Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ali As A Martiatl Artist

Post Ali As A Martiatl Artist

Any thoughts ?. Ali , for example , in the Martial Atrs? fearsome though (and forget about Anouki thats not the point) Do you even know realize the skills of this 220 lbs? Its always crossed my mind .Laddell ? forget it m. Action J ?not even in the same ring. The dude hAD THE SPEED AND AGILITY OF A 160 LBS WITH THE POWER OF >>>>>

who is Ali ?

No notions of who he was Huh..? Amazing no ones ever given any thought to this.To each...Maybe boxing is considered too primitive? Lee didnt! guess the thought is too scary. keep on dreamin little dreams folks.

I like boxing, I just don't like not kicking is all.
    Mark

Ive always considered Western Boxing a form of Martial Art.

Ali definately was one of the greats, and a real crowd pleaser to boot.

The great thing about him was that he was just a naturally big guy, he didnt have to beef up to get heavy.

Probably why he was as agile as he was, he was just a natural, who IMO found his calling.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by mambi View Post
    Any thoughts ?. Ali , for example , in the Martial Atrs? fearsome though (and forget about Anouki thats not the point) Do you even know realize the skills of this 220 lbs? Its always crossed my mind .Laddell ? forget it m. Action J ?not even in the same ring. The dude hAD THE SPEED AND AGILITY OF A 160 LBS WITH THE POWER OF >>>>>
    Er...boxing is a MA and boxers are Martial artits, this is not a new view.
    Boxing, wrestling, Kentucky mud slinging, are all MA
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

I heard he had a sick ground game
    Everyone's favorite wooden dummy

"All over people thinking martial arts is for making sexy body. That one is a wrong. Martial art is for making sexy mind and sexy spirit"- Master Po
    http://www.greencloud.net

Don't be a victim. Be the dominant turkey.

Quote Originally Posted by Mook Jong View Post
    I heard he had a sick ground game
    His anti-grapple was unique to say the least, just as Inoki !
    LOL !
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Because people love the PERSON of Ali, because he has become a legend, and because of his great contributions to society (standing up againt the war, etc) people get angry when this is brought up, but since you asked

Ali's boxing had a lot of fundamental flaws. Flaws he made up for with natural speed and good strategy, but not always was that enough (Frazier broke his jaw in the first fight exactly due to one of his flaws, wrong head movement)

If you know the history of the Ali-Inoki debacle, you know how concerned Ali was when his trainers watched Inoki training for real with Karl Gotch (Lord rest his soul, RIP). The reason you saw such a bizarre match was because of the rules Ali asked for and got

In summary, Ali was a great man, made a great mark on boxing history, but had flaws as a boxer and would not have made a mark in MMA. Martial Artist? Yes, boxing is a martial art and if you include the moral aspects Ali had those as well, like I said, he was a great man
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Ali lost to a wushu guy

Check out Where Wushu Went Wrong: Wushu's Leading Champion, Zhao Changjun, Extols Traditional by me and Gigi Oh from our 2006 November/December. If you have the print mag version, there's even a pic on page 36.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Check out Where Wushu Went Wrong: Wushu's Leading Champion, Zhao Changjun, Extols Traditional by me and Gigi Oh from our 2006 November/December. If you have the print mag version, there's even a pic on page 36.
    A good article. I always laugh when they interview the "old timers" because they are so universally pro-fighting and pro-MMA

Interesting take on why contemporary wushu is not so popular

too bad they are mucking up the san da as well
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Greetings,

If there was ANY interaction between Zhao and Ali, it would have been friendly: they are both Moslem brothers. Additionally, Zhao was just a little kid in that photo. Ali was there circa 1977.

mickey

When Ali was not being a unabashed racist he was a great martial artist.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Jack II View Post
    When Ali was not being a unabashed racist...
    I'm not sure he was. He sure hung out with a lot of people who were, but at the time there were a lot of naive hangers on, and I think he was one of them. He was clever and charismatic, but I never pegged him as shrewd.
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

No notions of who he was Huh..? Amazing no ones ever given any thought to this.To each...Maybe boxing is considered too primitive? Lee didnt! guess the thought is too scary. keep on dreamin little dreams folks.
    LOL at the OP having a fit cos nobody responded to his barely English post. FFS pal, if English isn't your first language, fine, but don't expect everybody to decipher your ramblings.
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

Well, lets start off by saying Ali was human and as such is as guilty of making mistakes as the next guy, but I for one never fell in to his fanclub, personally he came across like a golem like douchebag whenever he opened his mouth.

The guy was a sexist, in specific to his Islamic dogma. He fathered a number of kids out of wedlock, one with a teenage girl. In 1975 or 1976 I believe he called for the lynching of interracial couples, he always seemed to be driving a spike between the races, plus he was a draft dodger.

This guy was no Joe Louis or Jackie Robinson.