Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: MMA deaths

more on Hickey

...but not much more. I hope the autopsy is newsworthy or we'll never know for sure.
    Martial arts trainee dies after workout in Sparta
    By Associated Press

3:00 AM CDT, July 27, 2009
    SPARTA, Tenn. (AP) — An autopsy is being performed on a martial arts trainee who died after a workout in Sparta.

Michael Hickey, 38, of Cookeville died after training in Jui-Jitsu at the Sparta YMCA.

Witnesses said Hickey became short of breath, stopped to take a break and quit breathing.

According to the Cookeville Herald-Citizen, he was pronounced dead at White County Community Hospital.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Complications from a mixed-martial-arts accident?

I'm curious about the details here...
    Sep 21 2009 12:57 PM EDT
    Grand Master Roc Raida Dead
    Renowned DJ, who had performed with X-Ecutioners and Busta Rhymes, died Saturday of complications from a mixed-martial-arts accident.
    By Shaheem Reid

In another terrible loss for the hip-hop community, Grand Master Roc Raida (real name: Anthony Williams) of the X-Ecutioners passed away on Saturday due to complications from a mixed-martial-arts accident, according to a statement released by his family. Raida had a two-decade career, which skyrocketed in 1995 when he won the DMC World DJ Championship. He released seven solo albums along with several LPs with his famed crew, the X-Ecutioners. Over the last few years, Raida had been Busta Rhymes' live DJ, where his showmanship skills were a perfect marriage for Busta and Spliff Starr's energetic stage antics.

A statement released by Raida's family over the weekend reads: "Anthony Williams [professionally known] to the world as the Legendary Grand Master Roc Raida has passed away unexpectedly today, September 19, 2009. He is survived by his wife, three lovely daughters, mother and friends. Raida was recently in a mixed-martial-arts accident, something that he has been practicing for several years. Although he had undergone two surgeries with great success, was released to an inpatient physical therapy facility and was in great spirits the past few days, this morning he started to have complications and passed. The family asks for privacy at this time."

Busta Rhymes wrote a series of messages about Raida on his Twitter account.

"I am sorry to say that on this day at 2:05, Sept 19th we lost another incredible life ... DJ Roc Raida died today. My personal DJ is gone ..." Rhymes wrote. "I just wanna thank everyone for your love and support and your prayers ... We will never let your name die Roc ... We love u and will forever miss u ... RIP.

"I never met a more humble man in the industry," he continued. "So unbelievably talented and most importantly such beautiful spirit. I love you my brother. I will never let your name die DJ Roc Raida! We love you, we miss you and we'll never stop reppin' you!"

At press time, Busta's most recent tweets, published Monday morning, read: "I woke up this morning and realized how proud of this man's life I really am ... he can continue to smile down on us ... R.I.P. eternally, from your Flipmode Family."
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Was he the drunk guy that fell out the window while doing "UFC moves"?
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

OK, here's the scoop.

He injured his back in a car accident, but recovered. While training, he dislocated two vertebrae. During his recovery process for this injury, he fell into cardiac arrest and passed away.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Roc Raida's death was actually the result of a Krav Maga training accident not MMA

Another death

Condolences to Kirkham's friends, family and teammates.
    Jun 28, 2010
    Second man dies in U.S. from injuries sustained in a MMA fight
    09:58 PM

Michael Kirkham, 30, has become the second man known to have died in the United States from injuries sustained in a mixed martial arts fight.

Kirkham, a lightweight who was nicknamed "Tree" because he stood 6-feet-9 and weighed 155 pounds, was making his pro debut Saturday night in Aiken, S.C., after a handful of amateur fights. He was knocked out in the first round and did not regain consciousness before passing away Monday morning.

South Carolina is relatively new to MMA, sanctioning the sport in May 2009.

As of March, MMA was regulated in all but six states, including two with no athletic commissions. Some states hold unregulated bouts, but major promoters such as the UFC, Strikeforce and Bellator refuse to promote fights without a sanctioning body in place. Sanctioning efforts in New York remain in limbo.

As regulation has quickly grown over the past few years, so has the number of MMA fights. Sherdog.com's calendar listed 16 fight cards from Thursday to Sunday, and that listing is incomplete -- the card on which Kirkham was fighting is not listed.

The sport's proponents have long argued that it is safer than boxing. MMA fights are immediately stopped if a fighter cannot intelligently defend himself after being knocked down, while boxers are given time to recover and may face further punishment. Also, MMA bouts include a greater variety of techniques, including grappling holds, that can bring a fight to a finish without seriously injuring an opponent. The American Medical Association opposes both boxing and MMA. (for "long argued"

The other known MMA fatality in the USA is Sam Vasquez, who died in November 2007, roughly a month after a bout in Houston. Sherdog.com research has found only one other death in the sport, Douglas Dedge's death after a 1998 bout in Kiev, Ukraine, prior to government oversight.

An autopsy on Kirkham will be conducted Tuesday.

By Beau Dure
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Condolences to Kirkham's friends, family and teammates.
    Sad yo, we've seen Michael at a couple of the events here. LOL he submitted 3 guys in a row with a standing guillotine. I don't know him personally but you kinda get acquainted to guys in the locker room. Heart goes out to his family. He leaves behind a lot.

PRO MMA Death

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?...South_Carolina

Mixed-martial-arts competitor Michael Kirkham died this morning as a result of injuries sustained from a professional mixed-martial-arts bout this past Saturday at the USC Aiken Convocation Center in South Carolina.

WRDW News in Augusta, S.C., first reported the news.

Kirkham, 30, suffered repeated blows to the head during an MMA event dubbed "Confrontation at Convocation Center" and collapsed afterward.

He was taken unconscious to the Aiken Regional Medical Center, where he died from brain hemorrhaging, a representative of the Aiken County Coroner's office today confirmed with MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).

An autopsy on the fighter is expected for Tuesday morning, the ACC representative said.

According to an amateur fighter database hosted on mixedmartialarts.com, Kirkham held a 1-3 record with two losses by way of TKO. The June 26 fight marked his pro debut.

A representative for the South Carolina Athletic Commission directed MMAjunkie.com to an officer for the state's Department of Labor, Licensing and Regulation, who was unavailable for comment.

Kirkham is the second fighter to die as a result of injuries sustained during a professional MMA bout. Houston-based fighter Sam Vasquez lapsed into a coma and died 42 days after a TKO loss to Vince Libari at a "Renegades Extreme Fighting" event in October 2007.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

oop sorry, I didn't realize we were having a self contained death in mma thread.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Trainer death

Sudden death at 37. Wonder what the autopsy will show...
    August 15, 2011, 2:25 AM ET
    MMA trainer Shawn Tompkins dies
    By Josh Gross

Shawn Tompkins, a mixed martial arts trainer known for guiding the careers of several accomplished fighters, passed away Sunday in Canada. The cause of his death is unknown. Tompkins was 37 years old.

Tompkins is survived by his wife, Emilie, who confirmed her husband's death late Sunday night.

"Unfortunately I'm in Las Vegas and he's in Canada," she said. "I'm hearing through my family and his family that he didn't wake up this morning. They're going to do an autopsy tomorrow, so we don't know any of the actual details. But from what we do know, he passed away in his sleep."

Tompkins was known for molding young fighters like Sam Stout, Mark Hominick and Chris Horodecki into crisp, technical strikers. He started with Stout when the lightweight was just 16. Stout became Tompkins' brother-in-law after the trainer married Emilie. The couple moved to Las Vegas from London, Ontario, Canada, in 2007.

Tompkins' mentor Bas Rutten, a former UFC heavyweight champion, told ESPN.com he spoke to his friend on Saturday evening.

"Shawn is one of my best friends, one of the best if not the best striking coaches on the planet, and I mean this," said Rutten, who made the blond-haired Canadian the head coach of an International Fight League team in 2007. "He always put his students and friends before him, would do anything for them."

"He texted me late last night, telling me he loved me," Rutten said, "so thank God I called him to tell him it was mutual."

Beyond Tompkins' roll as a trainer, he established an almost paternal roll with many of his fighters and was fond of calling them "son." After relocating to Las Vegas, Tompkins settled at Xtreme Couture until he moved on to become head coach at the TapouT Research and Development Training Center in 2009.

Earlier this year, Tompkins ran Hominick's corner during a UFC featherweight championship fight in Toronto. This was the closest Tompkins came to earning his stripes as a UFC championship trainer. Hominick fought valiantly but dropped the fight on points to Jose Aldo.

Tompkins fought before excelling as a trainer, losing each of his four bouts in the Montreal-based promotion UCC.

Tompkins was in Canada to help prepare Horodecki for his next bout on Sept. 10.

The trainer's remains were moved to University Hospital in London, Ontario. No funeral plans have been set, said Emilie Tompkins. She will travel to Canada on Monday.

"Obviously I think he was an amazing man," Emilie said, "and I hope everyone shares their good stories about him."
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I find it odd that he texted Bas that night to tell him he loved him. Curious about the autoptsy also.

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    yeah a little strange...
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

Meanwhile in Oz

There's vid if you follow the link. Still awaiting an autopsy report on Shawn Tompkins.
    Sudden death of martial arts champ Mark Fowler
    Nick Walshaw
    August 18, 2011 12:00AM

MARK Fowler spent the final minutes of his life talking up a rematch.

Friends said he was extremely lucid. Confident. Oozing all the belief you'd expect of a tattooed muay thai champion.

Then he collapsed.

The Australian Mixed Martial Arts community has been rocked - and once again thrust into the spotlight - following the death of Fowler, a popular WBC lightweight champion.

A coronial inquiry is under way into how the Kings Cross fighter - an Englishman whose walkout tunes included London Calling - buckled and fell almost an hour after his bout in Liverpool last Saturday.

Fowler, 35, was rushed to hospital, where he died on Monday.

While the muay thai community has closed ranks after the tragedy - which occurred following a Taipan Promotions undercard sanctioned by the NSW Combat Sports Authority - one member of the Sydney fight scene, speaking on condition of anonymity, said Fowler had appeared fine after his fight.

"He was actually talking up a rematch," the insider said.

"Mark and his opponent had now fought twice, with one win each.

"This one had gone five rounds and Mark wanted a third match to decide their rivalry."

Another trainer said: "It's important people know this wasn't some underground match between a couple of mugs - it was a fully sanctioned bout between two professional fighters."

Taipan Promotions boss Tony Favuzzi, a retired super heavyweight and respected member of the Sydney fight scene, declined to comment yesterday out of respect to Fowler's English parents, who were expected to fly into Sydney last night.

The Combat Authority, which sanctioned the bout, offered a brief five-line statement in which it pledged to support the NSW Police and coroner in their investigations.

There was no response from Fowler's Photajaroen Muaythai Gym, which temporarily closed its doors in mourning for the fighter who appeared on the pages of International Kickboxer shortly after winning his WBC state title in March.

WBC Australia chief Pamorn Martdee called on Sports Minister Graham Annesley - who has a ordered an inquiry - to ensure greater control over the sport.

"While this was not one of our events, Mark was one of our champions and his death is a tragedy," Mr Martdee said.

"The WBC is all about safety and we want to ensure standards are upheld right across the board."
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

RIP Salvadore Flamenco

Met his sparring partner on the web.
    Vancouver police, medical examiner probe death of Chicago man after sparring workout here
    Salvadore Flamenco, 38, became dizzy and lost consciousness in 2nd day of boxing
    By John Branton
    Columbian Staff Reporter
    Originally published December 22, 2011 at 5:58 p.m., updated December 23, 2011 at 11:21 a.m.

Vancouver police say Salvador Flamenco, 38, a Chicago flight attendant, met a local resident on a fighting website and came here to spar at the Vancouver resident's home.

They boxed on Dec. 15 and also the next day, when Flamenco started becoming dizzy and lost consciousness, said Detective Sgt. Scott Creager.

Folks immediately called 911 and AMR Northwest ambulance paramedics took Flamenco to a local hospital, where he died.

The website where the fighters met is www.allfighters.com

The website features stories and videos about high-ranking fighters from all over the world.

Creager said he had no information that drugs or alcohol were involved.

The Clark County Medical Examiner conducted an autopsy and referred the case to Creager's Major Crime Unit.

Creager declined to reveal the name of the person who boxed with Flamenco or the place where it happened, saying the case is under active investigation.

Friends and family have created a Facebook page in memory of Flamenco.

John Branton: 360-735-4513 or john.branton@columbian.com.
    Death won't change mixed martial arts
    Regulation needed, athletics commssioner says
    By Lee Greenberg, Ottawa Citizen January 3, 2012

The death of a U.S. man who was training in mixed martial arts will not affect Ontario's decision to legalize that form of fighting.

"At this point, I don't think it will be an issue here," Ontario athletics commissioner Ken Hayashi told the Citizen Monday in an emailed statement.

Salvador Flamenco, 38, died from blunt head trauma after sparring with another man in Vancouver, Washington, in mid-December, according to police.

Flamenco, a Chicago resident, trained in MMA solely for fitness.

An airline flight attendant who travelled for free, he had traversed the country for a two-day sparring session in the basement of an unnamed man's house. The two were training in wrestling and boxing, according to multiple news sources.

At some point during the second day of training, on Dec. 16, Flamenco complained of dizziness, began vomiting and was rushed to hospital.

Police say he died a short time later.

A coroner ruled the death a homicide, prompting a police investigation, said a spokesman for the Clark County Medical Examiner's Office Monday. That probe is ongoing.

A spokesman for the province said Flamenco's death underscored the importance of regulating fights.

"There's certainly no getting around the fact that mixed martial arts is an inherently dangerous sport," said Richard Hustwick.

In order to fight professionally in Ontario, MMA combatants must submit test results for the head, brain, heart and eyes to make sure they are free of heart issues, concussions, brain bleeds and torn retinas, Hustwick said.

The athletics commissioner can also nix any fight deemed to be a mismatch.

Training for the sport is unregulated, however.

"It'd be like me calling you up and saying come over to my place and let's fight," he said. "There's no role for the office of the athletics commissioner in that scenario."

Hustwick says Ontario's ministry of consumer services is aware of at least two deaths that stemmed from MMA fights - one in the U.S. and another in Ukraine. Both deaths occurred "a number of years ago," said Hustwick.

Ontario recently legalized MMA events, becoming one of the last major North American jurisdictions to do so.

At the time, a government official said regulation was the only way authorities could "control the safety of competitors," and added that the fights could also act as an economic stimulant for host communities.

The first legal Ontario fight events took place in April 2011. There have been 14 sanctioned MMA events across the province since then.

Hayashi, who, as the province's athletics commissioner, is responsible for sanctioning MMA events, said he wasn't aware of Flamenco's death until informed by the Citizen.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips