Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: "Fantasy-base" martial arts

Quote Originally Posted by sihing View Post
    Hey Dale,

Don't forget to bring your video camera to tape your fight, since I'm sure with your namesake and vast experience with the Dog Bro, you wouldn't let this chance to prove you point pass by Remember you have to post it on Youtube for it to be considered legitimate.

Have fun

James
    James-

I doubt I need to fly to the Philipines to prove a point... but you are welcome to stop by and see me next time you come down if you really want to see what I can do with the sticks.

Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter View Post
    James-

I doubt I need to fly to the Philipines to prove a point... but you are welcome to stop by and see me next time you come down if you really want to see what I can do with the sticks.
    Not sure if that is some sort of challenge, or you are really being sincere in your willingness to teach me a few things about stickfighting Personally, all though I have dabbled a very wee bit in the sticking fighting stuff on my first trip to LA with Ernie, it's doesn't really interest me at the moment, to much stuff still to work on in my WC training. I may be makin a trip to LA soon, to train with Big Bro Ernie and his crew, so if I'm up for it and have the time, I'll let you know I'm sure it would be a fun time

James

Quote Originally Posted by Sihing73 View Post
    Hello,

While this is not WC I guess it would be of interest to some based on their belief that some systms, Pekiti Tirsia for example in addition to Wing Chun are "fantasy based." Seems like a lot of the advocates of this belief feel that they have the golden apple so to speak. Well, here is an invitation for a Full Contact Stick and Knife Fighting event in the Phillipines. All comers are welcome. Seems to me like a good chance to show just how much "fantasy" is out there and to prove ones own effectiveness. Don't worry, I have it on good authority that similar events will be planned for the US in the future so that some of our members can put the naysayers to shame and prove that they are the only ones with the "real" knowledge to share.

Oh, funny thing is that among many of the Pekiti Tirisa brotherhood, Wing Chun is recognized as being both effective and worth training. But hey what do these guys know, after all our self proclaimed expert has stated they are part of the "fantasy based" group of theoritical fighters.
    You don't need to go to the Phillipines to see the fantasy -- all you need to do is fight with the stick. See if you can do in fighting those things you train to do as you train to do them. Simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Sihing73 View Post

While this is not WC I guess it would be of interest to some based on their belief that some systms, Pekiti Tirsia for example in addition to Wing Chun are "fantasy based."
    If they are, indeed, stick fighting full contact with minimal or no protection, then they are not fanstasy non-fighters. However, fighting with sticks has nothing to do with WC.

If they are training and non-fighting with their WC like most of you guys, then they are theoretical fantasy non-fighters in their non-stickfighting realm.

If they are, indeed, stick fighting full contact with minimal or no protection, then they are not fanstasy non-fighters. However, fighting with sticks has nothing to do with WC.
    Finally, I'm able to post again to this busy thread!

Knifefighter, no wonder you can not see beyond your own experience as you have definately not practised any Wing Chun from the Lee Shing Family. Thankfully lol!

Then again, you obviously have never heard of our 'Seurng Gwan' either, but hey, you've researched Wing Chun well enough to tell me that fighting with sticks is nothing to do with us! In some respects you're right, as I'd never be caught trying to use one of those strange toothpicks!

We tend to prefer the words 'Double Clubs', so you work that one out. Wing Chun is so 'this or that'...
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

If they are training and non-fighting with their WC like most of you guys, then they are theoretical fantasy non-fighters in their non-stickfighting realm.
    Uhhh, Baat Jam Do...
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post

We tend to prefer the words 'Double Clubs', so you work that one out. Wing Chun is so 'this or that'...
    Please post a link to a WC person fighting with the "Double Clubs"... anything like this will do:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6EZE_rmsQs

Please post a link to a WC person fighting with the "Double Clubs"... anything like this will do:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6EZE_rmsQs
    Was that you at the 1:25 - 1:29 mark ?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Yeah, that's Dale. You've got to give him props for what he does. He's no keyboard warrior.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond View Post
    Yeah, that's Dale. You've got to give him props for what he does. He's no keyboard warrior.
    Thought he looked familar, I always give ANYONE props for fighting full contact, anyone.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

What is interesting, in lots of the video that I have seen of Dale, he has a smile on his face most of the time, like he is happy. Why can't he be like that here, lol. I'm sure in a face to face situation he would be cool to hang with, as he is intense about his Martial Art and trains hard obviously, so he has my respect for that. I just don't like the blanket statements about WC training and it's practitioners

James

"I just don't like the blanket statements about WC training and it's practitioners." (James)

***YOU mean you haven't caught on yet?

That's a big part of how he gets his kicks. He thinks he's got a nice easy target to shoot at here. However, given his experiences with Phil and Rahsun last year, my money says that the more people he gets to meet/work out with on this forum - the more the evil Dale will disappear.

We've got to clean up Gotham City, you know...

Thought he looked familar, I always give ANYONE props for fighting full contact, anyone.
    That's a good way to look at it. Many people who've never put themselves out there to fight full contact will make negative comments about fight clips. It takes heart to put yourself out there so all who do get props from me.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

I started this thread in order to suggest the BJJ may not be the paragon of "functional" or "reality" martial arts that Terrence and Dale would have us believe.

Yesterday I was reading the latest issue of "Martial Arts Masters Magazine" and came across an interesting interview. It was entitled "An Inconvenient Truth." That article contained the following quote:

"Today, nearly 95% of all BJJ practitioners are being taught and focusing their efforts on preparing for competitions, including the Mundial. The problem is that 95% of what is being used in competition does not apply, and will not work in a real fight."

That is a comment from Ryron Gracie, son of Rorion, grandson of Helio. and the primary instructor at the Gracie Academy. It suggests the strong possibility that Ryron would agree that there is an element of "fantasy fu" in BJJ, just as in other martial arts. Granted...its a matter of degree. But again, perhaps BJJ isn't the paragon of "reality" fighting that Terrence and Dale would like us to believe. Just thought I would close out my involvement on this thread with words from someone who should have good insight into BJJ itself.

Exclamation

You know something, threads like this sorta eerk the bejebis out of me. Is that even a word?

I don't claim to know how other people train, but Ive been training as a private student for a very long time now. I train a good 4 hours a day for myself and teach on top of that. Thats 4 hours everyday day in and day out year after year.

I think this topic has nothing to do with wing chun and everything to do with individual people.

How does one train should be the question. Not everyone foams at the mouth when they see violence some people actually prefer never to fight. Over the years I have gotten fractures , dislocated joints etc... Thats from training very realistically. Training realistically hurts, not much room for error.

I want to address this next part to every person that remotely bashes wing chun in any fashion.

You personally have no idea what wing chun is or its purpose and have missed the boat entirely. You are the one listening to and creating the silly trash talk.

Maybe your mommy didn't tuck you in at night , who knows what the problem is.

I come to this forum because there are tons of great information here.

I train to know what a person feels like at touch and make my decision on what to do in a fraction of a second.

Yes I agree there is bad wing chun, but its not because a person wasn't taught by any particular linage of wing chun. Mostly its because said teacher is a bad teacher, and guess what every Martial system on the planet has that problem.

Do you guys watch the history channel, if so did you the episode of human weapon that showed wing chun.

Notice they put him against a 18yrold boy to fight, and in my eyes he won that fight , but barely. Did you also notice they didn't put him against the wing chun teacher. Why do you think that is ? Thats right because the wing chun teacher would have just dropped him where he stood.

Besides if you want Wing Chun to work you have to first stop caring about winning (forcing) a fight and just fight.

I want to ask you a question.

If someone you love with your entire heart and soul was in trouble, would you be able to help that person ?

Every person on this earth has a built in mechanism called fight or flight, Ya I know you all heard it before.

I have 2 daughters one is 4 and the other 10months old. They are my life I will protect them at all cost. My life is meaningless without them.

Wing Chun provides all the knowledge and skill you will ever need to defend yourself in a real life fight. Put wing chun in a sports enviroment and we lose hands down. We rely on sensitivity something Gloves any Gloves get in the way.
    Besides I like to win fights fast and efficiently why would I want to play games were the rules don't favor true self-defense. All the ufc and programs like that have done is confuse people more.

Wing chun is close range fighting system , YOU know right before someone takes you to the ground. Ya I heard that 90percent of fights end up on the ground. I bet
    you a good portion of that 10percent are wing chun fighters.

ALLS im saying is stop dissing wang chun Its a great system
    Finally Got my Sifu to share our Ngo Dac Na systematized training online.

You can visit us on Youtube

You can also find us at EnterShaolin.com