Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Try to never mirror your opponent’s stance.

How educational and enlightening that your post are to this subject gentlemen, good job!

Ali Rahim.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Rule of thumb, fight your fight, not your opponents.
    If you like stance A and it mirrors your opponents, changing it is playing HIS game.

A person/fighter should be able to fight from there "natural" position regardless of what the opponent is showing them.

Now that’s true,

As said: If you’re right-handed, fight right-handed, if your left-handed fight left–handed…

Quote Originally Posted by Ali. R View Post
    Now that’s true,

As said: If you’re right-handed, fight right-handed, if your left-handed fight left–handed…
    Crap..

I'm left handed but I fight right handed..

I would prefer to fight both handed tho..
    Jim Hawkins
    M Y V T K F
    "You should have kicked him in the ball_..."—Sifu

Uh...well, I mean is that if it feels more natural to fight orthodox, then fight othodox, if you prefer strong side lead, then do that, just don't change it based on what your opponent does.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by YungChun View Post
    Crap..

I'm left handed but I fight right handed..

I would prefer to fight both handed tho..

I’m glad we all agree:

Just as I said in the opening of this thread;

"But in most wing chun systems they fight dominate hand up front, so adjust accordantly"…

Uh...well, I mean is that if it feels more natural to fight orthodox, then fight othodox, if you prefer strong side lead, then do that, just don't change it based on what your opponent does.
    You have to "adapt" to what you opponent does. If it means changing your stance then you'd better be able to do. Movements in the Wing Chun forms are done equally on both sides.
    We teach students to be equally proficient on both sides. I can show you better than I can tell you.
    Hopefully I'll see you in T.O.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond View Post
    You have to "adapt" to what you opponent does. If it means changing your stance then you'd better be able to do. Movements in the Wing Chun forms are done equally on both sides.
    We teach students to be equally proficient on both sides. I can show you better than I can tell you.

How so true, but remember to take the shortest rout in…

As I said earlier:

The main reason why most get beat to the punch (going outside) each time is, by stepping away from your opponents center on attack, if your opponent simply react to your reaction by making one subtle movement into your center, he will take your balance first…

By stepping away or out, you will eventually have too step back or in too steal one’s balance… As I said earlier; the one with the most direct and subtle movements always take the line first, especially when this is in mind; “attacking the attack”…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feLvs4-q6tE

Ali Rahim.

You have to "adapt" to what you opponent does. If it means changing your
    stance then you'd better be able to do. Movements in the Wing Chun forms
    are done equally on both sides. We teach students to be equally
    proficient on both sides. I can show you better than I can tell you.
    Off course you have to be able to fight in any position, the question is, if you have a choice, do you step in a mirrored position and away from your opponents center axis, or into his center axis x-armed? It seems when I was training in TWC, and when I view TWC material, written or video, they emphazise blindside fighting and stepping away most of the time. Even in those recent Cheung video's you posted, with him and Sayah, usually he moves away from Joe when he is attacked, not into him effecting his balance and centerline. e.g. 1)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4qKtjk6JHk
    2) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=162NkojmIvI
    both instances he steps away from Joe on most occasions, whether attacking or defending. To me when defending and stepping away, you are using distance and space to defend, not structure or feeling, plus it is more movement to move back then have to move in again to regain position. WC is close quarters, why go in & out of range?

I agree Phil, that this stuff could be shown in person to one another much easier than here, that is why we are limited in our discussions here, even if video is involved And again, this is nothing personal, just a discussion on why things are done the way they are, trying to be non political here and being honest with what I see.

James

Adapting is fine as long as you don't play into your opponents strengths

OMG, that’s a great post, I just love it…

Ali Rahim.

That's fine, but how do you know what your opponents strengths are when you never met the man before and you know nothing about him, like in a random situation on the street? What I like about WC, is that it is universal and based upon my movement and also the biomechanics of your opponents movements (I learn to make myself structurally strong, and ready to pounce, while being setup to attack his power generation points and the weak structure areas on him). The problem is I still have to be able to get the job done, which require lots of training and testing with your training partners and others, sitting around thinking about won't do it, "To know and not do, is not to know". Nothing comes easy

James

P.S. I know already Terence, that you think this is all fantasy thinking, and I realize that I may not be able to do this against all fighters, lol. Sometimes the other guy is so good it doesn't matter what you do, they are still just a better, more effective fighter than yourself. That is when the baseball bat comes into play

That's fine, but how do you know what your opponents strengths are when you never met the man before and you know nothing about him, like in a random situation on the street? What I like about WC, is that it is universal and based upon my movement and also the biomechanics of your opponents movements (I learn to make myself structurally strong, and ready to pounce, while being setup to attack his power generation points and the weak structure areas on him). The problem is I still have to be able to get the job done, which require lots of training and testing with your training partners and others, sitting around thinking about won't do it, "To know and not do, is not to know". Nothing comes easy
    The whole point of "fighting YOUR fight" is that we DON'T know the other persons strengths.
    I train to fight "both ways", makes no difference to me, used to drive my boxing coaches crazy.

The whole point of "fighting YOUR fight" is that we DON'T know the other persons strengths.
    I train to fight "both ways", makes no difference to me, used to drive my boxing coaches crazy.
    Sanjoro,

I may be heading down your way soon to share some WC with people I know down there, sort of a mini seminar, it would be cool to meet up. If and when it happens I will let you know

James
    Last edited by sihing; 11-15-2007 at 11:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sihing View Post
    Sanjoro,

I may be heading down your way soon to share some people I know down there, sort of a mini seminar, it would be cool to meet up. If and when it happens I will let you know

James
    Sounds good to me, always looking to get my ass kicked

Sounds good to me, always looking to get my ass kicked
    Me too.....