Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The Choy Lay Fut Project

Quote Originally Posted by CFT View Post
    I bet he didn't! Was it his way or the highway?
    Of course.

But that had nothing to do with his dialect/language...lol

He spoke a mix of Cantonese and Toisanese. More Cantonese if he were speaking to us, but lots of Toi San vocabulary would sneak in, not to mention a variety of colloquialisms that when WE would use them, had us sounding like 70 year old Chinese country folk!

Embarrassing!

I've gotten all sorts of strange looks for the vocabulary I use, that I learned from Sifu.... I also have a Toi San accent even in my Mandarin... a few visiting scholars from CHina said my Mandarin sounded like Premier Li Peng's (if you were around in the 90's, you'll get that)
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Great video! Much better than most of the instructional dvds out there, and it's free

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    Well, since SOMEONE opened a "can of worms"

My gneral principle is, unless it is hideously and obviously wrong and/or "deceptive" if that is what your tradition calls it, if that's the character they use, etc.... I have no problem with it. There is a LOT of variation within even tight lineages, a HUGE system is going to have more

This is the bone I picked (rather clean) with Doc Fai Wong in SF one year, with his "I have all the correct answers/I'm special" crap.... yeah, it's nice you have the original Kuen Po, there are still a lot of illiterate farmers who can't even read, much less write, who would still kick your donkey across the bay

The character we use not only means "sweep", it has the hand radical. You'll notice that the character LKH's site uses also has the hand radical. LInguitically speaking, this makes a lot of sense....

The character presented as the "correct one" by someone

From the "concise Chinese dictionary" printed in Hong Kong 1995

(n) an outpost, a guard station, a whistle
    (v) whistle, patrol, act as scout

Not only does the character LACK the hand radical, it's radical is in fact a "sound preserver" and isn't usually associated with ACTION

The definition also doesn't really fit

My bet, I'd bet at least $5, is that it is a "white character". If you don't know what a "white character" is, I'd suggest you not debate "correct characters". It would be like a grade school kid debating quantum physics, ie no tools to grasp the subject at hand
    yes im chinese, i speak cantonese on a daily basis
    i know alot more than you think
    first of all the term white character, or white language is used outside hong kong
    in hong kong wat we talk and how we write, even if it has a "sound preserver" its still cantonese. cantonese is considered more speaking than writing, you cant really write the way u talk in literally which brings in why 哨 character is used, LKH website they made it politically correct for u in which they use 捎, because u use hand to do saau choy.

Quote Originally Posted by CFT View Post
    I'm not a CLF practitioner, but does not look right. It means whistle/chirp. You don't have a whistle punch in CLF do you?

To me, lkfmdc has the correct character: . How do you describe the sou/saau choi? Does it perform a sweeping function?

Here is a list of the 10 fist seeds of CLF from Lee Koon Hung's CLF Hong Kong site:

穿、拿、掛、 捎、插、拋、扱、標、頂、撞
    My wonky romanization: chuen, naa, gwaa, saau, tsaap, paau, kuup, biu, ding, jong.

Here is what he has to say about sou/saau:

鄉音之誤,應叫掃。橫掃千軍之意
    Mistake due to village pronunciation, should be sou (sweep). Has the intent of sweeping away 1000 soldiers/warriors.
    toisan language sunwui language, heck mandarin, it dont matter

in cantonese its 捎

and lkfmdc dont be a pu$$y, dont refer to me as "SOMEONE", say chasincharpchui next time.
    quote me, i dont care
    Last edited by chasincharpchui; 11-14-2007 at 02:18 PM.

Good work

[QUOTE=yaoli;816558]very good idea!

since you have asked for suggestion and opinions, i would suggest you use whiping or relaxed power in your sou choi. you have much power i think it will be more power, fast, and you will have less difficulty breathing in your presentation. your waist should be more flexible.

it would be interesting to see how you continue from sou choi because i see that you are a bit unbalancedin your stance.

Please fell free to post a vid of yourself, with application against focus mitts, pads or bag.

Anyway, I thought it was a good presentation.
    Great work!

Quote Originally Posted by chasincharpchui View Post

yes im chinese, i speak cantonese on a daily basis
    Fantastic, so at least you have some basis for discussion

i know alot more than you think
    how do you know what I "think"? hmmmmmm...... never mind, you're probably right, I probably think you're just a petulant forum member looking to complain about every post on here

why 哨 character is used, LKH website they made it politically correct for u in which they use 捎, because u use hand to do saau choy
    Aside from the obvious linguistic difficulty in that you aren't supposed to change radicals as if you are changing your socks, it returns us again to the basic quesiton of why you think "sentry punch" is any more valid, or "ultra correct" as opposed to "sweep punch"?

dont be an idiot, ofcoz clf hasnt got a whistle punch

toisan language sunwui language, heck mandarin, it dont matter

in cantonese its 捎
    Ah, but as you yourself just mentioned, there is no "Cantonese" when it comes to writing... there are just characters.....

And means basicly "taking" which is also sort of a funny description of "so choih" doncha think?

and dont be a pu$$y, dont refer to me as "SOMEONE", say chasincharpchui next time.
    eh gads! you need the new KFO t-shirt

quote me, i dont care
    sure thing, you're now quoted.... run out and tell your friends!

As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    how do you know what I "think"? hmmmmmm...... never mind, you're probably right, I probably think you're just a petulant forum member looking to complain about every post on here !
    its not complaininging, its critisizing and asking questions.

Aside from the obvious linguistic difficulty in that you aren't supposed to change radicals as if you are changing your socks, it returns us again to the basic quesiton of why you think "sentry punch" is any more valid, or "ultra correct" as opposed to "sweep punch"?
    same can be asked why u think sweep punch is more correct. i didn't decide to make this stuff up yesterday. it was you that decided that sweep punch was ultra correct.

i said 掃 and 捎 were different

And means basicly "taking" which is also sort of a funny description of "so choih" doncha think?
    well 'sau choy' can be done on many angles.
    funny way to describe a sau choy, if its coming down on u at a 80 degree angle, isnt it? ur no longer sweeping are u?

eh gads! you need the new KFO t-shirt

sure thing, you're now quoted.... run out and tell your friends
    dats right joke ur way out of everything, afterall it is the internet, i guess this is the only place u can do it right?

its not complaininging, its critisizing
    it's criticizing without much reason, which is basicly whinning and biotching... increasingly so the more you post here

why u think sweep punch is more correct. i didn't decide to make this stuff up yesterday. it was you that decided that sweep punch was ultra correct.
    hey, here's an idea, why don't you quote where I said something even remotely like that? Go ahead, I dare you

i said 掃 and 捎 were different
    and if my aunt had a chorizo she'd be my uncle, what is your point?

dats right joke ur way out of everything,
    I'm sorry, it's just that you are very hard to take seriously

PS; congrats on figuring out finally how to use the quote function, your forum fu is strong
    Last edited by lkfmdc; 11-14-2007 at 03:11 PM.

[QUOTE=Gwa Sow Chop;817096]
    Quote Originally Posted by yaoli View Post
    very good idea!

since you have asked for suggestion and opinions, i would suggest you use whiping or relaxed power in your sou choi. you have much power i think it will be more power, fast, and you will have less difficulty breathing in your presentation. your waist should be more flexible.

it would be interesting to see how you continue from sou choi because i see that you are a bit unbalancedin your stance.

Please fell free to post a vid of yourself, with application against focus mitts, pads or bag.

Anyway, I thought it was a good presentation.
    Great work!
    Thank you kind sir.

Cantonese is considered more speaking than writing, you cant really write the way u talk in literally which brings in why 哨 character is used, LKH website they made it politically correct for u in which they use 捎, because u use hand to do saau choy.
    That's not quite true. There are colloquial Cantonese characters too:

佢 qu2 哋di4/mi4 睇di4 啲 di1 唔 wu2 嘢 ye3 乜 mie1/nie4 咩 mie1 嚟 li2
    孭 mie1 (carry on one’s back) 係 xi4 喺 xi2 諗 shen3 慳 qian1 (to save money, energy)
    冇 mao3 靚 liang4/jing4 乸 na3 (雞乸 仔 zai3/zi3 嘅 ge2/kai4 瞓 fen3 咗 zuo5
    啖 dan4 噉 dan4 啱 yan2 曱 yue1 甴 you2/zha2 咁 han2/xian2 鑊 huo4 畀 bi4 髀 bi4(雞髀)俾 bi3 罅 xia4(手指罅) 嗰 ge3 噚 xun2 脷 li4 捽 cu4 冚 kan3 冧 lin2
    姣 jiao1嬲 niao3 搵 wen4 撳/搇 qin4 (to press) 嗻 zhe1(嘅嗻)啫 ze2(嘅啫)奀 en1
    咭 ji1 即 ji2 企 qi3 喎 wai1 攞 luo2 搦 nuo4 踭 zheng1 梗 geng3 攰 gui4 癐 gui4
    啩 gua3 (唔係啩 噃 bo5/fan1 焗 ju2 躀 guan4 嚡 hai2 擝 meng1 孖 ma1/zi1
    梘 jian3 嚿 huo4 戙 dong4 叻 le4(叻仔) 嘞 le1 (係嘞 躉 dun3 (擁躉,監躉)
    偈 jie2/ji4 箍 gu1 煲 bao1 搉 que4 燶 nong2 揦 la/la4 喇la1/la3 鱲la4/lie4 (赤鱲角)
    孻 nai2 (孻尾) 嚹 la3 躝 lan2 讕 lan2 嚦 li4 (嚦仔)佬 lao3 擸 la4 褸 lv3
    嘍 lou2 (嘍口) 摙 lian3 (摙車) 噏 xi1(亂噏) 廿 nian4 咪 mi 飲 yin3 食 shi2 識 shi2
    埠 bu4 懵 meng3 掹 meng2 踎 mou2 搣 mie4 腩 na3 揇 nan3 呃 e4 嗌 ai4 屙 e1
    鈪 e4 晏 yan4 罌 ying1 拗 ao4 氹 dang4 亦 yi4 翳 yi4 軚 dai4 蝕 shi4 衰 shuai1
    戇 gang4/zhuang4

The question is: "what should the sou in sou chui mean"?
    Clearly neither 哨 nor 捎 has any kind of meaning in the martial context, whereas
    掃 does.

Why did you withdraw the personal attack? You don't stand by your words?

Quote Originally Posted by Lama Pai Sifu View Post
    Ongoing project - shooting video of CLF, new clips each week. Breakdown of techniques, forms, applications, strategy, theory, etc.

I hope everyone likes it, I look forward to your comments, criticism and suggestions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8yUMb5n1i0
    good job with clip # 3 chop choi...this is revolutionary **** what you doing here peeps gonna have to make their dvd's real good if they're putting them out for sale!!.pz

hm,seriously...imagine if all the instructors on this kung fu mag forum did this like kfmag real world ****s...eventually it would turn into an online village...kfmag chen style team conferance with the praying mantis team all on youtube and ****

That'd be some marvelous ****...Gene needs to be doing this for the magazine...

Lama:

Just curious did your sifu, CTS, also teach you to twist (corkscrew motion) the chaap choy in certain cases?

Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by CLFNole View Post
    Lama:

Just curious did your sifu, CTS, also teach you to twist (corkscrew motion) the chaap choy in certain cases?

Peace.
    Yes he did.

I could probably spend two to three hours talking about the different applications and variations, i.e., angles, stances, etc.

I will definatly put up more clips about chaap.