Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Throwing Stars

Drache Guest
    Does anyone know the "original" or best shape for a throwing star?

~Drache~

Nutt'nhunny Guest

how much

shuri= back hand
    ken=sword.

Best are the darts or knife looking ones. The stars snagged on clothing and werent used as much.

They were a harrassing or distracting weapon. They would also throw 5 or more at once to make their escape. They were thrown to maim for escaping or distracing purposes. They had blow guns for stealth kills.

SevenStar Guest
    ken = "sword"? I was always taught that it was "fist"

sword components
    mune = back of sword
    ha = cutting edge of sword
    hi = grooves of sword
    iaito = dull metal practice sword
    jihada = edge steel
    kissaki = point
    boshi = tempered point

types of swords
    daito
    katana
    wakizashi
    tachi

I've never heard "ken" refer to a sword, but I could be wrong...

"Just because I joke around sometimes doesn't mean I'm serious about kung-fu.
    " - nightair

Longquan Guest

Kenjutsu, Kendo

'nuff said.

Pointy Guest

shuriken / shoken ?

Which is which? I mean I've seen in some books that stars are being called shoken and the straight dartlike is shuriken and sometimes it is the other way around. Or is there any difference?

Oh yeah, and I too remember making some ninja weapons with my brother when we were young. We used all kinds of old scrap metal parts from around our uncles farm and welded some really lethal stuff. Our guardian angels have propably got some gray hair and worked overtime saving us from accidents.

Do you remember some American ninja where the guy was making some weapons for himself. Swords by just using the standard power tools without any smithing and such. It's pretty hilarious...

"Pain is only natures way of telling you're in terrible agony"

Kristoffer Guest
    http://www.aikidofaq.com/bilder/humor/wacky.gif.html

hehe

~K~
    "maybe not in combat..... but think of the chicks man, the chicks!"

Origami Shuriken

Cool origami shuriken - follow this link for a free download how-to and printable patterns.
    by ツトム

Materials (Other)
    やや格好いい手裏剣(無料)

無料
    オリジナル創作
    手裏剣

手裏剣専用折り紙図柄と、折り方のデータです。

折り紙における手裏剣は、忍者好きにとって非常に重要な存在ですが、ピンクやミドリなどの紙で作るとファン シーになりすぎ、忍者らしさが失われてしまうという重大な問題がありました。
    仕方がないので「黒や銀の紙でどうにかする」という対策がとられてきましたが、これを使えば【やや格好いい 手裏剣】が出来上がります。

データ形式:pdf(A4サイズ)
    ※印刷するプリンタによりインクが水ににじむ場合がございます。気を付けてお使いください。
    ※商用利用はご遠慮ください。個人でお楽しみください。

This is the data of how to fold the origami of Ninja star of Japan.
    You can make Ninja star by printing.

This is Free Download data!
    You can download the data When you press red [ 無料ダウンロード ] button.
    You can make it cool by making it carefully.
    Please enjoy Ninja!

size-A4 pdf data
    Non-commercial use only
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Amante Mariñas

81-year-old carries on a Filipino martial arts tradition

Amante P. Marinas, 81, teaches students a type of martial art known as Pananandata at his Spotsylvania County, Va., home on Tuesday, July 6, 2021. Marinas has been practicing the technique since he was eight-years-old. (Peter Cihelka/The Free Lance-Star via AP)
    By Rob Hedelt, The Free Lance-Star | AP
    July 18, 2021|Updated yesterday at 9:01 a.m. EDT

SPOTSYLVANIA, Va. — When he was growing up in the Philippines, Amante Mariñas was fascinated with watching his great uncle practice martial arts.

At 8 years old, Mariñas began to learn the movements and forms of the long-pole martial art of pananandata. Working alongside his uncle, he came to believe that such workouts were important to his mind and body.

Mariñas is 81 now, and on a good day, puts in three to four hours working out in his Spotsylvania County backyard. There, he deliberately practices hand-fighting, as well as martial arts with a long pole and short sticks, throwing knives, an ax, a blow gun and a bow and arrow.

The discipline and work ethic he hewed to as a chemical engineer means he not only works out each day, but keeps a log of every minute spent—and every knife, ax and arrow sent into targets.

“I’ve thrown knives close to 1.5 million times, and shot the blowgun 800,000 times,” he said.

Mariñas moved from his native country to New York City in 1973, moving on from the long pole discipline of his great uncle to other fighting styles using different weapons. He taught himself those new disciplines, seeking out whatever sources existed to help him in his instructional journey.

“I learned how to throw knives in my basement in Staten Island,” he said. “There, I had to throw sidearm so it didn’t hit the ceiling.

Before long, he was teaching other people who were drawn to his workouts at Flushing Meadows Park in Queens. Seven of his books on martial arts have been published since moving to this area in 1997, and they detail styles of Filipino martial arts not fully covered before. They include “The Art of Throwing,” “Blowgun Techniques,” and “Archery for Beginners.”

Mariñas continues to give private lessons in pananandata, which he said is a fighting system from Central Luzon in the Philippines.

He’s had more than 100 articles published in martial arts magazines, some featuring photos of him and his son, Amante Jr., a New York City police detective.

I visited Mariñas recently at his home, where he showed me the workout and practice stations he’s created in his backyard. He uses hanging pieces of wood and large soda bottles as targets for his long pole and short sticks, and there are targets for knives, axes and arrows safely tucked around the yard.

“The notes I kept in learning and practicing each of the disciplines were invaluable in writing the books,” he said. “After the first one or two, I kind of had learned the process.”

Mariñas said that once he moved to Spotsylvania County—his sons had attended the University of Mary Washington and he had other relatives in the area—word got out that he taught martial arts and students sought him out.

“I now teach one or two students at a time, here in my backyard,” he said. “Most of my students are retired officers of some type, one a retired police captain, another a U.S. Army vet, still another a retired air marshal.”

He keeps teaching and writing because he likes to pass along what he’s learned, and because he’s been lonely since his wife died of cancer a few years ago. He also enjoys the company.

His students call him “Po,” an honorific for an older person in the Philippines, and he doesn’t just see them as students.

“I treat them as friends, and look forward to them coming to learn,” he said.

He’s taught some students for a long time—one woman has been with him since 2000.

Mariñas said he had a group of air marshals come to learn to use extendable batons, and a police captain who wanted to learn disarming techniques—all skills in his martial arts wheelhouse.

“We have fun, as I will challenge them at times, telling them that if they stick four knives in a row, I’ll treat them to coffee,” he said laughing. “Then they come back at me and ask if two hits will get them half a cup.”

He even designed his own style of throwing knife, and said he has several finished manuscripts he still wants to get published on fighting styles and weapons he hasn’t fully covered yet.

“I’d like to get to having 20 books published. I’m a half dozen or so short of that now,” he said. “I hope that works out, but if the manuscripts I’ve finished don’t get published, I’ll just leave them to my grandchildren. I enjoy the writing and it keeps me sharp.”

I can attest to that after watching the spry 81-year-old going through his workout, despite an infected left hand that kept him from hitting the bullseye with an arrow.

But he came pretty darned close, and a follow-up shot found dead center despite pain from holding the bow.

“I’ll get this fixed up and be back on target again soon,” he said.
    Amante Mariñas wrote several articles on throwing weapons for Kung Fu Tai Chi over the years.
    See:
    1994 Spring
    1994 Summer
    2008 May/June
    January + February 2016
    Winter 2019

Quote Originally Posted by wu_de36 View Post
    Pananandata Knife Throwing by Amonte P. Marinas Sr. is good as well.
    threads
    Give-it-up-to-the-elderly!!!!!
    Throwing-Stars
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Throwing Stars legal in Indiana

Throwing stars are now legal in Indiana, delighting mall ninjas everywhere
    DAVID PESCOVITZ 4:06 PM MON FEB 6, 2023

image: Zysko Sergii/Shutterstock
    Axe throwing bars has become quite popular! After all, what's not love about crowds of people throwing heavy sharp objects while drinking alcohol? For those who prefer a more "exotic" variation on the theme, apparently some of the axe throwing pubs are also offering throwing stars! An elegant weapon for a more civilized age, Japanese throwing stars, aka shuriken, are actually illegal in many part of the US, including California, New York, and, for the moment, Indiana. However, if the Hoosier State's Senate Bill 77 passes, throwing stars will become legal for recreational use there.

Senate Bill 77 "actually came from a constituent who owns a putt-putt golf course called Ninja Golf," says [State Sen. Linda] Rogers. "Nearly everyone that I spoke with said, 'Hey, look, if we can throw axes, we can certainly throw throwing stars.'" […]

The bill already passed the Indiana Senate by a 48 to 1 margin. Next it goes to the State House.

From WGN9:

"It's a double-edged sword," said Richard Deschain, co-owner of Ragnarok Axe Throwing LLC in Indianapolis. He said throwing star blades can get bent and hooked over, increasing someone's odds of getting cut.

"I would say the easiest way for that to have any kind of solution is to require a layered Kevlar glove to be worn when they're throwing any other object like a throwing star," he said.
    Banning-martial-arts-weapons
    Throwing-Stars
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Where ever I Am; today, West Virginia, US of A, NA, N of EUdMexico
    Blog Entries

If Wishes Were Shakken

I got that what we refer to as throwing stars are called Shakken and double pointed spikes are Shuriken...I got that notion around a person teaching Bujinkai something.-Ernie Moore Jr.

No_Know
    There are four lights...¼ impulse...all donations can be sent at PayPal.com to qumpreyndweth@juno.com; vurecords.com