Not MMA, but BJJ. Not dead, but paralyzed.

So tragic.

'Brotherhood' supports Firefighter's family
by Dana Fulton
Posted: 11.06.2014 at 7:41 PM

Adam Bacon is a firefighter with Lexington County Fire Department. / Dana Fulton
Photo
Lexington, SC --

Adam Bacon wore many hats: husband, father, firefighter, and extreme athlete.

Battalion Chief Martin Friar says Bacon was the kind of guy you would look for when you were on the scene of a fire, because he did the work of 2 or 3 firemen. Fellow firefighter Nathan Brunson says, “(Adam) was always just happy and joking. Around here, it was always just a good time.”

Adam’s wife of 12 years, Maureen Bacon, says he visited the gym several times a week and competed in several races. On the final Sunday of October, he completed the ‘Tough Mudder.’

“He completed his Tough Mudder and he wanted to do more,” says Maureen. “He was always pushing himself to do more.

Adam decided to take up Jujutsu, a Brazilian form of martial arts. During his second day of training, he fell on his neck. Maureen says her husband’s leadership showed- even though he was the one injured. Adam instructed those around him to call 911 and his wife. Though Adam stayed calm, he was still aware something bad had happened.

“It was funny because in the E.R. he said, I will never do that again,” says Maureen. “That was totally my fault. I’ll never do that again.”

Doctors told Maureen her husband broke 3 vertebrae in his neck. C5 was completely shattered and replaced. C4 and C6 were able to be repaired. There was no cord damage, but there was significant swelling. They said, Adam had an ‘incomplete’ spinal cord injury; he still has feeling but very minimal movement.

Maureen is still in high spirits as she prepares to travel to Atlanta with Adam for three months of physical therapy. Her optimism is fueled by all the support from friends and family.

Facebook comment, praying for Adam, have been nonstop on the 'Prayer for Adam Bacon' Facebook page.

And the 'family' support, isn't just from immediate family.

“As a family, as brothers, you always have to watch each other’s backs,” said Joe Leeks, a fellow LCFD Firefighter. “Whether you’re on the clock or off the clock.

“It doesn’t matter what shift you’re on or what station you’re at. There’s a brotherhood throughout the department,” adds Brunson.

The 'Brotherhood' has already started fundraising for the family. If you’re interested in donating, please visit the Go Fund Me page they have set up for Adam.