Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Iron Buddha Style?

Weasel,
    I Dont Know How They Are So Different. When He Was Doing It On The Video He Appeared To Be Having A Fit Instead Of Doing The Form. Just My Lousy 2 Cents. And 2 Cents Is As Bout As Much As I'm Willing To Part With For That School Levy.
    We Should Get Together Sometime. Maybe Coffee At Arabica On Massillon..that's Close To You Right?

Southern Tiger..no That Is The Only Buddha Set That I Learned Sorry To Be Of Little Help.

Sw

Quote Originally Posted by stonewarrior67 View Post
    Weasel,
    I Dont Know How They Are So Different. When He Was Doing It On The Video He Appeared To Be Having A Fit Instead Of Doing The Form.

Must've been the MAX tension...

Quote Originally Posted by stonewarrior67 View Post
    We Should Get Together Sometime. Maybe Coffee At Arabica On Massillon..that's Close To You Right?

Aw, shucks... It's a date!

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    and "Arhat" is just as WRONG as "Buddha"

An arhat is the aspiration of the Hinayana Buddhist tradition, which is NOT the tradition in China (it is the tradition in Thailand, Burma, etc)

Chinese Buddhism belongs to the Mahayana tradition, where the aspiration is a Boddhisatva. "LO Han" is a Boddhisatva. not an arhat
    Nope. Luo han is arhat. Luo han quan is arhat boxing/fist.

Arhat is someone who has achieved enlightenment and so escapes the cycle of reincarnation in samsara.

Boddhisatva is someone who seeks to enlighten others through his enlightenment.

IME the terms are used with no distinction as to Theravada or Mahayana. There are greater distinctions than those two.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernTiger View Post
    Sal, thanks for the lessons in semantics - I think Sifu Allen does call it "teet lo han" in chinese so perhaps "iron buddha" is not the best translation. As we all know, chinese words are quite conceptual in their meaning and translation into an english word can be problematic. Perhaps "iron-like one that achieves enlightenment through realization of buddha-nature" would be a decent conceptual translation, but that is quite ugly in our modern vernacular.
    That's why we have the word 'arhat' which means: "one that achieves enlightenment through realization of buddha-nature"! It's Iron Arhat for goodness sake!
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Punch View Post
    Nope. Luo han is arhat. Luo han quan is arhat boxing/fist.

Arhat is someone who has achieved enlightenment and so escapes the cycle of reincarnation in samsara.

Boddhisatva is someone who seeks to enlighten others through his enlightenment.

IME the terms are used with no distinction as to Theravada or Mahayana. There are greater distinctions than those two.

That's why we have the word 'arhat' which means: "one that achieves enlightenment through realization of buddha-nature"! It's Iron Arhat for goodness sake!
    Dude, you are wrong. There is no "arhat" in Mahayana Buddhism and since the only Buddhism in China is Mahayana there is no "arhat"

It's just like Protestants don't have a Pope, Catholics don't hare Rabbis and Jews don't have Imans

Dear lord, read something before you say something so dumb as "the terms are used with no distinction as to Theravada or Mahayana"
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    Dear lord, read something before you say something so dumb as "the terms are used with no distinction as to Theravada or Mahayana"
    I read something. Turns out that something may have been wrong.

I'll get back to you. Don't hold your breath.
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

In chinese ,tibetan,japanese, vietnamese tradition of the
    Buddha Dharma and for that matter any nation that the teachings of the
    mahayana took root has depictions and references to sravakas,pretayaka buddhas ,arhats,bodhisatvas and buddhas.
    The word lohan is a transliteration ( a poor one) of the sanscrit word arhat wich literaly translated into english means "foe destroyer"
    In the mahayana sutras the Buddha is described as " arhat,tathagata,samyak
    sambodhi.The arhat , the one thus gone ,complely enlightend.
    In the tibetan and chinese traditions arhats are usauly
    depicted as monks wearing the three dharma robes of a fully ordained bhikshu.
    They may carry a dharma staff ( the long staff with the rattle thing on top).
    there eye brows can be long and there faces will be very human and a little
    old manish.
    Bodisatvas(transliterated by antienc chinese scholars
    as "pu sa" as in"guan shi yin pu sa") are depicted wearing silks of many colors
    jewlery such as braclets,bangles,neclaces and usualy a jewel diadem on there
    head.
    If one realy wants to know the true nature of arhats
    and bodhisatvas,one should read the Mahapadmapudarikasutra where the Budddha Shakyamuni taught the the true nature of the hinayana and mahayana.
    First smooth,then fast.
    Smooth is fast.