Thread: lan jie.....jeet kuen??

lan jie.....jeet kuen??

Greetings all

I have just learnt 'jeet kuen/intercepting fist' and i was looking for some vids to check up on a few things. I thought the mandarin name was Lan Jie but all the results under this show a completely different form to what i learnt.

I then came across a chin woo form thats pretty much the same as what I learnt (my lineage is LKW...)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRCd5PNB2zY

so what the hell is 'Lan Jie'???

cheers

craig

Jeet Kuen is Jie Chuan

Dear Craig,
    The mandarin for Jeet Kuen is Jie Chuan which does mean intercepting fist. It was taught to me when I was learning Tai Chi Mantis but it is a Jing Wu Hand Form.
    Lan Jie Chuan Means Intercepting and Deflecting Fist and it is an advanced form in many Northern Praying Mantis systems. It is a completely different form from Jie Chuan/Jeet Kuen. Lan Jie is one of the three core mantis forms along with Bung Bu: Crushing Step and Bah Zhao: Eight Elbows.
    I know that many different systems have adopted this form, Ying Jow Pai: Northern Eagle Claw, a number of schools of northern mantis, and I have even seen a Hung Gar school perform this set.
    I hope this helps.
    Sincerely,
    Steve

P.S. If you do not mind me asking, what type of kung fu do you study?

Hi Craig,

(Message on YouTube failed, so here is my response instead):

the Jie Quan or Jit/Jeet Kuen is the Ching Wu set. It is not translated as intercepting but more than "chainlink" Fist.

The Lan Jie Quan is now a closed door students set in the Lee Kam Wing Lineage. Firstly taught last year to a bunch of students of Sifu Lee.

Greets Jochen
    If you can´t change the world - change yourself!
    And if you can´t change yourself: change YOUR world!
    ---
    My YouTube Site

cheers jochen (and no worries it got to me on youtube)

So has this always been taught as a closed door set in the LKW lineage. Is this common throughout mantis schools?

craig

No.
    Like GungLihChuan said: in other Mantis Families it is taught as one of the core forms.
    This set is been taught for the first time in the LKW Lineage last year. Quite surprising ...
    If you can´t change the world - change yourself!
    And if you can´t change yourself: change YOUR world!
    ---
    My YouTube Site

thanks for the clarification

yes somewhat surprising seen as it was one of the forms created by the founder of the style.....strange...

craig

I can not speak for other QXTL families, but in the LGY QXTL system Lan Jie was never a part of the curriculum. Lan Jie originally comes from the MHTL system.

On a side note, forms like Gong Li Quan and Jie Quan came from the Shaolin Er Lang Men system that was taught at the SH Chin Woo. Completely unrelated to Mantis altogether.

Regards,
    Nate

Nate:

I thought that Jiequan is a Mizong Set.

Tan Tui was simplified by Chao Lin Ho

gongliquan and Sieluquan are from the Er Lang Men There was also a Er Lang Quan set taught as well. I presume it came from the same style.

From (ba bu) 8step's founder Chiang Hua Long who came from Mei Hua background
    intercept (Lan Jie) is taught openly as our 5th set in the begginers level.

Interesting how some families call it advanced, and some intermedidate while other families it is still considered basic.
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

Ngofei - Absolutley no reason why it couldnt also be a Mizong set.

Earth Dragon - I think when some of these guys talk about advanced vs begginer, they mean something that is taught later as opposed to sooner.

Nate
    Last edited by Qixing Tanglang; 11-03-2007 at 10:36 AM.