Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wing Chun Mindset

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    yeah robert this terence is a ****head
    You gotta love the straight forward nature of a New Yorker

OMG! LMAO at all of you little kids whining at this guy!

Really. How can anyone take what he said as some kind of insult? FFS, are you taking drugs?

It's like this:

Robert Chu: Some pandas have been shown not to eat bamboo.
    JPinAZ: Just which pandas are you talking about? What do you mean by bamboo? I think it's obvious which pandas you are referring to. How could you insult pandas so much?
    All: One of your own pandas doesn't eat bamboo... you should feed him some before you come here preaching about bamboo!

Holy **** it really is like a primary school in here.

Thanks for the opera, mate. Inspiring indeed. My question to him is why is he on a show like that being judged by wankers with half the talent he has, instead of being in an opera company...

waits...
    waits...

C'mon guys, let's have a chorus of: 'Who do you mean by wankers with half the talent he has? Are you talking about me/my kung fu teacher/my mom?'...

its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    yeah robert this terence is a ****head
    That was pretty funny though.
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Punch View Post
    OMG! LMAO at all of you little kids whining at this guy!

Really. How can anyone take what he said as some kind of insult? FFS, are you taking drugs?
    "Many of WCK practitioners have this loser mentality. You a winner or loser?"
    "So I see WCK as having a disease..."
    "Wake up! WCK practitioners, wake up."

What's this mean then? He's not hinting that everyone's a winner.

Yet I'm think it's some sort of admonishment. It must be me and my *massive* ego. I have to reread it again removing my sense of self.

This is another one:
    "No position, no opposition."

i.e. Ditch your opinions. That way there's no conflict because you won't have to express yourself when there is no self.

Robert wrote:
    I teach my students WCK and they learn from their experience. WCK is a work in process, one is always developing and perfecting it. My students all express it and I don't try to control them - what they say or what they think. If they ask for my opinion, I tell them.

---Believe me, this is a good thing! I was involved in a lineage that was somewhat secretive and I was told there was certain things I should not post about. It finally came down to the Sifu telling me not to post in the forums at all. I couldn't go along with that, and so broke off from this lineage. Robert is not responsible for what Terence thinks or writes. Did anyone stop to think that perhaps this thread started by Robert was a "gentle reminder" for Terence himself? Now whether Terence actually takes the hint is another matter!

Quote Originally Posted by sihing View Post
    You gotta love the straight forward nature of a New Yorker
    ... but he is an Englishman in New York

http://www.lyricsfreak.com/s/sting/e..._20132036.html

If, manners maketh man as someone said
    Then hes the hero of the day
    It takes a man to suffer ignorance and smile
    Be yourself no matter what they say

I'm learning more about this forum and its many members with every passing day.

Good or bad? Or simply just 'playing kung fu'?
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Quote Originally Posted by Edmund View Post
    "Many of WCK practitioners have this loser mentality. You a winner or loser?"
    "So I see WCK as having a disease..."
    "Wake up! WCK practitioners, wake up."

What's this mean then? He's not hinting that everyone's a winner.

Yet I'm think it's some sort of admonishment. It must be me and my *massive* ego. I have to reread it again removing my sense of self.
    I have just re-read this thread and reflected upon its contents. I have started to awaken myself and remove the ego attachment. I want to be a winner.

My plans are to quit my job and take up cellular phone sales at a kiosk in the mall.
    Oh, and I'm starting opera lessons this week.

All of this will make my wing chun pure.

god this forum has really turned into a 'lets-have-a-pop-athon' lately hasn't it.
    Wouldn't catch me lowering myself to such childish behaviour
    would love to stay and chat, but its time for my (all together now) 'dinner-dinner-dinner-dinner....dinner-dinner-dinner-dinner......'

Dan

Batman!!!!

Don’t be a “knowledge hog”…

Hello all,

The simplest mindset of a fighter starts in training… Don’t be a knowledge hog: Digest the information that you may already have before going too the next… It’s not how good you are, but how good one can become (master your levels)…

The reason why some wing chun practitioners wing chun don’t work, they keep constantly choking off the information that they already have, hence a bad representation for all wing chun klan’s…

The way I was taught and teach, is too develop grace under pressure without deviating from structure and the mass principles of the art itself, never putting self in the way, but learning and developing “what is” before going to the next (make sure it works for you before asking for more information)…

What you see me do on clips is what you’ll see, when I’m in an all out fight… I believe that I may be one of the many-or-few, that their wing chun can really work under full pressure, because I kept telling myself this; Don’t be a “knowledge hog”…

Ali Rahim.
    Last edited by Ali. R; 11-13-2007 at 11:21 AM.

FFS, are you taking drugs?
    You say that, then you come up with that panda/bamboo analogy. What have you been smoking?

The main purpose of this forum IS for *****ing and whining, trying to lift yourself up by pulling others down, and telling other people how to behave without doing it yourself.

Now that it's been explained to you, feel free to continue on that basis.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Quote Originally Posted by Ali. R View Post
    ... I believe that I may be one of the many-or-few, that their wing chun can really work under full pressure...
    What is this pressure you speak of?

Discuss.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayfaring View Post
    What is this pressure you speak of?

Discuss.

Why do I feel like I’m about to walk into something?

Ali Rahim.

Bogdan Rosu - Empowerment Wing Chun, Bucharest Romania

Random Forbes article. Anything to give this here subforum a little luv.

Nov 30, 2018, 12:45pm
    Self-Defense For The Entrepreneur's Spirit
    Elaine Pofeldt
    Contributor
    Entrepreneurs

When martial artist Bogdan Rosu launched his own martial arts school, Empowerment Wing Chun, in Bucharest, Romania, in 2013, some of his friends were perplexed. Although they knew how passionate he was about Wing Chun—a type of kung fu focused on close-range fighting—they didn’t see much potential for him to make a living through self-employment.

“They were like, ‘Why don’t you get a job? You’re wasting your time,’” Rosu, 30, recalls.

Rosu felt frustrated, but, tapping into the mindset he’d learned from studying martial arts, he decided to let go of the anger he felt when they expressed their skepticism.

“They were testing my conviction,” he told himself. “That was valuable. They saw they couldn’t budge me.”

Today, Rosu has built a business around what he loves by teaching private lessons to a small group of martial artists at a premium price point. He has extended the Empowerment Wing Chun brand he started at the school to an online course that taps into the connections between martial arts and business and the Personal Development Through Martial Arts podcast, where I recently met him when he interviewed me about my own experiences learning taekwondo.

Bogdan Rosu, based in Romania, teaches his students how to apply the principles of martial arts to their business and personal goals.EMPOWERMENT WING CHUN

As a student of martial arts and freelancer, I found Rosu’s approach to be very relevant to the daily realities of self-employment. Running a very lean operation is fun but it can sometimes be hard, and some of the biggest battles we face are with our own mindset. In a world where it can at times seem like folly to try to make a living outside of a traditional job, one of the most important skills to have is protecting your own entrepreneurial dream, no matter what form of freedom you envision for yourself. That way, misunderstanders won't sap your strength.

Here are some of my takeaways from our conversation on how to do that.

Take time to understand how your mindset affects your effectiveness. No matter how smart your approach to what you’re doing—whether martial arts or business—it won’t get you very far if you haven’t addressed underlying personal challenges, like lack of confidence. “It’s not just about having the right strategy,” says Rosu. “It’s really about diving deep into what you are going through on a personal level. If there’s an imbalance in your personal life, it can affect your business.” You may need help from an advisor or coach to break out of what is holding you back.

Know where you need to bring courage. Doing business with a demanding client or tackling a financial setback may not be the hardest part of your business. As Rosu experienced, what may be harder to process is resistance from people around you who feel entrepreneurship is too risky. Bucking that social pressure can require a lot of inner strength. “It takes a lot of courage to do your own thing and be who you are,” he says.

Nonetheless, lack of social support does not mean you should give up on what matters to you.

“Once you accept why your friends are doubting you, it will be much easier to release any anger you feel and not be dominated by it,” he says. In his own case, what helped was realizing that his friends cared about him but were fearful he was making a mistake, letting go any residential frustrations about that and redoubling his efforts to grow his business through concrete actions, like digital marketing.

Master the basics. In martial arts, you need to learn certain fundamental skills to be successful. That is why many schools focus so heavily on drills to learn them.

In a very small business, learning fundamentals such as cash flow management are just as essential—even if what drives you, deep down, is the pursuit of your professional passion and not the finances.

“It is difficult to get into the mindset of being a business owner and being aware of cash flow,” says Rosu. However, once you bring that discipline to your business, he notes, “it is an advantage.”

Put yourself in a position of power. In his practice, Rosu teaches students a breathing technique to focus them on elevating themselves, so they are in the proper mindset for growth.

When running a business, a way to do this is by thinking about attracting the clients you really want, as opposed to anyone who chooses you, he explains. A good question to ask to get yourself in this mindset is: “Whom would you love to spend time with?”

Vetting clients in a qualifying conversation to make sure they are a good fit can help with this. “You need to be in a position to say, ‘Great. I love your interest. However, I don’t feel it’s the right time to work together,” he says. “Then you put them on a waiting list.”

Modulate your approach to business challenges. Many business owners get into the habit of applying the same energy level to all business situations. You’ll often be more successful if you adjust the energy you bring to the situation, just as in martial arts. Being aggressive isn’t always the right approach.

“If you’re fighting someone who is super aggressive and you’re trying to fight fire with fire you’re going to get hit,” Rosu says. “You’re better of keeping your distance and striking at the right moment if they are using their dominant force too much.” In martial arts and business, how you think is often just as important as the specific actions you take.

Elaine Pofeldt is author of The Million-Dollar, One Person Business (Random House, January 2, 2018), a book looking at how to break $1M in revenue in a business staffed only by the owners.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart