Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yanfan (Franco Testini)

Hybrid View

Yanfan (Franco Testini)

Is YanFei from the new issue the same dude...

who used to have that website angrymonk.com or madmonk.com or furiousmonk.com...something like that?

I know that dude was in L.A.
    Last edited by MasterKiller; 10-25-2007 at 03:35 PM.

You mean Yanfan?

There are three Yanfeis mentioned in The Gold Mountain Monks: 38 Shaolin Immigrants to the San Francisco Bay Area By Chen Xinghua and Gigi Oh in Shaolin Special 2007B. But I'm guessing that you mean Yanfan from The First American Branded at Shaolin Temple By Melissa Leon-Guerrero Do. I'm not sure if it's the same guy. I was kind of hoping one of you out there could confirm this or not.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    There are three Yanfeis mentioned in The Gold Mountain Monks: 38 Shaolin Immigrants to the San Francisco Bay Area By Chen Xinghua and Gigi Oh in Shaolin Special 2007B. But I'm guessing that you mean Yanfan from The First American Branded at Shaolin Temple By Melissa Leon-Guerrero Do. I'm not sure if it's the same guy. I was kind of hoping one of you out there could confirm this or not.
    Yeah, the white dude. I tried to find that website on waybackmachine, but I must have the URL wrong. I could have sworn it was furiousmonk.com.

Yanfan

Yanfan's website is www.shaolintemplela.com. I still don't know if he was the furiousmonk or petulantmonk or tizzymonk or whatever. All you white guys look alike to me.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

he looks like... is he that guy from bulgaria?

he was teaching after spending 9 months in shaolin. i saw some videos of his. not to hate, but not too impressive for being a shifu. he was out of breath for a long period after just a couple minutes of easy forms. but 9 months isnt very long. kind of confusing.

is that him?

I don't think so...

...but all you white guys look alike to me. Just kidding.

Yanfan (Franco Testini) is Italian. I'm not sure who the Bulgarian guy is that you speak of...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

love the robes

I've never heard of that guy in those vids. But Shaolin is so vast now that there are legions of people involved that I've never heard of. It's impossible to stay on top of it all anymore.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

The First Western Shaolin Monk - Shi Yan Fan

A link to a new documentary in the works about Shi Yan Fan the only Western (or non-Chinese) Shaolin Warrior Monk to be ordained into the tradition (the Jieba Ceremony).

http://www.siron.tv/landing/index.ph...d=48&Itemid=54

If anyone knows anything more about Shifu Shi Yan Fan aka Franco Testini, please post here...

Gene, all you guys who look like Ming the Merciless look alike to me with your long hair and beards and mustaches.

I can only tell you apart by your hair colour!
    Kung Fu is good for you.

More on Testini

Karate Kid has been good for coattailing.
    Shaolin Temple's real kick is inner peace
    Closely aligned with the temple in China, the shrine in Sherman Oaks focuses on philosophy and meditation.
    BELIEFS
    June 19, 2010|By Ann M. Simmons, Los Angeles Times
    * Mel Melcon, Los Angeles Times

China's world-famous Shaolin Temple gained prominence among many Americans with the release of the 1980s martial arts movie of the same name. An updated version of the film, loved by fans for the riveting kung fu stunts of the temple's legendary fighting monks, is in the works. And in recent weeks, Hollywood's remake of "The Karate Kid" has topped the box office, wowing audiences with its seemingly magical martial arts techniques.

But while kung fu continues to make a splash on the big screen, members of the Shaolin Buddhist Temple in Sherman Oaks are keen to spread a different message about the Shaolin culture and what their sanctuary has to offer.

"When people come here, it's not just about martial arts," said the temple's master, Italian-born Franco Testini, 43, whose Buddhist name, Shifu Shi Yan Fan, was given to him by the abbot of the Shaolin Temple in China.

"Hollywood has completely exaggerated the martial arts scene," added Cindy Truong, 32, a temple volunteer and event coordinator. "It's not all about Chinese people being thrown over chairs. The martial arts you see in the movies, that's Americanized. It's a very small part of Shaolin culture."

Situated on a busy stretch of Ventura Boulevard, the temple opened in 2008 and offers a tranquil escape from the world outside. Instruction focuses on Buddhist philosophy and meditation, the art of ancient Chinese tea ceremonies, a combination of stretching and breathing exercises known as chi gong, tai chi — and, of course, martial arts.

"But we don't train people to punch and kick," said Truong. "We train people to become strong internally, and that emanates externally. We try to educate people, that it's more than just fighting and fancy moves."

Testini stressed the link between breathing, listening and learning as a key to developing harmony between the mind and body.

Although there are several Shaolin schools in Los Angeles, only the Sherman Oaks shrine is listed on the official website of China's Shaolin Temple, where it is described as "the first official branch organization in North America."

What makes the Sherman Oaks temple even more unusual is Testini, its master.

In 2007, Testini became the first Westerner to be accepted into the elite of the 1,500-year-old Shaolin Temple in eastern central China, his supporters said. In an ancient ritual, he received the Buddhist brand marks that symbolize his high status in Shaolin culture, they added.

Articles in Chinese news media and American martial arts magazines publicized the honor bestowed on Testini, whose journey to monkhood began when he was a youngster in his hometown of Brindisi, an Italian port city.

Testini was 7 when he started taking martial arts lessons, he said. At 9, he began to compete. By his teens, he had won numerous competitions. And at age 21, he entered the monastery and eventually took vows to become a monk. His study at home was complemented by numerous trips to China's Shaolin Temple, to solidify his discipline and faith.
    Advertisement

In 1994, Testini arrived in the United States. He didn't speak English and he was homeless for the first several months, sleeping on the beach or in abandoned cars. He traded martial arts instruction for food and soon developed a following of students and friends, who eventually found him permanent shelter. And in 2008, his students helped him lease a former furniture store that became the Sherman Oaks temple.

For Testini, his good fortune wasn't the result of luck but of his unwavering conviction that "everything is within reach."

It's a message he preaches daily, over tea, to the more than 50 people who have become members of the temple.

"You have to learn to believe in yourself," said the monk, who still struggles to tackle some English words and grammar.

On a recent morning, about a dozen students gathered in the shrine's small hall, decorated with Chinese murals and ornate golden figurines, to practice chi gong. Testini drifted among the participants, gently adjusting their positions.

"He can feel your aura and energy, your intensity and anxiety level," said Truong, as she observed what has become a familiar ritual. "Just by looking at a person's facial expression, he can see what kind of stress they have inside."

The breathing exercises and positive thinking Testini teaches help to relieve that stress, said Gene Cantamessa, who attends the temple five days a week.

Cantamessa, who said he is "pushing 70," is among the temple's longtime members, whose ages range from 2 to 80. Some are novices to the exercises and meditation; others have years of experience. Several work in the film industry and use the Sherman Oaks shrine to escape from the Hollywood hustle.

"I find the meditation very good," said Cantamessa, a retired production sound mixer. "I like the experience of concentrating … the peace of mind. I feel like a different person when I'm in here."

"You find a sense of inner calm," actor Adrian Paul, 50, said of his frequent attendance at the temple. "It allows you to enter another world, which centers you. Shaolin is what ballet is to dance. It's the foundation that gives you the ability to do what you want to do, better."

Rosie DiPrima said she got interested in the temple after observing her children, aged 7 and 10, participate in a martial arts class.

"After a week of watching, I started participating," said DiPrima, 37, a movie industry chef. "It's completely changed my life."
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

"Although there are several Shaolin schools in Los Angeles, only the Sherman Oaks shrine is listed on the official website of China's Shaolin Temple, where it is described as 'the first official branch organization in North America.'"

um, no.

http://www.shaolin.org.cn/templates/...spx?nodeid=572

The Sherman Oaks school is not affiliated with Songshan.

As for Shi Yan Fan, his performance starts about 1:05, judge for yourselves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPuDYBhhgFI

The jieba ceremony does not an ordination make.

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    "Although there are several Shaolin schools in Los Angeles, only the Sherman Oaks shrine is listed on the official website of China's Shaolin Temple, where it is described as 'the first official branch organization in North America.'"

um, no.

http://www.shaolin.org.cn/templates/...spx?nodeid=572
    Shaolin Temple Cultural Center LA is listed in the "overseas cultural center" section.

The Sherman Oaks school is not affiliated with Songshan.
    Shaolin Temple Los Angeles is listed in the "sub-temples" section.

http://www.shaolin.org.cn/templates/...spx?nodeid=326

http://www.shaolin.org.cn/templates/...contentid=2082

The jieba ceremony does not an ordination make.
    Not in itself, but what are you trying to say?

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    "Hollywood has completely exaggerated the martial arts scene," added Cindy Truong, 32, a temple volunteer and event coordinator. "It's not all about Chinese people being thrown over chairs. The martial arts you see in the movies, that's Americanized. It's a very small part of Shaolin culture."
    Martial arts is a very small part of Shaolin culture she says...really? Has she ever seen the vids of mass training going on in and around Shaolin?

L.A. Weekly feature

Shaolin Warrior Monk Shi Yan Fan Operates From an L.A. Storefront
    By Gendy Alimurung Thu., Sep. 29 2011 at 9:13 AM

Simon Paz
    Master Shi Yan Fan, Shaolin Warrior Monk
    ​The Shaolin temple in China is 1,500 years old and one of the nation's most ancient sacred treasures, the source of all martial arts. The Shaolin temple in Los Angeles is 3 years old and is located in a Sherman Oaks storefront next to a pet store. It is, however, no less sacred to those who seek refuge here from the modern world. Here, the warrior monk known as master Shi Yan Fan, or "Powerful Sky," teaches Zen Buddhism and Shaolin kung fu. "Shaolin means young forest. Shao for young. Lin for trees. It means you can live forever," he'll say to those who wander in.

The temple wasn't always there, at least not in the physical sense. When the master first came to Los Angeles from China, he would train students in community centers, gyms, parks and forests. Eventually, the students got tired of carrying their weapons everywhere. They opened the temple, donating its rent, furnishings and upkeep.

Master Shi Yan Fan wasn't always a kung fu master. Actually, he wasn't always Shi Yan Fan. For all of his youth he was Italian-born Franco Testini. Though he has trained his entire life, only recently did he become an official Shaolin warrior monk, the first to do so in 300 years. He was branded on the head with nine incense sticks for five minutes. The last two minutes, when the incense burns through your skin, he says, "are very painful."

The ceremony was performed in 2007 at the Shaolin Temple in China when the Chinese government lifted its centuries-old ban on the practice. There was much fanfare. Preparations lasted a month. There were arduous training sessions and equally arduous lectures. Knees and foreheads became bruised from bowing for five hours a day. Some monks fainted from exhaustion. In the end, 100 monks were scheduled to receive the burn marks, but only 43 went through with it. "They got scared," Testini shrugs.

Testini has given his life to Shaolin. His mission is to share it with as many people as he can, and by share he means teach them compassion (a noble endeavor), to exercise every day (preaching to the choir) and to be happy without material possessions (good luck with that).

Testini speaks quickly and with a thick Italian accent. His assistant, Cindy, occasionally serves as unofficial interpreter. She also has given her life to Shaolin and, by extension, to her master, or as she calls him in Chinese, shifu. Training in Shaolin, the master taught her, isn't about tournaments and color belt systems and trophies. It's about learning to be Zen. It is daily exercise turned into martial arts.

"This was the first dojo I'd seen that wasn't about competition," Cindy says. "It was about longevity." Her long black hair is pulled back into a ponytail. Like her master, she has a round, pleasant face. "Before I came here, I had three jobs," she says. "All I wanted to do was make money. The more I lived like that, the harder it was. I was working so hard to pay for the things I never used because I was always working." Wanting less made life easier, she says.

She gave up bartending. She gave up her apartment. She moved in with her sister and gave up all her worldly possessions -- except for her car. (This is L.A. Cindy is Buddhist, not insane.)

Now she takes care of Testini's meetings calendar, coordinates his trips overseas, cleans and organizes. She volunteers and is not paid. This might seem unfair, but she views the arrangement as a worthy trade for peace and enlightenment. It is a symbiotic relationship. The master takes care of his students' spiritual sustenance and the students take care of his physical requirements. Every day, for instance, they bring him food. "It's our way of showing respect," Cindy says. "If you want something from the master, you need to give something. He doesn't have a car or an iPod. But he still needs money to pay for razors to shave his head."

When the warrior monk was a child growing up in Brindisi, a small port town in Southern Italy, his dad wanted to teach him to become a boxer "because my father is famous Italian boxer," he says. Testini was derailed from that career by age 7, when he found a booklet containing illustrations of a Shaolin monk moving like an animal. The monk in the booklet would move like a tiger or a dragon, say, and text at the bottom of the illustration explained what benefit such movement confers. The master can't remember now where he found the booklet, only that he carried it around with him everywhere: to the fields while tending his family's flock of sheep, to class -- when he'd go, that is. He would distract the other kids with it, to his teacher's everlasting consternation.

"The spirit of children this age ... lot of energy, lot of chi," he recalls with a smile and a shake of the head. He was, he says, an "agitated" child. Agitated?

"What's the word," says Cindy. "It starts with an M. He was mischievous."

His classmates refused to believe that he was a shepherd, for example. So one day, as proof, he brought in a live sheep. "It started to eat book," he recalls.

It wasn't until a cousin introduced him to a Shaolin monk that Testini's mischievous energy finally found an outlet. The cousin had a job delivering fresh milk and cheese to a nearby U.S. military base, where a Korean monk was teaching the troops self-defense. Under that monk's tutelage, Testini began to study martial arts and "started to create the energy."

Testini went to Korea to train. From there he went to China. Years passed. His skills grew. In China he was inducted into the Shaolin Temple at Song Han Mountain in Henan province, where the abbot renamed him Powerful Sky.

"Hollywood has blown this whole kung fu thing out of proportion," Cindy says. "People like to see monks kicking and punching. There are monks who leave the temple and go to Hollywood. They say they want to be Jet Li or Jackie Chan. This is against the rules."

Testini could have sold out to Hollywood, but instead he "spends years and years, suffering day by day" to understand Qigong, the system for cultivating and manipulating the vital force within all living beings. Qigong makes you able to break iron bars over your head and bricks with your bare hand, he explains.

"I break many rocks and stick over years in my head and with my body because I save my chi."
    "You see him bending an iron rebar with his throat," Cindy says. She slips a DVD into the player and a documentary springs to life on the TV. The footage shows him outside on Ventura Boulevard pushing a car with an iron bar pinned against his windpipe. "Without the concentration, that could easily pierce his throat."

The master's cellphone beeps from somewhere deep inside his robes and he steps out to answer it. He has the abbot on speed dial.

Every day is the same. Testini wakes at 5 a.m., exercises for an hour, takes a cold shower. Then he performs a tea ceremony, goes to the temple to cultivate students at Dharma, then a bit of meditation, chanting and paying respect to Buddha. He contemplates philosophy, then teaches martial arts, including endurance, twisting, jumping and "how to make a fist." Then lunch. Then kids come in to train, then teenagers, then adults.

"Sometimes we forget we are human being," the master says. "We have heart, blood, ligament."

People come in to remember. They disappear back into the world, re-energized.
    Woah...I need money to pay for razors to shave my head...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by shaolinseeker11 View Post
    Shi Yan Fan the only Western (or non-Chinese) Shaolin Warrior Monk to be ordained into the tradition (the Jieba Ceremony).
    Ahahah, Never trust anyone who says that. I know at least 12 people personally who make that claim and another load I have heard of. Hell I've done the whole ceremony several times, with monks who were in Shaolin in the 60's and 70's and consider themselves above the authority of the new abbott when it comes to shaolin lineage (something most old/good masters agree on). I had to do it just to train with one of them....

Ni bu neng chi roe, neng chi bao? Neng Chiiiiiiiiiiii.

The only western guy who can claim that he is a shaolin monk is a guy called Shan Li who has been here in shaolin 13 years, and has actually left home and lives the ascetic lifestyle. But he doesn't claim to be a shaolin monk. Its a really Douchebag thing to do.