Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Give it up to the elderly!!!!!

Blog Entries

Give it up to the elderly!!!!!

Here is a CLF spar form from Guangzhou..two old guys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZESF2bY9CKs
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Blog Entries
    Awesome! I love seeing stuff like this and videos of my Si Tai Gung Poon Seng at 86 rockin some CLF.

These guys have no quit in them.
    The 10 Elements of Choy Lay Fut:
    Kum, Na, Gwa, Sau, Chop, Pow, Kup, Biu, Ding, Jong

The 13 Principles of Taijiquan:
    Ward Off, Roll Back, Press, Push, Pluck, Elbow, Shoulder, Split, Forward, Back, Left, Right, Central Equilibrium

And it doesn't hurt to practice stuff from:
    Mounts, Guards, and Side Mounts!

Austin Kung-Fu Academy

Thumbs up Great

Thank you,

for putting this on the forum , these sifu's are enjoying themselves, pleasure to see this. Be nice to see more video of the older m/a folks and to have them talk on the forum.

My best to u

ron
    Visit the past in order to discover something new.

[url]http://wahquekungfu.proboards100.com

nice to see vitality in older people.
    It keeps us mindful of teh value of continued practice.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

well I hope that I get to that age and retain that degree of energy, tell me, as someone who has no knowledge of that system is the main aim to attack each others fists

Quote Originally Posted by esox View Post
    well I hope that I get to that age and retain that degree of energy, tell me, as someone who has no knowledge of that system is the main aim to attack each others fists
    lol. they are doing a choreographed set and are not trying to hit each other while at the same time expressing the movement of the style.

having said that, I have several different ways to attack the limbs as drawn from the cmas I have been taught
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Greetings,

I like, very much.

mickey

Nice one, hskwarrior

Still busting tornado kicks in their 80's. AWESOME!
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Gotta love this kind of stuff, he could whip my Dad's ass...
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia

Slightly OT

This is a harsh story, but you got to give it up for kungfu grannies living in hell.
    Kenya's kungfu grannies combat attacks with fists
    By TOM ODULA
    The Associated Press
    Wednesday, May 12, 2010; 11:53 AM

NAIROBI, Kenya -- A two-finger poke to the eyes, a punch to the solar plexus, a kick to the groin, then turn and run, the instructor barks.

But this is not your typical self-defense class. The trainer is an elderly Kenyan woman who is teaching her peers how to combat a spate of rape attacks targeting elderly women in the slums. One Nairobi hospital treated 437 rape victims older than 60 last year.

In the sludge-covered alleyways of the Korogocho slum, 50 women, many of them grandmothers, have enrolled in twice-a-week self-defense classes at a run-down community center. The women say they must rely on themselves because the police rarely patrol the dark paths that wind through the maze of iron-roofed shanties. When suspected rapists are reported to the police, they often bribe their way to freedom, the women say.

At the Korogocho community hall, elderly women clad in headscarves, long skirts and petticoats pound punching bags with the heels of their bare feet.

"No, no, no!" screams 70-year-old Mary Wangui as she pounds the heavy hitting pad. Her open-palm blows force a 20-something instructor, Sheila Kariuki, to fall backward. A group of around 30 women between the ages of 50 and 80 cheer on Wangui as they wait their turn.
    ad_icon

"When we hit the pad with an open palm we are training to target the nose, the solar plexus or the groin to hurt an attacker so that it can give you a chance to escape. Shouting 'no' repetitively is meant to draw the attention of people so that they can assist you," said Wangui, who has been training for almost two years.

"Don't feel any mercy. Was he coming to read the Bible with you?" Kariuki asks the women.

One of the causes of elderly rape is a belief by criminals that intercourse with an elderly women can cure them of AIDS. Others think that raping an elderly woman will cleanse their sins after committing crimes, Kariuki said.

Ten elderly women have been raped and killed the last two years in Korogocho, but no suspects have been arrested, Kariuki said. Many other rapes are believed to have taken place but not reported.

Elizabeth Olwenya is a grandmother to four children under the age of 5 who were orphaned after two of Olwenya's daughters died of AIDS. The 55-year-old Olwenya was one of the first to take the self-defense classes three years ago, and said the skills she learned help protect her grandchildren.

"The life here is not good. People here can rape you and even your child," said Olwenya, a widow.

Dr. Jake Sinclair, a founding member of Ujamaa, a non-governmental organization that helps rape victims and holds the self-defense classes, said many class members are grandmothers motivated by the fact that they are raising their children's children. The classes can provide protection for both generations, he said.

For the orphans to have a chance of success in life, the grandmothers must be given skills and capital to start small businesses, Sinclair said. High crime rates threaten income-generating activities.

"If they lose that they have nothing," he said. "In most cases the mothers and the fathers have died of HIV and if the grandmother cannot support them or protect them the kids will end up on the streets or the Kenya youth authority, which is like prison. If they end up on the streets it is prostitution or thuggery."

Through a grandmother's care, the children have a chance to finish their education and break past the barrier of poverty, he said.

The Gender Recovery Center at the Nairobi Women's Hospital treated 2,357 victims of rape last year. Of the 1,118 adults who were victims of the crime, 223 women over the age of 60 - almost 20 percent of the victims, said the center's monitoring and evaluation officer, Lillian Kasina. National crime statistics are lower than the hospital's numbers, because of the stigma of reporting rape.

"Many of the reporting desks at police stations are manned by men who see rape as a crime of pleasure rather than seeing it as a crime that violates women's dignity," said Harun Ndubi, a human rights official with the group Haki Focus.

A national police spokesman, Charles Owino, said that reports of rape in general rose in 2008 and 2009, although he would not release statistics. He said the increase is because of more awareness of the crime and the introduction of stronger laws against sexual offenders.

Owino said the allegation that police do not act on reported cases could be true, and that if a police officer ignores a complaint, the victim or her family should talk to someone higher up the chain of command. "You can go all the way up and talk to the police commissioner," Owino said.

Julia Karinge, who is in her 80s and gets assistance from Ujamaa, said she has been raped twice.

"I did not resist either time because I did not want to die. They killed a friend of mine and dumped her body outside my house," said Karinge, who is not taking the defense classes.

No arrests were made, though she reported the crime to police and could identify her attacker.

"You need to pay them to get them to do anything," she said.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    Here is a CLF spar form from Guangzhou..two old guys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZESF2bY9CKs
    i know these 2 gentlemen, i have met them at demo in Fatsaan, Naamhoi :-) i thought it was Hap ga/baak hok/lama paai
    PM

Practical Hung Kyun 實用洪拳

www.practicalhungkyun.com

Kf grannies

Really sad to read this Gene, God bless them.

7th dan at 77!

Stop, or face the chop: The karate expert lollipop lady grandmother who is ready to mete out tough justice
    By Daily Mail Reporter
    Last updated at 9:47 AM on 5th July 2010

Motorists beware! A karate expert lollipop lady is ready to deal with inconsiderate drivers after getting an historic martial arts award at the age of 77.

Grandmother Ena Mallett is the first woman ever to get a 7th dan black belt in Spirit Combat International ju-jitsu.

The widowed mother-of-two teaches weekly classes in the sport for children and adults at the village hall near her home in South Walsham, Norfolk.

Historic honour: 77-year-old lollipop lady Ena Mallett has become the first woman to earn a 7th dan black belt in Spirit Combat karate

She also helps out out twice a day as a lollipop lady helping children cross outside the village school.

Mrs Mallett started learning karate to keep fit in 1979 and became a Spirit Combat International instructor in 1987.

Karate expert: Mrs Mallett started learning karate in 1979 and has been an instructor since 1987

Despite being only 5 ft 4 ins tall, she can throw around much larger opponents using self-defence techniques.

She said: 'I might be getting on a bit - but I still get stuck in myself during lessons. I don't just teach from the sidelines.

'I can still deal with any big bloke who comes along. I am not treated any different to anyone else.

'The children at the school all know about my ju-jitsu skills and they think it is brilliant. A lot of them come to my classes.'

Mrs Mallett has only used her martial arts skills once in a real-life situation, when she out a 14-year-old boy in a wrist lock around seven-years-ago. She grabbed hold of the teenager to stop him stealing a packet of Polo mints while she was working part-time in a local shop.

She said: 'It gave him the shock of his life and he quickly dropped the mints. I let him go and he ran away.

'Spirit combat is all about using self control - but you have to be prepared for violence to defend yourself. I love teaching it and I certainly have no plans to give it up. I don't see why I should put my feet up.'

She also teaches more sedate ladies' keep fit classes and relaxes by dog walking and gardening.
    Lollipop lady. What a quaint term.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Blog Entries
    hahahah very cool gene
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Thumbs up Granny

Awesome