Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Yanfan (Franco Testini)

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Anyone with even a cursory knowledge of shaolin traditions knows that the Shaolin Grand Pubas receive the jie ba on their ass cheeks.

Pictures or it didn't happen.
    yeah, and now they come in the pattern of a $ sign, just so you know it's all about the money!

No, no, no, it's all about training hard so you get to be the bearer of the blue fur hat.

Pictures or it didn't happen.

wenshu, you're going the wrong direction with that post. Do not bait sha0lin1 into posting pics of his cheeks.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

That is right, you just might get what you asked for.

Some notes on Shi Yan Fan:
    I was recently introduced to Shi Yan Fan and my initial impression was that of a humble, sincerer practitioner.

Impressed by his warmth and openness I began to attend their daily morning meditation and prayer.

It was very refreshing for a change to follow along and just soak up the lesson rather than "being the lesson". I went there with no expectation and found my self delighted by a sense of centered, peaceful wellbeing after each experience.

The class begins with an extended "dharma walk" followed by about 30 minutes of seated meditation, followed by chi gung in eight sequences (Yi Gin Ching or Baduan Jin) after which I felt reborn.

They have a lot of RULES there and his assistants began to constantly correct me. I find that they are so steeped in protocol and ceremony that I get the feeling of being constantly on the verge of "offending the family and the Shaolin temple." Such a long list of rules about "what to say" and "what not to say" it seriously reeks of catching a series of stern looks from your Grand Ma and who the hell wants or needs to feel uncomfortable while pursuing a form of self cultivation? I took a break a few times in an attempt to gain new perspective but the more familiar I've become the more free came various valid yet pettily annoying corrections and criticism.

Would it were I were younger and less informed?

I ended with the feeling that for all of the potential benefit I might gain from consistent attendance there, those benefits would be completely offset by my level of discomfort attempting to adhere to their rules and regulation sets.
    The school is great, I need some work.....
    To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders.
    -Patanjali Samadhi

"Not engaging in ignorance is wisdom."
    ~ Bodhi

Never miss a good chance to shut up

More on Yanfan

Stacey Nemour
    Stacey Nemour is a black belt in Kung Fu, and a highly respected martial artist
    Posted: March 17, 2011 02:44 PM
    Should Shaolin Monks Be Asian? Just Ask Abbot Shi Yan Fan of Shaolin Temple Los Angeles

Should Shaolin monks only be Asian? Can a Westerner ascend to the exalted level of an abbot? Venerable Abbot Shi Yan Fan of Shaolin Temple Los Angeles can answer that. He became the first of only 43 monks in the world to receive the ancient Jieba branding marks at Shaolin Temple, China in 2007, and he is Italian!

Born in Brindisi, Italy, Franco Testini began his study of martial arts at the age of seven. He explains that when he was young, Shaolin training was a secret in the communist-dominated country. Franco loved action, and when his older brother gave him an old sketch manual about Shaolin Qi Energy, he realized that he had in his possession something special. Coming from a poor family of 10, Franco challenged other children in the neighborhood to martial arts contests in order to bring money and food home to help support the family. He was a natural, and winning competitions came easily.

The manual was filled with simple Chinese brush sketches of martial arts stances and movements. It promised that by practicing this discipline, you could gain strength, learn self-defense, have longevity, develop healing powers and even become super-human. Fascinated by the book, he took it everywhere with him and constantly studied the movements. The book explained that the process starts through connecting with nature. This was the perfect opportunity for Franco to apply the philosophy of nature to his everyday life, for at the time he was a young shepherd on his cousin's farm. From sunrise to sunset, Franco spent his day in the mountains with a flock of about 200 sheep. As the sheep grazed, Franco mimicked the movements in the book, teaching himself the basics of martial arts. Even though the book was written in Italian, Franco was still unsure what the captions under the sketches meant. It was his cousin who explained to him that the basic principle was that with this training, a human being is capable of powerful and amazing things.

After two years of practicing from the book, Franco began to feel more strength, both mentally and physically. During that time Franco and his cousin would also visit the nearby military base to give fresh cheeses and milk to the soldiers. That was when he was first introduced to a martial monk named Kim Wong Feng from Chi Ri temple in South Korea. Kim Wong Feng saw great potential in Franco and accepted him as his student, thus beginning his official martial arts training at age nine.

Franco dedicated much of his time training with his master. Eventually, he left home to begin competing in tournaments. By the age of 19, Franco had won many titles but also became aware of the emptiness of the senseless fighting. He noticed that many bets were placed on him to win fights, but he never saw any of the winnings that he fought for. Franco realized that this was not the lifestyle that he envisioned. With so much anger and resentment he harbored inside, his master guided him to enter the gates of Chi Ri temple to change his life. After two years and three months of living a monastic life in South Korea, Franco was alerted of his father's deteriorating health. One month after Franco left the temple to go back to Italy, his father passed away.

After a few years of trying to reestablish his life in Italy, he decided to set out on an adventure to America. In 1994 Franco came to Los Angeles to spread Buddhism and the practice of Shaolin medicine. He arrived with faith and excitement over his unfolding adventure the day after the Northridge earthquake. He had no money, no contacts, no transportation and spoke no English. He slept in abandoned cars, on the floor close to a gas station and even on the sands of Redondo Beach. Franco would continue to train every day, and passersby would stop to watch him. People stood entranced just watching his body flow with power and elegance. He welcomed everyone to join him, and eventually people started to give him donations for the training. Slowly, his clientele grew. Soon Franco and his students started training in various parks, community centers and dance studios.

By 2004 Franco went to pay his respects to the temple in China and trained with the monks. Abbot Shi Yongxin was so pleased with Franco's dedication and history that the following year, the monks arranged a ceremony for Franco to become a disciple of the abbot and officially named him Shi Yan Fan, which means "Powerful Sky." Shi Yan Fan also received official permission from the abbot to open Shaolin Temple Los Angeles. He chose Ventura Boulevard in Sherman Oaks because Ventura, translated from Italian, means "adventure," and that is how he has viewed his entire life journey.

Then, in 2007, the Chinese government allowed the partial lifting of a 300-year-old ban of an ancient ceremony at the Northern Shaolin Temple. Shi Yan Fan was requested by the Chinese government to participate in the ancient, one-month-long ceremony.

Out of 800 monks who attended the ceremony, only 100 monks were schedule to receive "Jieba," a ritual that is extremely painful because nine sticks of incense are affixed to the top of the head with a paste. Then they light the incense and let it burn for five minutes. The last two minutes are the most excruciating because the fire burns down into the scalp. Each of the resulting burn marks represents one of the fundamental rules of conduct: remain celibate, don't lie, don't steal, don't drink, don't use drugs, don't eat meat, don't kill animals, and don't judge others. Some of the monks fainted, while others cried or ran out trying to leave because they could not go through with the Jieba. Out of the 100 monks chosen to receive the marks, only 43 actually went on to being branded. Shi Yan Fan was chosen by the abbot to be the first monk branded in the ceremony. Not only was he the first to be branded in 300 years, but he was also the first non-Asian to receive this honor at Shaolin Temple. Abbot Shi Yongxin wanted to open its gates to the rest of the world by showing that race does not matter and that Shaolin is for all to receive its unlimited benefits.

Now back in Sherman Oaks, Calif. Shifu Shi Yan Fan continues to spread the message of Shaolin and Chan Buddhism. Shaolin Temple Los Angeles welcomes all ages, nationalities, athletic abilities and genders. Shifu Shi Yan Fan and his students all helped build the temple from the ground up. Volunteers donated their time and talents to help replicate the ancient warrior paintings from the walls of the original Shaolin Temple in China. A Buddha alter was also built to pay respects to the ancient culture. Shaolin Temple Los Angeles offers more than just martial arts training. Every day they Dharma walk for meditation as the monks do in China. Authentic forms of Qi Gong and Tai Chi are also offered, as well as traditional Shaolin tea and philosophy sessions. Shifu Yan Fan wanted a place where people can train and get a small taste of what the 1,500-year-old Shaolin Temple is like.

Currently, Shifu Shi Yan Fan and the members of Shaolin Temple Los Angeles are looking to expand its facility and erect a replica of the famous Shaolin Temple on a grander scale. Abbot Shi Yongxin has approved the project. Shifu Shi Yan Fan envisions it as becoming a majestic Los Angeles landmark for travelers all over the world to visit. It will be built up in the hills of Los Angeles above Ventura Boulevard.

Shi Yan Fan's life mission now is to continue to spread the teachings of Shaolin. He has stressed to me the importance of maintaining the integrity and ancient traditions of Shaolin by teaching his students every aspect: Meditation, Qi Gong, Tai Chi, martial arts, tea and philosophy, Chan Buddhism and much more.

There is also a biopic in development on Shi Yan Fan's life story, with the working title "Heart of Shaolin."
    Author Stacey Nemour is featured Stretching for Any Age By Greg Lynch Jr. in our March/April 2011 issue. We just posted a video that accompanies this article - see Stretching with Stacey Nemour
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Author Stacey Nemour is featured Stretching for Any Age By Greg Lynch Jr. in our March/April 2011 issue. We just posted a video that accompanies this article - see Stretching with Stacey Nemour
    I went to the opening of this small dojo and I had the impression this guy didn't speak Mandarin chinese (putonghua) or a dialect (fangyan) so how did he learn, sign language?

go figure!!

i saw his youtube video promotion, the guy do forms ok but his students are horrible
    Last edited by bawang; 03-18-2011 at 05:59 AM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Stacey Nemour is a black belt in Kung Fu
    i are have confuse
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    This is not a veiled request for compliments

The short story is I did 325# for one set of 1 rep.

1) Does this sound gifted, or just lucky?

See our latest e-zine article

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Wildwoo is offline 苦練在最熱的天,夏季和冬季最寒冷的日子 !
    i are have confuse
    Brother for a self professed student of Shaolin you come off very negatively combative in many of your postings here

1. Right understanding ?
    2. Right intention ?
    3. Right speech ?
    4. Right action ?
    5. Right livelihood ?
    6. Right effort ?
    7. Right mindfulness?
    8. Right concentration?
    9. Superior right knowledge?
    10. Superior right liberation?

I've had the chance to meet Shi Yan Fan an I found him to be a very pure spirit embodying the above principles of the eight fold path of righteousness. I've seen "shaolin monks" that have stronger performance in their forms than he displays yet have not on tenth of his spiritual wherewithal. He is a good sincerer teacher with a deep knowledge of Chi Gongs, combat application, Shaolin spiritual rituals and practices.

I probably should not mention this here but I happened to be at his school on a day when Shi Yan Xu and couple of other "shaolin monks" paid a social call all the while behaving like gangsters wearing robes of "monks". I observed them behaving disrespectfully arrogant, condescending and at time physically intimidating
    Shi Yan Fan never rose to any of it. I found it to be an interesting comparative analysis of who learned what during their time at Shaolin disneyland LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Wildwoo View Post
    Brother for a self professed student of Shaolin you come off very negatively combative in many of your postings here
    Fair enough. I am a buddhist. I never said I wasn't an a$$hole. Oftentimes to myself!

1. Right understanding ?
    2. Right intention ?
    3. Right speech ?
    4. Right action ?
    5. Right livelihood ?
    6. Right effort ?
    7. Right mindfulness?
    8. Right concentration?
    9. Superior right knowledge?
    10. Superior right liberation?
    Whereas your position of righteous moral indignation is not in any way a reflection of your own ego?

I've had the chance to meet Shi Yan Fan an I found him to be a very pure spirit embodying the above principles of the eight fold path of righteousness. I've seen "shaolin monks" that have stronger performance in their forms than he displays yet have not on tenth of his spiritual wherewithal. He is a good sincerer teacher with a deep knowledge of Chi Gongs, combat application, Shaolin spiritual rituals and practices.

I probably should not mention this here but I happened to be at his school on a day when Shi Yan Xu and couple of other "shaolin monks" paid a social call all the while behaving like gangsters wearing robes of "monks". I observed them behaving disrespectfully arrogant, condescending and at time physically intimidating
    Shi Yan Fan never rose to any of it. I found it to be an interesting comparative analysis of who learned what during their time at Shaolin disneyland LOL!
    So?

Do you have anything more substantive than your own moral certitude, arbitrary definitions of spirituality and codes of conduct?

No?

Ok, then I am going to go back to being diplomatic about this nonsense.

Speaking of which, I was expressing confusion about what exactly a black belt in kung fu is. Next time please have the common courtesy to quote something actually pertinent to the topic you intend to scold someone about.
    Last edited by wenshu; 05-28-2011 at 10:13 AM.

shi yan fan is not better or worse than other shaolin athletes. they all perform and teach the exact same sh1t, with exactly the same students. flipping around with tinfoil swords and playing cheesy music.
    Last edited by bawang; 05-28-2011 at 12:10 PM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

The music, oh god the music.

I'm so embarrassed for myself sometimes.

Wildwoo is offline 苦練在最熱的天,夏季和冬季最寒冷的日子 !
    He he he he! I do not follow any of these codes I'm not a buddhist and I have a massive ego which I attempt not to parade here

Fair enough. I am a buddhist. I never said I wasn't an a$$hole. Oftentimes to myself!

Whereas your position of righteous moral indignation is not in any way a reflection of your own ego?

So?

Do you have anything more substantive than your own moral certitude, arbitrary definitions of spirituality and codes of conduct?

No?

Ok, then I am going to go back to being diplomatic about this nonsense.

Speaking of which, I was expressing confusion about what exactly a black belt in kung fu is. Next time please have the common courtesy to quote something actually pertinent to the topic you intend to scold someone about.