Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: MMA deaths

sad

Kung Fu is good for you.

GeneChing was the cause apparently.

strike!

Alcohol and in-laws usually don't mix well.
    When given the choice between big business and big government, choose big business. Big business never threw millions of people into gas chambers, but big government did.

"It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men" -Samuel Adams

Alcohol and firearms don't mix very well either.

It's not a good last few months for MMA fighters...

More on Eilers

Heartbreaking last words.

Other Eilers threads:
    UFC 53 - Saturday June 4th
    UFC 57: Vera vs. Eilers

Nampa mother testifies about the night mixed martial arts fighter Justin Eilers was killed
    - Idaho Statesman Edition Date: 01/22/09

The mother of mixed martial arts fighter Justin Eilers testified Thursday she thought the worst of an argument was over when she heard a shot from behind her and her husband fatally shot Eilers.

Gwen Moore was the first witness called in a preliminary hearing for her husband, James Malec, who is charged with second-degree murder. She spoke haltingly, frequently wiping away tears and rarely looking toward her husband.

After about two hours of testimony from Moore and another witness, Magistrate Gregory Frates said there is enough evidence to send the case to district court, where felonies are tried. His arraignment on the charge is set for Jan.30.

She said her 30-year-old son was yelling and angry during a family gathering on Christmas night and had swept dishes and other items off her Nampa home‚s breakfast bar, breaking them. She said she had pushed her son away from the kitchen and thought he was going to go outside, so she turned to go back to washing dishes with her husband.

"As soon as I stepped aside from (Justin) I heard a shot from behind me," Moore said. "I felt something go past my ear."

She said her son took a couple of steps into the living room after the shot.

"He had a surprised look on his face and he said, 'I'm dead, I'm dead. I love you mom.' And then he fell."
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Man, it sucks having your last fight be a loss to Bigfoot.
    ------
    Jason

--Keep talking and I'm gonna serve you dinner...by opening up a can of "whoop-ass" and for dessert, a slice of Lama Pai!

God gave us free will. Therefore he is pro-choice.

Bottom line is you shouldn't tear up someone else's house while drinking. If he was asked to leave, and did not, I don't think the father-in-law did anything wrong. I have a feeling if this happened in Texas or Florida, there would be no charges filed.
    When given the choice between big business and big government, choose big business. Big business never threw millions of people into gas chambers, but big government did.

"It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men" -Samuel Adams

Malec

There's a mug shot of Malec with this article.
    Man to stand trial for shooting death of martial arts fighter
    01/23/2009 12:23 PM MST
    KTVB Canyon County Jail

James Malec, 48, is charged with second-degree murder after a Christmas day shooting in Nampa.

CALDWELL -- A Canyon County judge says there's enough evidence to support a murder charge against the man accused in the shooting death of mixed martial arts fighter Justin Eilers.

Nampa Police arrested James Malec, 48, late Christmas night after Eilers, his step-son, was shot and killed during a family party.

Family members say the two men had been arguing prior to the shooting.

At a preliminary hearing Thursday, a judge ordered Malec to appear in District Court on Jan. 30 when he's expected to enter a plea to second-degree murder.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by 1bad65 View Post
    Bottom line is you shouldn't tear up someone else's house while drinking. If he was asked to leave, and did not, I don't think the father-in-law did anything wrong. I have a feeling if this happened in Texas or Florida, there would be no charges filed.
    Wow! You're a person that I'm really glad I don't know. Since when does destruction of property give you the right to kill a man?

By the way try this in Texas and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by 1bad65 View Post
    **** right!

I may be in Louisiana, but if I have ANYONE being a drunk ******* in MY house when they have their MOTHER OVER, I'm going to shoot and KILL them so they can die in front of their mother whilst saying "I'm dead, I'm dead, I love you."

That ****er got just what he deserved for breaking **** and being stupid; shot to death in front of his mom.

I'm serious, I'm not even kidding right now.

I'm not spelling out what the quote above my text is saying in a slightly over-dramatic way to show just how in-****ing-human aforementioned quote is.
    BreakProof Back® Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

Quote Originally Posted by Vash View Post
    I'm not spelling out what the quote above my text is saying in a slightly over-dramatic way to show just how in-****ing-human aforementioned quote is.
    No doubt. How much you want to bet this Bad Character is absolutely armed to the teeth 24 hours a day.

God help some drunk guy who might show up at his door one night and started banging on it because he had the wrong address.

Anyway, you know it's a bad situation because the guy wasn't charged with voluntary manslaughter. Which is what he would have been charged with if it was a spur of the moment thing...He is charged with second degree murder. Anyway, from the looks of that picture I saw of this guy I would be willing to guess that he's well aquanted with a jail cell.

Very sad

Let's keep an ear out for the autopsy report.
    Martial arts fighter dies after training
    Liz Engel
    Herald-Citizen Staff
    Thursday, Jul 23, 2009
    SPARTA -- A Cookeville man training in Jiu-Jitsu, a popular form of Japanese martial arts, died Monday after a work out at the Sparta YMCA.

Michael Hickey, 38, of Cookeville, and a close friend were drilling in Jiu-Jitsu, a style of unarmed combat and physical fight training, when Hickey said he was short of breath.

Shortly after Hickey stopped to take a break, he quit breathing.

His friend was able to revive him twice using CPR, but Hickey was later pronounced dead at White County Community Hospital in Sparta.

An autopsy is pending. Results could take several weeks.

"It was nothing he hadn't done a thousand times," a friend, who was not with Hickey that evening, told the Herald-Citizen. He said Hickey had been practicing Jiu-Jitsu for eight years and was a member of Alpha Jiu Jitsu Academy of Cookeville. He said rumors indicating Hickey died after being put in a chokehold were untrue.

"It's no different than if they were taking a cardio or kick boxing class together and he collapsed. I'd be absolutely shocked if anything that they were doing (related to Jiu-Jitsu) could have contributed to what happened to him. Of course we won't know until the autopsy's done, if he had a health problem we didn't know about.

"Right now it's just a tragedy."

Hickey is survived by his wife Jacqueline R. Bilbrey Hickey and two sons, Zachary and Skyler Hickey. His obituary is published in today's Herald-Citizen and funeral services are scheduled for Saturday.

It is unclear if the Sparta Police Department is investigating the incident. Police Chief Jeff Guth did not return a phone message by press time.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

While a tragedy for sure, probably not directly martial arts related

a congenital (sp?) heart defect? dehydration? complication with a drug (legal/prescription or otherwise). There are lots of reasons someone exercises and then dies, and the exercise can be something relatively "mild"
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

I bought my first TAP OUT shirt today. With three weeks of sprawl training, I think I should be ready for my first cage match.

I LOVE MMA.
    Last edited by MasterKiller; 07-25-2009 at 02:21 PM.