Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Jeet Kune Do

RAYNYSC Guest

By the way......

It would help to train with someone legit in JKD to try & get a better understanding of what it is or isn't.....

RAYNYSC

rogue Guest
    Is Frank Cucci, one of Vu's famous SEAL students, considered legit?

"The bottom line is it shouldn't be about who is right or wrong instead it should be more about what works for you the individual that counts!"
    Correct

"The art of Jeet Kune Do is about an individuals own process (def. A series of actions, changes, or functions bringing about a result) of growth no more no less!..."
    Then JKD is not about "Reality Fighting"?

"It's Goju-Ryu not JKD".
    Right, Ishhinryu is derived from Shorin & Goju styles of karate, but it isn't either of those styles and they're not Isshinryu. So does that mean that Shimabuku was a JKD concepts person? :)

So here's the argument, if a style can not be JKD, then JKD is not a concept(def A general idea derived or inferred from specific instances or occurrences) but a style, if it's a style it can be defined.

So define it.

It can't be 4Ranges "Reality Combat" definition since there are many so-called Reality based arts around now that aren't JKD (SCARS=JKD? :eek: ).

It's not about ranges since many traditional and MMA also train in various ranges and they're not JKD.

What exactly makes something JKD and something else not JKD?

Adventure is just a romantic name for trouble. It sounds swell when you write about it, but it's hell when you meet it face to face in a dark and lonely place.
    Louis L'Amour

4 Ranges Guest
    rogue:

are you interested in visiting our school? if you are, drop me a line. rpg30000@aol.com :D

Never confuse sparring with fighting. One is an exchange of skill; the other an exchange of blood.

Daedalus Guest

1, 2, 3, steps to Jeet Kune Do

Following are some simple guidelines that will speed you on your way to mastering the art of Jeet Kune Do. All you need do is answer a few simple questions and follow a few guidelines.

1. Have you accepted the fact that no-style has an answer/technique/tactic/concept for every possible situation?

2. No-style can be all things to all practicioners.

3. "That which is flexible (adaptable) is always superior to that which is rigid." - Miyamoto Musashii

4. Experience is the best teacher.

If you answered "yes" to question 1 and agree with comments 2,3,&4. Then guess what,..you're a JKD'er. :p

Regardless of what system you practice, deep down you are a JKD practicioner. Its about mindset not technique.

If anyone disagrees with my post, that's great! Based on the writings of Bruce Lee, show me I'm wrong. If you succeed, then we'll both be smarter. :D

DaiKaiju Guest
    QUOTE:"Well for starters if you were studying Goju-Ryu & useing only elements from that style how can you call JKD?.... It's Goju-Ryu not JKD."

Why can it not be called JKD? Isn't JKD based on the individual and not the masses and if the elements always worked for one person then logically his JKD is based on Goju.

QUOTE:"But then again like I said before! If what you're doing works for you. You can call it whatever you want! But that still doesn't make it JKD does it?"

If it works for me then it could be classified as JKD

QUOTE:"The way I see it....
    The art of Jeet Kune Do is about an individuals own process of growth no more no less!...."

Did you come up with this little jem by yourself or did you read it somewhere, instead of using someone elses thoughts come up with something original.

QUOTE:"What exactly is that process?.... Is for the individual to find out for himself...."

So the person used in the example found out by himself that certain elements in said style worked, thus again it is his own personal JKD.

QUOTE:"Who cares where it comes from if you can work it then work it! But don't call it JKD!.... Call it what it is Boxing,Fencing,Wing chun,Judo,Jujitsu,Bjj,Kali,Pentjak Silat,Goju-Ryu, Tae Kwan Do or Shotokan Karate...."

Then step up and admit that you brain surgeons have made JKD into that which Bruce dispised, a style.

QUOTE:"Like I said before very few people get & fewer understand it.... The bottom line is it shouldn't be about who is right or wrong instead it should be more about what works for you the individual that counts!"

And by reading the brainless circular arguement that you post here in shows that you are one of many who DO NOT understand it.
    I love Rogue's last post and agree with it completely.
    :rolleyes:

That which does not kill you will only make you stronger, and if does kill you, then you sucked to begin with!!

rogue Guest
    I agree with you Daedalus. Even among traditional arts people have tweeked them and added to them for centuries. So the concept of JKD has been around for a while.

How many versions of Tai Chi are there? How many styles of Karate or jujitsu. How many southern CMA and northern CMA are there? Someone is always trying to invent the better mouse trap.

PS Are you kempo, JKD(concepts, unlimited or original recipe?) or both?

Adventure is just a romantic name for trouble. It sounds swell when you write about it, but it's hell when you meet it face to face in a dark and lonely place.
    Louis L'Amour

rogue Guest
    DaiKaiju, we'll straighten out these guys yet. :)

Louis L'Amour

Daedalus Guest

rogue

I consider myself to be undefined. I have formally trained in Isshinryu karate, Chinese kempo, TKD, kickboxing, jujitsu, bagua, and Jun Fan/JKD. And although I have gained much knowledge and many valued skills from each of these styles, I do not hold with any particular one.

What I teach my students; however, is kempo,..with alot of other stuff besides. I guess, what I teach is a mixed martial arts system with kempo as a foundation.

rogue Guest
    Sounds like some good stuff D.

For the record, I don't have any problem with JKD, JKD Concepts, JKD Unlimited or whatever variation that's out there, in fact before karate I was a JKD student. But there is a certain kind of JKD student that seem to pop up like weeds that I just love to debate with.

Louis L'Amour

Laine Nakachi Guest

I agree to a point?

I think that Bruce Lee's JKD
    ( Jun Fan Gung Fu ) died with him,but JKD concept is universal.

As for learning the original art from inosanto what would be the point? I think it would be taking a step backward.JKD is far more advanced now.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Daedalus,

You do have a right to your opinion.It's true JKD concept is universal,which I agree with you that JKD concept is universal.

Bruce Lee originally taught Dan Inosanto his JKD.And picked Dan to carry on his art.So therefore Dan would know bruce JKD
    pretty well.Besides,absorb what is useful,reject what is useless,and add what is specifically your own.JKD was also a blending in of techniques from different styles of martial arts.And including the footwork and stances.This is the point I was trying to make.And it's not really going backward,there are times when in order to go forward.You must reflect on going backward,to see how the art was.

Some JKD teachers today are blending system to system.So therefore they are misguided by how JKD is suppose to be.
    I respect JKD alot myself too,but there are other JKD teachers who are making JKD look bad.And ofcoarse,JKD is far more advanced now ,but some JKD teachers don't understand the concepts yet.It's more like Yin / Yang , inorder for us to continue going forward , we must reflect on going backwards.

Then Dan himself had also certified some people to carry on JKD.My good friend was suckered by a want to be JKD teacher.

Take Care,
    Sil Lum Kuen

RAYNYSC Guest

Right!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>You people have committed the very sin that Bruce Lee himself warned you not to commit,you are all caught up with a name. [/quote]

Really the way I see you have some issues there that you may want to address before you start talking all that BS you've poping!.... :eek:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Why can it not be called JKD?
    Isn't JKD based on the individual and not the masses and if the elements always worked for one person then logically his JKD is based on Goju [/quote] RIGHT :D if you say so :rolleyes:

The sad part about this? ....Is it seems that it's you who is caught up with the name JKD.... :p

If the system or style that one is using was Goju then thats what it is Goju where the hell did JKD come from? :confused:

At best I would have to say that what you're doing is Goju with the JKD mindset....

But even saying that would be far from the truth as each system/style or way of fighting has it's own mindset & ways of doing things.... :D

The way I see it, its you who needs to step it up there DaiKaiju & call what ever it is that your doing by it's name no more no less :D

If its JKD then Its JKD,if its Goju then its Goju
    keep it real.... Cut the Bull....

RAYNYSC

rogue Guest
    Fine Ray, then what techniques and philosophy make up JKD?

"If people say that Jeet Kune Do is different from "this" or "that", then let the name of Jeet Kune Do be wiped out, for that is what it is, just a name. Please don't fuss over it."

Sounds like Lee meant JKD to be inclusive instead of exclusive.

Louis L'Amour

Demi @ CSPT Guest

JKD ???

Absorb what is usefull, reject what is useless and add to experience that which is specifically your own.

- Bruce Lee

So then... JKD is:

Absorb - Reject - Add

This is obviously a never ending process.

Demi Barbito
    The CSPT - A Lethal Force Institute
    www.DemiBarbito.com

RAYNYSC Guest
    I really couldn't say....Why don't you ask your new found partner Daikaiju.... :D

RAYNYSC

DaiKaiju Guest

LOL

Raynysc, you could come up with the answer to your own question so you respond with hostility. This show your ignorance in said style. You make a argument and then can't back it up. Why waste your time and everyone elses. Get your facts together before you embarrass yourself again. And here I thought that you knew something about JKD when you acually don't. I admit I have no training in the style but I do not try and speak for it. Hey rogue I think you also hit a sore spot LOL
    :rolleyes:

That which does not kill you will only make you stronger, and if does kill you, then you sucked to begin with!!