Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Ng Fa Kau Da" (Five Flowers Trapping Strike)

"Ng Fa Kau Da" (Five Flowers Trapping Strike)

I asked this question on the Dino S. thread, but it got deleted.

Are there any CLF people that are familiar with this movement? It is comprised of several techniques...

Just curious, I've seen other CLF styles do 2-3 moves of the 5, but not all together.

Since my Sifu, Chan Tai-San had many different CLF teachers, I couldn't tell you what branch it is supposed to be from.

Lama:

I posted on the prior thread about this.

Personally I have never heard the phrase "ng fa kau da" but I will ask my sifu if he has heard of it.

Do you know the names of the five techniques it is comprised of?

Is it something that is supposed to be done in sequence or 5 techniques seen in a set? Any other insight on this?

Peace.

Yes, it's 5 techniques done in sequence.

It's techniques (no particular order) Siu Kau Da, Jyu Geng Pao Choih, Faan Gok Choih and Chaap Choih. Jyu Geng Pao and Chaap Choih are repeated once in the sequence. Siu Kau Da set's up the final Chaap Choih.

Do you have this in one of your sets? Perhaps it is unique to CTS's teachings?

It's seen in several sets of ours; both as a series of 5 moves and several variations of it. I've seen variations in other CLF styles such as Chaap Choih, Jyu Geng Pao Choih and Chaap Choih. In this case, all done with the same hand (right).

The "Jyu Geng Pao Choih " is that an uppercut strike? We use faan jong choy but I know others use pow choy.

I've seen the individual movements obviously in a lot of places, the particular combo that CTS used to do under the name "ng fah kau da" I haven't seen in any CLF....

strange as it sounds, I think it may have come into being because CTS did both CLF and Lama... ie Lama's "Chat Sing Lin waan" maybe have inspired said "ng fah kau da"
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quite Possible. CLF people do use the chaap and pao choih combo though. Ng Fa adds Faahn Gok and Siu Kau Da...

Yeah your right, we have a combo of faan jong (R), cum jeurng (L) & chop choy (R). They are not all done with the same hand though.

What's Faan Gok Chui? The typical CLF refrain combo is the "big pass" which goes Gwa Chui, Kum Sau, Chin Ji, Biu Jong, Chuin Nau, Poon kiu, Tsop Chui.
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Gash View Post
    What's Faan Gok Chui? The typical CLF refrain combo is the "big pass" which goes Gwa Chui, Kum Sau, Chin Ji, Biu Jong, Chuin Nau, Poon kiu, Tsop Chui.
    Gok Choih is what we call a "Horn" or Hook Punch.

"Faan" is to invert; when we turn the fist over and change the angle of the technique.

"Faan Gok Choih" is a hook punch, but instead of it riding along a horizontal plane, it rides along a vertical plane. I'll shoot some video of it and post it up in a day or two.

We call that Lam Choy. Do you hit with the knuckles where the fingers connect with the hand?

We try to...but if you've got a hard enough fist, there are a few different parts of the hand that could cause damage. Optimally, yes, hitting with the main knuckles would be best, but I don't really believe that you can be that accurate all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by CLFNole View Post
    We call that Lam Choy. Do you hit with the knuckles where the fingers connect with the hand?
    What is the "Lam" in your Lam Choih?

Do you mean what character? If so I would have to check, I just know when we do it in a set when we practice together he calls it lam choy.