Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any real Shaolin teachers in Columbus Ohio?

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    you dont need to go check it out. click on the webwsite gallery. its full of skinny old people.
    This school seems to know what's up with traditional China. At the top of their page they say Traditional Chinese Martial Arts but if you look at the school photos it shows a Korean flag. This is legit because Chinese people like Taekwondo more than gong fu.

OP, you should go to this school. You'll have a genuine Chinese experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Scythefall View Post
    This is legit because Chinese people like Taekwondo more than gong fu.
    Sad but true.

So the short answer to the original question seems to be - no.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Rasta View Post
    So the short answer to the original question seems to be - no.
    based on a fully exhaustive glance at their website and the infinite wisdom of bawang

My recommendation to the OP: go check out a class or two and decide for yourself

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Cup View Post
    based on a fully exhaustive glance at their website and the infinite wisdom of bawang

My recommendation to the OP: go check out a class or two and decide for yourself
    better listen to my wisdom than a shaolin do crackhead like you.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Generally, i always avoid a place if I can't read the instructor's bio, but if you don't mind stopping by in person to watch a class, then it can't hurt.

Some schools are cool and just let you watch and give you a brochure. Then there are some that will try to pressure you in to trying a class... even when you tell them you're busy.
    like that old japanese zen monk that grabs white woman student titties to awaken them to zen, i grab titties of kung fu people to awaken them to truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Canzonieri View Post
    You can discuss discrepancies and so on in people's posts without ripping them apart. So easy to do sitting behind a computer screen anonymously, but in person I'm sure you'd be very different, unless you're a total misanthrope without any friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Kymus View Post
    Some schools are cool and just let you watch and give you a brochure. Then there are some that will try to pressure you in to trying a class... even when you tell them you're busy.
    You're too busy to participate but you can sit there and watch?

This kind of person never comes back because their only motivated enough to come in and look once. They're more comfortable sitting at home watching movies and daydreaming. Only those who DO the class end up joining, because they are the motivated ones anyway.

Martial art is about movement. If you go to check out a class, be prepared to do something.

Quote Originally Posted by LFJ View Post
    You're too busy to participate but you can sit there and watch?

This kind of person never comes back because their only motivated enough to come in and look once. They're more comfortable sitting at home watching movies and daydreaming. Only those who DO the class end up joining, because they are the motivated ones anyway.

Martial art is about movement. If you go to check out a class, be prepared to do something.
    The school in question that did this to me was terrible, and telling them I was "busy" was my excuse so I could avoid saying "your school is real sh!tty; there's no way I'd train here".

Generally speaking, I think that when you try to abruptly make plans with someone and you tell them you're "busy" and you "aren't sure when you'll be free", it's considered rude to pry.

My old school offered anyone that came in a free lesson. If you wanted to sit and watch, they were OK with that. They didn't try to verbally drag you on to the floor. The assn't instructor at this other school kept trying to find a hole in my argument to schedule me to come in to try a class another day.. eventually, after the 3rd try, his teacher told him to leave me alone... thank god.

addendum: just to be clear, I watched a full class, and it was afterwards that they kept trying to schedule a day for me to come in and try a class.
    like that old japanese zen monk that grabs white woman student titties to awaken them to zen, i grab titties of kung fu people to awaken them to truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Canzonieri View Post
    You can discuss discrepancies and so on in people's posts without ripping them apart. So easy to do sitting behind a computer screen anonymously, but in person I'm sure you'd be very different, unless you're a total misanthrope without any friends.

I see. He was just trying to follow up and get his enrollment bonus from you.

I'd always suggest participating first if the school offers a free trial. If they don't then they obviously have a problem with new enrollment and need or want money too badly and are tired of training people for free who never come back.

If they're good enough they can afford to give prospective students a free trial knowing they'll probably enroll after the good experience. My school always gave 3 free trials so they could get a sense of a normal week of training. It usually didn't take that long to enroll them with no effort beyond allowing them to join in.

You guys thought I was gone. I did find a few trainers outside of Columbus. Bunch of places 2.5 to 3 hours away. I tried it but it was just too much. I'd drive there, train for 2 to 3 hours and then drive back. It took up my whole day.

I did finally managed to find a private training here in Columbus who has taken me on as a student. I'm not 100% sure but I don't believe he'll be taking anyone else on at the moment. Good luck to anyone else.

I wonder if I know Pearsof.

Well that's just not the attidue, is it? Lol. My old coach begged his father to let him train at Shaolin - they lived 'relativey' near, but it was a serious walk to get there - but his father used to walk him there, and he'd stay there for a few weeks, then his father would come and pick him up and they'd walk back. And then they'd do it again. Have you ever read Gichin Funakoshi's autobiography? - he used to walk for hours to get to training everyday. It all depends how much you really want it.

Quote Originally Posted by Miqi View Post
    Well that's just not the attidue, is it? Lol. My old coach begged his father to let him train at Shaolin - they lived 'relativey' near, but it was a serious walk to get there - but his father used to walk him there, and he'd stay there for a few weeks, then his father would come and pick him up and they'd walk back. And then they'd do it again. Have you ever read Gichin Funakoshi's autobiography? - he used to walk for hours to get to training everyday. It all depends how much you really want it.
    Not going to disagree with this at all. I seriously love kung fu but it isn't the only love of my life. Traveling out every week gets hard and expensive while also attempting to work and manage a family.

I haven't read Gichin Funakoshi's autobiography but he sounds like he took this a lot more seriously than I have.

It's the real deal.

[QUOTE=Wannabemonk;1262976]Not going to disagree with this at all. I seriously love kung fu but it isn't the only love of my life. Traveling out every week gets hard and expensive while also attempting to work and manage a family.

Hello Wannabemonk, I rarely, if ever go on forums, which would explain my delay in responding to your post. However, I want to respond first by saying, I am a instructor at Huiguang in the Columbus area and I am very fortunate to study Shaolin, traditional Shaolin. I have had the good fortune of studying with some very good and very well know Masters, in and outside of Shaolin. So, to respond to one of the other people who posted in this thread, I would say that my "Bio" is, I started as most of us did in the 80's in Tae Kwon Do, then later I happened upon a school in Reynoldsburg, Ohio about 25 years ago. I found them after I was watching old Kung Fu movies and I remember the movie was "The Yellow River Fighter", I decided to go and find a school. This was a decision that would change my life...I will spare you the story for now, but it is enough to say that because of my choice to find a school I have been blessed to study with Masters such as: Master Chan Pui, Chen Dao Yun, Chan Sau Chung, Chen Bing, Zhang shijie and Zhu Tianxi. With all that, I have been focusing on Shaolin for about the last 15+ years mostly working in Jingang quan, Luohan Quan, Shaolin QiGong and Shaolin weapons. If you would like to see an example of some of what is taught at the school you can go to youtube at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cr3q4vhzr58 or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tlHmh29FYo I have had the great opportunity to travel several times to China to continue with my training. We try to go to China every year to our sister school in China which is headed by Zhang Shijie and then we also have them come to Columbus as well. So, as far as traditional, we are very traditional. In my school, we take all kinds of students from young to old. There is no requirement, I also find it very interesting that for Martial Artist, as some of the people who responded to your post claim to be, can look at some pictures and out of that snap shot judge a school. Last thing, I want to respond to the individual who pointed out the Korean Flag, yes it was, but we at the time were sharing the space with a Tae Kwon do school, enough said. I extend a welcome to all who are interested in training in Shaolin Kung Fu, we accept all, no one person is ever excluded. I always say, " If you want to train, if you want to learn you will find the way and no obstacle will stop you from achieving what you want." Wannabemonk, though as mentioned before it has been a while since your first interest, I always extend the offer to come and study with us, but if you have found a school I wish you the best of luck in your studies.