Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Try to never mirror your opponent’s stance.

Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter View Post
    Why would someone have to invest months of training to compete in a tourney to do something his is claiming "is part of his system" that he should be able to currently do.

Whom did you fight full contact to feel this?

Which full contact fights did you observe where it worked?

Oh brother!!!

Enough, can we just get over the fighting crap and stay on the thread subject…

Ali Rahim.

"OMG, there is a problem, you think I should get banned for the stuff I’m posting, this is a great thread, more then one said so… Should I be banned for making this thread yes or no Victor?"

***YOU JUST CREATED A STRAWMAN and then proceeded to throw rocks at it.

You know...and I know...and everybody else knows...

that I haven't called for you to be banned because of this thread.

So it's you that's showing disrespect by trying to even play that strawman card. As if people are actually stupid enough to buy into your attempts to paint me as a "ban Ali guy" based upon what you've said on this thread.

You need to start giving people a lot more credit than you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali. R View Post
    Oh brother!!!

Enough, can we just get over the fighting crap and stay on the thread subject…
    Isn't that the bottom line... whether or not it works in fighting? How would one know, otherwise?

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimatewingchun View Post
    "Two questions, what body mechanics or footwork methods does TWC contain that will allow you to control someone's Central Axis? In your opinion, what does one need to do or have within their body structure/mechanics/footwork patterns to be able to do just that?" (J)

***BUT THAT'S A BIG POINT I was trying to make much earlier on the thread. The blindside/mirrored lead strategy is used to try and penetrate his defenses from the longer range so that the central axis will be exposed and vulnerable to being controlled.

It's a means of trying to gain entry that sets up a possible positional advantage - from which the central axis can be attacked.

And btw....I'm going to continue using the term COM (center-of-mass) to define this. I first saw the term in David Peterson's book on WSL - and I'm convinced that he was using it to define the VERTICAL LINE we discussed earlier. I like his term better than how I used to refer to it (attacking the center)...since his term makes it clear that we are not necessarily referring to the opponent's main centerline.

One can easily make that mistake when simply referring to attacking "his center", imo.
    Okay, I accept your defintion of COM to mean Central Axis, no problem there.

IMO, since I have experience using mirrored fighting tactics and such, I still don't see how that tactic/strategy will effect someones's COM? Basically, like was demonstrated in the vid of Cheung that I provide with the boxer, when you go for that position I could easily follow you, since you movement is longer than stepping straighter in. One could easily for example put up a lan sau and step into your central axis as well when your positioned in a mirrored setup, all while you are stepping in that position. I've done it against people that tried it on me (with them failing) and tried it as well against those that exclusively use the COM method (with failure as well).

Maybe more explaination is required as to how and why it works to make the COM vulnerable and controlled, like you said in your post.

James

You know...and I know...and everybody else knows...

that I haven't called for you to be banned because of this thread..
    Victor, if you have read my post, you will see that I didn’t charge you with anything, calm down. I just asked I question…

Victor, why do I have too fight with you (I won’t), and you with me? Redmond and I have not fought… What use does this make, let’s just stop it; it’s just useless you said it yourself in some words “who cares” right, so let’s stop please…

And as for the “straw man”: let’s go see the “Wiz” together, and stop all this fighting (I WON’T FIGHT BACK)…

Ali Rahim.
    Last edited by Ali. R; 11-16-2007 at 01:03 PM.

sorry I wrote stream of thought charged with 2 volcanic strength coffee's running to teach this morning ..whats a paragraph ? ....I wont bore you with paragraphs , but i try to use commas now... I'll try harder to write more better.

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    sorry I wrote stream of thought charged with 2 volcanic strength coffee's running to teach this morning ..whats a paragraph ? ....I wont bore you with paragraphs , but i try to use commas now...
    LOL. thats great stuff man. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter View Post
    Isn't that the bottom line... whether or not it works in fighting? How would one know, otherwise?
    I know, and if you don't I'm not hurting anyone too prove a point...

Ok I see your point, let’s all just kill each other too verify a post statement…
    Sounds fair, I think you may have something there, don’t post any clips unless one is prepared too draw blood, and you’re not someone other then myself (Ali) or as Victor said: (Cedric), that kinda have a good ring to it, Huh…

I’m not hurting anyone too prove a point, I’m way bigger then that and I’m no kid…

Ali Rahim.

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    sorry I wrote stream of thought charged with 2 volcanic strength coffee's running to teach this morning ..whats a paragraph ? ....I wont bore you with paragraphs , but i try to use commas now... I'll try harder to write more better.
    It's all good, I love your post...

from k's post #108

I would like to point out that i am using Kev's post to reiterate a point that was made and not to in any way troll or disrespect him...i like this statement...

(...it doesnt matter what lead leg you adopt when at the flank angling into as the dummy side entry, and forwards to the available targets to strike and or unbalance as people say...the later section of chum kil teaches this when we do double bong sao's...either leg can lead regardless what side you attack...).

I like the fact that he reference the form Chum Kil to support his post.
    So here is an opinoin from the 'new guy' ...

From looking at Ali's video at the start did anyone notice that he says several times that he is catching his attacker square. He did demonstrate that going to the outside works but at the same time it looks as though it will allow attacker to recover quickly. When Ali pivots into the strike its looks like a solid attack right to the center of the guy in the blue scrubs. No easy way to recover when caught and hit square. Using the mirrored stance is a very good attack/defense depending on how you follow through, just as Phil demonstrated, however it does attack right into the persons defensive structure which will involve a little more to actually reach the center.
    I am not saying that working with a mirrored stance doesnt allow you to control a persons center because Phil's demo shows that it can be done. I, however, like Alis explaination of how the simple and concise pivot puts you directly on the center and hits the person SQUARE down the middle.

Small concise movements will allow you to react and attack while the opponent is still committed and doing his attack. In ALIs video...the attacker was still finishing his punch as ALI was already striking to the center of the pivot... catching him square. As there are no such things as 'heat seeker' punches...taking advantage of the opponents commitment to attack is good sense.

P.S. This is a **** good thread!!!

~Cg~
    Last edited by Graychuan; 11-16-2007 at 02:17 PM. Reason: mispell as usual...lol

I never said it couldn’t work either… Unlike “Super Trap”, I won’t “take the long way home”…

Ali Rahim.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali. R View Post
    I know, and if you don't I'm not hurting anyone too prove a point...

Ok I see your point, let’s all just kill each other too verify a post statement…
    Sounds fair, I think you may have something there, don’t post any clips unless one is prepared too draw blood, and you’re not someone other then myself (Ali) or as Victor said: (Cedric), that kinda have a good ring to it, Huh…

I’m not hurting anyone too prove a point, I’m way bigger then that and I’m no kid…

Ali Rahim.
    Spoken like a true WC theroretical fanstasy non-fighter.

And that's the whole point.

NOBODY CARES, Ali/Cedric...

about your hostility for TWC.
    about your hostility for Phil Redmond.
    about your total misunderstanding of blindside/mirrored lead moves.
    about your vids that basically demonstrate nothing.
    about whether or not you respect me (or anyone else).
    about how you got yet another guy to come on a thread to play set up man for you.

Nobody cares!
    heh, I care

Regardless of any intentions anyone here might ASSUME about another - for a while, Ali did provoke some interesting discussions on this forum. Something that's VERY rare around here these days.. I give him kudos for at least making the effort! Who knows, maybe it was a vieled slam against TWC, and who knows, maybe it wasn't Who cares - at least it had people TALKING, and discussing! now it's all personal bickering. Way I see it, Ali and Phil were getting along fine..

now, back on to the soap opera....

Jonathan
    Last edited by JPinAZ; 11-16-2007 at 02:45 PM.

"So if it was interpreted that ALI's post was directed specifically at TWC it came about from Phil's post right afterwards. I dIdnt see any specific references to TWC until Phil made them in post # 3....

A subtle slam at TWC? How nice."

***A SUBTLE SLAM at TWC is exactly right. Is it a better approach than what Cedric's done in the past? Yeah. I'll give him that. But the previous track record under various incarnations/signatures was horrendous. Enough to get him banned, in fact.

So what do you expect when the very first thread he does in this latest incarnation is a slam at TWC blindside strategy? Even if it is more subtle than in the past. So what?

And as for fighting on the blindside from mirrored leads - it has its advantages and there are ways to try and counter it. True. Just another GOOD tool to have in your toolbox. A very good tool, in fact.

But not the only tool.
    While we don't call it 'blind side strategy', nor do I do it like the first video that was posted, HFY also fights in a match/mirrored alignment (as well as crossed stance, no preference, take what you get and deal with it). So, should I now say he was making a slam against HFY too? Should I then get all upset and talk crap?
    C'mon, it's not that big of a deal - he didn't say TWC, or anything else.

Jonathan
    Last edited by JPinAZ; 11-16-2007 at 03:19 PM.

"clinch, clinch, clinch"

Quote Originally Posted by sihing View Post
    Grapplers solution, not necessarily ours
    I call that the "can't beat'em join'em" approach