View Poll Results: So how do you feel about this?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • I’m a TCMA (or TMA) and do not hold Bruce Lee up as a model for TCMA. I do like his movies though.

16 48.48%
  • I’m a TCMA (or TMA) and hold Bruce Lee up as a model for TCMA. I also like his movies.

6 18.18%
  • I’m a TCMA (or TMA) and do not hold Bruce Lee up as a model for TCMA. I also do not like his movies.

9 27.27%
  • I’m a TCMA (or TMA) and hold Bruce Lee up as a model for TCMA. However, I don’t like his movies.

2 6.06%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's with Bruce Lee worship in the TCMA community?

What's with Bruce Lee worship in the TCMA community?

This is something that the more I think about, the more contradictory it sounds. Sure, his movies got legions of people into Kung Fu. Sure, he became a symbol of strength for his ethnicity and transcended that for anyone else looking for it. However, this seems to overshadow what the man said and did in the minds of many TCMA people. Yes, Bruce Lee began his path in Wing Chun, but look at where he ended up. Outside his school, he had a tombstone that read, "in memory of a once fluid man crammed and distorted by the classical mess." I’m not going to post a lot of stuff about where his path took him, but when I hear him speak (and look at how he trained), he seems rabidly against TCMA (or TMA in general) to me. Before I quote Bullshido, let me say that I don’t agree with the analysis on Wing Chun, but there’s a quote about Wing Chun people who hold Bruce Lee on a pedestal that I feel is relevant to this thread. "It'd be like being a fan of Jared from Subway and then taking up competitive eating or liking the comedy of Yakov Smirnov so much you moved to the Soviet Union." I think this can apply to TCMA people in general. Am I the only one who feels this way about Bruce?

I don't like bruce lee, and i never liked his high pitched scream, he inspired the wrong kind people to be interested in kung fu.
    Last edited by bawang; 10-24-2007 at 06:58 AM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Without Bruce Lee CMA would have died decades ago. He arrived when CMA was all about some lousy movies and Bruce gave the CMA credibility.

BTW, WC is the bomb!!!

The Real Original Lucky Louie!
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

I in no way worship the guy. But here is my take:

After a fashion Bruce Lee displays the qualities desired of a fighter in his image that was created through his movies and the media.

It isnt so much the training he has, so much was the fact that he was 1, Chinese (this because the culture draws attention and is often associated)trained in kungfu. regardless of style. and 2, because the martial aspects of his life, and what he left behind after he died, display the keen mind at work of someont desperately working on the puzzle of combat.

Which is the essence of TCMA (keen mind at work of someont desperately working on the puzzle of combat)
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Blog Entries
    As an icon, he gets evaluated based more on his personal background than the philosophical concept he was trying to drive into people's heads (that apparently still doesn't get through some TCMA's heads).

His personal background is that he had his foundations in the Chinese arts. So naturally, TCMA people tend to want to zero in on that.

His philosophical concept was to lose ethnocenticism in martial arts and use whatever works for you from whatever style. Obviously, this doesn't jive so well with the TCMA folks...so it conveniently gets brushed aside, ignoring that he essentially called TCMA a Classical Mess.

The 10 Elements of Choy Lay Fut:
    Kum, Na, Gwa, Sau, Chop, Pow, Kup, Biu, Ding, Jong

The 13 Principles of Taijiquan:
    Ward Off, Roll Back, Press, Push, Pluck, Elbow, Shoulder, Split, Forward, Back, Left, Right, Central Equilibrium

And it doesn't hurt to practice stuff from:
    Mounts, Guards, and Side Mounts!

Austin Kung-Fu Academy

Plus he smoked pot and banged hot actresses. Got to have priorities in life.
    When seconds count the cops are only minutes away!

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Sorry, sometimes I forget you guys have that special secret internal sauce where people throw themselves and you don't have to do anything except collect tuition.

The whole Bruce Lee scene kinda reminds me of a religon that annoys me.

A guy gets on to some good stuff, then he dies. Then his fans and followers never having completed their training come along later and screw it all up for the rest of us.
    "Don't think,
    just train"

Quote Originally Posted by HOKPAIWES View Post
    The whole Bruce Lee scene kinda reminds me of a religon that annoys me.

A guy gets on to some good stuff, then he dies. Then his fans and followers never having completed their training come along later and screw it all up for the rest of us.
    Yeah. It's a good thing, however, that unlike Bruce Lee the other guy came back to finish what he started.

people's response to Bruce is generally irrational.... he's been elevated to a ridiculous level that makes any discussion of him really impossible, if you question the "Church of Bruce" you get mass hysteria and flame wars
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    people's response to Bruce is generally irrational.... he's been elevated to a ridiculous level that makes any discussion of him really impossible, if you question the "Church of Bruce" you get mass hysteria and flame wars
    Even today? I don't know what the current perception is of him...

Ward Off, Roll Back, Press, Push, Pluck, Elbow, Shoulder, Split, Forward, Back, Left, Right, Central Equilibrium

Austin Kung-Fu Academy

Quote Originally Posted by yutyeesam View Post
    Even today? I don't know what the current perception is of him...
    ah, you must have missed that thread
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Blog Entries
    ah, you must have missed that thread
    Uh oh - this sounds like a car wreck...I gotta look!

Austin Kung-Fu Academy

Say what? I doubt any of us would be doing martial arts without Bruce. The Green Hornet, Marlowe and Longstreet put the bug in our ears all the way back in the 60's. I don't think enough good things could be said about Bruce.

The Real Original Lucky Louie!
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    Believe me if Bruce hadn't of done it someone would have came along eventually and done it. World became to small for things to hide. I wouldn't elevate him on a platform that high. He did what eventually would have been done.

Bruce has done more for martial arts than everyone on this forum combined.