Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The Choy Lay Fut Project

Quote Originally Posted by PM View Post
    as for sau cheui, 2 characters are used (Yale romanisation of Cantonese + character):

sau cheui 掃搥

saau cheui 哨搥

i like the videos, good job! i am looking forward to see next parts
    as you already probably saw, we are used to using the first one..... but thanks for noting it isn't wrong
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

I'm on a roll....

Chaap Choih

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XI8rzaUaTQ0

I'll film a few more by the end of the week. I hope they are of interest to some of you.

Good stuff! I like all the vids!
    A unique snowflake

great stuff, its really interesting.

Be sure to give us a video on your Kahp that you spoke of in the deadly techniques topic

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    uh, NO.....

the "so" in "so geuk" and in "so choih" is the same "so", same character 掃 .... to "sweep"...

Now, is there something useful you'd like to say or contribute?
    [URL="http://hk.geocities.com/ansonso2000/CLF02.htm"]

gwa 'saau' charp the three treasures of clf

useful enuff?

Quote Originally Posted by chasincharpchui View Post
    [URL="http://hk.geocities.com/ansonso2000/CLF02.htm"]

gwa 'saau' charp the three treasures of clf

useful enuff?
    Let's just clarify. Are you Chinese? Do you speak Chinese? do you read Chinese? Are you aware that often different characters are used? Do you know what "white characters" are?

Feel free to answer any or all of the above. I note that a good portion of your posts are whines and complaints. "That isn't Buk Sing", "that's not so choih" etc etc etc..... why so negative? Have you considered more bran in your diet?

love and bullets
    LKFMDC

As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

I'm not a CLF practitioner, but does not look right. It means whistle/chirp. You don't have a whistle punch in CLF do you?

To me, lkfmdc has the correct character: . How do you describe the sou/saau choi? Does it perform a sweeping function?

Here is a list of the 10 fist seeds of CLF from Lee Koon Hung's CLF Hong Kong site:

穿、拿、掛、捎、插、拋、扱、標、頂、撞
    My wonky romanization: chuen, naa, gwaa, saau, tsaap, paau, kuup, biu, ding, jong.

Here is what he has to say about sou/saau:

鄉音之誤,應叫掃。橫掃千軍之意
    Mistake due to village pronunciation, should be sou (sweep). Has the intent of sweeping away 1000 soldiers/warriors.

Is the problem that one group is calling is "so" choy with so meaning sweep and the other group saying sow/sau choy with the sow/sau meaning arm? Thus the different characters?

Just a question.

Quote Originally Posted by CLFNole View Post
    Is the problem that one group is calling is "so" choy with so meaning sweep and the other group saying sow/sau choy with the sow/sau meaning arm? Thus the different characters?

Just a question.
    No. They are not using the same character as "arm".

concept is good.

I would change the presentation though.

1. describe
    2.show the shape
    3.show the shape on a mitt
    4.show the shape on a bag
    5.show the shape v an opponent (gear up and really make it work)

also, it's a good idea to script yourself and to stick to the script, that way none of your talk gets left out and nothing irrelevant gets layered in.

that's my observations.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Well, since SOMEONE opened a "can of worms"

My gneral principle is, unless it is hideously and obviously wrong and/or "deceptive" if that is what your tradition calls it, if that's the character they use, etc.... I have no problem with it. There is a LOT of variation within even tight lineages, a HUGE system is going to have more

This is the bone I picked (rather clean) with Doc Fai Wong in SF one year, with his "I have all the correct answers/I'm special" crap.... yeah, it's nice you have the original Kuen Po, there are still a lot of illiterate farmers who can't even read, much less write, who would still kick your donkey across the bay

The character we use not only means "sweep", it has the hand radical. You'll notice that the character LKH's site uses also has the hand radical. LInguitically speaking, this makes a lot of sense....

The character presented as the "correct one" by someone

From the "concise Chinese dictionary" printed in Hong Kong 1995

(n) an outpost, a guard station, a whistle
    (v) whistle, patrol, act as scout

Not only does the character LACK the hand radical, it's radical is in fact a "sound preserver" and isn't usually associated with ACTION

The definition also doesn't really fit

My bet, I'd bet at least $5, is that it is a "white character". If you don't know what a "white character" is, I'd suggest you not debate "correct characters". It would be like a grade school kid debating quantum physics, ie no tools to grasp the subject at hand

My bet, I'd bet at least $5, is that it is a "white character". If you don't know what a "white character" is, I'd suggest you not debate "correct characters". It would be like a grade school kid debating quantum physics, ie no tools to grasp the subject at hand
    I'd take your bet and counter that it is a mis-copying of the character with the hand radical that has perpetuated within a particular lineage.

Your analysis is spot on.

BTW, 哨捎掃 sound totally different in standard Cantonese. So the variation could come from village/regional dialects as LKH suggests.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    concept is good.

I would change the presentation though.

1. describe
    2.show the shape
    3.show the shape on a mitt
    4.show the shape on a bag
    5.show the shape v an opponent (gear up and really make it work)

also, it's a good idea to script yourself and to stick to the script, that way none of your talk gets left out and nothing irrelevant gets layered in.

that's my observations.
    I agree.

That was closer to my original intent. I will prepare more in advance and script them out a bit. I would like to get my point across with a lot less chat. Check out the next one I film and let me know if you think it's closer to that concept.

I'm sure I might even wind up re-shooting these, as I left out some key stuff I wanted to include.

Quote Originally Posted by CFT View Post

BTW, 哨捎掃 sound totally different in standard Cantonese.
    CTS did NOT speak standard Cantonese

CTS did NOT speak standard Cantonese
    I bet he didn't! Was it his way or the highway?