as some of you may know
    about 3 months ago i was wrestling
    got thrown over phills back and dislocated my elbow

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/inde...mageID=9732145

so yeah i left of everything did what the doctors told me to do
    went and saw the orthopaedist he said yeah
    just leave it and stretch it gently every now and a gain

next tiem i saw a different doctor
    he didnt touch my arm or anything he just fobbed me off looking at it and said
    yeah yeah just carry on
    even though i protested that my arm wasnt moving any further regardless of how much i stretched it
    never the less i went home and carried on

a couple of weeks later i went back
    saw the or iginal doctor
    got an x ray
    got refferred for physio

went to physio

i was told "odds are we can stretch it somewhat but u will NEVER get full mobility back" i was like
    :/
    so yeah she stretched it hard and it went a bit further niot much

she gave me an an excercise to do
    i heat the joint up for 15 minutes

get it as far as i can then ice it for 15 minutes in that position but that hasnt got it any further it just leaves me stiffer

so ive gone back to training i can hook people and wrestle to some extent (but i'm taking it very light)

anyway

what are ur thoughts on all of this ?
    there are only masters where there are slaves

www.myspace.com/chenzhenfromjingwu

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    5. The reason you know you're wrong: I'm John Takeshi, and I said so, beeyotch.

I have the same thing (hyperextension from boxing) It hurt constantly for the first 5 years. Now the pain is only on extension but man the noises it makes are hideous. Been to the Doctor and my only option is surgery. Really changed my life because I had to train differently. Any arm movement past parallel cant be done. On a positive note. It's not the worst injury I have

Quote Originally Posted by Egg fu young View Post
    I have the same thing (hyperextension from boxing) It hurt constantly for the first 5 years. Now the pain is only on extension but man the noises it makes are hideous. Been to the Doctor and my only option is surgery. Really changed my life because I had to train differently. Any arm movement past parallel cant be done. On a positive note. It's not the worst injury I have
    u can get surgery ?

as in forcing it to straighten through the use of sharp stuff ?

hmmm quick fix ....interesting cheers a bunch

it hapens to the best of us. if your training hard, its gonna happen, learn how to deal with them, be smart. I just got over a shoulder dislocation, the joint is never quite the same. Thats MA baby.

Can you do a pull up?

How about a pushup?

Can you take a dumbbell and extend your arm strait out and hold it?

If so, do one pull up, and then as you come back down, hold it at the halfway mark as long as you can. Build up to 3 minutes.

Do 10 circle pushups, hold at the top as long as you can, and then again at the bottom, and again half way. Do each as long as you can untill you can do each one 3 minutes.

Hold the dumbel out to your sides as long as you can, and then to the front. Hold the dumbel so the palms would be down if they were open. Build up untill you can hold each for 3 minutes.

NOW do all of your stretching.

Also, if you can go to a Chinese herbalist who specializes in Kung Fu formulas and get a good hit wine that is blended for the joints. Take it 1-2 hours before you train.

Do the above routine 4 times a week AFTER a good warm up. Make sure the warmup has extra arm circles and other light arm exercises in it so it's tuned to the practice.

The important thing here is t take it slow, and increase the time you hold slowly, and incrementally. Start with 30 second holds. If thta is not enough of a struggle, try 60 seconds. That should be plenty of a challenge at first.

When you are done, THEN do your phisio therapy exercises and stretches.

In 3 months you should be better. When you can hold each exercise for 3 minutes, you will be better, and stronger than before the injury.

Make sure you avoid impact (Hitting bags etc), and do not do anything that would stress the joint, like wrestle and get arm bared.
    Last edited by RD'S Alias - 1A; 11-02-2007 at 08:12 PM.

You may benefit from some bicep curls, preferably hammer curls and those curls where you twist upward to a palm up position since they both work some of the muscles in the bicep and forearm that is involved in bringing the arm upward. You should consider strengthening the entire arm.

Reply]
    Agreed. I would like to add that doing them ridiculously slowly would be very beneficial as well. Think Tai Chi meets weight training.

Get yourself to an experienced dit da acupuncturist.

They will be able to help you out.

You should be able to find one in Manchesters Chinatown or elsewhere

here is a link to try out:

http://www.herbsacupuncture.co.uk/index.html
    Last edited by Dale Dugas; 11-03-2007 at 02:36 AM.
    Mouth Boxers have not the testicular nor the spinal fortitude to be known.
    Hence they hide rather than be known as adults.

Elbow

If the X rays are negative for fracture or bone chip, then you should be able to have full extension. Have you had an MRI to show a ligament tear often the ligament at the head of the radius is torn. Also scar tissue forms with injuries such as this a long duration LOW intensity stretch will help if everything else is negative IE MRI etc PM me I think I can help. KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

Good point, you should find out "Why" you are having the problem first before you try to fix it.

In addition to what KC stated

SInce he is a PT and i am an LMT. From a Massage therapists standpoint, to deal with the scarring and the inflexability of your arm, a technique known as "Cross fiber friction" is essential here in order to realign the ligament and tendons. When scar tissue forms it does so in a "X" pattern and therefore shortens the ligament or tendon. With cross fiber friction work(which can be uncomfortable) you can facilitate change in the ligaments and tendons and allow them to realign themselves so that flexability can be restored. I wouldnt recommend lifting weights at this time(heavy weights) VERY light weights can be used and used SLOWLY.

So in essence, find yourself a decent MT who can address your needs in your arm.

Peace,TWS
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.

rather than offering you another uninformed opinion i would suggest you start the thread with the title attn/ cjurakpt, or pm him, as he is the one who would actually know something about rehabilitating an injury
    Bless you

yeah he would be the only one here who would know
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.

Quote Originally Posted by The Willow Sword View Post
    yeah he would be the only one here who would know
    well, I'd rather get a professionals opinion, for all these guys know slow bicep curls might make the problem much worse
    Bless you

TWS and I are professionals. But ask who you please just trying to help. KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

i'm going to phone my physio tomorrow and ask for another apointment i think

my friend who suffered the same injury and demanded alot of physio and they just gave it to him

are there different types of jow for ligaments as opposed to bruises

early on i used jow to treat the swelling and that worked to an extent

i'l talk to cjukarupt or however u spell it thanx guys

any more thoughts would be readily appreciated