Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: MMA deaths

meh, you pay your nickle and you take your chances.

fact of the matter is that in contact sports you risk injury and death. period.

For one thing, I don't think a whole lot of people are any good at risk mitigation.
    That is apparent with all the car accidents causing death, drug overdoses, murders, and so on and so forth.

Unfortunately, many of us believe that that sort of thing happens to other people and not to us. Because we are so smart right?

when it comes to violence, the only way to win is to not play. Especially when it's a choice of leisure.

lol
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    meh, you pay your nickle and you take your chances.

fact of the matter is that in contact sports you risk injury and death. period.

For one thing, I don't think a whole lot of people are any good at risk mitigation.
    That is apparent with all the car accidents causing death, drug overdoses, murders, and so on and so forth.

Unfortunately, many of us believe that that sort of thing happens to other people and not to us. Because we are so smart right?

when it comes to violence, the only way to win is to not play. Especially when it's a choice of leisure.

lol
    I'm sure every sport has at least one death. I mean, even a beach volleyball player can drop under the sun, given the right conditions, no?

When they gather their numbers do they distinguish between deaths caused by trauma directly and only related to that sport and the ones that had other contributing factors? Like if you had a pre-existing condition that just went unnoticed and eventually the sport pushed you over the edge. Know what I mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    I'm sure every sport has at least one death. I mean, even a beach volleyball player can drop under the sun, given the right conditions, no?

When they gather their numbers do they distinguish between deaths caused by trauma directly and only related to that sport and the ones that had other contributing factors? Like if you had a pre-existing condition that just went unnoticed and eventually the sport pushed you over the edge. Know what I mean?
    Multiple concussions might not lead to death but it appears that it leads to very poor quality of life in your later years.

Your chances go up with higher risks. Pre-existing conditions aside, pugilism has a better chance of killing you than tennis. American football has a better chance of killing you than rhythmic gymnastics etc etc.

One could engage in what you are suggesting, but not all boats are made equal.
    Some sports are more dangerous than others and they generally involve high risk.

That's life.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

You raise a good point about sanctioned vs. unsanctioned, lkfmdc

We all know the significance of sanctioned fights, however the media won't focus on that. As a media person myself, we go for those headlines. Just look at the history of this thread. If a reporter can tie MMA to death, that's good copy.

That's partially the point here. Sure, there are plenty of deaths in all sports. MMA critics argue that MMA is more injurious. It's not far from the old boxing criticism - when the object of the game is to deliver maximum impact to the opponent's skull, there must be some repercussion. Many MMA advocates argue that boxing is more injurious because that's the main point of the game, while in MMA, there are other means to achieve a win. A quick submission hold might happen without a single blow to the noggin. Then again, when you can knee someone in the head, that might have more impact than a fist. MMA is under scrutiny due to the vary nature of the game. I feel that it has withstood that scrutiny so far, else it wouldn't be gaining in legalization.

I think what is inhibiting the progress now is that it's hard to establish some personable champs. Perhaps that is in part due to the nature of the game - so many leagues, quick turnover. MMA needs an Ali or even a Tyson. We've had many MMA champs skirt fame - there are plenty of great characters, but no one has emerged with that kind of pop traction...not yet at least.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Multiple concussions might not lead to death but it appears that it leads to very poor quality of life in your later years.

Your chances go up with higher risks. Pre-existing conditions aside, pugilism has a better chance of killing you than tennis. American football has a better chance of killing you than rhythmic gymnastics etc etc.

One could engage in what you are suggesting, but not all boats are made equal.
    Some sports are more dangerous than others and they generally involve high risk.

That's life.
    Oh, for sure. I'm not trying to deny the risks. I'm just curious about the process used to collect the statistics. Context matters. Saying that tennis has an injury rate of x and NASCAR has an injury rate of y doesn't really tell you very much.

Like Feynman said: knowing the name of a bird doesn't really tell you anything about the bird.

When I fought "mma" it was unsanctioned and man where there a lot of F'ed up injuries BUT I never recalled a death.
    That said I am surprised there wasn't any at some of the 'events" I attended.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Slightly OT...

In regards to injuries in other sports, SA just put this out. I was surprised to find TKD outnumbers Boxing, but consider that Olympic Boxing rules are different than pro. The comment about fencing made me chuckle.

Leg and Head Injuries Are Frequent at the Olympics
    Athletes are injured frequently—badminton players more so than ski jumpers
    By Mark Fischetti | July 25, 2012

We rarely see it happen on television, but one in 10 Olympians will get hurt during the games, if the past is any guide (left). About three quarters of the injuries occur during some phase of competition and one quarter during warm-ups or on-site training, according to Lars Engebretsen of the University of Oslo in Norway, who compiled the data. Summer athletes tend to ruin their legs; winter athletes bang their heads (below). The causes vary greatly: collisions (soccer), stick strikes (field hockey), high-speed wipeouts (bobsledding). The damage leader—snowboard cross—involves frequent contact between boarders in a free-for-all downhill race. Sailing is nearly harm-free. Engebretsen says injury rates in most professional sports, such as football and soccer, are higher, although data are inconsistent.

Graphic by Jen Christiansen, Illustrations by MCKIBILLO; Source: Lars Engebretsen, University of Oslo
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Ah.... Ice and snow. Takin' out heads and knees.

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    Oh, for sure. I'm not trying to deny the risks. I'm just curious about the process used to collect the statistics. Context matters. Saying that tennis has an injury rate of x and NASCAR has an injury rate of y doesn't really tell you very much.

Like Feynman said: knowing the name of a bird doesn't really tell you anything about the bird.
    I think the process is statistics and it's methods.
    Say sports organizations have governing bodies that are legally sanctioned. they collect records on each athlete and that info is available.

For those guys out there that create their own thing at the local pub or something and get a town permit but not necessarily a sanctioning body, well that's where a lot of the chaos happens and it's simply because of sheer ignorance in organization, reffing, the contestants themselves being morons and having no place in a violent physical contest and I've even seen guys get into the rings at tough-mans drunk! Drunk! Venue let's them, refs (or whatever) let them.
    Can't leave fast enough when that happens and it happens regularly. Still.

It's retarded for the most part in many respects. Bunch of tv watching experts.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Yeah, but shouldn't stats only be collected on sanctioned matches, whether pro or otherwise? Huge diff between a municipal permit and being sanctioned by a recognized athletic body. You shouldn't be able to get a permit w/o insurance. Shouldn't be able to get insurance w/o sanctioning. Anything less is just amatuer hour(no pun intended).

I mean, do we collect kimbo slice type fights for boxing stats too? Or do we add what happened to lil Johnny at the ice pond to pee wee hockey stats? Or how bout a race car driver who get's into a street accident?

Using data from what basically amounts to bar room brawls in to MMA stats is just stupid.... no? Does anyone actually do that? Maybe I'm naive, but I just assumed that the stats would be from legit organizations only. And actual matches w/ real refs and a ringside doctor etc etc...

One thing is clear... There needs to be a universal standard for any sport that crosses geographical boundaries. A fight in T.O. should be no different than a fight in Brazil, if they wanna call themselves "professional".

There's levity in brevity: http://youtu.be/Rp_j3ZirLjM
    Kung Fu is good for you.

There's levity in brevity: http://youtu.be/Rp_j3ZirLjM
    Yeah. That bout sums it up, doesn't it...

RIP Shane Del Rosario

So far, there has been no implication this was MMA related. Sounds like it was a congenital condition. Such a loss.

Shane Del Rosario dies at 30
    Updated: December 10, 2013, 4:04 AM ET
    ESPN.com news services

UFC heavyweight Shane Del Rosario died on Monday, nearly two weeks after being hospitalized after suffering sudden cardiac arrest in his home.

"It has been truly amazing to realize just how many lives Shane touched in such a positive way," Del Rosario's family said in a statement released to The Associated Press.

"As always, Shane fought hard, but it was his time to go in peace. We will miss his huge smile, his huge bear hugs, his gift of giving to others, and his Aloha spirit. He was larger than life."

Del Rosario, 30, was admitted to Hoag Memorial Hospital Presbyterian in Newport Beach, Calif., on Nov. 26 and put on life support. Doctors were able to resuscitate him in the emergency room, but he showed no sign of brain activity once admitted to the hospital's coronary care unit. Doctors modulated his body near 90 degrees in an effort to induce therapeutic hypothermia before jump-starting body and brain functions.

Del Rosario's family is interested in starting a charitable foundation to aid research on long QT syndrome, the heart condition that may have contributed to the fighter's sudden cardiac arrest last month.

On Monday, teammates of Del Rosario posted news of the fighter's passing on Twitter. The UFC released an official statement, but did not cite the time of death.

"The Ultimate Fighting Championship mourns the tragic loss of heavyweight competitor Shane del Rosario, who has passed away at the age of 30," the statement read.

"Del Rosario suffered a heart attack on Tuesday, No. 26 as a result of what doctors believe to be a congenital heart disorder, according to his manager Jason House. The entire organization sends its deepest condolences to Shane's family and friends."

Del Rosario's roommate, UFC flyweight Ian McCall, found him lying unconscious on the morning of the incident, according to his trainer Colin Oyama.

"RIP to one of the best people I've ever had the honor to have in my life and call my best friend," McCall posted on his Twitter account Monday.

The heavyweight fighter had been scheduled to compete at UFC 168 in December in Las Vegas, but withdrew from that bout recently due injured cartilage between his ribs. He hadn't fought since a knockout loss to Pat Barry last December.

Del Rosario had been a professional mixed martial artist since 2006, also competing in kickboxing and muay thai competitions. He was the first American winner of the WBC world heavyweight muay thai championship in 2007.

He won his first 11 pro MMA bouts while competing in Strikeforce, M-1 Global and other promotions before moving last year to the UFC, where he lost his first two fights. He was stopped by Stipe Miocic and again by Pat Barry, his final opponent in December 2012.

Del Rosario trained with Team Oyama in Irvine, Calif., and spent most of his summers with his grandparents in Lanai City, Hawaii. In April 2011, Del Rosario was involved in a car accident when a drunk driver collided with him after driving into a roadside barrier. Herniated disks kept him out of action until May 2012.

The family said it will honor the fighter's desire to be an organ donor.

"He was passionate about helping others and was always there to offer a helping hand, a smile, and encouragement to anyone, not only family and friends, but also to strangers," Del Rosario's family said in its statement.

"He always put others before himself and would give the shirt off his back. He brought genuine joy and happiness to everyone he touched."

ESPN.com MMA columnist Brett Okamoto contributed to this report.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

RIP Joe Camacho

Another MMA proponent who died way too young.

MMA fighter, jiujitsu instructor Joe Camacho dies in West Covina
    By Kate Mather
    December 16, 2013, 2:00 p.m.

Veteran mixed-martial arts fighter and jiujitsu instructor Joe Camacho died Monday morning at a West Covina hospital, police said.

Paramedics took Camacho, 41, from his girlfriend's home in West Covina to Queen of the Valley Hospital early Monday after he had "difficultly breathing," according to the West Covina Police Department.

Though paramedics performed CPR, Camacho was pronounced dead at the hospital, police spokesman Rudy Lopez said.

Lopez said police were waiting for coroner's officials to determine a cause of death, but noted there were no obvious signs of foul play. He declined to comment on tweets from those who knew Camacho who said he died of a heart attack.

"We're not going to speculate," Lopez said. "There will be lots of speculation, especially with him just coming off a competition."

Camacho, a Los Angeles native, held a second-degree black belt in Brazilian jiujitsu and participated in numerous competitions spanning roughly 15 years. He most recently fought with Bellator MMA and was a former "King of the Cage" lightweight world champion and California Combat Champion, according to a Facebook page for his academy.

Dozens of people have offered condolences on social media, including the academy's Facebook page. One person called Camacho's death a "very sad day for the Brazilian Jiu Jitsu world."
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Slightly OT

But there might be some intrigue here if the backstory is ever revealed.

Burned vehicle victim is former martial arts fighter
    April 24, 2014 5:23 PM
    ANNELI FOGT, STAFF WRITER

PHOTO COURTESY OF OAKLAND COUNTY ONE FIFTEEN
    Justin “Bully” Schalk
    The man whose remains were found in a burned vehicle near Stoddard Wells Road on April 14 has been identified as a former mixed martial arts fighter.

Local Michigan news website Oakland County One Fifteen said Justin Schalk, known in the MMA world as Justin “Bully” Schalk, grew up in Ferndale, Mich., a small city just outside Detroit, and he graduated from Ferndale High School. Before his death, he had been living in Los Angeles, competing in MMA matches. He last competed in June 2013.

Oakland County One Fifteen reports Schalk had two children. An online fundraiser has been set up to help pay for his memorial service.

Two suspects have been arrested in connection with the murder. On April 19, Major Allen, 31, and Sean Allen Briskey, 30, were arrested in Montclair on allegations of murder. Both were arraigned Tuesday and pleaded not guilty to all charges.

Briskey may be a former actor with roles in “American Pie Presents: Band Camp” and “Malibu’s Most Wanted,” and the TV show “Judging Amy.” The actor’s IMDb.com profile shares the same birthday and description as Briskey, but the connection has not yet been confirmed by officials.

Briskey and Allen are scheduled for a preliminary hearing on May 6 in Victorville.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips