Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Tao of Jeet Kune Do

Hay App.

are you back? I havent seen any of your posting in a long time.

I agree the Art of war is a usefull resource,to any M/A.
    another GREAT book is the Book of five rings.

I personaly would put these two books on the must read list.

take care. C.A.G.

Re: Re: What???

Originally posted by Shaolin-Do
    D@mn... Hey repulsive, what was feudal japan like?
    Or was sun tzu chinese?
    NO!

Sun Tzu is a common name for an Elf.

...you **** fool.

.....Oy Vey....

Originally posted by apoweyn

What if he is? While most scholars (hell, all scholars) would probably say that The Art of War is a better book, the Tao is going to be far more immediately useful to a martial arts student.

Yeah, the concepts in Sun Tzu are applicable to martial arts. But honestly, even you can recognize the difference in utility between "attack where the enemy fortifications are weakest" and "hit him where he's not guarding." Both are relevant. One is more accessible. So from a personally practical standpoint (as opposed to a literary or even strategic standpoint), the Tao is a perfectly valid choice over Sun Tzu.

And before you get all intellectual and snooty again, "whereas on the other hand" is redundant. Clever clogs.

Stuart B.
    Some scholars arn't even sure if Sun Tzu was the real author.

Ts'ao Ts'ao (Cao Cao from the game) worte alot of stuff he thought was good...yet took out things he thought was irrelvent.
    You just can never be too sure with old texts. But yet even business men read that book and use the tatics during the "battle of work".
    A"recovered" crack addict. "That came from being one of the Reagan-era kids when I was in middle school as part of that whole Just Say No thing. They would have people who were recovering addicts come to talk to us at school. One guy in particular came to talk to us about drugs. But it didn't sound like he thought they were that bad. He sounded more like a commercial for drugs than a warning."
    -Dave Chappelle on Tyrone Biggums

"A good male hostage negotiator can talk the pants off a nun. And a good female negotiator could be caught in bed with another man by her husband and the next moment would be standing up, putting her clothes on, acting like it was a big joke, convincing the husband that nothing happened. And after a while, maybe he wouldn't believe it, he's not stupid, but it would put some doubts in his head..."
    -CPD hostage negotiator

Originally posted by curtis
    Hay App.

are you back? I havent seen any of your posting in a long time.

I agree the Art of war is a usefull resource,to any M/A.
    another GREAT book is the Book of five rings.

I personaly would put these two books on the must read list.

take care. C.A.G.
    Hey Curtis,

I hang around the main forum most of the time. This one was very quiet for a long time. So I stopped showing up.

Seems to be picking up though, yeah?

Stuart B.
    When you assume, you make an ass out of... pretty much just you, really.

Tao of Jeet Kune Do: Plagiarism

"Presently (2003?) in its twentieth printing and offered in nine languages, The Tao of Jeet Kune Do, for well over a decade a bestseller, has lined the pockets of a few at the expens of misleading countless martial artists of all ages and levels of proficiency. Hopefully the day will come when the great masters whos writings are contained in the Tao of Jeet Kune Do will be honored, both in print and monetarily, for their work that has for too many years been wrongly and purposely credited to Bruce Lee. Perhaps the worst example of plagiarism occured in 2000 when the estate's author John Little wrongly attributed to Bruce Lee the writing ("The Passionate State of Mind") of renowned philosopher (and the recipient of the Presidential Medal of Freedom) Eric Hoffer!"
    ~Tom Bleecker
    Unsettled Matters
    The life and death of Bruce Lee

I was going to put this in the "Other Related Arts" section, but I thought it would get better responses here.

Not sure how many of you actually read that entire biography that KF posted, written by Tom Bleecker, but this is near the end, and I feel is quite a valid concern in regards to the works that are in Tao of Jeet Kune Do that are plagiarised and NOT the original works of Bruce Lee.

Not to discredit any thing Bruce Lee had done in life, but as we all know, Tao of Jeet Kune Do, was not something Bruce Lee had done in life. Would BL have gone to the lengths of making much of this information and MA material appear as his original thoughts and concepts? Doubtful. Though its of no doubt that Bruce had developed his own thoughts, processes, concepts, ideals, etc. about martial arts, I for some reason would like to doubt that Bruce Lee would try to take another, past martial artists, credit for himself.

So, what can actually be done about this today. Can anything be done?

What are some of you're thoughts on this? Or do any of you even care? Possibly not.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

Was there anything original in the TofJKD ???

Little Tuttle

That was one of my big issues with Little's Lee series for Tuttle. He pillaged Lee's notes but didn't do the research beyond that. Lee was a philosophy student. Many of the notes published in the series were clearly class notes, never meant to be published. The same problem pervades TofJKD, which despite what was depicted in Dragon, was also published posthumously. It really wasn't fair to Lee to publish his notes. However, given the legend that followed, it was understandable.

It's also very amusing to see JKD followers quote the gospel of Lee, not realizing that it's actually Buddha or Hoffer or whoever.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    That was one of my big issues with Little's Lee series for Tuttle. He pillaged Lee's notes but didn't do the research beyond that. Lee was a philosophy student. Many of the notes published in the series were clearly class notes, never meant to be published. The same problem pervades TofJKD, which despite what was depicted in Dragon, was also published posthumously. It really wasn't fair to Lee to publish his notes. However, given the legend that followed, it was understandable.

It's also very amusing to see JKD followers quote the gospel of Lee, not realizing that it's actually Buddha or Hoffer or whoever.
    Hence my question of originality.
    When I read it and re-read it, I didn't see anything "new".

There are two other books from which he copied a lot of passages that found there way into "Tao"; one an old boxing bood, the other an old fencing book.

On another note, as "Tao" and "Do" are the same character (in two different dialects), the title annoys me to no end

Tao of Jeet Kune Do

"way of jeet kune way?"

way of jeet kune way of jeet kune way of jeet kune way....
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

The Way of the Way of the Intercepting Fist.

The Way of the Intercepting Fist Way.

Eh...

It is doubtful the information BL found valuable enough to collect was original to the sources from which he gleaned the information. So to be fair to the "original" sources one would have to go back into history to unnamed and unknown sources.

In order for the information to be considered plagiarized it would have to be directly copied from a published volume. In order for the information to be BL"s all it requires is rewording.

I saw an article once that showed entite paragraphs, word for word, were taken from the two books and put into "Tao"

again, he was dead and gone when they did this, these were just his personal notes, the people responsible are his widow and the book company

As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Is that the green eyed monster I see in this thread. Great Sigung Lee was the most original thinker ever in the martial arts. He thought thoughts that no one else ever did, synthesized techniques in such a way to break the paradigm of the day, and if he did use an idea by someone else he extrapolated it into places that even today many are still trying to comprehend. But I guess it's easy to attack someone who has progressed onto the next plane of reality.

The Real Original Lucky Louie
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

What about the Bruce Lee Books that M. Uharya authored called Bruce Lees Fighting Method the four books . are these also plagarized ?

Quote Originally Posted by rogue View Post
    Is that the green eyed monster I see in this thread. Great Sigung Lee was the most original thinker ever in the martial arts. He thought thoughts that no one else ever did, synthesized techniques in such a way to break the paradigm of the day, and if he did use an idea by someone else he extrapolated it into places that even today many are still trying to comprehend. But I guess it's easy to attack someone who has progressed onto the next plane of reality.
    I hope this is a sarcastic post.....

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    As stated before, Tao of JKD were simply a collection of his personal notes, and included quotes from many sources-especially Jack Dempsey's book on boxing.People have a tendancy of taking something and running with it, such as the term "Straight Blast" which is simply a slight re-naming of what Dempsey referred to as the stiff jolt-his mainstay jab.