Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MMA deaths

Hybrid View

I'm being open ended...
    the way you havent expressed any sadness at what is nothing but a human tragedy says to me means you must have other intentions, so open ended isnt actually so open ended...

what the **** does it matter that the guy also fought mma?

i cant see anything in this thread but sensationalism. putting mma and death in the same sentence... there's a lotta ways ANYTHING and death can interact, and a lotta ways mma can interact with anything.

media exploitation.

disgraceful IMO.

i dont always believe it, but there's a saying if you aint part of the solution youre part of the problem. what are you?

Quote Originally Posted by stricker View Post
    what the **** does it matter that the guy also fought mma?
    I agree 100% Stricker. Look at the 'Busted Instructors' thread. It's not just MMA. And I still say the thread title is totally misleading and not appropriate for this situation.

So what type of conversation does this generate? A MMA fighter killed his girl and shot himself. So have a whole lot of other people. Police, businessmen, retired people, OJ. I don't think this guy training MMA makes this a martial arts related thread. This is a thread about crazy muth****as that commit murder-suicides. Therefore, this thread belongs on tha main board with the rest of the off topic stuff. I demand the moderators move this thread and ban Gene Ching for making off topic posts!
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

we got a gene hatre in our midst. alot of them popping up lately whats up with that!

Quote Originally Posted by Water Dragon View Post
    So what type of conversation does this generate? A MMA fighter killed his girl and shot himself. So have a whole lot of other people. Police, businessmen, retired people, OJ. I don't think this guy training MMA makes this a martial arts related thread. This is a thread about crazy muth****as that commit murder-suicides. Therefore, this thread belongs on tha main board with the rest of the off topic stuff. I demand the moderators move this thread and ban Gene Ching for making off topic posts!
    I disagree, in part. MMA doesn't necessarily teach self-control. I know, it does in some ways: IE, when you've got someone in a potentially crippling hold, it's self-control that keeps you from snapping a neck. But if you have a lot of aggression and a certain degenrate psychological bent, MMA could be as damaging as torturing small animals.

I do agree with you that MMA isn't the cause, however.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    I disagree, in part. MMA doesn't necessarily teach self-control. I know, it does in some ways: IE, when you've got someone in a potentially crippling hold, it's self-control that keeps you from snapping a neck. But if you have a lot of aggression and a certain degenrate psychological bent, MMA could be as damaging as torturing small animals.
    You don't really know much about MMA do you? It's a fighting style, it's the student's job to have self-control. And to be honest we don't have too many (I'll admit I've never been tought one) neck snapping holds. It's mostly chokes and joint locks. If the student is sadistic, he can use TMA to hurt people too.

Quote Originally Posted by 1bad65 View Post
    You don't really know much about MMA do you? It's a fighting style, it's the student's job to have self-control. And to be honest we don't have too many (I'll admit I've never been tought one) neck snapping holds. It's mostly chokes and joint locks. If the student is sadistic, he can use TMA to hurt people too.
    You don't really know much about reading comprehension do you?

"But if you have a lot of aggression and a certain degenrate psychological bent, MMA could be as damaging as torturing small animals. But I agree that MMA is not the cause, however."

Yes, you can use TMA to that end. But a more violent person looking to bloody up random people wouldn't join a TMA school, which teaches stricter self-control. You have a freer license to aggression in MMA, b/c the opportunity is there. Look at UFC vs. Sanda. It's a lot different.

Rene Ayangma

Sad story. So young.

Rest in peace.

UPEI student collapses and dies after mixed martial arts workout
    4 days ago

CHARLOTTETOWN - Prince Edward Island's chief coroner is investigating the sudden death of a university student who collapsed after a mixed martial arts sparring session.

Rene Ayangma, 20, had just finished training Tuesday night for his second professional fight when he collapsed at a gym in Stratford, P.E.I.

He died later in hospital.

His father, Noel Ayangma, said his son "was one of the nicest persons you would ever see."

"He was always happy. He loved everybody. For his age, he was just too much," he said Wednesday night.

Ayangma is the second young athlete to die this week in unexplained circumstances.

Mickey Renaud, captain of the Ontario Hockey League Windsor Spitfires, collapsed on Monday at his home in nearby Tecumseh, Ont. He was 19.

Rene Ayangma was a biology student at the University of Prince Edward and a former member of the school's soccer team.

A Facebook group established in Ayangma's memory attracted more than 1,000 members by midday Wednesday.

"You will be missed man ... you're too young to go," one person posted on the group. "I was looking forward to the next fight. See you someday dude!"

Another person said his favourite memory of Ayangma "would have to be any time I saw him."

"He always had the best smile on his face, a great attitude and was the life of the party. We will miss you so much Rene."

Ayangma won his professional debut in Moncton, N.B., in December. He was training for a March 15 in Halifax when he collapsed and died.

Noel Ayangma described his son as a natural athlete who was good at every sport he played.

"He was always making sure he was the best," he said. "I think that's what killed him because he was trying to be ready.

"He was young, lovely boy."

Ayangma said mixed martial arts wasn't a sport he enjoyed but accepted his son's involvement because "that's what he loved."

"Maybe that's what killed him, I don't know," he said.
    P.E.I. MMA fighter dies after sparring
    Wednesday, February 20, 2008
    Click here to find out more!
    THE CANADIAN PRESS

CHARLOTTETOWN -- Noel Ayangma isn't a fan of mixed martial arts but accepted his son's participation "because he loved it so much."

Rene Ayangma, 20, died suddenly Tuesday night, shortly after finishing a sparring session in preparation for his second professional bout.

"He was a young, lovely boy," a sombre father said Wednesday night.

Rene Ayangma was training at Largo Fitness Centre in Stratford, P.E.I., when he collapsed shortly after finishing a light sparring session.

Mike Gallant, a spokesperson with the fight club, said Ayangma had just finished his workout when he dropped suddenly to a knee and fell forward.

Gallant said an instructor and a club member rushed in to perform CPR on Ayangma, who had lost consciousness but still had "shallow breathing."

He was pronounced dead at the hospital.

The cause of death wasn't immediately known and the province's chief coroner was investigating. An autopsy was to be performed Wednesday.

The death was the second this week involving a young, fit athlete.

Mickey Renaud, captain of the Windsor Spitfires of the Ontario Hockey League, collapsed at his Tecumseh, Ont., home Monday and died. He was 19.

The cause has yet to be determined.

Noel Ayangma said his son, a biology student at the University of Prince Edward Island, was "one of the nicest persons you would ever see."

"He was always happy. He loved everybody. For his age, he was just too much," he said.

A Facebook group established in Ayangma's memory attracted more than 1,000 members by midday Wednesday.

"You will be missed man ... you're too young to go," one person posted on the group. "I was looking forward to the next fight. See you someday dude!"

Another person said his favourite memory of Ayangma "would have to be any time I saw him."

"He always had the best smile on his face, a great attitude and was the life of the party. We will miss you so much Rene."

Gallant said the tall, muscular Ayangma was in great physical condition and had passed a thorough medical before his first fight in Moncton, N.B., in December, which he won. His second fight was to be held March 15 in Halifax.

"He was fantastic," he said. "He was a natural at it. He was strong and had a very natural, athletic ability."

The club was sombre Wednesday as friends and fellow competitors tried to come to grips with the death.

"There's still a lot of shock and a lot of reminiscing going on," said Gallant. "He's going to be missed for a long time to come."

Lewis Page, coach of the UPEI men's soccer team, was stunned by the news. He coached Ayangma in soccer on and off since the athlete was about 13, including stints with the UPEI Panthers and provincial teams.

"The first reaction is disbelief," said Page. "I mean a young, healthy, strong guy. ... He was just one of those guys that you always wanted on your team because he was so upbeat, so good with the other players, always positive -- a joy to coach."

Ayangma played for the Panthers for three years before choosing to leave the sport in the fall to pursue mixed martial arts.

His father described his son as a natural athlete who was good at every sport he played.

"He was always making sure he was the best," he said. "I think that's what killed him because he was trying to be ready."

Gallant said Ayangma dreamed to make a career out of fighting. "He had lots of aspirations and he seemed well on his way with them."

Mixed martial arts is a full contact combat sport in which a wide variety of fighting techniques are used, including punching and leg strikes.

Larry Hale, chair of the university's biology department, said Ayangma expressed interest in going to medical school, possibly specializing in sport medicine. He was taking both second- and third-year courses at the Charlottetown school.

"He was very engaged in my genetics course," Hale said. "When he asked questions, they were insightful."
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Young and in-shape athlete dropping dead after and during workouts and even games, is nothing new.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

10. I read that title and though this was a death in the ring . . . Not really sure what him being an MMA fighter really has to do with his killing. People who are not MMA fighters kill other people all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by martialartspeon View Post
    I read that title and though this was a death in the ring . . . Not really sure what him being an MMA fighter really has to do with his killing. People who are not MMA fighters kill other people all the time.
    We're past that story now. This new story was about a fighter dropping dead after a sparring session.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

Wow....people are so sensitive.

I think MMArists are among the most disciplined fighters in the world...perhaps moreso than boxers and wrestlers. Only a disciplined individual would be able to go through such training and succeed.

On the other hand, if you're talking about moral discipline, what is thought to be a primary concern in traditional MA's, than no...it's not there. Why? Because MMA is typically practiced for sport--not for character building (though I still think it does that as well).

If someone is a nut-job--they would have been a nut-job regardless of what occupation or hobbies they are into.

Now onto the second subject....

what the heck happened to the kick? What is heart failure? A lot of people train without regard to their heart rates...and don't cool off properly. It's like when you see someone run for a while and then simply stop. Good way to have a heart attack. It's too bad...sounds like the kid was a good person and just truly loved the sport.
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

GeneChing was the cause apparently.

strike!

Alcohol and in-laws usually don't mix well.
    When given the choice between big business and big government, choose big business. Big business never threw millions of people into gas chambers, but big government did.

"It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men" -Samuel Adams

Alcohol and firearms don't mix very well either.