climb up a rope 15'-20'
    don't drop off .........climb down

using the arms only
    the more times the better

but this is a little more than isolating the biceps
    Yes, that is grip work.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

as soon as i saw that guy's neck i knew i had nothing to learn. i'm all about bodyweight exercises, but im not all about wasting my time. that was the dumbest thing ive seen this week, maybe this month.

if you want to work bi's with body weight do chins and grapple. play tug of war with someone or climb rope. just dont waste your time with that.
    where's my beer?

.... didnt see that rope climbing was already mentioned. good lookin out.
    where's my beer?

also ... biceps dont need direct work. your biceps will get plenty of work from any and all full body pulling motions. excluding an injury or a weird muscle imbalance, the only reason to directly hit bi's is to get dem pipes. theres nothing wrong with that ... i do curlz for teh gurlz at least once a week .... but you gotta be careful to keep your goals in mind. i want big arms for the sake of having them and act accordingly.
    where's my beer?

Quote Originally Posted by GunnedDownAtrocity View Post
    as soon as i saw that guy's neck i knew i had nothing to learn. i'm all about bodyweight exercises, but im not all about wasting my time. that was the dumbest thing ive seen this week, maybe this month.

if you want to work bi's with body weight do chins and grapple. play tug of war with someone or climb rope. just dont waste your time with that.
    The idea that you can look at someone and instantly decide they have nothing to teach you is pretty conceted. I`ll admit it looks goofy and I doubt if I`ll try it......but I`ve also seen that guy do more chins (and in more positions) and more fingertip pushups than any of the Jocks or Marines that train at our school can hope to pull off.

Quote Originally Posted by Chosen-frozen View Post
    The idea that you can look at someone and instantly decide they have nothing to teach you is pretty conceited. I`ll admit it looks goofy and I doubt if I`ll try it......but I`ve also seen that guy do more chins (and in more positions) and more fingertip pushups than any of the Jocks or Marines that train at our school can hope to pull off.
    fair enough. i cant argue with the fact that the neck comment was conceited. i could have left personal insults out, but that's just not how i roll.

stacks of dimes aside, that is still one of the dumbest things i have ever seen. dude may be able to do 50 chins in good form, but all i have to judge him on is what ive seen so far, and what ive seen so far makes me want to laugh, cry, and sh!t on a midget baby all at the same time.

i guess if you had injured your bicep, and were also mentally challenged, that exercise might do you some good. otherwise it has no use. he even said so himself ... twice. "your not going to feel it on the first rep." you should feel every decent exercise on the first rep ... even if just a little. and im referring to general fitness here. if this guy is claiming that you should do any "strength" exercise you dont feel on the first rep he needs shot in the face with a big wad of bumcum. the second time he admitted the exercise was as useless as shoes on a paraplegic is when he said, "now its not a full range of motion." why would you waste your time with an exercise thats not full range of motion that you dont feel on the first rep? partial range of motion exercises have their place in a strength training or rehabilitation program, but they are generally done with relatively difficult resistance instead of no resistance.

i could get a better workout jerking off two llamas.
    where's my beer?

cjurakpt Guest
    ok, so it's basically a closed-kinetic-chain biceps drill, meaning that instead of the shoulder staying still and the hand moving when you flex the elbow, it's the other way around; it's pretty much the same thing as a pull-up, except it's only going to do work in the first 1/2 of the range or so, and the closer you get towards 90˚ of flexion, the less it's going to do work - so basically this trains biceps in the initial part of the range;

as for middle delts, the only time I felt those working was at the end of the motion: there seemed like there was some passive shoulder abduction, and I felt delts acting more as stabilizers than as prime movers (and I think lats and pecs were involved that way as well); so i don't know where he get this from

I guess that it's a nice thing for initial range of biceps; actually, it looks a lot like something you teach C5/6 paraplegics (I think that's the level - it's been ages since I worked with spinal cord injury) who don't have triceps but do have biceps, and need to learn to use them functionally in different ways than typically, such as getting up from supine; from an orthopedic perspective, personally I'd spend less time on those and more on lower traps, which are much more important overall for integrated dynamic postural function: basically, almost no one, in the absence of direct trauma, has weak biceps, and in fact most people have relatively excess biceps / pectoral / subscapularis tone in contrast to there antagonist muscles like lower traps, rhomboids and shoulder external rotators which are typically inhibited

also, I agree with GDA - you'd get more of a functional work out manually gratifying the alpacas - and you'd have two new friends afterwards to boot!

... but all i have to judge him on is what ive seen so far, and what ive seen so far makes me want to laugh, cry, and sh!t on a midget baby all at the same time.

i guess if you had injured your bicep, and were also mentally challenged, that exercise might do you some good. ...

LOL... It's that time of year again... When they let him out! Welcome back GDA.
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

I've tried it and you won't feel that on the first rep either.
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/

Quote Originally Posted by cjurakpt View Post
    I agree with GDA - you'd get more of a functional work out manually gratifying the alpacas - and you'd have two new friends afterwards to boot!
    you called?
    where's my beer?

cjurakpt Guest
    LOL! did someone get Photoshop recently?

the funny thing, the day after you posted that, when I dropped my son at daycare and we walked by the two llamas that we pass every morning (they have several different animals in a large pen on the campus where it's located), I almost died laughing

anyway, if you really want to learn about llamas, I suggest the following:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbwkkXGmFrI

also ... biceps dont need direct work.
    I'm gonna disagree with that. I think it's only true for some people. My biceps do need direct work. I've done long periods of time where the only work my biceps were getting were weighted pullups (wide grip) and I barely got any biceps development at all.

But then with like my shoulders, I never do direct shoulder work, ever, and my shoulders are proportionally my biggest and strongest body part. So I can say that I don't need direct shoulder work because I guess with the genetic makeup of my shoulder muscle fiber and however my CNS is wired, they get enough stimulation from just looking at weights to get big and strong. But I know a lot of people who need direct shoulder work, and just because I don't doesn't mean I can make that same generalization for everyone.

edit - this is why everyone should personalize their workout based on their own needs. Joe Schmoe might not need direct biceps work, but I sure do.
    Last edited by IronFist; 01-06-2008 at 12:20 PM.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Quote Originally Posted by IronFist View Post
    I'm gonna disagree with that. I think it's only true for some people. My biceps do need direct work. I've done long periods of time where the only work my biceps were getting were weighted pullups (wide grip) and I barely got any biceps development at all.

But then with like my shoulders, I never do direct shoulder work, ever, and my shoulders are proportionally my biggest and strongest body part. So I can say that I don't need direct shoulder work because I guess with the genetic makeup of my shoulder muscle fiber and however my CNS is wired, they get enough stimulation from just looking at weights to get big and strong. But I know a lot of people who need direct shoulder work, and just because I don't doesn't mean I can make that same generalization for everyone.

edit - this is why everyone should personalize their workout based on their own needs. Joe Schmoe might not need direct biceps work, but I sure do.
    i apologize for resurecting this thread, but i haven't had much time for the forums and wanted to respond to iron fist.

i hear what you're saying, but its all about goals. the word you used yourself was "development." like i mentioned initially, there's nothing wrong with gettin dem pipes, but they aren't required to be functional for most sports, even strength sports. there are lots of really great powerlifters out there with relatively unimpressive bis gettin big totals. also, think about football, hockey, rugby, etc. there are lots of football players with huge arms, but aside from flexing for the camera, i dont think it really helps them on the field. hell look at most quarter backs.

maybe i should have been more clear that i was referring to the general athlete. if you want big arms you should definately hit up bis directly. some people can get away with not doing direct bicep work, but i'm not one of them.
    where's my beer?

Quote Originally Posted by cjurakpt View Post
    LOL! did someone get Photoshop recently?

the funny thing, the day after you posted that, when I dropped my son at daycare and we walked by the two llamas that we pass every morning (they have several different animals in a large pen on the campus where it's located), I almost died laughing

anyway, if you really want to learn about llamas, I suggest the following:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbwkkXGmFrI
    you know whats funny is that i didn't photoshop that, and i didnt even search for it directly. i just happened to stumble across it the same time we were initially discussing llama lovin.
    where's my beer?

i apologize for resurecting this thread, but i haven't had much time for the forums and wanted to respond to iron fist.

i hear what you're saying, but its all about goals. the word you used yourself was "development." like i mentioned initially, there's nothing wrong with gettin dem pipes, but they aren't required to be functional for most sports, even strength sports. there are lots of really great powerlifters out there with relatively unimpressive bis gettin big totals. also, think about football, hockey, rugby, etc. there are lots of football players with huge arms, but aside from flexing for the camera, i dont think it really helps them on the field. hell look at most quarter backs.

maybe i should have been more clear that i was referring to the general athlete. if you want big arms you should definately hit up bis directly. some people can get away with not doing direct bicep work, but i'm not one of them.
    Dude. Don't disagree with me

Kidding. How have you been, man?
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.