Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Try to never mirror your opponent’s stance.

Quote Originally Posted by sihing View Post
    In the past with my TWC training, I preferred the mirrored position over the cross arm. I have fast hands and footwork so I was usually able to get to the blindside and land a few blows before they could re face. Maintaining that position is impossible, if someone wants to turn and face you they will. Plus you have to be ready for the spinning techniques and the fact that the guy might just step into you and take your space.

With the method I train in now, when I end up mirrored position with my lead foot on the outside of his, I'm alot tighter in now than I used to be and am more able to affect their structure and balance due to the different body mechanics that I use now, and when people start to retreat I step forward with the rear foot to get inside there footwork and eat their space to control their centers, rather than maintaining the outside foot position.

Gaining entry is hard to explain on a forum like this, since so many things can happen in the process, too many variables going on at once. Basically for me at my stage of development, I prefer not to use WC structure outside of punching range at all, but more of a natural almost side on stance. WC is range specific when at it's most effective. I have good kicks, and long reach, so I can use jabs, and kicking techniques when out there, but my goal is to get inside their space and use my engine where it works best. If I want to, I can go back to my TWC training and use that stuff as well for outside fighting, which entails using a side neutral stance with Man/wu sau outstretched to face an opponent.

Right now I more interested in learning the inside stuff that this method teaches and developing my engine and hitting to a high level. We will see what my coach wants to do after that. I have lots to learn still, and that is a good feeling

James
    Thanks for sharing, it's good to hear how others view things. And I totally understand/agree with the part I bolded in your quote.

Jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by Ali. R View Post
    What’s the use, it want prove anything…
    ahh, just show it anyway. I for one look forward in seeing it. IMO, just ignore anything that you take as negative. At least you're willing to put your stuff out there!

I don’t know why I even responded too this one…

Quote Originally Posted by monji112000 View Post
    In a real fight you don't have time to see what foot he has forward and what foot you have forward. (well maybe sometimes you do but I never do). The way we use our footwork is very different and how we move is also much different. I personally don't care what foot he has forward. Don't get stuck in one position. Don't get stuck in a predefined rule or classical "mess" that people create. I have yet to see a fight were two people square off ... LOL . If you are talking about a sports fight, thats completely different. I still wouldn't care personally. Ofcourse I don't like boxing footwork so... (doesn't mean I don't think its powerful I just prefer WC footwork).

This is wing chun moving stance (what some may call footwork) female triangle, “Som Got Mah” reverse triangle.

Ali Rahim.

Quote Originally Posted by JPinAZ View Post
    ahh, just show it anyway. I for one look forward in seeing it. IMO, just ignore anything that you take as negative. At least you're willing to put your stuff out there!
    So you guys really want too see me kick a$$… That will be easy, I spar at least 12 different guys a week four has been training just as long as I have, and they are not my students…

First I will have to see if they want the clip published, I never recorded our session together sparring, never thought about it… They’ll probably trip if they knew that I was proving a point about something, and that’s why one or some of them ended up dizzy…

Ali Rahim.

So you guys really want too see me kick a$$… That will be easy, I spar at least 12 different guys a week four has been training just as long as I have, and they are not my students…
    Sounds good.. What do the others do, are they also WCK or something else?
    Jim Hawkins
    M Y V T K F
    "You should have kicked him in the ball_..."—Sifu

First I will have to see if they want the clip published, I never recorded our session together sparring, never thought about it… They’ll probably trip if they knew that I was proving a point about something, and that’s why one or some of them ended up dizzy…

Ali Rahim.
    Ah, the pre-qualifing, other people's responsibility, backpedalling strategy.

Ali Rahim.
    haha, man, you don't have to prove anything to anybody. If you don't do it, no big deal to me. I just like seeing your vids.

Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter View Post
    Ah, the pre-qualifing, other people's responsibility, backpedalling strategy.
    See, took the words right out of my mouth,, “BLOOD SPORT”... Like I said it’s no use…

Ali Rahim.

Quote Originally Posted by YungChun View Post
    Sounds good.. What do the others do, are they also WCK or something else?
    Mostly real good kick boxers and a mix martial artist… I’m not sure what they do in their fighting style there are just good in what they do, h*ll they invited me too join them and I incepted…

Ali Rahim.

Quote Originally Posted by JPinAZ View Post
    haha, man, you don't have to prove anything to anybody. If you don't do it, no big deal to me. I just like seeing your vids.

That's cool.

Ali Rahim.

When one makes bridge contact he should be stealing ones balance while hitting, if you’re good you should have ones balance right from the start…

The main reason why most gets beat to the punch (going outside) each time is, by stepping away from your opponents center on attack, if your opponents simply react to your reaction by making one subtle movement into your center, he will take your balance first…

By stepping away or out, you will eventually have too step back or in too steal one’s balance… As I said earlier; the one with the most direct and subtle movements always take the line first, especially when this is in mind; “attacking the attack”…

Ali Rahim.

I still say that orthodox fighters have a hard time with southpaws and I don't even know why I'm wasting my time with this but . . .

I showed the clip that started this thread at begginers class today. They even knew that no one's just going to stand there while the other guy turns to hit you. They understand that unless you finish it right then and there that there is always a counter to a technique and a counter to that. They also know to hit and move and to not wait to be countered. There many variables that can happen with any given techinque. Here is a "basic" example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgIXqSBYszo
    Last edited by Phil Redmond; 11-15-2007 at 12:59 AM.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Rule of thumb, fight your fight, not your opponents.
    If you like stance A and it mirrors your opponents, changing it is playing HIS game.

A person/fighter should be able to fight from there "natural" position regardless of what the opponent is showing them.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Mostly real good kick boxers and a mix martial artist… I’m not sure what they do in their fighting style there are just good in what they do, h*ll they invited me too join them and I incepted…

Ali Rahim.
    Incepted??!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter View Post
    Incepted??!!!!!!!
    That's an affirmatory