Thread: Best Style for strong guy

Exclamation Best Style for strong guy

A friend said to me the other day that Tiger would be the best for me to go with since I'm a bigger, though not fat, and stronger guy.

Thoughts?

learn what's available to you and if you are so inclined to do so.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

second.

see whats around you, if you have an abundance of schools/gyms near you, visit the ones that are most appealing.

Any half decent school will at the very least let you sit in on a class or two, most will encourage you to participate.

Tiger style is a good style however for a strong individual.

Lots of strong stances, upperbody strength required. You will get stand up grappling, striking, nice low kicks.

Tiger will often times put you in very close proximity to your opponent (clinch work training here possibly depending on your school), lots of elbows, and in fighting.

hope it helps.

Also if you are looking for something that strength can be a good factor in during fighting. Try some grappling/wrestling. Judo, BJJ, Shuai Jiao
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Define "Bigger Strong Guy"
    Mark

find a good hung kuen teacher...

You can't just pick a style like your shopping out of a catalog. You can ONLY train in those styles available to you. There are something like 800 different styles of kung fu, do think there are 800 kung fu teacher teaching 800 different styles in every town? FIRST see what is available to you, THEN pick the style that fits you best. And a true "kung fu man" learns what he can where he can, and doesn't turn down good training, because it's not "his style".

- 三和拳

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body" Mao Tse Tsung

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

Quote Originally Posted by Justinrohrman View Post
    A friend said to me the other day that Tiger would be the best for me to go with since I'm a bigger, though not fat, and stronger guy.

Thoughts?
    hop gar is good for strong people...and it can make weak people like the former

-Lucas Thank Youvery much, that helped

-SanHeChuan I understand what you are saying that simply picking a style that you think you are interested in is a luxury not afforded to people.

- To better define big strong guy, Im 6foot, 205lbs. and have done weight lifting for about 9 years now.

Quote Originally Posted by Justinrohrman View Post
    -Lucas Thank Youvery much, that helped

-SanHeChuan I understand what you are saying that simply picking a style that you think you are interested in is a luxury not afforded to people.

- To better define big strong guy, Im 6foot, 205lbs. and have done weight lifting for about 9 years now.

Hmmm...if you are going to learn a CMA, I've seen weighlifter types struggle with flexibility, relaxation and fluidity...but it will be good for you and will increase your options for strike delivery.
    "The true meaning of a given movement in a form is not its application, but rather the unlimited potential of the mind to provide muscular and skeletal support for that movement." Gregory Fong

altho a simple response would be tiger takes an external approach and therefore would seemingly be fit for a physically strong person, ur sifu would (should) determine which style suits u.

weight training would not necessarily hamper ur cma no more than an individual not in decent physical condition... altho in many case the adjustment for bodybuilder types takes a little longer.
    but it all depends on the individual.

fwiw, i lift and train hard with weights and don't have any drawbacks when training cma.
    Last edited by onehawaiian; 10-27-2007 at 06:25 PM.