Martial arts expert, 32, who tried to drown his NHS nurse girlfriend after accusing her of having an affair as she worked 12-hour shifts on Covid ward in lockdown is spared jail
Scott Richards pushed ex-girlfriend Kathryn Rich's head under water last year
He was found guilty of 'cruel acts of violence' against NHS nurse Ms Rich, 40
Judge said he had 'brought shame' on all those involved in martial art sports
By ISABELLA NIKOLIC FOR MAILONLINE

PUBLISHED: 12:53 EDT, 14 September 2021 | UPDATED: 13:13 EDT, 14 September 2021

A martial arts expert has been spared jail after he tried to drown his NHS nurse girlfriend when their relationship hit the rocks in lockdown.

Jealous Scott Richards, 32, pushed his ex-girlfriend Kathryn Rich's head under water as she was about to have a bath.

Richards, of Treherbert, Rhondda, was found guilty of 'cruel acts of violence' against NHS nurse Ms Rich, 40, his girlfriend for 11 years.

A judge said he had 'brought shame' on all those involved in martial art sports but let him off with a suspended prison sentence.

Scott Richards (left), 32, pushed his ex-girlfriend Kathryn Rich's (right) head under water as she was about to have a bath

The domestic violence started in the first lockdown when Richards had to close his martial arts training school and Ms Rich was working 12-hour shifts on Covid wards.

Prosecutor Rosamund Rutter said: 'The defendant subjected his partner to frightening and cruel acts of violence, which may be partly due to the lockdown.

'He pushed her head into the bath water and held it down. She could not breathe and desperately tried to pull her head back but the defendant had a firm grip.'

Merthyr Tydfil Crown Court heard Ms Rich rang police to say her partner had tried to drown her on April 4 last year.

She also told them about an incident on March 24, the day after the national lockdown started, when Richards headbutted her after finding a 'personal note' about her feelings towards a work colleague.

Richards, of Treherbert, Rhondda, was found guilty of 'cruel acts of violence' against NHS nurse Ms Rich (pictured together), 40, his girlfriend for 11 years

Ms Rich denied she was having an affair with a workmate and said it was 'just flirting'.

She said the bathroom attack was sparked by her commenting about another man in fancy dress on Facebook.

Mother-of-four Ms Rich told the court: 'Covid had just hit and we were told to have a bath and wash our uniforms when we got home from work.

'The bath was run when Scott came upstairs and pushed me backwards with quite a lot of force.

'The bath was pretty full, he pushed my head and shoulders under water. His hand was on the back of my neck, I couldn't get out of the water, it was probably only seconds but it felt longer.

The domestic violence started in the first lockdown when Richards had to close his martial arts training school and Ms Rich was working 12-hour shifts on Covid wards

'When he let go I couldn't see, I couldn't breathe, I couldn't hear. I swallowed water, my clothing was soaked.'

Richards chose not to give evidence in his defence at the four-day trial.

He was found guilty of assaulting Ms Rich in the bathroom by a majority verdict of 11-1. He was unanimously found guilty of the headbutt assault.

In a victim personal statement Ms Rich told Cardiff Crown Court: 'When Scott tried to drown me I didn't know if I was going to come back up again.

'We had been together for 11 years and I genuinely loved him but I can't believe it's come to this.

Prosecutor Rosamund Rutter said: 'The defendant subjected his partner to frightening and cruel acts of violence, which may be partly due to the lockdown'

'I have been working in a hospital environment under the pressure of Covid-19 which has had an impact on me.'

Richards was given a 30-week prison sentence suspended for 18 months and ordered to carry out 200 hours unpaid work.

Judge Caroline Rees QC made him the subject of a two-year restraining order preventing him from contacting his former partner.

She told Richards: 'It must have been absolutely terrifying for Ms Rich - she told the court she thought she was going to die.

'You have shamed those involved in your sport by showing uncontrolled violence and jealous outbursts.'
threads
Busted-Martial-Artists
Covid