Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Emei Crane

Quote Originally Posted by SaintSage View Post
    Recently in one of my theology classes we were talking about how realizing you're a bad Christian is one of the requirements of being a good Christian. Until you realize you're being a good Chrisitian in which case you're being a bad Christian... Any similar ideas in your flavor of Buddhism?
    Hegemony. They're keeping you down, man. Can't you see this is the morality of a decadent autocracy? They're playing with morality and self-knowlege, but there's no value to what they're saying. All they're saying is that you're neve good. Even if you realize you're a bad christian, you're doing this in order to be a good christian, and if you have the knowledge that realizing you're a bad christian is in fact a marker that you're a good one, you're still a bad one because you have the knowlege of this system, and you can never be good.

The point is, why try in a self-defeating system?

The only way to achieve goodness is to be a naive, blind idiot, with no motivation, no loyalty, and an unhealthy predilection for self-loathing--you know, kind of why the Romans hated the new religion.

If we're going to derail my thread, let's at least have an atheist vs. theist discussion, as I'm much more inclined to participate in that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    Hegemony. They're keeping you down, man. Can't you see this is the morality of a decadent autocracy? They're playing with morality and self-knowlege, but there's no value to what they're saying. All they're saying is that you're neve good. Even if you realize you're a bad christian, you're doing this in order to be a good christian, and if you have the knowledge that realizing you're a bad christian is in fact a marker that you're a good one, you're still a bad one because you have the knowlege of this system, and you can never be good.

The point is, why try in a self-defeating system?

The only way to achieve goodness is to be a naive, blind idiot, with no motivation, no loyalty, and an unhealthy predilection for self-loathing--you know, kind of why the Romans hated the new religion.

If we're going to derail my thread, let's at least have an atheist vs. theist discussion, as I'm much more inclined to participate in that one.

Derail your thread? I figured you wouldn't mind if someone changed the subject away from "SD $ucks and so do you." There really isn't a debate here. You look at something one way I look at it another; I can never know your experience and you can never really know mine. When it comes to something as basic (and complex) as our life's guiding philosophies only experience can really shake things up. I can argue that realizing our brokeness is actualy a liberating experience because from there you can work to solve the problem, but no doubt you've heard the argument and already have a counter- which I will have already heard etc. etc. I think the theist/atheist debate is rediculous the majority of the time. Both the theists and atheists seem to miss the other persons point most of the time.

Hmm... I have a distinct feeling you may counter with an experience vs. reason debate...

Ah...yes...the old you can't know my perspective theorem. Well, I knew that perspective well enough for 20 some years........I'm afriad I know them both intimately.

Anyways, I was just joking about re-derailing the thread.

But how about that global warming, huh? What a ***** that thing is........

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    Ah...yes...the old you can't know my perspective theorem. Well, I knew that perspective well enough for 20 some years........I'm afriad I know them both intimately.

Anyways, I was just joking about re-derailing the thread.

But how about that global warming, huh? What a ***** that thing is........
    I figured you where joking, sorry if I came off defensive, it was meant to be kidding around. (One reason I hate internet communication...)

Perspective for me is a big thing. In fact, I appreciate what you have to say because you have lived both sides of that coin. I hate to sound like a relativist, but really, you've gotta do your thing and I've gotta do mine.

Oh, and don't even get me started on global warming. It's how people act and react to the very idea that just rubs me the wrong way. It's like listening to children bickering with a college vocabulary.

LOL....that's a great description, man.......