Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: MMA deaths

MA involved in organized crime?

That's just crazy I tell you, CRAZY !!
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

the National Center for Catastrophic Sport Injury Research reported 1,006 direct and 683 indirect fatalities resulting from participation in all organized football (professional, college, high school, and sandlot) in the US.

just saying
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

What are the NCCSIR numbers for MMA?

And what is the population of football players vs. MMA players?
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    And what is the population of football players vs. MMA players?
    A valid point because:
    100,000 players with 2000 injuries is 2%
    1000 players with 20 injuries is 2%
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

I'm not opposed to people beating themselves up for a sport they love. I do have some issue with full contact sports with young people who are still developing though. There is a right way and there is a wrong way. And full contact for 12 year olds is the wrong way, whether it MMA or football. That isn't to say they shouldn't have any contact, it's just that it needs to be tailored to their stage in life.

Mostly, I just wish that people had access to the real numbers w/o being subjected to mountains of misinformation and disinformation. It can be really hard for a parent to make the right decision given the sheer amount of false data that needs to be weeded out to find some truth. Unfortunately, as we see all too often in the sciences, community review is treated as valid as peer review. Fuckin bloggers ay!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    A valid point because:
    100,000 players with 2000 injuries is 2%
    1000 players with 20 injuries is 2%
    It's unfortunate when people throw out numbers w/o any context. This speaks directly to my above post. It's embarrassing, we should be better than this by now. We have the tools, we just don't use them.

MMA vs NFL

lkfmdc does have a point about the scandalous number of fatalities in Football. It's an often hidden stat (cheerleading fatalities are even more disturbing). But there's magnitude and proportion. How many football stadiums are there in the U.S? And how many MMA stadiums are there?

MMA tends to get full of itself. I mean, we all were chatting about Silva's KO, but I didn't see any reports in the newspaper on or TV. Not a one.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Too many people are writing it off as just a dumb mistake. Weidman can beat him again. He may not, but he can beat a non clowning Silva. He's no joke, and he's still improving, whereas Silva has peaked and will be relying on experience and finesse from now on. Still, he is the GOAT! For now, anyways.

I don't know the numbers, but I would bet the percentages of serious injury are significantly higher in football. Pro and otherwise.

If anyone does have any legit stats, toss em up. I know we have many years of data on football. The stats will be juked, but it will give us an idea, anyways. MMA is young, this may take some time. But I bet the risk of head injury is greater in both football and boxing.

In the 20 years since the UFC appeared, I know of 4 deaths associated with "MMA"... while every death is a tragedy, people do LOTS of dangerous activites in which there are death statistics

After the first MMA death, I know people who ranted and raved that that was the reason MMA should be banned. One death? Well then ban football, boxing, NASCAR.....

As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

MMA tends to get full of itself. I mean, we all were chatting about Silva's KO, but I didn't see any reports in the newspaper on or TV. Not a one.
    The WSJ has a piece on how the FBI is investigating the possiblity of fixed betting associated with MMA and the Anderson Silva fight in particular, that is pretty mainstream

When was the last time you saw anyone talking about boxing besides ESPN? Like it or not, MMA is professional fighting now.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Boxing is cool, but MMA deserves to be in the lead. It may be young as a mainstream westernized sport, but it has much more to offer in the long run. It will continue to grow and be refined. We haven't seen the half of it.

I will always love boxing. It will always be the sweet science, but MMA is just... more. Ya know!

Woah now, don't misread me.

You guys are all coming out defensive on this thread again. I'm just playing Devil's Advocate here. I'm totally in support of MMA. In fact, I've been thinking lately that it's been way too long since I've been to a fight. The buy-out of Strikeforce drastically affected my local connections.

But back on topic, I think this thread is vital to documenting the state of MMA, as the injurious nature of the sport is a major criticism. The busted thread is important for the same reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    In the 20 years since the UFC appeared, I know of 4 deaths associated with "MMA"...
    There are more than four on this thread alone.

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    The WSJ has a piece on how the FBI is investigating the possiblity of fixed betting associated with MMA and the Anderson Silva fight in particular, that is pretty mainstream
    True, but not quite the coverage we'd like to see. I'd like to see standings published just like NFL or NBA. Or at as much coverage as boxing.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    When was the last time you saw anyone talking about boxing besides ESPN? Like it or not, MMA is professional fighting now.
    I still see boxing coverage in the sports sections of newspapers. I don't see MMA coverage unless it is a local fighter, or with controversy like the fixing issue (note that all sports get negative coverage like this - I just wish MMA had more positive coverage to balance out).

Where MMA does excel in coverage is the web.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Where MMA does excel in coverage is the web.
    New sport, new media. Makes sense. Our generations are what is keeping the old guard alive. Most kids I know don't even have cable and most certainly don't read the news paper. Granted, you can't keep their attention for longer than ten seconds before they break out in cold sweat smart phone withdrawal. But hey, I remember my parents thought I moved too fast. That's just how it is.

We gettin old, Gene!

Gene

Mixed martial arts (MMA) in the United States was sanctioned under Unified Rules in the states of New Jersey and Nevada in 2001. By May 4, 2012, 46 US states had regulated the sport. As of September 2012, there have been three recorded deaths resulting from sanctioned contests, Sam Vasquez in Texas on November 30, 2007 and Michael Kirkham in South Carolina on June 28, 2010 both died of cerebral hemorrhage and Tyrone Mimms in South Carolina on August 11, 2012 due to an unknown cause.

UNSANCTIONED

31-year-old Douglas Dedge was an American mixed martial artist who was the first known American competitor to be fatally injured in an MMA fight and the first death in the modern era of MMA. On March 16, 1998 Dedge competed at an unsanctioned "World Super Challenge" event in Kiev, Ukraine