Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Busted Martial Artists

Hybrid View

Busted Martial Artists

It seems like I'm getting more and more of these sorts of news stories, sad to say. I can't tell if I'm just hyper-sensitive or it's a growing phenomena. So I'm going to start compiling them here, just to see where it goes. I know there's some archived threads too, which could be linked in to this one.

Karate Instructor Accused Of Molesting Student
    Monday, November 12, 2007 12:27:42 AM

A karate instructor remains locked up on charges he molested at least one of his young students.

Stephen Gressett, 20, is accused of molesting a girl under 12 years old during a class at United Tiger Martial Arts on Conroy Windermere Road.

The girl said the incident happened more than a year ago. She told police there were no adults around at the time.

Gressett denies the allegation. He's charged with lewd or lascivious molestation.

Investigators are now interviewing other students in class.
    Marital Arts Instructor Accused Of Touching Female Student
    POSTED: 5:44 pm EST November 12, 2007

ORANGE COUNTY, Fla. -- Some parents are standing by their children's martial arts instructor who was arrested over the weekend. Stephen Gressett, 20, is accused of touching one of his female students inappropriately at the United Tiger Martial Arts on Conroy Road.

The alleged incident happened at the center more than a year ago. The girl reported it to police last week. Gressett has been teaching at the center for four years. Other parents told Eyewitness News he is innocent.

"I've known Stephen. I've watched him grow as an adult and he's just become more professional," said parent Deanna Batt.

Eyewitness News tried to interview Gressett from jail, but he declined. He also refused to take a polygraph test.

Police said they are now looking into the case further to see if there are any more potential victims.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

cjurakpt Guest

more grist for the mill...

this story was featured locally in NY about a month ago...

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?se...cal&id=5725423

Karate instructor accused of sexual abuse may be facing more charges
    Also accused of secretly videotaping his students

Eyewitness News
    (Long Island-WABC, Oct. 25, 2007) - A Karate instructor on Long Island charged with sexual abuse is now being investigated for even more disturbing incidents.
    Suffolk County police say James Bonfiglio, the owner of Excel Karate Academy in Ronkonkoma, may have secretly videotaped his students and had questionable relationships with as many as 10 boys.
    Bonfiglio, 37 was arrested Oct. 11 after a 13-year-old male student told authorities that Bonfiglio took him to his Ronkonkoma apartment and abused him in July. He pleaded not guilty to committing a sexual act, a felony and misdemeanor sexual abuse and endangering the welfare of a child, and was released on $60,000 bond.
    The additional charges against the instructor were uncovered through the first investigation and are expected to be presented to a grand jury. Authorities say the found hidden cameras that were discovered at Bonfiglio's apartment and in the karate school's bathroom.
    Also, Suffolk County police say a computer seized during the search of Bonfiglio's apartment had videos of naked boys, that may have been shot with the secret cameras.
    Bonfiglio's attorney, Jerry Garguilo, said he was not aware of additional charges and had not spoken with the district attorney's office. "I cannot speak intelligently on that at this point," he said.

Ewww....
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

I'm thinking of a word....

ah, yes

CAS TRA TION
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

here, here !!
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

cjurakpt Guest
    and it's right in my neighborhood as well - ick...

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    I'm thinking of a word....

ah, yes

CAS TRA TION

you mean 3 words?
    castration is 1 word.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

gressett

[SIZE="7"]He is innocent of the false allegations![/SIZE]

Newspaper article on MA abuse

Check this out. Dumb****ery at its strip mall finest.

http://www.wavy.com/Global/story.asp?S=7411739

what kind of **** is that. she deserves to go to jail. i remember when you couldn;t arrest a martial arts instructor for things like that. actually i remember this one case of a guy killing his student by kicking him in the chest. this wasn;t that long ago like 1999-2000 maybe even 2001. and he got off scott free, parents couldn;t even sue him cause they signed a waiver

seriously. wtf? 11 years old!! i think they should institute an eye for an eye policy on this woman and have a person kick her in the abdomen 200+ times. but it would have to be comparable to a full grown adult kicking a child. i suggest getting a professional soccer player or NFL kicker to do it.

More on 200 kicks

Go to the website, there's a nice video article.

Karate teacher erred, others say
    A Suffolk instructor has been charged with felony child endangerment for allegedly kicking a student 200 times.
    By ALICIA P.Q. WITTMEYER | 247-4535
    November 29, 2007

When Scott Hayes first started training in karate in 1982, it wasn't unusual for his instructors to strike or land blows on their students.

"Things were a lot more rough back then," said Hayes, who now runs Scott Hayes Karate in Newport News. "If you were looking at the clock, instead of paying attention to your teacher, you would have been taken down."

But karate training has changed a lot since those days, Hayes said.

And what police say a Suffolk instructor did to one of her students — kicking him more than 200 times, causing him to need medical treatment — is not an accepted teaching technique, he and other local karate instructors say.

"It's not going to toughen them up, it's not going to improve their physical fitness," Hayes said. "Overall, I think it was bad judgment."

Susan Bateman, 47, turned herself in to Suffolk police last week after the parents of one of her students filed a complaint. She's been charged with felony child endangerment.

Police say Bateman challenged her students to see how many kicks in the rib and abdomen area they could receive before stopping. Two took over 200 kicks, and one of them, an 11-year-old boy, told his parents a week after the incident had taken place because he needed medical attention and likely has a broken rib, police said.

Bateman is an instructor at husband Jeff Bateman's School of Karate, which has studios in Hampton and Suffolk.

Several local instructors knew Jeff Bateman professionally, and said they were surprised and shocked when they heard the police account of what happened. Susan Bateman is listed in the World Karate Union Hall of Fame as 2001 Associate Instructor of the year.

The Batemans could not be reached for comment Tuesday.

People training in karate do learn sometimes how to take a blow, said Steve Pohle, who owns Shotokan Karate in Newport News. But, he said, it's a technique taught to people much older than 11.

"They don't have the muscle mass or the bone density to handle high impacts," Pohle said. "In my system, we definitely do not have contact with kids like that."

Since news of Bateman's arrest came out, some instructors say they've had to deal with nervous parents who aren't sure what they're getting their kids into by enrolling them in martial arts classes.

Clint Green, who runs Green's Martial Arts Center in Hampton, said he had one parent who had read about the case online, and wasn't sure about bringing her son back in.

"We had to tell her, no, no, no, we do not do things that way," Green said. "It'll probably be something that'll come up a few times in the near future."

Parents interested in enrolling their children in martial arts classes should be sure to watch a few classes, and talk to other parents who have children enrolled in the schools, to make sure they're being taught by reputable teachers, instructors say. And if parents aren't allowed to watch, that's a bad sign.

Police say they don't know whether parents were watching on the day the kicks occurred at Bateman's studio.

"If the instructor says they can't see, run," Pohle said. "Run, don't walk."
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

opps, i thought it said 'busty teachers', wrong thread
    Bless you

Quote Originally Posted by BruceSteveRoy View Post
    seriously. wtf? 11 years old!! i think they should institute an eye for an eye policy on this woman and have a person kick her in the abdomen 200+ times. but it would have to be comparable to a full grown adult kicking a child. i suggest getting a professional soccer player or NFL kicker to do it.
    couldn't be an NFL kicker, we all know that they're the pu$$ies of the sports world.
    Everyone's favorite wooden dummy

"All over people thinking martial arts is for making sexy body. That one is a wrong. Martial art is for making sexy mind and sexy spirit"- Master Po
    http://www.greencloud.net

Don't be a victim. Be the dominant turkey.

Quote Originally Posted by doug maverick View Post
    what kind of **** is that. she deserves to go to jail. i remember when you couldn;t arrest a martial arts instructor for things like that. actually i remember this one case of a guy killing his student by kicking him in the chest. this wasn;t that long ago like 1999-2000 maybe even 2001. and he got off scott free, parents couldn;t even sue him cause they signed a waiver
    I wonder if it was just a freak accident. Like just one kick during sparring or something.

A waiver is not blanket protection. The instructors still have to take reasonable steps and use their experience and common sense to keep the students from being injured or they can be held liable.