Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Iron Buddha Style?

I learned the Iron Buddha strength set years ago, 1991 as a matter of fact, it was as Laukarbo described, a tension set with a certain amount of hypogastric breathing...it was benificial as it gave me some strength and helped my v02 max...it was not meant for fighting. Did it about six months or so and moved on to other forms.
    I had a chance to see Green Dragons video on this certain set not long ago. Master Allen was the one demonstrating it. Whooooweee I had to turn it off 1/4 in to it...I could not believe how badly the form was butchered...now this comes from a guy who is not a Green Dragon basher, I believe that Allen even now in his 60's could kick some serious ass.
    Hi ya Weasel hope things are well with you and yours. Tell the other guys, Mike, Bobby and Steve, howdy for me.
    SW

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Canzonieri View Post
    Like GD's Tai Tzu Chang Chuan tapes, there are not this style whatsoever.

It is tapes of southern CLF type "long fist". Most likely from Freeman Ong.
    Who is Freeman Ong?.
    Last edited by diego; 11-02-2007 at 07:34 AM.

I think he was a somewhat famous teacher in Ohio (at least well known in Ohio martial arts circles). I think he died before I got involved in martial arts, so I don't know much about him. I just remember the name.

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    and "Arhat" is just as WRONG as "Buddha"

An arhat is the aspiration of the Hinayana Buddhist tradition, which is NOT the tradition in China (it is the tradition in Thailand, Burma, etc)

Chinese Buddhism belongs to the Mahayana tradition, where the aspiration is a Boddhisatva. "LO Han" is a Boddhisatva. not an arhat
    the tradition in thailand and burma is hands down therevada buddhism not hinayana
    there are only masters where there are slaves

www.myspace.com/chenzhenfromjingwu

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    5. The reason you know you're wrong: I'm John Takeshi, and I said so, beeyotch.

Hello all,

Wow, all these replies in one day... maybe I should check this forum more often...

Anyway, I appreciate (some) of your responses to my question. I had no intention of starting a Green Dragon love/hate thread I only was curious about this style.

Sal, thanks for the lessons in semantics - I think Sifu Allen does call it "teet lo han" in chinese so perhaps "iron buddha" is not the best translation. As we all know, chinese words are quite conceptual in their meaning and translation into an english word can be problematic. Perhaps "iron-like one that achieves enlightenment through realization of buddha-nature" would be a decent conceptual translation, but that is quite ugly in our modern vernacular.

Iron Weasel, are you a practitioner of this style? Can you tell more about its curriculum and principles? Thanks.

stonewarrior67, did you learn any of the forms from the style other than the strength set?

To wrap up, the main reason my interest was piqued int his style was because of a book I am reading that also mentions the style. The book is a biographical novel of Kwan Saihung called "The Wandering Taoist" It may be that the author is embellishing the story a bit by mentioning this style, but that is why I asked.

Perhaps Mr. Dale Dugas could help us on this subject as I believe he was/is a student of Kwan Saihung?

Thanks all.

-Blake
    "Gungfu is not just about fighting."

"Repitition is the mother of skill."

It has been a while since I have trained with Shifu Kwan.

Never learned anything that was a form. We did lots of exercises that he called Louhans, and they were some serious body weight and partner drills to train strength, flexibility as well as range of motion.

Hope this helps.

be well, train hard
    Mouth Boxers have not the testicular nor the spinal fortitude to be known.
    Hence they hide rather than be known as adults.

I have the vidoes of the Stone Warrior and the Iron Budhha.
    I have compared them to the few versions of the Iron Wire I have.
    I found them lacking in comparison.

Isokinetic exercises ( Dymanic tension through the full range of motion) are great to give you that "little something more", but I have found that very few people actually put that near maximal effort to truly reap the benefits and the longer the set the less intense it is.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by golden arhat View Post
    the tradition in thailand and burma is hands down therevada buddhism not hinayana
    Therevada and Hinayana are the SAME THING

go look it up
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by golden arhat View Post

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hinayana_Buddhism

got to love them thai monks (nuns... )!
    does any other group allow for monks to stop being "a monk" for a temporary period? I know it gets them into allot of trouble in Thailand...

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Canzonieri View Post
    Green Drag-on are stupid idiots that always get the facts about their sets wrong and the mis-label the sets to get more marketing mileage out of them.

THE REAL STYLE IS called IRON (tiet) LUOHAN, not buddha, and it is From Southern china, and there are a few sets that they practice, it is pretty much almost died out style.

Well, Sal, all four of the sources that I cited refer to the style as "Iron Buddha".

I guess they're all just as stupid.

You sound bitter about the Marketing aspect. Does Sifu Allen owe you money?

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernTiger View Post
    Iron Weasel, are you a practitioner of this style? Can you tell more about its curriculum and principles?

-Blake

I've never learned those forms, but I have seen them performed. I was taught a few drills and applications based on the fighting form, though.

Quote Originally Posted by stonewarrior67 View Post
    I had a chance to see Green Dragons video on this certain set not long ago. Master Allen was the one demonstrating it. Whooooweee I had to turn it off 1/4 in to it...I could not believe how badly the form was butchered...now this comes from a guy who is not a Green Dragon basher, I believe that Allen even now in his 60's could kick some serious ass.
    Hi ya Weasel hope things are well with you and yours. Tell the other guys, Mike, Bobby and Steve, howdy for me.
    SW

Hey, Bro, how's life in the old neighborhood? Fail another school levy?

How could that form be so different? Chicoine and Allen probably learned it at the same time!

Quote Originally Posted by IronWeasel View Post
    Well, Sal, all four of the sources that I cited refer to the style as "Iron Buddha".

I guess they're all just as stupid.

You sound bitter about the Marketing aspect. Does Sifu Allen owe you money?
    A lot of people take issue with the Green Dragon people, for a lot of reasons

1. Doctoring a photo to place Master Chang between Allen and Chicoine to falsely claim Master Chang endorsed their program

2. Going to tournaments, video taping local schools doing sets, then copying and selling the sets

3. Mislabelling sets - the 7 star praying mantis set "Bahk Yun Tao To" means "white ape steals the peach" but it is NOT a "monkey set". Adding in some wushu monkey to the set in order to sell it as such is dishonest to say the least

I could go on, but no real point. It's a free country, they are free to sell their product, and there is no "FDA" to stop them from labeling things as such. But people who know better can also voice their dislike of the practices
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

A lot of people take issue with the Green Dragon people, for a lot of reasons

1. Doctoring a photo to place Master Chang between Allen and Chicoine to falsely claim Master Chang endorsed their program
    Doctored for sure...but Chang endorsed Chicoine who endorsed Allen.

2. Going to tournaments, video taping local schools doing sets, then copying and selling the sets

3. Mislabelling sets - the 7 star praying mantis set "Bahk Yun Tao To" means "white ape steals the peach" but it is NOT a "monkey set". Adding in some wushu monkey to the set in order to sell it as such is dishonest to say the least

I could go on, but no real point. It's a free country, they are free to sell their product, and there is no "FDA" to stop them from labeling things as such. But people who know better can also voice their dislike of the practices
    I wasn't present for any of that. All I can say is that Sifu Allen was asked directly (in my presence...twice) about the source of some of his material, and he declined to answer.

Therevada and Hinayana are the SAME THING

go look it up
    dude i wouldnt know just sayin what i heard/have been told

most of the stuff i read on buddhism is about zen/pure land stuff
    i find it more interesting
    Last edited by golden arhat; 11-02-2007 at 06:11 PM.
    there are only masters where there are slaves

www.myspace.com/chenzhenfromjingwu

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    5. The reason you know you're wrong: I'm John Takeshi, and I said so, beeyotch.