Thread: MMA deaths

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by CFT View Post
    I'd say fighters should have CT scans of their heads to see if their are any obvious abnormalities.

5 fights within one year of taking up a sport seems exccessive though?
    i agree its a lot for his first year, but doesnt say how many were amateur rules and if he had a back ground in combat sports, if he came in with a wrestling background its not that many fights especailly if alot were with AM and not pro rules

I didn't think anyone, even AM, fought with that much regularity? Roughly every 10 weeks - just enough to recover and peak, IMO.

First MMA fight

I wonder if he had a condition that lead to this...

A thirty-five-year-old Ontario resident died after competing in his first amateur mixed martial arts bout in Port Huran, Mich., on Friday.

Nigerian-born Pablo Elochukwu, who recently moved to Ontario in 2012, was apparently very excited to compete in his first MMA bout. Unfortunately, it would be his last.

The heavyweight, who sources say weighed 265 pounds for his MMA debut on Friday and was also a three-time gold-medal winner on the local grappling circuit, was competing in an unsanctioned event in Port Huron, Mich. According to sources, neither he nor his opponent was required to undergo pre-fight medicals for their bout.

The first two rounds were said to have been mostly grappling, but the inexperienced fighters both began showcasing signs of fatigue, especially in between rounds two and three.

Sometime in the third round, Elochukwu was mounted and was not intelligently defending what were deemed to be soft hammer fists. The referee made the decision to halt the bout, potentially believing that Pablo was not going to be able to improve the position he was in.

Elochukwu appeared to be fine during the announcement of the final decision and walked away on his own accord, albeit, with some assistance to ensure the fatigued fighter could make it to a seat.

When he did sit down, those around him noticed something was wrong and offered him some orange juice, believing his blood sugar may have dropped significantly. He then fell off the chair, where paramedics were called in to assist.

They showed up within minutes and apparently revived him, but took him away to be safe, likely to the nearest hospital. Shortly thereafter, Elochukwu passed away, and it is currently unknown if he did so en route to the hospital, or at the medical facility.

An autopsy was expected to be performed Monday to determine the cause of death.

Source: http://www.sportsnet.ca/mma/ufc/onta...teur-mma-bout/

So tragic

Good find, Brule. The webnews on my newsfeed this morning didn't have a name released yet. We'll have to stay tuned for the autopsy report.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Still inconclusive

There has been a call for regulation in Michigan.

Tests continue after autopsy on city MMA fighter finds no trauma

Photo courtesy of LeAnn Kobe Hamilton's Felix Pablo Elochukwu in Port Huron, Mich., on Saturday, just before his first mixed martial arts bout. The 35-year-old died not long after the fight.

Sidebar

THE RULES HERE AND THERE

Until Wednesday, when a new law was passed by the state house of representatives, amateur MMA was legal but not regulated in Michigan. This meant extensive pre-fight medical exams — blood tests, CT scans and other checks — were not required for amateurs as they would be for professionals, who are regulated in the state.

It also meant there were no official checks of fighters’ hand wraps, weigh-ins and opponents to prevent potentially dangerous mismatches. That has now been changed.

Ontario, on the other hand, is widely considered to have the most-stringent licensing criteria anywhere and has since MMA was legalized here in 2010. In fact, fighters and promoters often complain the requirements are too harsh.

Both professionals and amateurs must undergo thorough medical examinations to ensure there are no pre-existing health concerns before getting a licence to fight. In many cases, fighters must also be checked by doctors after a fight.

PORT HURON, MICH. It will be six to eight weeks before investigators know why a 35-year-old mixed martial artist from Hamilton died shortly after finishing his first fight on the weekend.

The chief forensic investigator for the St. Clair County Medical Examiner in Port Huron, Mich., says Felix Pablo Elochukwu didn’t sustain any fatal injuries during the fight. Mary Palmateer says no signs of trauma were discovered during an autopy performed Sunday.

That preliminary finding would seem to support the stories told by Elochukwu’s coach Jeff Joslin — a former UFC fighter and longtime instructor at his family’s gym on Concession Street — and numerous others that the bout was far from a war and the fighter hadn’t taken anything close to a pounding.

Joslin, who was at the fight held in a faded, orange-brick American Legion hall just off the main drag and near the Black River, 10 minutes from the Canadian border, says it was a relatively tame contest.

Most of the time, both of the 260-pound heavyweights were grappling and wrestling.

“There were no strikes on the feet hardly at all,” Joslin said.

Port Huron Detective-Lieutenant Duane Loxton, who oversees the department’s detective bureau and has witnessed other MMA fights in the area, told The Spectator a similar story. He viewed a tape of the fight and said Elochukwu’s opponent seemingly inflicted no serious damage.

“It wasn’t a brutal fight. They both looked exhausted at the end of it.”

He said both fighters were of similar size, but Elochukwu was far more muscular.

In the third round the two tired fighters went to the mat, where Elochukwu ended up on the bottom and was hit with a number of hammer fists — a downward punch with the baby-finger side of the fist — to the head.

As Elochukwu was unable to defend himself because of fatigue, the referee stepped in and stopped the bout.

The defeated fighter was not knocked out, and was coherent after the fight.

Others who were there tell a similar story.

“It’s kind of funny but the first two rounds, there wasn’t much going on at all,” said LeAnne Kobe, who was ringside.

Kobe, a photographer who regularly shoots for the Amateur Fighting Club which staged the event, added: “I didn’t even think he got hit that hard. I’ve seen much worse.”

Elochukwu stood on his own steam in the cage during the announcement of the winner and then started walking back to the dressing room. Part way there, he stopped and sat down for a rest, citing exhaustion.

Moments after paramedics helped him onto a chair, he fell from it.

Joslin — and a report from the Detroit News — say the medical team gave him CPR, and an ambulance was dispatched at 9:31 p.m.

Elochukwu was treated and pronounced dead at 10:12 p.m.

By the time Joslin arrived at hospital, he was told Elochukwu had passed away.

“I couldn’t believe it,” he said.

Kobe said few people at the fight realized they had witnessed a tragedy, as no announcement was made.

“I don’t think anyone knew what was going on,” said Kobe. “They didn’t want to make an announcement if they hadn’t notified the family.”

The legion has hosted an MMA card in the past, but not for at least a year. Fights have, on occasion, been staged at other venues in the town.

Perhaps as many as 200 people packed the hall on Saturday night.

“There were a lot of young people there, they really believe in that stuff,” said Tom Shay, a 72-year-old legion member who is a veteran and retired police officer.

Shay did not view the fight but he saw Elochukwu warming up before the match from another area of the legion. He saw the huge fighter stretching for about 20 minutes in the low light of the lounge area, where old firearms hang from the wall and Pabst Blue Ribbon is served on tap.

Detective-Lieutenant Loxton witnessed the autopsy and met with two female members of Elochukwu’s family, who came to Port Huron from Chicago to identify the body. Detectives also contacted family members in Newfoundland, England, Nigeria, Ontario and New York.

He said the investigation is essentially finished, pending the final autopsy report. Nothing of a criminal nature is being investigated.

Elochukwu began training at Joslin’s club a year or so ago.

Joslin said he walked in the door one day and said he wanted to be a fighter. He had a white belt in jiu jitsu but had won gold medals in all three competitions he’d entered.

His death has had an instant impact on the lax rules governing amateur MMA fighting in the state of Michigan. The Detroit Free Press reported that the state legislature overwhelmingly passed a bill Wednesday that will regulate the industry.

The bill will require promoters and fighters to be licensed, that they must be at least 18 years old, and that they receive a series of medical tests before competing.

Loxton said he has personally witnessed MMA fights in the area in which 13-year-old boys have competed.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

This may be a case in which the after fight medical examination was not adequate to find the damage that may have result in his death.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Many people assume that because a fight doesn't appear particularly damaging, that damage isn't occurring, or that a pre-existing medical condition wasn't being exacerbated by it. Particularly if the one who passes away looks strong and fit.

Although a completely different scenario, I remember many years ago, a boxer died following a bout against an opponent who was described as a 'light hitter'. There were no knockdowns, and no stoppage. Yet it was later explained that most likely the man who passed away had been suffering from an accumulation of head trauma over his career, and that this last bout was simply the straw that broke the camel's back.

The only comparison I make here is that sometimes, bouts that prove fatal to one of the fighters can appear relatively undramatic.