Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: MMA deaths

Slightly OT

Not MMA, but BJJ. Not dead, but paralyzed.

So tragic.

'Brotherhood' supports Firefighter's family
    by Dana Fulton
    Posted: 11.06.2014 at 7:41 PM

Adam Bacon is a firefighter with Lexington County Fire Department. / Dana Fulton
    Photo
    Lexington, SC --

Adam Bacon wore many hats: husband, father, firefighter, and extreme athlete.

Battalion Chief Martin Friar says Bacon was the kind of guy you would look for when you were on the scene of a fire, because he did the work of 2 or 3 firemen. Fellow firefighter Nathan Brunson says, “(Adam) was always just happy and joking. Around here, it was always just a good time.”

Adam’s wife of 12 years, Maureen Bacon, says he visited the gym several times a week and competed in several races. On the final Sunday of October, he completed the ‘Tough Mudder.’

“He completed his Tough Mudder and he wanted to do more,” says Maureen. “He was always pushing himself to do more.

Adam decided to take up Jujutsu, a Brazilian form of martial arts. During his second day of training, he fell on his neck. Maureen says her husband’s leadership showed- even though he was the one injured. Adam instructed those around him to call 911 and his wife. Though Adam stayed calm, he was still aware something bad had happened.

“It was funny because in the E.R. he said, I will never do that again,” says Maureen. “That was totally my fault. I’ll never do that again.”

Doctors told Maureen her husband broke 3 vertebrae in his neck. C5 was completely shattered and replaced. C4 and C6 were able to be repaired. There was no cord damage, but there was significant swelling. They said, Adam had an ‘incomplete’ spinal cord injury; he still has feeling but very minimal movement.

Maureen is still in high spirits as she prepares to travel to Atlanta with Adam for three months of physical therapy. Her optimism is fueled by all the support from friends and family.

Facebook comment, praying for Adam, have been nonstop on the 'Prayer for Adam Bacon' Facebook page.

And the 'family' support, isn't just from immediate family.

“As a family, as brothers, you always have to watch each other’s backs,” said Joe Leeks, a fellow LCFD Firefighter. “Whether you’re on the clock or off the clock.

“It doesn’t matter what shift you’re on or what station you’re at. There’s a brotherhood throughout the department,” adds Brunson.

The 'Brotherhood' has already started fundraising for the family. If you’re interested in donating, please visit the Go Fund Me page they have set up for Adam.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

A cursory report

I'm posting it here strictly for archival sake.

A look at deaths in mixed martial arts and kickboxing since '07
    Dozen have died competing, in training
    By John Diedrich of the Journal Sentinel staff
    Nov. 15, 2014 6:30 p.m.

At least 12 mixed martial arts fighters and kickboxers have died worldwide since 2007, competing in bouts or preparing for them, according to a Milwaukee Journal Sentinel review. Here is a look at the deaths.

October 2007: Mixed martial arts fighter Sam Vasquez is knocked out in the third round of a regulated fight in Houston, later dying of a subdural hemorrhage due to blunt trauma of the head.

June 2010: Michael Kirkham dies following a regulated MMA bout in South Carolina. The cause of death was subarachnoid hemorrhage of the brain.

July 2010: Kickboxer Adrienne Simmons dies after she was knocked out in a three-round bout in Orlando. A doctor was at the event, sponsored by the International Kickboxing Federation, but no ambulance. Simmons was wearing headgear. Reports did not list the cause of death.

August 2011: British kickboxer Mark Fowler dies in Australia. He collapsed after fighting five rounds and failed to regain consciousness. He died of head injuries.

December 2011: Mixed martial arts fighter Salvador Flamenco dies in Vancouver, Wash., from head injuries suffered in training bouts there.

April 2012: Mixed martial arts fighter Mike Mittelmeier dies in Bolivia in an unregulated bout. The cause of death was cerebral hemorrhage.

May 2012: Mixed martial arts fighter Dustin Jenson dies following an unregulated bout in South Dakota. Jenson watched the next fights before suffering a seizure. He died of subdural hemorrhage resulting from blunt force trauma to the head, related to an injury suffered a week earlier.

August 2012: Mixed martial arts fighter Tyrone Mimms dies following a regulated bout in South Carolina. Autopsy results were inconclusive.

April 2013: Mixed martial arts fighter Felix Elochukwu Nchikwo dies in Port Huron, Mich., in an unregulated bout. He had a cardiac arrhythmic disorder that caused his sudden death.

September 2013: Mixed martial arts fighter Leandro Souza of Brazil dies just before a weigh- in. He died in a sauna as he tried to cut 33 pounds in a week.

March 2014: Mixed martial arts fighter Booto Guylain dies in South Africa following complications resulting from a head injury experienced during a bout.

March 2014: Dennis Munson Jr. collapses and dies following his first kickboxing bout, which was unregulated, at the Eagles Club in Milwaukee. His brain was damaged, leading to organ failure, according to the autopsy.

twitter.com/john_diedrich jdiedrich@journalsentinel.com
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

What most of these deaths continue to show us is that blunt force trauma to the head is still THE number one killer in martial sports.

That said, I also found this out in regards to Judo deaths in Japan ( typically due to falls):
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/18/sp...anted=all&_r=0

Over the past 30 years, 118 have died, and nearly 300 have ended up disabled or comatose.

The statistics have no parallel in other developed nations where the sport is popular. Officials at judo federations in both the United States and France said that while concussions had been common, there had been no known reports of deaths or traumatic brain injuries for young practitioners in recent decades.

The frequency of judo deaths in Japan concerned Ryo Uchida, an assistant professor at Nagoya University, who studies school safety. He was the first to compile the figures, based on school accident records from the Japan Sport Council.

Uchida’s study, published in 2009, tracked 108 deaths since 1983, the earliest data available, but did not include nonscholastic judo centers, whose injury rates were unknown.
    Still, in pro fighting sports, death tends to be as a result of cumulative blunt force trauma to the head.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

This one is very different.

Why Did A Tajik Student & Mixed Martial-Arts Champ Die For IS in Iraq?

A man identified as Tajik Alan Chekranov holding a pistol and extending one finger -- a common sign used by Islamist militants to mean "one," an attestation of belief in tawhid, or monotheism -- at Red Square in Moscow, possibly in 2012.

February 24, 2015 8:40 AM

The photograph shared on social media shows a fresh-faced, clean-shaven young man. He is smiling. Three gold medals hang around his neck. A second photograph shows a bearded militant clad in military fatigues. He is carrying a gun.

The man in the first photograph is named Alan Chekranov, and he is (or, more accurately, was) Tajikistan's three-time national champion in mixed martial arts and a university student. The man in the second picture is Abu Muhammad al-Tajiki, a Tajik Islamic State militant who was recently killed in a U.S.-led air strike near Kirkuk in Iraq.

It is hard to believe, but Alan Chekranov and Abu Muhammad al-Tajiki are the same person. How did a promising young martial artist and student transform into an Islamic State (IS) militant in such a short time?

From Chekranov to Al-Tajiki

Reports that a notorious Tajik militant had been killed in Iraq emerged on social media earlier this month, after a series U.S.-led air strikes against IS hit near Kirkuk. Four Tajiks were killed, but the one who gained most attention was 21-year-old Abu Muhammad al-Tajiki, or al-Tochiki, who had become known after appearing in videos where he talked about "jihad" in Syria.

Russian-language social media came alive with speculation about the transformation of Chekranov to al-Tajiki.

According to RFE/RL's Tajik service, Radio Ozodi, Chekranov was born in 1993 in the Shahrtuz region in southwestern Tajikistan. His mother, Maria Chekranova, was an Ossetian and his father was a Tajik named Umar. Chekranov had been registered in official documents under his mother's maiden name.

In 2010, Chekranov graduated from School No. 4 in the Shahrtuz district and went on to study at the Tajik-Russian Slavic University.

Things seemed to go wrong for Chekranov, however; in 2012, he was expelled from the university for absenteeism and he went to Russia to work.

Radicalized in Russia?

A photograph purportedly of Chekranov shows the young man posing in Moscow's Red Square, his left index finger raised, a common sign used by militants to mean "one," an attestation of belief in tawhid, or monotheism. In his right hand, Chekranov holds what appears to be a pistol. The photograph is undated, but if it is indeed of Chekranov, then it must have been taken in 2012, since according to Radio Ozodi the young man spent just one year in Russia. During his time in that country, Chekranov fell in with a group of young men from the North Caucasus and through them, according to Radio Ozodi, he went to Iraq in 2013.

It is not clear when Chekranov -- who renamed and reinvented himself as Abu Muhammad al-Tajiki -- joined IS, but his comrades reported that before his death he was fighting against the Kurdish Peshmerga near Kirkuk in Iraq.

Was Chekranov radicalized in Russia -- as has been the case with other young men and women from Central Asia who have gone to that country as foreign labor migrants -- or was he already interested in radical Islam before he was thrown out of his university?

There are no clear answers to that question, but Radio Ozodi's interviews with the young Tajik's former associates in Tajikistan suggest that Chekranov might have been radicalized in Moscow.

Radio Ozodi spoke by telephone with Chekranov's friend, Sharfor Tagoev, who said that he last saw the young man at the start of 2013, when he returned to Tajikistan after a year in Russia.

"Before, he used to go to training all the time and he only talked about mixed martial arts. But when he came back from Russia, he had a little beard, and he used different words. He looked disappointed and said that he wasn't going to go back to being a [labor] migrant and he was going back to the Slavic University to continue his studies. But later we found out he'd left for Russia," Tagoev said.

Why would a university student join IS?

In his native Shahrutz region, Chekranov was known as a sportsman and as the son of "Umar the Bearded," Radio Ozodi discovered.

There appeared to be widespread disbelief among those who had known the successful young man that he would join IS.

Those who knew Chekranov said that they could not imagine why a student of the prestigious Tajik-Russian Slavic University would end up going to Iraq with an extremist group.

Local representatives of the Religious Affairs Department, whose duties involve working with young people to prevent radicalization, said they had not even been aware Chekranov was in Iraq until news of his death there emerged.

A local journalist, Adolat Saifulloeva, visited Chekranov's parents and reported that the family had learned -- either via the Internet or from the authorities -- that the young man had been killed. The family was in mourning and did not want to speak to reporters.

When Saifulloeva visited the family home, Chekranov's sister Sabina emerged and refused the journalist entry, saying that her parents did not want to see anyone.

Chekranov's second sister, Shahnoza, told the reporter that her brother was still alive and was in Iran.

The principal of Chekranov's former high school said that the authorities had taken all of the school's files relating to the former student, but said that she did not know the young man personally.

Tajiks in Syria and Iraq

It is not known how many Tajik nationals are fighting in Syria and Iraq. Official figures, according to Radio Ozodi, put the number at 300. According to Edward Lemon, who tracks Tajik fighters in Syria, there is online evidence of just 67 fighters, though there are likely to be more unreported Tajiks in Syria and Iraq.

According to Radio Ozodi, many of the Tajik militants fighting in the Middle East traveled to Syria and Iraq via Russia, where they had been working as labor migrants. As in Chekranov's case, the authorities only find out that these labor migrants had gone to Syria or Iraq after news of their deaths is reported on social media.

The director of the Shahrutz region's Religious Affairs Department, Alikhon Mulloev, told Radio Ozodi that there are several young men from the region in Syria but he was not authorized to disclose their names.

-- Joanna Paraszczuk
    There was no 'second picture' in the article at the time of posting.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    There was no 'second picture' in the article at the time of posting.
    Seems like extremism is becoming a disease of sorts.

Anonymous MMA fighter in Aberdeen

Mixed martial arts fighter dies after Aberdeen bout
    By Associated Press Published: Apr 28, 2015 at 7:07 AM PDT

ABERDEEN, Wash. (AP) - A mixed martial arts fighter who collapsed after an amateur bout in Aberdeen on Saturday has died at Harborview Medical Center in Seattle.

KBKW-AM radio in Aberdeen reports the fighter passed away Monday evening after suffering kidney failure.

He had finished his match during an event at the SouthShore Mall and had returned to the dressing room when he collapsed. Fight promoter Scott Bean says the man, who is from Aberdeen, initially seemed OK after his fight, other than being exhausted. But he collapsed, wasn't breathing and had no pulse when Bean and a nurse started CPR.

He was brought to a local emergency room before being transferred to Harborview.

His identity has not been released.
    I imagine his name will be released soon. Death is hard to cover up.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Not sure if this has been posted inthis thread or elsewhere.

This was sad to watch as he got progressively worse and no one stops the fight. WTF ? Makes me cringe when I see dumb asses on youtube backyard fighting and stuff. Yeah, you guys are prepared should something really go wrong. Not that I was not dumb once before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaK-rBBMd6Q

Quote Originally Posted by boxerbilly View Post
    This was sad to watch as he got progressively worse and no one stops the fight. WTF ? Makes me cringe when I see dumb asses on youtube backyard fighting and stuff. Yeah, you guys are prepared should something really go wrong. Not that I was not dumb once before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaK-rBBMd6Q
    I have been involved in many full contact fights in my time ( boxing, karate, judo, vale tudo, MT, sick) and all the ones in which trained personal were involved they always acted very well.
    This was a horrific display of incompetence on all sides, perhaps the worse was the fighters actual trainer.
    The ref did NOT follow protocol and neither did the ring side physician.
    Lawsuit is in order IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Seems like extremism is becoming a disease of sorts.
    It is hard to understand when you stand in one side of the opinion and don't want to understand the other side. If you have seen poverty, inequality and disparity at all levels then people will do things we consider extremist. Living in a world of relative peace and enjoying the benefits of what big countries do to small countries, where organized corruption and disorganized corruption are rampant more than ever, of course, all those communist, terrorist and extremists are wrong. Don't think when they take the power they will do the same. A vicious circle.

Quote Originally Posted by mig View Post
    It is hard to understand when you stand in one side of the opinion and don't want to understand the other side. If you have seen poverty, inequality and disparity at all levels then people will do things we consider extremist. Living in a world of relative peace and enjoying the benefits of what big countries do to small countries, where organized corruption and disorganized corruption are rampant more than ever, of course, all those communist, terrorist and extremists are wrong. Don't think when they take the power they will do the same. A vicious circle.
    Perhaps, but since I have never been an "ends justifies the means" type of person AND I have served and seen first hand what extremism does to ALL involved, my perspective maybe a bit different.
    Extremism has never worked of course, simply because it is always in the minority, BUT if does make its mark simply because the majority try, all too often to no avail, to meet them "half way": without understanding that there is no hal way with extremism.

The unammed Aberdeen fighter was Jameston Lee-Yaw

Medical examiner’s office attributes MMA fighter’s death to kidney failure
    Originally published April 30, 2015 at 3:14 pm
    By Jake Schild
    The Daily World, Aberdeen, Wash. (TNS)

An Aberdeen kick boxer, Jameston Lee-Yaw, 47, died following a mixed martial arts fight Saturday night at the SouthShore Mall. He was initially taken to Grays Harbor Community Hospital after the fight then transferred to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle where he died Monday.

The King County Medical Examiner’s Office reported the cause of death as renal failure.

He was competing at an event billed as the “Brawl at the Mall” when he collapsed in the ring and was carried by teammates to a dressing room, said Jameston’s ex-wife Linda Lee-Yaw, who was at the fight.

She said that during the match a referee twice asked Jameston if he was going to “tap out,” meaning to tap the mat or the opponent to signal he was conceding defeat, and each time Jameston responded by waving his arm in the air. After being taken to the dressing room by teammates, it was discovered that the fighter was having trouble breathing. Aberdeen Fire Department paramedics were called and he was taken to Community Hospital before being transferred to Harborview Medical center, where he died Monday night.

Twin Dragons Center Mixed Martial Arts, which has training facilities at the mall, put on the event. Head instructor Scott Bean said Lee-Yaw “passed his pre-fight check with flying colors,” adding that any kidney problems prior to the fight were undetectable.

Jerome Lee-Yaw, Jameston’s brother, said he did not believe Jameston’s death was a result of the fight, but as far as he knew, his brother was healthy. “It’s a shock to everybody; we never saw this coming,” he said. “We’re trying to come to terms to it.”

Yee-Law’s ex-wife said a doctor at Harborview told her Jameston’s death was caused by kidney failure. She said she was never aware of Jameston having problems with his kidneys in the past.

“When I’ve taken him to the hospital before, they’ve never said anything about kidney conditions,” she said. “… It happened so fast. Nothing was wrong before (the fight).”

A doctor at Harborview said it was “hard to say” what caused Jameston’s kidney failure in the first place, said Linda.

Jerome and his brother moved to the United States from Trinidad more than 20 years ago. Linda Yee-Law, who had been married to Jameston for 17 years before they divorced last September, said the couple has two children together.

Twin Dragons is located in the mall and has a training facility license from the state in order to host MMA events.

Amateur bouts that take place with a training facility license are not required to have medical staff on hand at the events and leave the training facility and its staff responsible for the health and safety of participants.

Brad Benfield of the Washington Department of Licensing said that as a matter of protocol, someone from the department will meet with Twin Dragon employees in the near future to inquire about the incident.
    Sounds like there's still a lot of ambiguity. Sounds very tragic.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Bruno Inacio Nunes

Jiu-jitsu Instructor Killed Trying To Disarm A Robber On A Bus
    by kitt canaria - Jun 23, 2015

A news from odia Violence in Rio de Janeiro has claimed another victim on the 20th of June. The jiu-Jitsu instructor at the academy of Ipanema Fight, Bruno Inacio Nunes, aged 37, was recently killed in an attempted robbery that occurred on a bus. The powerful black belt tried to disarm the robber but was shot in the head and reported to be dead.

At the time, the bus was not very full of people, and when the single gunman came and started to take the belongings of his victims, Bruno thought that he would be able to disarm him and get away. He took his opportunity but was later shot in the head, right above his left eyebrow, killing him instantly.

The master, who has been involved as a victim of a robbery twice, is survived by his three children. In the interview, one of the onlookers described what had happened in frightening detail. They were all perplexed because none of them could understand what had happened. For his bravery, the entire community recognized his abilities and the legacy that he lets live on in his students. He was an honorable man who always tried to do the right thing, instilling a sense of pride and friendship in his students. His death was not in vain, and more people than ever are now interested in learning the martial art in order to continue on his legacy.
    how very tragic.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Indeed. The article makes it sound almost like he had tried, missed and then after that executed - not like it happened all at one skirmish. They had a detailed account but didn't give a lot, which sounds like "they were mean about it too". They've been having problems down there awhile that keep getting worse.
    "The perfect way to do, is to be" ~ Lao Tzu

Yang Jian Bing

Making weight. Such a pointless tragedy in the big scheme of things....

ONE Championship’s Yang Jian Bing Pronounced Dead After Issues With Weight Cut
    December 11, 2015 Ent Imports Staff

Yang Jian Bing, who was scheduled to fight at Friday’s ONE Championship: ‘Spirit Of Champions’, has been pronounced dead at San Juan De Dios Hospital, Pasay City.

Bing was set to fight at Friday’s event, against Geje Eustaquio, before being pulled from the card before the official weigh-ins went down on Thursday, due to complications with his weight cut.

According to a report from dojodrifter.com, Bing arrived at the hospital at 2:43PM Thursday afternoon and was “unconscious and non-responsive.” At 12:06PM Friday he was pronounced dead.

The report also states that hospital staff said the cause of death was Rhabdomyolysis:

which is the breakdown of muscle tissue that leads to the release of muscle fiber contents into the blood, which is speculated as a result of the weight cut.

CEO of ONE Championship, Victor Cui, issues this statement:

“There is nothing more profoundly tragic and sad than when a member of the ONE Championship family, current or past, passes away. Our thoughts and prayers are with the family and loved ones of Yang Jian Bing. We will work closely with the family and offer all the support they need in any way we can during this very difficult time. Yang passed away this afternoon. The cause of death is still being determined.”

ENTImports.com would like to extend out condolences and will keep you updated on any further details.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

shooting death

Sounds like they couldn't keep it in the cage. So tragic.

Fatal shooting at mixed-martial arts studio in Tustin leads to arrest
    POSTED BY DEBBIE L. SKLAR ON MARCH 25, 2016 IN OC

A 44-year-old man shot to death at a Tustin mixed-martial arts and boxing training center was identified today by the Orange County coroner's office, as police tried to figure how why he was killed. Photo via OnScene.TV.

A Santa Ana man was arrested Friday on suspicion of fatally shooting the owner of a Tustin mixed-martial arts and boxing training center, a shooting witnesses said was the culmination of a protracted dispute between teacher and former student.

Kirk Vernell Price, 53, was arrested about 1 a.m. and booked into the Orange County Jail on suspicion of murder in the death of Tustin resident Fahness Lutalo, 44, according to Tustin police Lt. Bob Wright. He was being held in lieu of $1 million bail.

Price was arrested near the Orange County Jail in Santa Ana when Tustin police were notified by sheriff’s deputies that the suspect was in their sights, Wright said. Investigators suspect Price was trying to turn himself in, Wright said.

The shooting occurred about 12:10 p.m. Thursday at the OC Boxing & MMA Academy, in a strip mall at 14051 Newport Ave. Police were called to the gym in response to a “shots fired” call, according to Wright.

Wright said investigators were working to determine a motive for the shooting. Gym workers told reporters at the scene that Price was a former student of Lutalo’s but the two had a parting of the ways.

Price was allegedly thrown out of a previous gym Lutalo operated, but he showed up at OC Boxing & MMA Academy over the weekend and was told to leave, according to media reports from the scene.

Although Price was arrested, police were still asking for the public’s help tracking down the suspect’s vehicle and murder weapon, Wright said.

The vehicle was described as a black 2013 Chevrolet Spark with tinted windows, license number 7BMS565. Anyone with information on the case was urged to call police at (714) 573-3250.

Price has a lengthy criminal history for robbery, assault with a deadly weapon and various parole violations, Wright said.

Lutalo’s father, Jerry Wilson, told reporters outside the gym today that his son “exceeded any expectations or dreams or hopes that I could ever have for him.”

“He was absolutely my hero, my man, my boy,” Wilson said. “This (gym) was his dream. This was his dream and he made it happen. And he paid the price for it. I mean, he worked, he sacrificed, he did everything he needed to do to get here, and he finally got here.”

According to the gym’s website, Lutalo had more than 30 years experience in martial arts and was a former wrestling coach at Valencia High School.

Supporters have established a crowd-funding site for the father of three to help defray bills.

Price walked into the gym, asked Lutalo a question and is accused of opening fire on Lutalo at least a dozen times, Senior Deputy District Attorney Scott Simmons said.

Simmons plans to go over evidence with police on Monday and decide then on the filing of charges, he said.

— City News Service
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips