to be effective for himself. You could goto two different "JKD" schools and learn from two different instructors and have your "JKD" look completely different but be the same if that makes sense. If your friend is studing Kenpo and says he is appling JKD with it that is fine, but how does he know if he is setting Kenpo as a limitation to his development, he doesn't? In essense to sum up JKD in one word I would say it is crosstraining, taking what is most effective and applying it. I hope that makes sense.-ED

------------------
    "The grappling arts imply most fights end up on the ground...take them there. The striking arts imply all fights start standing up...keep them there. The mixed martial arts imply any fight can go anywhere...be ready and able to go everywhere."-a mix martial artist

[This message has been edited by GinSueDog (edited 07-20-2000).]

Chameleon Guest
    I think nine times out of ten the tougher guy would win....It is more about the individual than the art.

A really tough bar brawler with no martial arts experience would beat the average 1 year kenpo guy, or 2 year JKD guy 9 times out of 10, IMO.

As far as which art will make you a better fighter faster, I think it has more to do with individual instructors and how hard they inspire you to train.

DragonzRage Guest
    curious,

That is a tough question because it really depends on what the JKD guy's training is. If you are talking about someone who does Jun Fan (the actual system that Bruce Lee developed) I do not feel that he is at any disadvantage. Jun Fan is a great system. Judging from the generally poor quality of kenpo nowadays, I'd go as far as to say that the Jun Fan guy will usually be at the advantage.

If you are talking about someone who doesn't necessarily study Jun Fan, but practicing under the JKD Concept then it really depends on what his training consists of. Under JKD Concepts the training will vary greatly depending on the instructor and individual tastes. A JKDC guy can practically be anything. In fact, he might even be a kenpo guy! So it really is hard to say.

~Max

DragonzRage Guest
    BTW, I think that the idea of JKD being only good for martial artists with prior experience and skill is a big misconception. The thing is that many JKD Concepts people started out as already experienced martial artists. Usually experienced martial artists are able to appreciate the great value in the JKD philosophy of training more so then those people who don't know anything about MA. That's why so many JKD guys come from other MA backgrounds. But any beginner can jump into the realistic approach of JKD and benefit just as much. Take a guy who doesn't know anything and train him in a realistic, well rounded approach (which is what JKDC usually is) and then put him up against a guy trained purely in some classical style and I'd say the JKDC guy will dominate most of the time.

~Max

Tyger Guest
    I may be wrong, but this is my understanding based on what I've read:

Jun Fan is Bruce Lee's martial art. It was never completed or perfected, but it was his attempt at honing away what was extranious and leaving behind only what was effective and practical. In this way, it is a valid (if incomplete) martial art no better or worse than most others.

JKD, however, is a philosophy. Lee never intended it to be a martial art in and of itself, but rather a way of THINKING about martial arts. Anybody who has a good grounding in a martial art can adopt a JKD way of thinking and thus change their approach.

That's how I understand it anyway. The reason people SAY they study JKD is because people with MA experience adopted the JKD name to their unique style to honnor Lee or to capitolize on his fame.

------------------
    If you want to be great, you have to stop wanting and simply be.

Sean Madigan Guest

Jeet Kune Do T-Shirts & Tank Tops

Hi All,

Here's your chance to get one of the sharpest Jeet Kune Do T-shirts and tank-tops out there. We just started to sell our official school shirts and tanks. These shirts are the exact ones we use at our ‘Backyard Training Group' in New York City. They are top quality black shirts with gold and red print on both the front and back.

For a glimpse at what they look like, click here: http://www.bigjkd.com/park.htm

The shirts come in both Large and Xtra-Large and they sell for only $20 (plus 3.20 shipping).

Just send a check or money order to:

Sean Madigan
    2161 Schenectady Ave.
    Brooklyn, New York 11234

Sean Madigan

Kung Lek Guest
    Sean, that's a nice shirt but I can't buy one. zippy little site ya got there to.

good for you. you got a good spirit man.

peace

------------------
    Kung Lek

Brad Guest

What is Jeet Kune Do?

This might be kind of a silly question considering Bruce Lee is the most well known martial artist of our time, but what is Jeet Kune Do? Is it an actual MA system with techniques, or more of a philosiphy toward martial arts which could be incorparated into my training without giving up on my current style?

Demi @ CSPT Guest
    Bruce Lee wrote that Jeet Kune Do “is not to hurt, but is one of the avenues through which life opens it’s secrets to us.” Lee also wrote “Do not be concerned with escaping safely! Let him smash your flesh, and you fracture his bone. Let him fracture your bone, and you take his life. Lay your life before him.” Can these two statments exsist at the same time within the conceptual framework of JKD? Of course they can. JKD was a vehicle used for self discovery. What is it we are talking about? Is it Bruce Lee's JKD? No, because I don't care what rock you look under or what closet you peek into it's not gonna be there...!!! We are talking about my JKD and your JKD. JKD can't be owned, can't be organized, can't be taught and it can't be sold. JKD is a process, not a product. It is the individuals experience and growth that "is" JKD, that's what gives it life. There is no boss, no one in charge. There are only those who "train" and share thier experience with others. JKD is also about “self preservation” and “best options” in combat. This is where my primary focus is. It’s not all philosophical, when practiced intelligently it produces results. Understand this however, it is what it is... Circle with no circumfrence?!? Repose in the nothing?!? Diluting JKD?!? Adding other arts?!? There is just totality in combat or there is'nt!!!

People say there is only dark or light but Bruce taught us that there are so many shades of gray... There are no limitations... There is no way... There is no JKD...

Even while Bruce was alive there was never a time when he himself could have put
    JKD into a little box and gave it to you as a present... It was always alive and growing just as he was...

Demi Barbito
    The C.S.P.T.
    www.DemiBarbito.com

What Is Jeet Kune Do?

Hello Brad!

For an extremely thorough definition of Jeet Kune Do, go to my Jun Fan Fighting Arts Association website at http://www.jffaa.8m.com and read the section titled, "What Is Jun Fan/Jeet Kune Do?" After reading that, there will be very little doubt in your mind as to exactly what Jeet Kune Do is!

Keep Blasting!
    Sifu Lamar M. Davis II
    JUN FAN/JEET KUNE DO

Daedalus Guest

What is Jeet Kune Do?

Jeet Kune Do (JKD) is whatever you make it. When you reach that point in your martial arts training where you put aside style and systems because you realize that the reality of combat far exceeds system or style. Then you are touching on JKD. JKD is whatever works best for you. It is "using no way, as your way". Not adhering to any one particular style that you might encompass all styles. For alot of good info on JKD you might check out
    http://www.aikia.net

Warhawk Guest
    jeet kune do is a concept not a style, where you throw out all ineffective techniques and keep the good ones.

Andreas Guest

New Jeet Kune Do Instructional tape!!!

To everyone who might be interested:

Howard Williams (recently there were two interviews by him published in the web) offers a new tape about original Oakland JKD performed by him. Everyone who is interested in watching a short clip out of it can send me an email, of course. You will need the newest upgrade of Windows media player to watch it, version 7.
    If you watch it pay attention to Howard's hand speed and control, and how each movement flows into the next.
    The tape lasts 90 minutes, the price will be $ 45.00 Dollar. If you are interested in the tape you can get it from Howard Williams himself.
    Concerning the short clip you can also download it one of the following websites during the next days:

1.) The way of the intercepting fist

2.) Inside Kung Fu interview with Howard Williams