Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: WAY OT: can someone translate this?

Melissa says the beginning is

"Luke and Fefe in Punket Dive."

She said the rest is too garbled, and the guy is slurring his words too much for her to make it out. You probably need someone more fluent than her.

She also says she hates French, and will not take another semester of it unless someone puts a gun to her head.

Yeah, he has a really heavy France accent, and it sounds like some African too. Lots of French slang too.
    Anyway, here's what I got--

Si seulement tu m'aimais comme je t'aime

If only you loved me like I love you
    on n'en serait pas la
    we wouldn't be here
    Et si tu lis c'mot, c'est que j'ai du rentrer chez moi
    and if you read these words, it's because i had to return home
    pourtant j'ai plante d'vant ta porte pendant un mois
    yet i camped in front of your door for a month
    t'as ouvert c'etait pour m'insulter, mais j'comprends ta peur
    you opened, it was to insult me, but i understand, you're afraid
    j'fais figure de mauvais gars dans l'quartier
    I pretend to be a gangster (badass) in the neighborhood
    j'fais pas local c'est vrai, mais en public
    i don't do it around you it's true, just in public
    tu vantes mes qualites, loin des prejuges stupides
    you celebrate my qualities, far from stupid prejudices
    et des laius sur la mortalite, sur la modernite
    and speeches on mortality, on modernity
    des obligations dont j'aurais du m'acquitter
    obligations that i should have quit
    aujourd'hui il pleut des cordes, et sur le tarmac
    today it's raining sheets, and on the tarmac
    l'eau traverse mon sac pour mouiller mes diplomes.....
    water comes though my bag to soak my degrees (diplomas).......
    Last edited by Jingwu Man; 10-28-2007 at 09:50 PM.

That's too complicated for a good rap song. These French guys have the game all wrong.

I didn't see one "beeyatch", "ho", or "forty" in all of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    That's too complicated for a good rap song. These French guys have the game all wrong.

I didn't see one "beeyatch", "ho", or "forty" in all of that.
    Pah, MC Solaar PWNS you US rappers! But then I only like the hiphop that hasn't been totally dumbed down by gangsta bull.
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

RD, you should tell your daughter to keep up with her French. if you can speak french, portugese and english, you should have no problem tourning africa.

Mr Punch,
    didnt think anyone caught that one
    得 心 應 手

蔡 李 佛 中 國 武 術 學 院 - ( 南 非 )

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Punch View Post
    Dood, I'm not doing your daughter or your parental pride down in any way, but you've got some seriously naive blinkers on. I've no doubt that your daughter is very talented but when you say she could have taken the Japanes class over, isn't that because she went to a class that was lower than the level she's attained by self-study? I mean, that's great, but I could say the same about myself - I went to Japanese classes that were way below my level years ago, and my level wasn't high...
    Gotta remember, Japanese is one of those languages that seems easy after a year or two... people start thinking fluency is just a sheer function of time...then they get deeper into the grammar and realize that the progression isn't linear, it's geometric and it gets a lot harder as you go.

Just wait'll she gets a little further into verb conjugations, with stuff like Passive, Potential, Causative, and Causative-Passive. And don't even get me started on stuff like onyomi & kunyomi, keigo, non-feasibility, and different uses of tsumori.
    There will be pain, oh yes, there will be suffering.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

RD, you should tell your daughter to keep up with her French. if you can speak french, portugese and english, you should have no problem tourning africa.

Reply]
    I don't think she wants to go to africa.

Gotta remember, Japanese is one of those languages that seems easy after a year or two... people start thinking fluency is just a sheer function of time...then they get deeper into the grammar and realize that the progression isn't linear, it's geometric and it gets a lot harder as you go.

Just wait'll she gets a little further into verb conjugations, with stuff like Passive, Potential, Causative, and Causative-Passive. And don't even get me started on stuff like onyomi & kunyomi, keigo, non-feasibility, and different uses of tsumori.
    There will be pain, oh yes, there will be suffering

Reply]
    She is running into issues with that now....that is why she took that classs. She
    's going to take more next year in college. I want her to take Mandarin to translate stuff, but she is rebellious and doing Japanese to spite me.

Quote Originally Posted by Pork Chop View Post
    non-feasibility
    What's that?
    Quote Originally Posted by PC
    and different uses of tsumori.
    えーっ、例えば?
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

What's that?えーっ、例えば?
    For feasibility-
    The inability to not do: 「~ざるを得ない」
    The inability to stop doing something: 「やむを得ない」
    Expressing what can't be done: 「~かねる」
    Expressing what might be possible: 「かねない」

Uses of つもり
    行くつもり - I plan on going
    行ったつもり - I thought I would go
    This may not be a good example, but past tense before the tsumori can come out a little wonky sometimes.

Seriously though, any of the topics covered in Making Sense of Japanese has the potential to give the majority of beginner to intermediate students of Japanese some SEVERE headaches.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.

i hear ya. Japanese just never ends. Every year you think your comming to the end, but your just getting deeper, and deeper. I find mandarin ALOT easier than japanese, although the kanji is f*cking me over, its a good transition. i keep wanting to use japanese particles though...

Not sure whatcha mean by the tsumori difficulty... I always found the "have to" forms in Japanese to be a pain in the ass (~nakereba narimasen, ~nakute mo ii desu etc.) when you get into the different tenses and stuff. its such a mouth full too. I usually avoid it, and use hazu da or something... i'm rambling.

This year I've picked up more japanese probably than any other year I've studied (started 1993); but I think this is also the first time I've ever thought the language was hard, like harder than Chinese, and that it'll just keep getting harder.

most of the writing and speaking i do is informal, so i just say ~なきゃ and/or ~ないと for situations of "gotta" (leave off the "なりません" or "だめ" at the end)

Usually save my ~はずs for situations where I'd expect something to be so

While we're at it, for stuff I should do it's:
    ~たほうがいい For stuff I REALLY should/shoulda do/done.
    ~うほうがいい (例えば: 行くほうがいい) For stuff I should do.
    ~ばいい For stuff that would be good should it happen.

With the つもり thing i was talking about, it wasn't an issue till i saw something along the lines of 「死んだつもりだったら何でも出来る」 that was translated like "The person who believes they are already dead can accomplish anything". Made me take a double take after years of using つもり like: 日本語能力試験を受けるつもり ie "I plan on taking the JLPT".

Oh and call me crazy or uneducated, but the first time I tried to order food in Japan, I coulda sworn they were speaking a different language
    店内で召し上がりますか? "Will you be eating here?"
    何にしますか? お決まりですか? "What will you have? Have you decided?"
    The words I was expecting in those phrases just weren't there.

For feasibility-
    The inability to not do: 「~ざるを得ない」
    The inability to stop doing something: 「やむを得ない」
    Expressing what can't be done: 「~かねる」
    Expressing what might be possible: 「かねない」
    OK... not such common constructs. I've heard them and understand them but not so much, and never felt I needed to use them!

Uses of つもり
    行くつもり - I plan on going
    行ったつもり - I thought I would go
    This may not be a good example, but past tense before the tsumori can come out a little wonky sometimes.
    Oh yeah, that got me once and then I asked someone about it and: problem solved. But yeah, the language is a minefield no doubt.

Oh and call me crazy or uneducated, but the first time I tried to order food in Japan, I coulda sworn they were speaking a different language
    店内で召し上がりますか? "Will you be eating here?"
    何にしますか? お決まりですか? "What will you have? Have you decided?"
    The words I was expecting in those phrases just weren't there.
    LOL, I hear that!

OK... not such common constructs. I've heard them and understand them but not so much, and never felt I needed to use them!
    That's the problem with basing my training around JLPT. A lot of it's somewhat obscure but necessary to pass. Occasionally I'll hear "kanenai" though for "not impossible".

The last month has been terrible for studying. Not going to get back on it till after I move. Working out's kinda going out the window the past couple weeks as well.

Minor correction.

most of the writing and speaking i do is informal, so i just say ~なきゃ and/or ~ないと for situations of "gotta" (leave off the "なりません" or "だめ" at the end)
    Know not many probably even care but just found out from my girl on monday that guys don't say ~なきゃ. I'd always known that they didn't say ~なくちゃ, that it was kinda girlie; but now I guess both are out. According to her, guys always use ~なくては.

Was also surprised to find out guys don't use ~ちゃう or ~ちゃった, when they screw up or did something completely, instead sticking with the less fun to say ~てしまう.

Pretty soon I guess I'll be transforming every ~ます into ~っす like a proper dude. hehe