Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tao of Jeet Kune Do

stickfighter Guest
    My copy of the Tao is at least 10 years old. And just about every page has at least one caption highlighted. Every time I read this book I find something that either I missed or didn't make sense or interested me at previous readings. I agree that the book is not easy to read. But it gives a glimpse into the simplistic views on the martial arts that Bruce Lee had. No fancy pictures, just hand drawn illustrations, etc. So, even though I for one am getting tired of all the coverage that Bruce Lee continues to get in the magazines and on the web, this book is and should be a must for all martial artist regardless of styles :D

Stickfighter

Tao of Jeet Kune Do

I'm thinking of buying the Tao of Jeet Kune Do. Does anyone here have it? Is it any good? All information is welcome.
    The Six Diseases:

1-The desire for victory.
    2-The desire to resort to technical cunning.
    3-The desire to display all that has been learned.
    4-The desire to awe the enemy.
    5-The desire to play the passive role.
    6-The desire to get rid of whatever disease one is affected by.

Yes. Buy it.

Its written by John Little.

strike!

it's a very good book. Lots of good info and quotes in there.
    Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    like that old japanese zen monk that grabs white woman student titties to awaken them to zen, i grab titties of kung fu people to awaken them to truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Canzonieri View Post
    You can discuss discrepancies and so on in people's posts without ripping them apart. So easy to do sitting behind a computer screen anonymously, but in person I'm sure you'd be very different, unless you're a total misanthrope without any friends.

Thanks for the replies. I'm about 90% sure I'll buy it and if I do I'll post my opinion about it too.
    The Six Diseases:

1-The desire for victory.
    2-The desire to resort to technical cunning.
    3-The desire to display all that has been learned.
    4-The desire to awe the enemy.
    5-The desire to play the passive role.
    6-The desire to get rid of whatever disease one is affected by.

but it really is rubbish.

I think the 'book' says as much.

strike!

yenhoi

I cant belive Im defending Bruces notes! but its not rubbish, As a matter of the fact, there are a lot of good ideas in this book.
    its not the HOLY BIBLE (as so many people belive) but it is a pretty good book.

The best comparisons That I can think of is the book of five rings, "this book has been written for both the master and the novice" The more you understand the more you see!

Dont close your mind to the possibilities, beacuse there is more in this world that we dont know, than what we do.

Sincerely C.A.G.

I found the book interesting when I first started learning kung fu, but after a while I came to realise that most of what was in there was not really unique, as it had always existed in kung fu.

My suggestion get the book and read it for yourself.

It will give you an idea as to the thinking process of Bruce.
    As noted it is not a written book, but more of a collection of notes and similar.
    Some will hit you and some won't.

Would have been interesting to see how BL would have evaluated his notes if he were still alive and training today.

Cheers.
    Witty signature under construction.

Art of War

What do people think of the Art of War? Do you think it's better than the Tao?

I've been reading it but seems the introduction is really long. Seems that Ts'ao Ts'ao was alive during Sun Tzu....I think.
    A"recovered" crack addict. "That came from being one of the Reagan-era kids when I was in middle school as part of that whole Just Say No thing. They would have people who were recovering addicts come to talk to us at school. One guy in particular came to talk to us about drugs. But it didn't sound like he thought they were that bad. He sounded more like a commercial for drugs than a warning."
    -Dave Chappelle on Tyrone Biggums

"A good male hostage negotiator can talk the pants off a nun. And a good female negotiator could be caught in bed with another man by her husband and the next moment would be standing up, putting her clothes on, acting like it was a big joke, convincing the husband that nothing happened. And after a while, maybe he wouldn't believe it, he's not stupid, but it would put some doubts in his head..."
    -CPD hostage negotiator

What???

Surely you're not comparing The Art of War to The Tao of Jeet Kun Do are you??
    Sun Tzu was a proven strategist and a warrior, who also understood the Tao, whereas on the other hand The Tao of Jeet Kun Do was written by Bruce Lee.
    " Don't confuse yourself with someone who has something to say " - The Fall

" I do not like your tone/ It has ephemeral whingeing aspects " - The Fall

" There are twelve people in the world/ The rest are paste " - Mark E Smith

Re: What???

Originally posted by Repulsive Monkey
    Sun Tzu was a proven strategist and a warrior, who also understood the Tao, whereas on the other hand The Tao of Jeet Kun Do was written by Bruce Lee.
    Yea so where does that fit it?

hmmmmmmmmm???
    A"recovered" crack addict. "That came from being one of the Reagan-era kids when I was in middle school as part of that whole Just Say No thing. They would have people who were recovering addicts come to talk to us at school. One guy in particular came to talk to us about drugs. But it didn't sound like he thought they were that bad. He sounded more like a commercial for drugs than a warning."
    -Dave Chappelle on Tyrone Biggums

"A good male hostage negotiator can talk the pants off a nun. And a good female negotiator could be caught in bed with another man by her husband and the next moment would be standing up, putting her clothes on, acting like it was a big joke, convincing the husband that nothing happened. And after a while, maybe he wouldn't believe it, he's not stupid, but it would put some doubts in his head..."
    -CPD hostage negotiator

Repulsive was friends with both sun and bruce it seems.

neat.

strike!

D@mn... Hey repulsive, what was feudal japan like?
    Or was sun tzu chinese?

Re: What???

Originally posted by Repulsive Monkey
    What if he is? While most scholars (hell, all scholars) would probably say that The Art of War is a better book, the Tao is going to be far more immediately useful to a martial arts student.

Yeah, the concepts in Sun Tzu are applicable to martial arts. But honestly, even you can recognize the difference in utility between "attack where the enemy fortifications are weakest" and "hit him where he's not guarding." Both are relevant. One is more accessible. So from a personally practical standpoint (as opposed to a literary or even strategic standpoint), the Tao is a perfectly valid choice over Sun Tzu.

And before you get all intellectual and snooty again, "whereas on the other hand" is redundant. Clever clogs.

Stuart B.
    When you assume, you make an ass out of... pretty much just you, really.