Thread: Full contact Chen Tai Chi

Nice to see some live play in these arts but I wouldn't call that "full contact". Looked like a stand up grappling match. I thought I saw one kick early on and then one near the end but now I think they were attempts at throws.

The way these guys are leaning in so much, hunched down, looks like they are only concerned with not being thrown. Also, the opening seconds were ripe with opportunities for head strikes... not one punch thrown during the whole thing.

Looks like they are wearing chest protectors under their clothes too.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Yeah the skill level is really low and sloppy and they have no concept of TCC basics. This is common with Tai Chi tournament fighters, all chi no "chuan".
    "Don't think,
    just train"

Full contact means fighting. They are on a Lei Tai, but it's not Lei Tai fighting. There appear to be rules in place that limit what sort of contact they can make with each other.

What they're doing is not bad, you have to practice light to get good at fighting. This sort of "T'aiji sparring" should take place regularly in EVERY T'aiji school.

The real way for Nei Jia folks to practice fighting skills is to make friends with some Muay Thai folks and have some friendly, REGULAR sparring. That's the only way you're going to know if you understand the art martially or just can pull off relaxation, and integrated, whole-body connectedness in the calmness of running forms. It's like they say in school, "you're only cheating yourself."
    Last edited by BenDavid; 11-29-2007 at 05:15 PM.

Not talking about "taiji" or "internal" principles or anything like that. From a straight up point of view I wouldn't say they were "low level" or sloppy. The one gentleman was able to throw his resisting opponant time and time again. That takes skill.

A trained man fighting the air looks like a god. A trained man fighting an untrained man looks spectacular. A trained man fighting another trained man sometimes looks desperate.

I think that was great training. Just wouldn't label it full contact.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Pina View Post
    From a straight up point of view I wouldn't say they were "low level" or sloppy. The one gentleman was able to throw his resisting opponant time and time again. That takes skill.
    Absolutely agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Pina View Post
    I think that was great training. Just wouldn't label it full contact.
    Yep.

More about the Tai Chi Tournament:

1. the clip is just a snippet of a preliminary elimination bout to select 16 finalist to compete on live national TV. More than 130 competitors vie for the 16 spots over a one weekend period in November. Most of the competitors are full time professionals or semi-profs and many of them are national push hand champions.... e.g. 8 of them are instructors from Chen Village.

2. Rules: no hitting in the head, neck and groin, qinna allowed but not to cause severe injury such as breaking a limb. No weight limit - some guys have to fight opponents twice their size.

3. The finals will be telecast live on national TV in February (I believe).

4. It is not choreographed kungfu movie, so don't expect to see fancy Jackie Chan-type of fighting. Those finalists are all very seasoned and had experience fighting with many other styles and challengers.

Update

The finalists are currently secluded to train for one month at an intensive training camp under the coaching of the likes of Chen Xiaowang, Wang Xian etc.

latest training camp action photos:
    http://www.taiji.net.cn/bbs/dispbbs....5&replyID=9545