Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Splashing Hands from Northern Shaolin temple or Southern?

I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by SIFU RON View Post
    Sure, not 100% the same, but you will find it somewhere in the realm of things.
    It is all in how you are taught , train and practice. If you train like a Mc Dojo or Mc Kwoon then you end up like them . If you train like MMA guys do you will end up like them . Seems pretty simple to me.

Quote Originally Posted by tattooedmonk View Post
    It is all in how you are taught , train and practice. If you train like a Mc Dojo or Mc Kwoon then you end up like them . If you train like MMA guys do you will end up like them . Seems pretty simple to me.

RIGHT ON THE MONEY

Cool Hung Ga

In 1958 when I met G.M.Ark Y.Wong,I asked him what style he taught,he said Choy,Li,Mok,Fut,HungGar in that order . He had his own style of Hung Ga,but it varies little from the more well known styles.
    It is said to learn the new ways one must study the old ways.Makes sense to me.

Sifu Jim

Could Splashing hands be Tongbei?

Here's a pretty interesting documentary I found on Tongbeiquan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NSSzL9PK9M

What seems very intriguing is how similar some of their training looks to Splashing Hands. Especially in the way that they slap their own bodies. And also, I noticed that a lot of their strikes are done with open hands and relaxed fingers.

Many people seem to believe that the self-slapping in Splashing Hands comes from Kempo ... but now after seeing this video I'm not so sure about that.

At 2:10 and 3:35 there are some drills where the Tongbei people do a strike while at the same time slapping the shoulder with the other hand.

And at 4:10, they are slapping the sides of the abdomen while doing striking.

Is this kind of self-slapping very common in Chinese martial arts?

Could it be that Splashing Hands was some kind of Tongbeiquan (or derivative)?

During the Sung dynasty, Shaolin martial arts were pickled in Tong Bei, or Tong Bei derived styles, so *If* the story of Splashing hands is true, then it is very likely the remnants of some sort of Tong bei system.

Also,I have heard from Indonesian Kuntao players that thier style is from the really Old Shaolin (which i believe due to many similarities to my Tai tzu).

Splashing hands is very similar too certain types of Kuntao.

Since splashing Hands and Kuntao are not and were not connected to each other in the past, yet they share similar historical stories, and share certian similar movements, techniques and have other similarities, it stands to reason that the legend is true, and that the method is actually from Shaolin Temple. One branch went to Indonesia, and another to Taiwan.

My guess is it is part of a lost Tong Bei line that passed through Shaolin.

since I feel KunTao is of a pre Ming derivation, then Splashing Hands would be as well, because there is not even a remote modern connection to them...therefore the connection has to be in the ancient and distant past.

As for kempo, it's probably BUILT on Splashing hands, not the other way around.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eocgG...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bd2q...eature=related

Also,like Hong Quan, there are more than one style named Tong Bei. They are not necessarily related.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a