Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any thoughts on hypnosis

Any thoughts on hypnosis

I have only recently started in the internal arts but have many years with karate/kung fu and am toying with the idea of hypnosis to help me along with the internal. It works for sports performace so why not use it to help techniques be loose and relaxed. Any thoughts/feedback would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

cjurakpt Guest
    http://www.taichili.com/tai_chi_and_hypnotherapy.htm

Sifu Pekor is both a national push-hands champion, a certified hypnotherapist and all around mensch (and a good friend of mine); he also has a bunch of stuff on Youtube and is always more than willing to communicate with people via e-mail

Thanks

thanks for the info, the website looks very interesting

I am glad you started the topic.

I have been using Hypnosis for about a year now to improve my training and personal development. I use:

Brian Weiss guided Meditation - great to relax and unwind to. Also great for healing the body as it has a lot of internal healing work. Its passive so you just lay back, relax and absorb.

Paul McKenna - Various tapes. They improve my motivation, confidence, attitude and much more. They are quite short and varied so are easy to use.

Anthony Robbins - Not hypnosis but more NLP (Neuro Lingustic Programming). Top athletes use him to increase motivation and performance. I have done his work book and listen to 'Daily Magic' whilst running. Highly recommended. He is basically a peak performance coach.

I believe in training the mind as equally as training the body.

If you get into using self Hypnosis it can be really enjoyable. An hour of listening is much more productive than an hour watching T.V.
    Thanks

Leigh Robinson

Hand forged, Hand Folded Japanese and Chinese Swords including Katana, Jian, Dao, Qiang (spear)
    http://www.masterforge.co.uk

Education Centre & Forum for Bladed Weaponry.
    http://www.masterforge.co.uk/forums/

Chinese Sword Society UK
    http://www.chineseswordsocietyuk.com

Has there been a marked improvement with your abilities/skill since using hypno and/or in what way have you found it beneficial?

I wan't to stay loose and relaxed in all my techniques but find my self tensing up under pressure. Do you think it would help in this area.

Thanks

cjurakpt Guest
    NLP, in case you are wondering, is based largely on Eriksonian Cognitive Behavior Therapy, and can be very effective in many regards, from retraining patterns of behavior, to facilitating rapport with students / clients to selling people cars / martial arts contracts to picking up strange woman in bars

it involves bother verbal and body language: both picking up what the other person is saying / doing and mirroring it back to them in various ways to establish a sense of ease or rapport

personally, I use a few bits and pieces when taking a medical history with new patients and I also use a lot of it when working with pediatric patients with spectrum diagnoses, especially Asperger's with generally good effect...

Do you mean NLC or NLP? It sounds like you're talking about NLC.

cjurakpt Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by NJM View Post
    Do you mean NLC or NLP? It sounds like you're talking about NLC.
    I don't know NLC - I;m talking about NLP - Neuro Linguistic Programming

I found that using hypnosis gets me to relax to a deep level. After using the hypnosis tapes for nearly a year I can get to quite a profound level. Its deep enough that I can no longer feel my body and the outside world doesn't exists. All I experience is the guiding voice from the CD. My mind doesn't even process it, it just absorbs the sound.

Being used to this feeling, I can transfer it over to my Taiji and Qi Gong practice. I can quickly get into a deep meditative state where I just explore the feelings and sensations in my body.

After learning how to relax with hypnosis I have transferred that over into my training. I find it really helps and is well worth it.

Highly recommended.
    Thanks

Leigh Robinson

Hand forged, Hand Folded Japanese and Chinese Swords including Katana, Jian, Dao, Qiang (spear)
    http://www.masterforge.co.uk

Education Centre & Forum for Bladed Weaponry.
    http://www.masterforge.co.uk/forums/

Chinese Sword Society UK
    http://www.chineseswordsocietyuk.com

Quote Originally Posted by cjurakpt View Post
    I don't know NLC - I;m talking about NLP - Neuro Linguistic Programming
    Neuro-linguistic programming has no supporting scientific evidence. Neuro-linguistic conditioning does.

"Hypnosis" as we know it is nothing more than schema filling.

cjurakpt Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by NJM View Post
    Neuro-linguistic programming has no supporting scientific evidence. Neuro-linguistic conditioning does..
    so what is the difference btw NLP and NLC? are there technical differences between the approaches, or did someone simply take NLP, change the name and then conduct research?

Quote Originally Posted by cjurakpt View Post
    or did someone simply take NLP, change the name and then conduct research?
    more like the other way around, in a sense.

Tony Robbins, NLP and a fire walking fail

I remember doing some research in college on a fire walking fail in India as part of a Cultural Anthropology course.

Dozens Burned During Tony Robbins Motivational Exercise
    June 24, 20166:18 PM ET
    MERRIT KENNEDY

Motivational speaker Tony Robbins is interviewed on the Fox Business Network in March. Dozens of people were burned in a coal-walking exercise at one of his seminars.
    Richard Drew/AP

They were hoping to conquer their fears by walking over a bed of hot coals. But instead, dozens of people participating in a Dallas event hosted by motivational speaker Tony Robbins were treated for burns.

As a result of walking across coals, "a large number of these people sustained burn injuries to their feet and lower extremities," Jason Evans, a spokesman for the Dallas Fire-Rescue Department, said in a statement. Approximately 30-40 people were injured. Most elected to be treated at the scene, and five opted to go to a local hospital for evaluation.

According to Robbins' website, the coal-walking exercise is meant to "turn fear into power." The site reads: "Once you start doing what you thought was impossible, you'll conquer the other fires of your life with ease."

Jennifer Connelly, a spokeswoman for Robbins, tells the Two-Way that 7,000 attendees at the "Unleash Your Power Within" seminar successfully walked across the coals. She adds that it's been a "celebrated part of this event for 35 years." The walk typically causes "fewer than 1% of participants [to] experience 'hot spots' which is similar to a sunburn which can be treated with aloe."

Connelly suggests there was "no need for emergency personnel":
    "Someone not familiar with the process of the fire walk called 911 reporting the need for emergency services vehicles to be dispatched. While there was no need for emergency personnel we are grateful to the quick and robust response from Dallas emergency services, only 5 of 7,000 participants requested any examination beyond what was readily available on site."
    This isn't the first time participants at a Tony Robbins seminar have sustained burns. As The Associated Press reports, "21 out of 6,000 people who walked on hot coals at a Robbins event in 2012 in California were treated for burns."

Video posted by CBS DFW showed medical workers treating an injured woman sitting on a gurney. Another video shows a barefoot injured man hobbling alongside medics.

The event organizers had the proper permits for the coal walk, Evans tells NPR, including "a permit for Flammable and Combustible Liquids" and "a permit for Open Burning/Recreational Fires."

Walking across hot coals does have its advocates. CBS DFW spoke with uninjured participant Tish Brazil: "From a numbers perspective that result is negligible, and I don't mean to diminish anything that's happened to anybody. But there are some coaching techniques, really specific strategies, that he gives people."

Evans adds that from the fire department's perspective, coal walking "is something we don't encourage or condone under any circumstances." However, he says, "we have a duty to service those in need regardless of whether we condone their actions; and that is just what we did."
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

My thoughts on Hypnosis.

Not much. One time I got kicked off the stage by the Amazing Kreskin.

Apparently I am one of those people who can't be hypnotized because according to the theory, I am unwilling to give up control to anyone else.

In my opinion, that's not necessarily a bad thing. I think it's probably a positive trait.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Was this Tony Robbins actually hypnotizing them to firewalk? It sounds more like a mind-over-matter exercise than hypnosis or even 'self-hypnosis'.

I do believe that hypnosis can allow people to access memories/information that are in the subconscious, among other things. In other words, IMO it does work, but not necessarily on every person or in every circumstance.

Several years ago, I went to an experienced hypnotherapist who successfully worked with and was highly recommended by a guy I knew who had a very good BS meter. For whatever reason, she could not hypnotize me, and believe me, she tried (and I tried my best to allow myself to be hypnotized). I believe her work is very legitimate, but it just didn't happen for me at that time.